We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Software Test Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great reporting with lots of useful dashboards and excellent flexibility
  • "I was able to do real-time reports myself without having to wait for data import."
  • "There is always a bit of a performance problem. It's a bit slow to load the whole data."

What is our primary use case?

We're using JIRA in combination with Xray as a test management tool.

The Xray module gives us test management capabilities, right. Where we can store tests and test executions and so on. That's basically where we moved our test out and we left Quality Center behind.

With Jira, basically, you have a story. You try to estimate the story and then you have to try to have coverage for each story with test cases. We sometimes use it for our automation perspective. We're using the JIRA Xray API to write bad test results into the tool, through an API call rather than going through the UI. Our continuous testing pipeline in GitLab will automatically update the test results through the Xray API. That's it.

What is most valuable?

The thing that was helpful, in my opinion, was the reporting. I was able to do real-time reports myself without having to wait for data import.

The product has lots of dashboards that could be created also in Confluence using Jira features. I really like that. I am able to make it transparent to everyone where we're standing in regards to, for example, test automation or test coverage. We could easily integrate Confluence with Jira, produce some handmade dashboards, or use the dashboarding inside Jira itself with the various reporting options there.

What needs improvement?

It's totally sufficient to cover our use cases right now. I have no gap at the moment.

There is always a bit of a performance problem. It's a bit slow to load the whole data. When I load those dashboards onto Confluence, it always takes quite a bit of time to get all the data in Confluence. It's a lot of queries.

The only thing that was bothering me was the performance issues where it was very slow.

We started using the solution three years ago. I've used the solution since 2016 personally.

Stability has improved over time. It was crashing quite a bit and the minute it crashes, the organization kind of stands still. It's a huge dependence we have on it. However, it was 99% available in the end. Only some kind of maintenance announcements might affect it. Other than that, it was quite stable.

Likely every single user has Jira as we are fully delivering software with that. It's between three and 5,000 users. It's company-wide and there could be thousands of users. All the development work is documented there. It's used for our agile teams. You have teams that are using agile scrum.

It's very flexible and it supports both ways of working. It's very helpful also with child transformation. The whole organization moves into agile and everybody is relying on those dashboards and daily standups and it has heavy adoption. Everybody's using it.

The solution is easy to scale and that's a bit of a problem. It's highly customizable and you can also destroy Jira by over-customizing things. If you, for example, want to raise a bug and you have 50 mandatory fields, you kind of lose patience with it.

That's not really a Jira problem. That's the customization from inside the bank where there are lots of different requirements being put into the tool and it can destroy the user experience in the end if they over-design it. If it takes you ten minutes to raise a bug due to the mandatory fields. That's really annoying and that's a big problem.

Internally, I've used technical support. I have not had contact with Jira externally.

We have a separate team in the company who is dealing with all the support tickets.

There are three levels of support tickets and they probably have connections directly to Jira people or Xray people.

We're looking into transitioning into possible options in GitLab only. GitLab test management would be a topic. However, there we are not clear about the features yet.

We came from Quality Center, the fat client version, and we moved to JIRA Xray three years ago. Now we're making a decision as to whether we want to move away from JIRA Xray to something else. That's the open question right now.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup of the whole thing. I was just a consumer. We were just migrating our data over from QC into Jira Xray and that migration process was okay.

We lost some data, however, in general, the assets were transferred over and we could continue there and leave the whole old world behind and start working on the new world.

From a migration perspective, it was almost seamless. Afterward, you just had to learn a little bit. That said, it's quite straightforward. The JQL query language was something new at the beginning yet easy to pick up without big pieces of training. You can train yourself pretty well with the documentation that's available on the internet. I was able to teach myself almost everything without having to go into any training.

I can't speak to the maintenance requirements involved. That's handled by another team entirely.

I don't have any details in relation to costs or licensing arrangements.

What other advice do I have?

We have an on-prem installation of Jira. I cannot tell you the version of it. I don't actually care, as long as I can store my stories. They're moving into a soft solution, potentially next year, with it.

I am very happy with the tool. I would recommend others to use Jira anytime, as it's super flexible and there's a lot of things that are not being leveraged at all. There's so much power in the product - we don't even know half of it, I would say, in the organization.

