We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Senior SAP Solutions Analyst at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Effective business management, beneficial reports, but difficult to scale
  • "The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution."
  • "Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP to support and manage our business process in areas, such as sales, manufacturing, distribution, shipping, financials, purchasing, marketing, opportunities, and quotations.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by allowing us to simply take a product from concept to aftermarket by following the process of developing service for the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately 12 years.

The solution is highly stable.

SAP ERP is very hard to scale, it is very time-consuming, and once fully implemented it is normally fixed.

We have approximately 350 users using the solution. It is extensively used, every single position in the company uses SAP, which includes but is not limited to, customer service, customer service managers, purchasing, purchasing director, finance, and finance controller.

We do not use support from SAP but we have third-party support.

The implementation of the solution took approximately one year. However, this might seem like a long time but it is typical for ERP solutions.

We used consultants to do the implementation of the solution. I have heard from colleagues the experience was not very good.

We have an internal team of seven that does all the maintenance and support of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement the solution to use a good consultant.

The solution has been in the market for a long time. It does what it says that is going to do but it requires a lot of knowledge of the business and stabilization takes time. Once it is stable, it does everything it should be doing. Any additional changes make it a little bit difficult, once you make a decision, that decision has to be carried out for the life cycle of the solution.

I rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

RajPatnaik
SAP Platform Advisory at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Seamless integration, plenty of features, but support could improve
  • "The most valuable feature of SAP ERP is the integration. It can be seamlessly integrated across the board."
  • "The user interface can be more intuitive and user-friendly by having it be more menu-driven, this would be a large benefit."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP for running the entire business enterprise. Most large companies run an ERP for their supply chains. Starting from taking orders all the processes through to delivery, such as finance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of SAP ERP is the integration. It can be seamlessly integrated across the board.

What needs improvement?

The user interface can be more intuitive and user-friendly by having it be more menu-driven, this would be a large benefit.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately 20 years.

SAP ERP is reliable and stable.

The solution is highly scalable.

There are different levels of support, with some requiring additional fees. I am not happy with any of the support I have received from SAP ERP.

The initial implementation is very complex. It is a very large complex system.

SAP ERP is a complex system, it takes a lot of people to maintain it. Depending on many factors of the implementation environment would determine the number of required maintenance or support staff. However, at least eight to ten people are the minimum required only to maintain and support SAP ERP. This number does not include the business or functional side of the operation of the solution, this number is only for the infrastructure side.

The solution can cost approximately $1 million a year for maintenance for a small-size company and can grow from there. Approximately $1 million is needed for a good-size company.

What other advice do I have?

SAP ERP is one of the best solutions. It's complex, but it can do a lot of things. If you are considering implementing SAP ERP, make sure you have a business process straight before you implement such a large solution. Streamline your business process and try to achieve standardization, instead of trying to customize things, use industry standards.

I rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Azzedine Allouache
GLOBAL ERP (SHIFT) Logical design and Technical Integration Lead at Sanofi
Feature-rich, quite stable, and excels at finance management

What is our primary use case?

We used SAP ERP for a variety of business processes including finance, sales, credit, distribution, and more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the finance management. However, there are many good features.

What needs improvement?

Standardization and customization need to be improved. Technical support is an area that is in need of improvement.

This product has been used by the company for about 12 years.

The stability is quite high and we used it on a daily basis.

This product is very scalable and easy to expand. We have approximately 40,000 users.

How are customer

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Standardization and customization need to be improved.

Technical support is an area that is in need of improvement.

This product has been used by the company for about 12 years.

The stability is quite high and we used it on a daily basis.

This product is very scalable and easy to expand.

We have approximately 40,000 users.

I have been in touch with technical support and I think that it can be improved. It's quite inefficient.

We did not use another ERP solution prior to SAP.

The initial setup is complex. One of the main difficulties is that there are a lot of processes and you need to integrate all of your ecosystems. When you have a very complex environment you have to understand the details and complexity.

The deployment can be done either on-premises or in the cloud, depending on the requirements. It can be an ongoing process.

We deployed this solution with assistance from the vendor.

Both our in-house team and the vendor is responsible for maintenance.

I would say that the price is competitive. Some components are available at an additional cost, depending on the type of contract that you have.

Anshuman Bansal
Head - SAP & Digital Transformation at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers very good production planning features and regular updates
  • "The solution provides good production planning."
  • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of SAP ERP is for taking care of financials, procurement, production planning, and project systems for CapEx budgeting, sales and distribution, and from there to management accounting and human capital management. I'm the head of digital transformation.

What is most valuable?

SAP has the edge over other solutions in the sense that they have better production planning. When it comes to CapEx budgeting they have an edge over NetSuite. In terms of manufacturing in the automotive sector, most companies in the industry use SAP. They've recently included some good new features.

What needs improvement?

Our customers initially find the solution quite complex and not very user-friendly so that is something that could be improved. It takes some time for them to get used to it.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

The solution is very stable. SAP has a lot of experience and has evolved over time.

This is a very scalable solution.

The technical support is as you would expect and could be improved.

