IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Murugesh Vellu - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy Manager - SAP / ERP at Cooper Corporation Pvt Ltd
Best for transactional integration of operations, but lacks in reporting
  • "The transactional integration of operations is the best-recommended feature of this product. It provides integration of all operational modules."
  • "The version that we are using lacks in reporting. The reporting feature needs to be constructed more in this product. There can be better scope for mobility. They could include the technical development of reports instead of depending completely on programming. The programming method needs to be easy."

What is most valuable?

The transactional integration of operations is the best-recommended feature of this product. It provides integration of all operational modules.

What needs improvement?

The version that we are using lacks in reporting. The reporting feature needs to be constructed more in this product. There can be better scope for mobility. They could include the technical development of reports instead of depending completely on programming. The programming method needs to be easy.

We have been using SAP ERP for around nine years.  We are using the ECC EHP 8 version, which is not the latest one. SAP HANA is the latest one.

There is not a very simple answer to this. The version that we are using is not too stable. The newer version seems to be good, more scalable, and more stable. We are yet to evaluate the newer version of this.
SAP ERP
April 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is scalable. We have around 180 users. We have licenses for 250 users, but 180 users are actively using the system.

We get technical support from our external consultants. Whenever required, we also directly get technical support from SAP for any information. There is a waiting time for it.

It was complex. As we moved forward, we slowly got used to it. I won't say it is straightforward now. It is still complex, but somehow we got used to it, and we are working with it. The deployment took around eight months.

We used external consultants.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be well prepared to implement this solution. The most important thing is that there should be management involvement. It should not be left alone to the IT team or the applications team. The key to the success of any ERP is the involvement of the management. I would rate SAP ERP a six out of ten. I won't rate it more than the average scale. This rating is based on the experience with the current version, which has a lot of scope for improvement. If I use the latest version, I might move the ranking up. I have heard that the newest version has some capabilities to overcome the issues faced by the users in the present version. We are planning to implement the newer version. The industry or the current situation is holding us back. After we are out of this pandemic situation and the industry downturn, we will, of course, implement it.

Senior Application Delivery Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Fully-integrated, very stable, and works well
  • "It is an integrated application, and it has been working really well. Earlier, there were different companies for different applications for manufacturing, finance controlling, logistics, and quality. It probably was the first fully integrated application. Whenever somebody is entering any data, for example, invoice data or ordering data, everyone with a right to see this data can see it in the system."
  • "We will not make any major changes, and we are not expecting any enhancements or new features from SAP because they already have a new solution. No development is happening on SAP ERP because SAP has come up with a new version called SAP S/4HANA, which is memory-based technology. We are planning to upgrade to SAP S/4HANA, but we don't know when it will happen. We are in the preparation phase."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP ERP for business support, business administration, and financial aid. We are also using it for quality manufacturing and logistics.

We have many applications from the SAP side. We are also using SAP BW, SAP SRM, and SAP APO.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it for our daily operations. It is being used for handling different orders for the company. It is also used for logistics, delivery of our products, collecting cash, and controlling the business volume and business activities. It is an integrated application, and we use it quite well.

What is most valuable?

It is an integrated application, and it has been working really well. Earlier, there were different companies for different applications for manufacturing, finance controlling, logistics, and quality. It probably was the first fully integrated application. Whenever somebody is entering any data, for example, invoice data or ordering data, everyone with a right to see this data can see it in the system.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for 24 years.

It is very stable.

We are using it on a daily basis 24/7. Currently, there is no plan to add additional users. However, if we upgrade to S/4HANA, we will get new functionality and features. Most likely, we will also have more users.

Technical support comes partially from SAP. There are also certain partner companies who are providing support, so the support is quite good.

Its initial setup is quite a complex task because many business people are involved from different areas. It is not a simple solution that is being used by five or ten people. In our company, it is being used by thousands of people. Its implementation requires many consultations and discussions with different business communities. It also requires customization, configuration, and testing before you start using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for S/4HANA. I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten.