I'd advise new users to not over-customize it. If you just get it out of the box, you already have a really good evolution and you tend to break it by over-customizing it.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides high visibility into the development pipeline
  • "When we run the Jenkins pipeline, the build is already automatically connected to Jira. We've been able to integrate the ecosystem we created using this automation tool."
  • "I'd also like to see better notetaking capabilities so every user can get notes when someone provides comments on a Jira ticket. So if they don't want to provide the comments on the Jira ticket, they can get the personal notes in a Jira tool for every profile."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we're using it as a tracking tool. It helps our development department operate more efficiently while enabling the business side of the company to understand and track things better. For example, if we get a requirement from the business side, they don't tell us the status of the current cover every time. So basically what we do, if we complete development or make it to the development phase, then we can change the status in Jira. If the other departments want to see the progress, they can go to the Jira dashboard. So this reduces the amount of necessary communication between the business side and developers. Developers can mainly focus on the development instead of having to answer questions from other departments.

What is most valuable?

When we get a sign-off for a management request, we must catch it in our email inbox. Now we can get the sign-off through Jira, and I've automated this. For example, we can get the Jenkins pipeline results for every build we create and have that result plugged into Jira. So when we run the Jenkins pipeline, the build is already automatically connected to Jira. We've been able to integrate the ecosystem we created using this automation tool. If you open Jira, you get the development tab there, so you can find out everything a company made under this Jira or what brand is created under this Jira. As a developer, I find this feature valuable.

What needs improvement?

Jira could be simplified and integrated more with standard corporate communications tools. Say, for example, we have one indication of Jira in Confluence. So if we type a Jira ID into Confluence, it gives us all the information about the Jira profile. I would like to see this feature integrated with email platforms so we can just put our Jira ID or Jira link into an email and get all the details automatically. This kind of integration and automation would be helpful.

I'd also like to see better notetaking capabilities so every user can get notes when someone provides comments on a Jira ticket. So if they don't want to provide the comments on the Jira ticket, they can get the personal notes in a Jira tool for every profile. It's not something for the business side, but developers can track what work is finished and what still needs to be done. Jira could integrate better with Jenkins, which isn't fully supported on the Jira dashboard yet. I think it would be good to monitor the build's progress directly. That way, we don't have to attach it. We can do it from the background. Some workflow customization would also be good.

In the initial phase, I was using Jira for development and testing purposes. A story was assigned to me, and I just changed the standards and everything. But in the past six months, I have worked with configurations, adding different workflows, and all the other features.

Jira is pretty stable most of the time. However, we have an intranet on our side, and sometimes there are too many users. My company currently has four different departments at the top level. Each of the four departments has fewer than nine Jira users. My current department has approximately seven or eight users. So there are times when Jira goes down, and we find it difficult to log in. But we are trying to increase the capability of servers. Other than that, it's working fine.

We have migrated to GCP, and we're using the internal cloud servers, so we can easily integrate Jira into a server if we want. Scalability is a matter of cost. We just need to present our management with a valid reason for increasing capacity, and if they approve, it's an easy process for us.

We had to call Jira support for help with integration. For example, when I was trying to integrate Jira with my GitHub bot, I had to provide a specific kind of access and then run some scripts to find out if I had enough available space. After that, it's a smooth process.

The Jira setup is a bit complicated because we're deploying it in our internal servers. So we have to manage a lot of things ourselves. For example, when the new version of Jira comes in, we have to patch our servers and update our certificates. And then, for deployment, we have pipelines that we need to trigger. That's not too hard, but the patching and upgrading can be complex.

If it's a smooth deployment, it just takes 30 minutes because we only have to replicate it on a different server. So currently, we have more than 20 servers. So every time we deploy, we create a replica on every server, which takes time because we have to verify that it's working. In total, it's about two hours of downtime in Jira, so we do this at night.

Currently, more than 10 people are involved with maintenance. For my team, I do the deployment and configurations. But if there is some fundamental change or a serious bug, a separate team handles this.

I don't deal with the money side of things. I just specify the requirements and the company handles everything. We are using it for many tasks so it seems like the price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate JIRA eight out of 10. I think it's a great tool. I have been working with this tool for the past two years and I use it every day.

Google
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MallikKesavaraju
Scaled Agile Consultant at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Great story maps, an excellent overview of team performance, and very scalable
  • "The user story map is excellent. The features can be composed into stories and they can be allocated to each of the sprints in a program increment. It allows you to see all that in the user story map, and you have various dashboards to see the stories in various views. You can see them as a backlog view, for example, or you can see as an actual sprint view."
  • "Whenever you edit a story, whatever you have changed takes a bit of time to save."