I've carried out deployments for about 10 customers. For those without experience, the implementation can be quite cumbersome and complex, although, over time, they realize that all the business processes are properly mapped. Maintenance requirements depend on the number of users, which modules are being implemented, and the like. It really depends on the scale and size of the implementation.

There are several licensing options including paying an annual subscription or taking out a perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution for those in the manufacturing space. I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Enterprise Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Is annually updated and enhanced
  • "SAP is already working on improvements by doing annual releases with enhancements."
  • "More integrations and built-in integrations with other environments and products are needed."

What is our primary use case?

We implement it for customers, and we use the software internally for process management and inventory management.

What is most valuable?

SAP is already working on improvements by doing annual releases with enhancements.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integrations and built-in integrations with other environments and products. Sometimes, we have a product that needs something, and we would need to replace a feature or model in the system with other models outside.

In this case, we would like the system to be more flexible, more component-based. Then, we would be able to take one component and leave the others. We won't have to buy in bulk to benefit from the product. We can select features and pay for those.

Technical support could be better.

I've been working with this product for almost 7 years.

As for technical support, it depends on how SAP defines the level of the ticket. Sometimes, the ticket is very important to us, while from the perspective of SAP, its of low or medium priority. This makes things difficult for us.

When the ticket is of medium or low priority from the perspective of SAP, it takes more time to solve it.

So, when we have product limitations or something's not working, we would need to help the customers find a solution or workaround.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. In the beginning, it takes some time for the business consultants to prepare the environment and set up everything. Usually, if you give the consultants the appropriate time to do the setup correctly the first time, everything will go smoothly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate SAP ERP at eight.

Head of ICT Infrastructure at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast, 100% stable, and good data integrity
  • "It has a lot of integrity of data, and it is fast. All the users feel that they can trust this data. So, data integrity is the most important value of SAP."
  • "It is not flexible for the users. SAP works in a specific way, and the users and the processes have to adapt to the way it works. It is hard to customize it to the level that we need for our work. It is not easy to get new extensions for process functions, modules, or activities."

What is our primary use case?

Almost all of our data processes are running on this platform. We use it for finance, production, logistics, and human resources.

What is most valuable?

It has a lot of integrity of data, and it is fast. All the users feel that they can trust this data. So, data integrity is the most important value of SAP.

It is scalable. It has the capacity to get bigger and consolidate data from all business processes.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't integrate well with other solutions. SAP is a closed circle, and it is not easy to share information with all of our ecosystems. SAP has its own solution for everything, such as for business intelligence and other things. There are many specialized vendors who are doing better than SAP, but it is not easy to integrate SAP with other solutions.

It has been about 16 years.

It is 100% stable.

Its scalability is good, but it is not flexible.

We can keep going with SAP. We have been growing, and we have been adding new business entities to our SAP. The number of enterprises that we manage with our SAP is growing. So, it is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10. It is a very good platform.

Shady Mogawer
IT Manager at Arabian Cement Company
Has many modules, and is useful for all business processes

What is our primary use case?

It is for all business processes. It is for material management, financial accounting and controlling, sales and distribution, and HR. Our SAP version is a little bit old. It is the ACC version.

What is most valuable?

The Material Management and Sales and Distribution modules are great. The Financial Accounting module is also great.

What needs improvement?

One module that is not doing well is HR. It should be less complex. It should also have better integration capability. I am using the ACC version, and in this version, the integration and the communication are very difficult and complicated.

We have been using it in our company since 2008.

It…

What is our primary use case?

Our SAP version is a little bit old. It is the ACC version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One module that is not doing well is HR.

We have been using it in our company since 2008.

It is stable.

I doubt if it is scalable. That's because it is on-prem, so you have a lot of parameters, and scalability would be a little bit hard.

We have 130 people, but in my company, only about 65 people are using it. It is being used every minute of every day. There might be a plan for expanding its usage, but I am not sure.

Every time we need technical support, we take the help of a local consultant.

I didn't do it, but I'm sure it's complex.

I don't know the price, but I know its licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Head of Product Operations Planning at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A robust and stable enterprise resource planning software, but it could be more flexible
  • "I like that SAP ERP is very robust and stable."
  • "It could be more flexible, and the company should be able to adapt the system. Not the other way around. It's very rigid and difficult to change. Reporting could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP for finance, manufacturing, and purchasing.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates most of the areas from a financial point of view and helps the company track operations on a global level.

What is most valuable?

I like that SAP ERP is very robust and stable.

What needs improvement?

It could be more flexible, and the company should be able to adapt the system. Not the other way around. It's very rigid and difficult to change. Reporting could also be better.

We have been using SAP ERP in our company for 15 to 20 years.

SAP ERP is a stable solution.

It's very scalable. It's just a matter of cost. We have 100 to 150 users at the moment.

Technical support is available anywhere, and it's easy to find.

The initial setup is very complex.

SAP ERP is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that the implementation could be very complex. It's key to have clarity about the company processes from the beginning before implementing SAP ERP. If you don't, the company processes will have to be adapted to the SAP standard way of working.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SAP ERP a seven.