IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
AVELINO MARTINEZ - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering manager at BGH Tech Partner
Very user friendly, but needs more documentation to help understand how to use the product
  • "We have found that Zabbix is more easy to use than other applications."
  • "There are not too much documentation or manuals. We found the tutorials very easy to understand but do not go deep enough in the use of Zabbix. We need more manuals, proper use, documentation, etc."

What is our primary use case?

We are doing a project for telemetry but not just for IT. We are making a project for monitoring different parameters for radio communication sites, so we collect information about alarms and analog values, not specifically IT projects. We need an application that can collect SNMP traps and show on the screen and take an historical report or graph. We contract with Zabbix for companies that have Zabbix for telemetry. We are integrating the system to our communications systems. This system is used in mission critical applications for radio communications, police, firemen's, health, et cetera.

How has it helped my organization?

It has gave us one powerfull tool to develop monitoring systems tailored to customer needs and maintennance staf .

What is most valuable?

We have found that Zabbix is more easy to use than other applications.

What needs improvement?

There are not too much documentation or manuals. We found the tutorials very easy to understand but do not go deep enough in the use of Zabbix. We need more manuals, proper use, documentation, etc. We would like to see some applications or plugins that you can use to construct applications for use with Zabbix. For example, we are starting using Zabbix with Grafana for presentations and apparently they match very easily but you need to put in a lot of work to get the final results. If you have some applications that you can add one to one, you can construct the project more quickly.

Zabbix
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Six months

Good after tune each module aplication and sensors data colection .

Great for our applications . We use with Graffana GUI application that supports gauges, bars , time related graphs and also maps .

The support is good. When we have something difficult to implement, we explain what the problems are and we get an answer quickly.

Many of our clients have an IT department and most of them work with WhatsUp Gold but some of them are starting using Zabbix and when we started this project for telemetry it was not specifically for IT. We found many examples using Zabbix. Apparently, Zabbix is more friendly user for not-IT people.

50% each . We bought it throug a vendor and he trained our in house engineers . Then we developed the system , supported by the vendor who also proveded us with most of the sensors ans data collect devices .

Local Vendor expertise is one of the most valuable advantage for quick answer to any problem . We can rate him as 9 of 10.

Start costs are very low , but you mast considere the costs of have trained an enthusistic people to develop and tune any application ant the time to invest . This also have a positive side : you can win experience to solve new chalenges that when you buy standar solutions focused in one market

I would rate Zabbix at a seven on a scale of ten.

We have some clients that have WhatsUp Gold but a few say they are oriented specifically for IT data centers, but that's not the orientation of this project. We need to decide to use either Zabbix or WhatsUp Gold. Some clients ask for WhatsUp Gold but most of the applications are not near to our needs. Some people are using Zabbix and recommend Zabbix. Now we need to compare both applications in order to decide what is the more efficient for our project.

What other advice do I have?

If you have IT monitoring needs , ask your IT System expert and probably he/she will opt for Whats Up gold , but if you need Monitoring Setveces besides IT and many assorted technologies , you can look at Zabbix

WimCoenen - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at Conscia
Ready to go out of the box, easy to integrate with Microsoft Office, and very robust
  • "They've already added extra features, such as noise-canceling and facial recognition, which is great."
  • "One of the things we don't like is that Zabbix has a license structure with a price that is high compared to the competition. It's very high, for example, compared to something like Microsoft Teams."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to collaborate with each other internally as a company for video conferencing, meetings, teams, and those kinds of things. We implement it in customer environments as well for the same reasons, and also for eHealth solutions, for instance, in hospitals.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the way we work, the way our customers work. With eHealth, for instance, surgeons can make appointments with patients at a distance and they can still see each other. That's very, very good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect is it's very robust. It has a lot of features and it also integrates with a lot of the Cisco hardware around it, such as Smartboards, video conferencing units, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. It's a really robust and complete solution.

The initial setup is easy.

It's a stable solution.

We find the product scalable.

The use is very straightforward. It's actually pretty much ready to go out of the box. It's very easy to start using it, to be honest.