What is our primary use case?

I have been the product manager for several years. I use it day in and day out to manage my team. I manage two teams at the moment and they are pretty large teams. Each has a minimum of about 12 people. We use not just agile, we use a scale model framework. All the work is managed through two pieces of software we use. One is called Jira Align. For the portfolio level software, what Jira bought recently, the previous name for the software was AgileCraft. All of the portfolios and features come loaded in Jira Align. From there, they will be composed into stories in Jira. That process is done using programming preventative planning. We do it every three months.

All of the stories are tracked. We have a workflow defined and we have statuses defined. As the team works on the story, the story moves from one status to another and we close them when everything gets carried over to the production release.

What is most valuable?

The workflow is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

There are excellent reports that come out of the data for every sprint so that you can do metrics on each. You can measure how the team is performing with respect to burn down charts, or with respect to how many story points were produced, or how many stories were moved out. For this, you can gauge the performance of the teams very effectively.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs performance improvements. We see that a lot of times it's clocking whenever there's any abuse.

When we switch from one view to the other, it takes some time before that view is presented. The performance for different dashboards, whenever they are loaded, it takes more time than you're comfortable with. Whenever you move from one dashboard view to another dashboard view, then it should come up quickly. Right now it takes a long time and sometimes it clocks. The overall product performance, whenever you switch a view is what they need to work on.

The integration between Jira and Jira Align needs to be better. There's a lot of differences between the two systems. I believe what happened was Jira bought this software from a different company called AgileCraft. And that integration is still in process, and, because of that, there's a lot of differences between the statuses. That sometimes creates a lot of confusion for senior management whenever they're reviewing performance across teams. Better integration between Jira and Jira Align is on the top of my "most desired upgrades" list.

The solution should improve performance when there are multiple users.

I've been using the solution for about seven years now.

Whenever you load different views, it takes time. That's the only major issue. I didn't see any major glitches due to the fact that Atlassian is really good at catching them. The stability of this product is really great. I've been using it for, as I said for six, seven years now. I'm never unhappy with it.

Our entire company, whenever there's a new division that goes into the agile mode of developing software, brings on Jira.

It's really scalable, however, at the same time, you need to really throw hardware at it to offer better response times when you add users. That goes without saying for most of the software.

We currently have 2,000 users on the solution. We plan to continue to increase usage in the future.

We have an internal tech support team for Jira. We contact them whenever we run into issues. We have a platform for IT tickets. We use that to call them. I haven't directly called Jira Atlassian at any point, so I can't speak about their direct technical support.

I have used other packages for agile project management.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, however, we have a Jira administrator and they have a group, and that handles it. I implemented Jira for my teams. I added users to roles on the system. Roles such as developer, administrator, approval, managers, etc. That is all done by myself. In terms of that task, and setting up a project, it's fairly easy.

Implementation is a multi-year process. Right now, the whole company is on Jira. Whenever there's a new group, it gets added, and a new team is created. It's always a work in progress and it's not very time-consuming.

I would say the training of people on how to use Jira effectively takes some time. It's very intuitive, however, at the same time, a little training goes a long way in utilizing the software in a much better manner.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

It's a great piece of software. If you really want to do agile software project management Jira is definitely should be a top choice for you.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

IT Project Manager at Gravity Diagnostics
Designed for project management, meets all IT software development needs, and integrates with Power BI
  • "The roadmap feature and the ability to integrate with Power BI are probably the most valuable features in it. It is a great solution. I absolutely love it. It is a tool that was designed for project management, and it has been awesome to work with it so far. I also love Confluence."
  • "They can maybe dumb down the directions for building the automation a little bit because to be able to build out the automation, I had to play around with it and learn what all the fields meant and what they were referencing. I don't have an IT background originally. My background is in biology, and I got into project management by chance. I am good at it, but I haven't really worked with coding languages. In terms of writing automation, it is easier for devs because they intuitively know what they're being asked, but as a PM who originally didn't have IT experience, it was a little bit daunting at first. It could also have an extra hierarchy to be able to allow tasks under stories. It could be the way it is set up at our organization, but currently, under stories, you can have sub-tasks, but you can't create a task. Being able to customize your hierarchy a little bit more would be beneficial because sometimes, the devs would say, "Well, here's a story, and now we need sub-tasks," but as we were building out the sub-tasks, sometimes we had to go a step lower to dig in a little bit more, and we couldn't do that."