SAP ERP
April 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vice President at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Planning that can model well for specific industries but may be overkill for easier processes
  • "It meets our requirements for what we need it to do in the manufacturing industry."
  • "It is a little difficult to use."
  • "It was not designed to service all industries."

What is our primary use case?

It meets our requirements for a product to help us integrate and track business requirements and processes. Within the nature of our business, it meets our requirements for what we need it to do.

What is most valuable?

SAP ERP has a solution for all our requirements. That is the only way I can put it because the evaluation was done by somebody else at our company many years back. What the product delivers kind of meets our requirements. That is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue with the solution is that it could be a little more user-friendly.

We have been using SAP ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) for at least 10 years, but actually for as many as 15 years.

SAP ERP is a stable solution. We do not have trouble with crashes, bugs, and glitches.

SAP ERP is scalable. Our current user base is maybe around 1,000 people. We should be able to increase that at will if we have the need.

What other advice do I have?

I do not think that SAP ERP fits perfectly to all industries. You have got to be careful in choosing it or other solutions. SAP is mostly good for manufacturing. It is good for certain sectors of the industry and works in our case, but it is not for every type of business.

People do not have to do a lot of preparation before bringing the product onboard such as reading a lot of documentation. Mostly it is better that they see demos and project how it really works in their environment before they go for it because it is not user-friendly. If the business is within the service industry and service provision is the kind of environment they work in, I do not think I would suggest SAP ERP as a solution. If the potential client wants to use it for retail, again I would not suggest it because it is far too complicated for what they need to do and there are better solutions for that use case. It is typically good for manufacturing and those kinds of core product development industries.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate SAP ERP as around an eight-out-of-ten overall. For me the only thing that plays against it is that it could be more user friendly, that is the biggest issue I am looking at.

Senior SAP Solutions Analyst at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Effective business management, beneficial reports, but difficult to scale
  • "The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution."
  • "Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP to support and manage our business process in areas, such as sales, manufacturing, distribution, shipping, financials, purchasing, marketing, opportunities, and quotations.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by allowing us to simply take a product from concept to aftermarket by following the process of developing service for the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately 12 years.

The solution is highly stable.

SAP ERP is very hard to scale, it is very time-consuming, and once fully implemented it is normally fixed.

We have approximately 350 users using the solution. It is extensively used, every single position in the company uses SAP, which includes but is not limited to, customer service, customer service managers, purchasing, purchasing director, finance, and finance controller.

We do not use support from SAP but we have third-party support.

The implementation of the solution took approximately one year. However, this might seem like a long time but it is typical for ERP solutions.

We used consultants to do the implementation of the solution. I have heard from colleagues the experience was not very good.

We have an internal team of seven that does all the maintenance and support of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement the solution to use a good consultant.

The solution has been in the market for a long time. It does what it says that is going to do but it requires a lot of knowledge of the business and stabilization takes time. Once it is stable, it does everything it should be doing. Any additional changes make it a little bit difficult, once you make a decision, that decision has to be carried out for the life cycle of the solution.

I rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

RajPatnaik - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP Platform Advisory at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Seamless integration, plenty of features, but support could improve
  • "The most valuable feature of SAP ERP is the integration. It can be seamlessly integrated across the board."
  • "The user interface can be more intuitive and user-friendly by having it be more menu-driven, this would be a large benefit."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP for running the entire business enterprise. Most large companies run an ERP for their supply chains. Starting from taking orders all the processes through to delivery, such as finance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of SAP ERP is the integration. It can be seamlessly integrated across the board.

What needs improvement?

The user interface can be more intuitive and user-friendly by having it be more menu-driven, this would be a large benefit.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately 20 years.

SAP ERP is reliable and stable.

The solution is highly scalable.

There are different levels of support, with some requiring additional fees. I am not happy with any of the support I have received from SAP ERP.

The initial implementation is very complex. It is a very large complex system.

SAP ERP is a complex system, it takes a lot of people to maintain it. Depending on many factors of the implementation environment would determine the number of required maintenance or support staff. However, at least eight to ten people are the minimum required only to maintain and support SAP ERP. This number does not include the business or functional side of the operation of the solution, this number is only for the infrastructure side.