You can also integrate it without Microsoft Office 365 and put it in the agenda of Outlook for instance, for meetings.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we don't like is that Zabbix has a license structure with a price that is high compared to the competition. It's very high, for example, compared to something like Microsoft Teams.

We have used the product since Cisco acquired it. It's been maybe ten years or so at this point.

The stability is great. There aren't bugs. It's not glitchy and it doesn't freeze. it's reliable.

The scalability on offer is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

All of our people in the company in Europe use Zabbix for sure. That's at least 1,000. We also use it for events to stream video content, to customers, for instance, on a fairly large scale.

Technical support is very good. We have straight contact with the Cisco technical assistance center. If there is anything that has to be changed or improved, then we can directly call them.

We previously used Microsoft Teams. The number of possibilities in Zabbix was better than in Teams, and it also integrates very well with the hardware solutions from Cisco which was why we switched.

In general, the initial setup is very straightforward. It's not a difficult implementation process.

There isn't much staff needed for deployment or maintenance tasks.

If more functionality is added to it, that might be a reason to use it more and more. However, as it is, at this point, we are already intensive users.

We buy the solution yearly. I'm not very aware of what the actual pricing and the licensing are, however, I know that for extra features, there is a possibility to buy a little bit more.

We looked at Zoom, however, we never ended up using it.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we use it and we implement it as a partner.

We're always on the latest version. It's automatically updated via the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Zabbix
July 2022
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tchidat Linda - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer of Telecommunication at Gold Telecom
Simple to use with a quick setup
  • "The initial setup was very quick. The first time it was long because I didn't know it yet. I was only using Windows. The first time was very difficult because of the operating system."
  • "My company wanted to do an exercise command to access IT from Cameroon. They wanted to access an FSS to a second host with second equipment that was on another coast but it is not possible on Zabbix to do it. They want to directly access from the front-end of Zabbix to access a prompt in Zabbix to an access terminal. In the front-end, there is no way to do that. That would be an important improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We needed a tool to know what the space inside of the infrastructure is like. My work was to use Zabbix to get information about the IT infrastructure in the village or in the towns that are very far from the headquarters. I had to use Zabbix to provide information with maps that the IT was working and so that the headquarters can see in real-time what the healyh of the IT infrastructure we had deployed in the electrical network is.

After this experience, I tried Zabbix in african organization based in my country and it was used to monitor the IT infrastructures in three countries, cameroon, benin and ivory coast. For the moment, Zabbix is not yet very popular here but I really appreciate it and really want to make people know that it's very simple to use.

What is most valuable?

The feature that i find most valuable is the statefull map. In fact Zabbix map designing tools permit to made a monitoring statefull map with topologies similar to the reals IT networks maps

What needs improvement?

My company wanted to do an exercise command to access IT from Cameroon. They wanted to access an FSS to a second host with second equipment that was on another coast but it is not possible on Zabbix to do it. They want to directly access from the front-end of Zabbix to access a prompt in Zabbix to an access terminal. In the front-end, there is no way to do that. That would be an important improvement.

I use this product since 4 years

It is very scalable because I tried version 5. I used 5 from 0 and I see that they have improved many things, but there is not yet this option to have an access terminal where you have many functionalities.

The scalability works fine because the community is very active. When a new version comes out, we can see that they have tried to add.

The technical support is very quick. When I have a problem and I post it in the community, they answer me very quickly. For now, i don't need any technical support.

The initial setup was very quick. The first time it was long because I didn't know it yet. I was only using Windows. The first time was very difficult because of the operating system.

I implement Zabbix in-house with as outsourcing offficials webs tutorials

Zabbix exploitation has dispensed with financing frequent visits of technical area through alerts, notifications and statefull map. Thus the return on investment is more than 100%

Zabbix is an effectice cheaper network monitoring solution beacause it doesn't need any ongoing cost due to licensing

Before choosing Zabbix we evaluated Nagios but we were not comfortable with notifications messages syntaxs and configurations

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Zabbix to people who want to monitor a simple network.