What is our primary use case?

We used it in my previous organization for project management, product management, and release management. In my current organization, where I started working a week ago, we are using Jira strictly for help-desk tickets. We are using DevOps for our release management. So, we've got DevOps, Jira, and some homegrown stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what's going to work best for this new organization.

I've used Jira and Confluence previously, and this is my first time using the help-desk ticketing system. It is cool and not a whole lot different than SolarWinds or Zendesk, except the appearance of it is more Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using Microsoft OneNote for systems engineering and network engineering. It was being used for our documentation, environments, and services, and it was a nightmare. We transitioned everybody and copied everything into Confluence. We were then able to tag specific tickets to the notes, and there were links between what work was recently done and the most updated notes in Confluence.

What is most valuable?

The roadmap feature and the ability to integrate with Power BI are probably the most valuable features in it. It is a great solution. I absolutely love it. It is a tool that was designed for project management, and it has been awesome to work with it so far. I also love Confluence.

What needs improvement?

They can maybe dumb down the directions for building the automation a little bit because to be able to build out the automation, I had to play around with it and learn what all the fields meant and what they were referencing. I don't have an IT background originally. My background is in biology, and I got into project management by chance. I am good at it, but I haven't really worked with coding languages. In terms of writing automation, it is easier for devs because they intuitively know what they're being asked, but as a PM who originally didn't have IT experience, it was a little bit daunting at first.

It could also have an extra hierarchy to be able to allow tasks under stories. It could be the way it is set up at our organization, but currently, under stories, you can have sub-tasks, but you can't create a task. Being able to customize your hierarchy a little bit more would be beneficial because sometimes, the devs would say, "Well, here's a story, and now we need sub-tasks," but as we were building out the sub-tasks, sometimes we had to go a step lower to dig in a little bit more, and we couldn't do that.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It has never gone down for me. It was always reliable, even from the mobile app.

It was fine. It seemed to integrate with all of our systems with ease. At my previous organization, there were probably 500 or 600 people using Jira. There were many different roles including product management, project management, VPs of IT and Ops, IT data services, developers, network engineers, systems engineers, and CBAs. It was a full scale of IT professionals.

At my current organization, where I started working a week ago, we are using Jira, but there are only a handful of people who are actually using it. It is strictly for help-desk tickets. I am trying to implement it and roll it out to the organization on a much larger scale, and I'm going to have to talk to them about pricing and other things. In this new organization, there are probably about 500 or 600 employees in total. Assuming I get the buy-in from everyone, which I don't think would be a problem, I would probably need at least a hundred licenses for users and then expand from there as needed.

I haven't interacted with their technical support, but I bet they would have been awesome.

I have used Smartsheet, MS Project, and Trello. Jira is more software-development-specific and a much easier tool to use.

In my previous organization, I believe its initial setup was complex. I was not at the administrative user level. I was given admin privileges for certain projects but not for the whole Jira. This is the first time I actually have admin privileges over all of Jira, and it was set up for me.

It probably took a few days. It would have also involved a lot of conversations and other stuff.

It would have been in-house. In terms of maintenance, it didn't seem to need maintenance from our side.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise going with the entire Atlassian suite. Don't just use one aspect of Jira, unless you have a very specific need for using bits and pieces. Jira is better when Confluence and everything can be integrated, and you have source code management and all of that from the same software or platform.

I would rate Jira a ten out of ten. I love Jira. It has the ability to just do everything, and it is a one-stop shop for all of your IT software development needs.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
MaheshNattanmai
Sr Project Manager at ITM LLC
Streamlines the process of managing our projects, brings transparency, and is lightweight and easy to use
  • "Overall, it is very intuitive. It is so lightweight and easy to use. It is easy to manage our product backlog and user stories, and it produces great reports."
  • "It is not capturing the number of hours for which each person has worked on certain things. We use many add-ons to let resources enter the time in the user story itself. We use an add-on called Tempo, but it is kind of a lousy add-on. It is not straightforward. Rather than helping us, it creates a lot of confusion. So, instead of looking out for the additional add-on, I would prefer to have the timesheet entered as a part of Jira itself. They are anyways capturing every information they could for each user story, and then we are able to break down all the task lists. For each task, we're also assigning a resource. So, while we're doing it, why can't they allow the users to enter the time that can be created as a report? Right now, we need to acquire the add-on, and the add-on is not great. It is not helping. The add-on is also not free."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to manage my scrum projects and some of the Kanban projects.