The solution can cost approximately $1 million a year for maintenance for a small-size company and can grow from there. Approximately $1 million is needed for a good-size company.

What other advice do I have?

SAP ERP is one of the best solutions. It's complex, but it can do a lot of things. If you are considering implementing SAP ERP, make sure you have a business process straight before you implement such a large solution. Streamline your business process and try to achieve standardization, instead of trying to customize things, use industry standards.

I rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

Azzedine Allouache - PeerSpot reviewer
GLOBAL ERP (SHIFT) Logical design and Technical Integration Lead at Sanofi
Feature-rich, quite stable, and excels at finance management

What is our primary use case?

We used SAP ERP for a variety of business processes including finance, sales, credit, distribution, and more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the finance management. However, there are many good features.

What needs improvement?

Standardization and customization need to be improved.

Technical support is an area that is in need of improvement.

This product has been used by the company for about 12 years.

The stability is quite high and we used it on a daily basis.

This product is very scalable and easy to expand.

We have approximately 40,000 users.

I have been in touch with technical support and I think that it can be improved. It's quite inefficient.

We did not use another ERP solution prior to SAP.

The initial setup is complex. One of the main difficulties is that there are a lot of processes and you need to integrate all of your ecosystems. When you have a very complex environment you have to understand the details and complexity.

The deployment can be done either on-premises or in the cloud, depending on the requirements. It can be an ongoing process.

We deployed this solution with assistance from the vendor.

Both our in-house team and the vendor is responsible for maintenance.

I would say that the price is competitive. Some components are available at an additional cost, depending on the type of contract that you have.

Associate Director at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Enterprise-wide application used across finance, HR and procurement for resource planning
  • "SAP is a very process controlled application. It does not allow users to manage the data. Once the initial process is set, it works smoothly."
  • "The integration with others application could be easier. There are many different features that this solution offers which could be easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

SAP is an enterprise-wide application and we use it across all departments including finance, project management, HR and procurement.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The integration with others applications could be easier. There are many different features that this solution offers which could be easier to implement. This solution previously has a best practice implementation which we used to easily make improvements.

I have used this solution for nine years.

This is a very stable solution.

This is a scalable solution that comes with many options and add-ons.

Deployment is costly and it takes a lot of time, but once it is done it is very smooth. We deployed SAP in a phased manner, country by country. We started with one country, gave it a year or so, and then we moved on to the second country. We have rolled this solution out in six countries over six years.

We started the implementation with a vendor team and then started hiring our own consultants. We have between eight to twelve consultants internally.

It takes a little bit of time to cover the ROI on this solution due to its cost.

This solution was initially costly until we moved to internal consulting which brought the overall cost of ownership and maintenance down.

Anshuman Bansal - PeerSpot reviewer
Head - SAP & Digital Transformation at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers very good production planning features and regular updates
  • "The solution provides good production planning."
  • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of SAP ERP is for taking care of financials, procurement, production planning, and project systems for CapEx budgeting, sales and distribution, and from there to management accounting and human capital management. I'm the head of digital transformation.

What is most valuable?

SAP has the edge over other solutions in the sense that they have better production planning. When it comes to CapEx budgeting they have an edge over NetSuite. In terms of manufacturing in the automotive sector, most companies in the industry use SAP. They've recently included some good new features.

What needs improvement?

Our customers initially find the solution quite complex and not very user-friendly so that is something that could be improved. It takes some time for them to get used to it.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

The solution is very stable. SAP has a lot of experience and has evolved over time.

This is a very scalable solution.

The technical support is as you would expect and could be improved.

I've carried out deployments for about 10 customers. For those without experience, the implementation can be quite cumbersome and complex, although, over time, they realize that all the business processes are properly mapped. Maintenance requirements depend on the number of users, which modules are being implemented, and the like. It really depends on the scale and size of the implementation.

There are several licensing options including paying an annual subscription or taking out a perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution for those in the manufacturing space. I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free SAP ERP Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: April 2022