I have found that the literature on the website is not very easy for some people. They want to be in those to read more about Zabbix about how to install it and the normal problems are.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Rupesh Chamatkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Monitoring Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Good pricing and scales well but needs better dashboards
  • "The pricing of the product is reasonable."
  • "The stability could be better."

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source.

The infrastructure monitoring is great. Then, Zabbix being open-source, and with the whole platform, we have good network monitoring there. You have these ping monitors, synthetic monitors, that are really helpful.

The solution can scale well.

Technical support is great.

The pricing of the product is reasonable.

For internal monitoring and network monitoring the solution is really good.

What needs improvement?

It's open-source software, and due to that, they really don't have legacy service monitorings like APM, or build-on capabilities, and the pure part of the transaction-related data. It is good for internal network monitoring, however, it's not for the service we are monitoring, microservices.

The stability could be better.

Basically, they need to provide automated monitoring, synthetic monitoring, and then APM monitoring as well as more on microservices or technology space, maybe like Java, .NET, Datadog, et cetera - these kinds of add-on instrumentations. They need to work somewhat on the dashboard and alerting side. Dashboards are not that good. They can improve on them.

With Zabbix, I just started as an open-source strategy moving from the enterprise version. It has been six months.

It's not extremely stable.

n terms of infrastructure, you have to tune based on your requirements. You're monitoring 1,000 or 10,000 systems, so it depends on what you're monitoring, and you have to tune it. They don't have a tuning table or sizing recommendations. However, they have the beta version of it. Certainly, on the console side, they need to improve a lot in terms of stability and performance, and bottlenecks of the product. Whatever data we process with Zabbix goes to Postgre or MySQL. Right now, we are trying to use Postgre. They are using it to do a lot of time scaling stuff so that we can support SQL data. However, it seems like they have limitations with the Postgre database.

The solution is scalable. We have admins and users and 50 IT people on it. However, the systems we are monitoring are more than 10,000. You can monitor more than 10,000 UIs. That's our target.

We are using the open-source version and therefore we don't get technical support. However, if someone wants to opt for it, they can get it and technical support is great, even though we haven't used it yet.

The pricing is very reasonable. Zabbix is very cheap. Compared to other tools like Nagios and others, Zabbix is very cheap.

What other advice do I have?

If a company wants to implement the solution, I suggest they go with the latest version. It is a stable version. Preferably they should use it with the database, and not the AWS database, as it doesn't give you time scaling. You have to install your own Postgre and you can apply the time scaling feature in that. That way, you can add your data competition to Zabbix.

You have to do a lot of tuning on cache and view sizing. If your clients are on a remote site, you usually use proxies. Therefore, data will be sent to proxies, and then from proxies, it will be sent to the server.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Florent ADODO - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Open-source, reliable monitoring that helped solve my connection problems
  • "During my testing, the features that I like the most are that it can be integrated with my system, and it provides me with reports of all of my servers."
  • "I would like to remotely connect to the computer, and Zabbix doesn't have this capability."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to resolve connection issues for my YouTube access.

What is most valuable?

I am still exploring all of the features that this solution offers. At this time, I have only downloaded the system log and scripts.

During my testing, the features that I like the most are that it can be integrated with my system, and it provides me with reports of all of my servers. This allows me to know what is going on with my servers.

Also, I can create a script to download all of my configurations.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if I can remotely restart my servers or to know how a guest is doing on the server. I would like to remotely connect to the computer, and Zabbix doesn't have this capability.

I have to use another software such as Emperor to log into the computer to see what is going on with the servers.

I would like to see a RAS integrated with Zabbix for monitoring, also to be able to check the server and to have an automatic display to do what we need to do.

We are in the testing phases of Zabbix. I have been testing it for three months.

We are currently deploying it on my VMware to test the product and see how it works. Once I have all of the skills and requirements, I can process it into a real deployment.

Zabbix is a stable solution.

I am currently the only user in my organization.

I plan to use Zabbix in the future, as it has helped me resolve my connection issue.

I have not contacted technical support. When I have an issue, I research their YouTube channel and watch their videos.

You have to be patient. It helped to resolve the issues.

Previously, I was using the PRTG Network Monitor. It's an expensive solution.