In terms of version, they have been updating it every three weeks. It is a kind of a sprint that they do, just like Google Chrome. So, there is no going back and forth. We use a cloud-based application. So, it is always the updated one.

The type of cloud depends on the client. I've been through all kinds of situations: completely public, semi-public, and private. If it is a public cloud, then it is directly from Atlassian. They are providing it. So, there is no middleware.

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely streamlined the process of managing the projects. Earlier, we had a system scattered all over the place. We had information in Excel, Microsoft Project, and some of the other applications that we have, but now, we have everything in Jira itself. So, we create user stories and groom the product backlog. We have kept everything in Jira. It is our single source for project information that anyone can go to. So, we could see a lot of transparency with Jira.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is very intuitive. It is so lightweight and easy to use. It is easy to manage our product backlog and user stories, and it produces great reports.

What needs improvement?

It is good for single projects, but if you have to manage the portfolio level of the projects, they have a few add-ons that we need to buy and integrate. They can improve this part to manage it in a better way.

It is not capturing the number of hours for which each person has worked on certain things. We use many add-ons to let resources enter the time in the user story itself. We use an add-on called Tempo, but it is kind of a lousy add-on. It is not straightforward. Rather than helping us, it creates a lot of confusion. So, instead of looking out for the additional add-on, I would prefer to have the timesheet entered as a part of Jira itself. They are anyways capturing every information they could for each user story, and then we are able to break down all the task lists. For each task, we're also assigning a resource. So, while we're doing it, why can't they allow the users to enter the time that can be created as a report? Right now, we need to acquire the add-on, and the add-on is not great. It is not helping. The add-on is also not free.

There could also be some additional reports.

I have been using Jira for seven to eight years.

Stability-wise, it is very good. It is very lightweight. I have used other enterprise-level products to manage the same kind of scrum and Kanban projects and other projects. Other products have many enterprise-level features, but they're very slow and kind of hard to manage.

It is a cloud-based one, so I don't see much difficulty in scaling it. If you want to go from 100 users to 200 users, you will be able to do it without much hassle.

I've been doing a lot of consulting. So, I've seen from five users to the entire organization with more than 500 people using it.

I did contact them through email and discussion forums. I had a limited opportunity to work with them. So, I don't know much about their support.

Jira is a kind of the last one I settled on. Before that, I have used products such as Rally and VersionOne. These two are enterprise-level scrum and Kanban tools that are similar to Jira.

I have also used Asana and Trello. Trello is lightweight, but I wouldn't call it equivalent to Jira. Jira has many features that not many solutions have.

Most of the time, we are working with the cloud-based one. So, we don't have to set up everything. It is all there. You just buy a monthly subscription package. The workflow configuration, however, would be a bit difficult while you're trying to set it up. In addition, if you have to go down to the permission level, it is a bit different.

What other advice do I have?

Workflow-wise, you need to plan well because once you configure it, you cannot often change a workflow. For each project, the workflow might be different. You might have a development team, a QA team, a configuration team, and a deployment team. When you start a task, you just need to make sure you are covering everyone. In terms of the workflow, you should know what would happen if someone is not there, and what are you going to do. So, you need to make sure that you are covering those things. Other than that, you need to know how much you are going to take care of the hierarchical level permissions. These are two primary things, and then, later on, you can relabel quite a lot of things in terms of how you're using the backlog product and user stories.

I would rate Jira an eight out of 10.

Robert Onesto
Managing Partner at Wingspan Consulting
Consolidates everything and has good metrics, but should have flexible pricing for those users who are only viewers
  • "I like seeing which tickets are open and what our response rate is. They have a lot of good metrics in their system to see what's going on."
  • "I would like our clients' IT group to be able to have oversight without setting up agents. We're managing tickets, and I'd like their IT group to see everything we're doing without having to set them up as agents. There should be a better way of managing their users. I've got such requests, but Jira is expensive, and it is difficult to pay an agent fee for somebody else to view these tickets. Currently, the only way in which I can do that is by setting a user up as an agent, and it becomes cost-prohibitive. They need to do a better job on ticket viewers."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for client ticketing. We have managed services agreements with clients, and we use it when they have issues. It consolidates well with their IT ticket system. We are the first pass on the ticket issues. If it seems that a ticket belongs to them, we can easily pass it onto their system and their people. So, it is a ticket system for our clients.