I chose Zabbix because it's a free edition, and I don't require a lot of monitoring. Also, I was limited.

The initial setup was fine, it was simple.

For a proper installation, it can take up to two weeks.

I completed the installation myself.

I installed the server, and then the client on the Windows machine to make the link.

It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

I have not tested any other solutions. I looked at most of the other products, but we have to pay for them.

To resolve a fixed problem, I would have asked the management to purchase the product, which would take time. Instead, I read the review and installed Zabbix directly to resolve my connection issue.

What other advice do I have?

I am also using this solution to help me with writing my master examination. I need to write something about this solution.

I would recommend this product to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate Zabbix an eight out of ten.

Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Beneficial reports, reliable, useful network overview
  • "I have found that the reporting feature in Zabbix is most valuable. Additionally, the solution has given us bandwidth options, we are able to see where problems are. For example, we noticed a problem that occurred because of a bad interface going in the wireless VLAN."
  • "The user web interface is a little bit too basic, we need to link Zabbix to Grafana to have more options, such as graphs and charts. The interface needs to be improved. Additionally, there could be better integration with Grafana API."

What is our primary use case?

Before the deployment of Zabbix, we experienced some delays on our internet connection, we decided to deploy it and we registered all our network devices, such as switches. We turned on the firewalls in Zabbix. We linked Zabbix to Grafana to receive a more accurate graph.

How has it helped my organization?

From the use of Zabbix, we are now able to see an overview of our bandwidth consumption, a direct view of what links are being used on our backbone switches, and if there is any unusual peak of traffic on our network devices. Before using Zabbix and Grafana, we didn't have any view of the results of our network. We used to connect individually to every single device and collect the data to analyze but now, we have the opportunity to see graphs and charts of all of the network metrics.

What is most valuable?

I have found that the reporting feature in Zabbix is most valuable. Additionally, the solution has given us bandwidth options, we are able to see where problems are. For example, we noticed a problem that occurred because of a bad interface going in the wireless VLAN.

What needs improvement?

The user web interface is a little bit too basic, we need to link Zabbix to Grafana to have more options, such as graphs and charts. The interface needs to be improved. Additionally, there could be better integration with Grafana API.

I have been using Zabbix for a couple of months.

Zabbix is very stable. The resource consumptions are okay.

I cannot give too much information about the scalability features because our test environment is not very large. We have a small environment of only some firewalls and switches. We have some servers also, but we did not register them on Zabbix.

We have two users that are using this solution, the CTO and the principal network engineer.

We do not have plans to increase the solution right now but in two years we will.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I only needed to download the application and then deploy it in the VMware Workstation, that was it. Once the virtual appliance is connected to the network, it will automatically receive access via DHCP. Lastly, we use the interface to configure specific ports, the initial deployment is quite simple.

The time it takes for the deployment takes only a few minutes.

We only require one network engineer for the maintenance of the solution.

We have received a return on investment because the solution is free and any gains we make are profit.

Zabbix and Grafana are both open source products, we only needed to go to their website and download the application and we began to use them. The solutions are free.

What other advice do I have?

Zabbix is a good and very cost-effective product. It does its job very well. We downloaded it for performance monitoring and it's very effective.

I rate Zabbix an eight out of ten.

Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
A great product with good alerts and fair price, but it needs more features and better development model, UI, and scalability
  • "It is a great product. The SNMP protocol tracking feature is good. I really like how it tracks SNMP. The alerts are also great."
  • "Its UI needs to be improved a little bit more so that an end-user is also able to handle it. I can handle it, but others should also be able to handle it in a better way. It becomes complex when we are growing and need to add proxies. We need more scalability features and documentation for different use cases. A lot of articles are available, but they need to be in proper documentation. For example, when you have thousands of servers that have to be monitored in different regions of the world, there should be some kind of documentation to describe how you can create proxies and add them. Sometimes, when you are using the database, it can get overloaded. When the network is growing, the number of transactions becomes very high, and the database gets overloaded. There should be information about how to reduce the load on the MySQL database, which is what Zabbix is using. The market is growing a lot, and it should be enhanced for a lot more things. We are currently bringing enhancements at our end for different use cases. For example, when dockerization is going on, how can we check the logs inside the Dockers. We should also be able to monitor and check the number of logins and add features such as SSO login and two-factor authentication as a protocol. These are the security features and concerns that we have to deal with. Currently, we are developing modules to add features to Zabbix, but they should also work on these features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Zabbix in our project for demo purposes. One of our clients is also using Zabbix. They have a data center, and they use it for internal monitoring. They are on a cloud system.