We are using its cloud version, and it is hosted in Atlassian's cloud system.

How has it helped my organization?

It is not problem resolution by email. It consolidates everything in one place. We have unique cases that don't fit a particular engineer, and we're able to assign those on an ad hoc basis. It is a good process. For example, if it is a network issue, it goes to engineer A, and if it is an Azure issue, it goes to engineer B. So, we are able to quickly route it to whoever needs to resolve the situation without overview intervention. I like that feature.

What is most valuable?

I interface it with Slack, and that's a positive. We get our notifications in Slack, so everybody doesn't have to be an agent in their world for us to see everything, which is a positive.

What needs improvement?

I would like our clients' IT group to be able to have oversight without setting up agents. We're managing tickets, and I'd like their IT group to see everything we're doing without having to set them up as agents. There should be a better way of managing their users. I've got such requests, but Jira is expensive, and it is difficult to pay an agent fee for somebody else to view these tickets. Currently, the only way in which I can do that is by setting a user up as an agent, and it becomes cost-prohibitive. They need to do a better job on ticket viewers.

If they had a customizable dashboard, it would be great. There should be one with a public URL so that I could share it amongst other viewers. This is the beauty of Smartsheets. With Smartsheets, I'm able to have a customized dashboard. I can bring everything into Gantt charts for budgeting, performance, etc. There is one point of accessibility for our clients so that they can see the program in a snapshot and get whatever assets they need. I love that about Smartsheets, and I wish Confluence had something similar.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

Its reliability has never been a problem.

It works for us. We're probably managing about 25 to 30 tickets at a time. It is not like we're pushing the system.

Across the board, we might have about 100 users. Its usage is currently moderate. I would love to focus on one tool, but I use Smartsheets a lot for project planning. I know Confluence and Jira provide reasonable project management, but they're short in some features. So, unfortunately, I have to pretty much go with two tools. Confluence and Jira together make one tool, and Smartsheets is one tool.

I would rate them a five out of five. They are pretty good.

We did Freshservice for a bit. We got a client on Freshservice, and it was good for the time. We didn't really utilize Freshservice at the time. We had set it up for a client, and while setting it up, we customized it. We did a lot of front-end GUI tasks to make it work with their world.

A client pushed us toward Confluence and Jira, and that's how we started with them. I knew about Jira, but I never really used it internally. We had a client with whom we got a managed service agreement, and they said, "Hey, we're using Jira," and that's how we got in.

I did the setup, and it was easy. In terms of the setup, everything was intuitive with Jira. The setup is not intuitive with Confluence. It is not at all intuitive while setting up SSO.

It only took a few hours. It was really quick.

It was set up in-house. We didn't use a consultant.

I don't have the number, but I sure wish Jira was less expensive. Its price point should be a little lower, and it should be more flexible for users who are just ticket viewers.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Other
Project Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Can customize entries and quickly update them
  • "A most valuable feature involves the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly."
  • "Something I do not like about the new version is that there is a need to browse all the way back to the beginning, should a person click on a task that is specifically for his group and wish to go back and look at the other portfolios or people."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Jira for schedule management as well as for making updates to our projects. I mention this in my capacity as a project manager. I most recently used the solution this year and did so for scheduled management of our varied tasks and projects. JIRA is actually used to put together an entire portfolio for each one of the teams, meaning for everybody. The solution listed each of our projects individually, with us needing to provide daily and regular updates.

What is most valuable?

A most valuable feature involves the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly. Unlike what was previously available, the solution allows us to create specific codes and symbols for the individual teams. The new version allows one to customize and to use demarcators. There is a code that can be entered in Align upon completion of a project or task and this apprises the project manager that it is time for its removal.

What needs improvement?

Something I do not like about the new version is that there is a need to browse all the way back to the beginning, should a person click on a task that is specifically for his group and wish to go back and look at the other portfolios or people. However, I cannot state definitively if this situation owes itself to the way our team put the site together or to something administrative. When clicking the back button it would take the person to the wrong page, not to the one he desires. One would actually have no choice but to browse back to the portfolio and to find his group again and open it. Again, it is not clear to me if this problem lies with Jira or with the way our team laid out the site.

I feel Jira is stable. The only hiccup which comes to mind is the one I mentioned, although it is not clear to me if this owed itself to the network we were using or to limitations of the application. Except for this, everything about the solution is stable. The only time a person can not look at the information is when the administrator announces his intention to remove it.

The scalability is pretty good and we started on this process from the moment we started utilizing the solution. While we had only three teams and three sections, between December and January 15th the developers came together and expanded from three to 76 different tasks across the different teams. By February there were over 300 teams. Expansion is easy and did not just encompass our teams but also provided links to others that were outside of our main team set so that there were reference points available.

I would say the tech support is pretty good. I got back a couple of answers in response to an email I sent out.

It was quite easy for me to set up my own pages. I had a field day with creating my own test pages and was able to play around with them and simply test out the different settings. Pulling in new documentation was very easy. The same holds true with pulling in attachments and it was, consequently, easy to set up. As well, I was able to set up certain sub-pages for our team for going in and checking JIRA.

There were initially eight people involved in the maintenance of the solution and deployment of updates. They had the people to whom they answered. We are talking about a large-scale effort. Without taking into account the Jira support line, I would say there were around 12 people managing and administering this version. For our specific team, there were around three. They were the actual decision makers.

I am not in a position to comment on licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

Our team does not use the solution exclusively. There are multiple ones which do, although I cannot state how many teams are doing so. I do know that the entire section of our agency is doing so and this accounts for a lot of people, well over a hundred.

The solution is pretty good and is geared towards those with multiple teams who are using it for the same purposes as us. We use it for providing daily and scrub updates, for which it is really good, as it allows one to track every entry and see when it's entered, timestamp and all. So, if a person has a lot of mission-critical or time-sensitive activities, JIRA is pretty good for tracking and helping to keep everything organized.

While I am still biased towards services at the moment, I rate Jira as an eight out of ten, at it is really good and very functional.

Vice President Quality Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Very scalable and stable and quite useful for agile shops
  • "I like that all of the team members on an agile team can use it. No one is in a separate application."
  • "The reporting needs to be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all issue reporting. The business uses it and we use it in IT as well. Any issue, anything from the help desk to software issues use Jira. It can house test plans, test sets, test executions, and provide some reporting. It's the reporting that's important for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has formalized the workflow process for reporting tracking and stacking and processing issues. It's also added some formal approvals, just for the purpose of formalization of a process workflow.

What is most valuable?

If you're using it in an agile shop, the traceability between epic story's test case defects is very helpful.

I like that all of the team members on an agile team can use it. No one is in a separate application.

The stability is good.

The product can scale, so long as you have storage.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be better. Being able to do some test management would be useful. In the tool, it would be ideal if they could give you some out-of-the-box reports for things like requirement coverage and regression and things of that nature.

I've used the solution off and on for about four years. I used it when it first came out to do some evaluation and we implemented it at a startup. That was when it first started. I've probably only really used it for about eight months on a daily basis.

We have had no downtime, and therefore I don't have anything to say that would be negative. It seems to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

As long as a company has the money for storage, it's scalable to any size. A small company can use it or an enterprise-level company can use it. It works for both.

Currently, we have less than 1,000 users in our organization using the solution.

Jira is extensively used in our organization.

We do plan to increase usage as well. The company purchased it so that it would be scalable. There's not a solid plan right now to add measurable users or increase the size, however, we know that it's available and that's what we were looking for - something that is scalable. The plans are to grow and as that growth happens, either organically, or via the purchase of other financial entities, we can grow the size of the database application and the number of the users.

I did not personally use technical support. I have worked several months with the people who have, and they say that the support is very good.

If the company used something previous to Jira, it was before my time. It possibly could have been Sharepoint, however, I was not with the company at that time.

The solution was implemented before I came to the company.

That said, my understanding is that the company tried to use as much out-of-the-box functionality as possible and it was quite an effort. They spent quite a lot of time formalizing workflows and things of that nature. In the end, it was very well thought out.

We do have a team for maintenance and what takes the most time with any upgrade is going through the changes, the enhancements, the defect fixes, and things like that. The actual time that it takes to physically update it is pretty minimal. However, going through the documentation and meeting with the team to make sure that we have testing covered prior to upgrading is work. We have a test environment prior to pushing it to production. That's what really takes time. It's not the physical update. An update might take two and a half hours and there's a lot of data in there.

My understanding is the company used professional services from Jira and also got some training and stuff of that nature.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We just upgraded the solution. We are on the latest version.

I'd advise potential users to make sure that they talk to the people who are going to be testing and make sure that they know, what metrics they need before they pick a tool, any tool - even if it isn't Jira.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.