What is most valuable?

It is a great product. The SNMP protocol tracking feature is good. I really like how it tracks SNMP. The alerts are also great.

What needs improvement?

Its UI needs to be improved a little bit more so that an end-user is also able to handle it. I can handle it, but others should also be able to handle it in a better way.

It becomes complex when we are growing and need to add proxies. We need more scalability features and documentation for different use cases. A lot of articles are available, but they need to be in proper documentation. For example, when you have thousands of servers that have to be monitored in different regions of the world, there should be some kind of documentation to describe how you can create proxies and add them. Sometimes, when you are using the database, it can get overloaded. When the network is growing, the number of transactions becomes very high, and the database gets overloaded. There should be information about how to reduce the load on the MySQL database, which is what Zabbix is using.

I have been using this solution for three to four years.

It is stable up to a level.

When you are growing and need to add proxies and other things, it becomes complex. To deal with this kind of complexity, more scalability features and documentation for different use cases are required.

I did not connect with Zabbix support, but the client's team connected with them. I worked with the client initially, and after that, I gave them access and everything else. They directly sync up with Zabbix's support team.

The initial setup is great. However, later on, when you are scaling it, it becomes complex.

Its licensing is fair. It seems to be much cheaper than others.

What other advice do I have?

Zabbix is a good product. It just requires a better development model, better UI, and better scalability. It also needs more features.

I would rate Zabbix a seven out of ten.

Management Information System Officer at Kenmare Resources Mauritius
Effective monitoring, scalable, and useful online resources
  • "We are able to monitor our virtual infrastructure, virtual machines, windows servers, databases, and the network using a simple network management protocol. We are able to pull almost all the metrics that we want, receive notifications, and have them integrate with telegrams for certain devices that are critical, such as UPSs."
  • "Zabbix does not draw automatic mapping of the network, this is something they should add in the future. There is a lot of effort that is involved in tailoring some of the settings which could be made easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Zabbix in my workplace to monitor the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Zabbix does not draw automatic mapping of the network, this is something they should add in the future. There is a lot of effort that is involved in tailoring some of the settings which could be made easier.

I have been using Zabbix for approximately four years.

Zabbix is scalable because depending on the size of your infrastructure you can have distributed proxies servers across your network that will feed to the main server for the metric. It is similar to branches, where you can have one product for each branch and then the central server speaking in your central location, it works perfectly.

Our entire IT department is using Zabbix, which is 15 people, but we have approximately 600 devices being monitored.

I have never had an issue that I needed to contact support. However, everything I have needed was able to be found online from the community or the Zabbix site manuals. Zabbix does offer support based on a subscription.

I was using Centurion previously but I decided to switch to Zaddix because of costs. I was using the community edition of Centurion and it was very limited but with Zabbix, you can have an enterprise-class monitoring solution for free. I did research quickly and then I phoned Zaddix to see if they could solve all my problems without having to pay anything. This is when they confirmed I could and then I switched.

The initial setup was easy. It took approximately three hours to get the server up and running.

By using Zabbix you minimize the cost of operation because you recieve an enterprise-class monitoring solution for free.

The solution is free to use but they offer support as a paid service. If you can go read the manuals and do the fine-tuning based on your needs, you do not need to pay anything and you will have a full solution.

I have evaluated PRTG and SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

You do not need to spend a lot of money on solutions that have similar functionality, such as PRTG or Solar Winds. With Zabbix, you receive a free enterprise-class monitoring solution for free, as long as you know how to use it.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Zabbix a nine out of ten.

Download our free Zabbix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022