Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
DGM HR at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Enables continuity in our company but needs to be more intuitive
  • "Continuing to use it enabled continuity of business."
  • "SAP needs to be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

When the company merged, we decided that we wanted to continue using SAP ERP because all the processes were much more mature, especially when it came to finance. The main value was the convenience for finance to run and manage the business.

The finance team was more comfortable using SAP, so that's why it was decided not to change the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I wouldn't say it has improved the organization. The company was already using it before we merged.

Continuing to use it enabled continuity of business. It eliminated strife or angst for the employees in terms of experiences since they were already using SAP ERP.

What is most valuable?

We're using the main database. We're using the leave modules and transfers.

What needs improvement?

SAP needs to be more intuitive. It should be easy to use, mobile, and employee-friendly. You need to know the transaction codes. You need to study it to be able to use it. SAP needs to change that. They need to be more intuitive. Like how Facebook is so easy to use, or Uber. No one teaches you to use these apps, but they're intuitive and you're able to use them. So the HR applications need to be the same way.

SAP ERP
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using it since 2018. Before that, I implemented SAP ERP in my previous job and used it for two years.

It's very stable.

It's scalable.

There are currently 8,000 users who use SAP in my company. Our IT team maintains it.

We do not have plans to increase usage. SAP has said that they are dropping the ERP part. They advise moving on to SuccessFactors for HR. SAP themselves has said not to go forward with more usage, but to change the system.

It has good support.

We previously used Oracle. When the company merged the new finance team preferred SAP, so HR also had to move along with the finance team.

The company was already using SAP ERP when we joined, so I didn't have to do any setup here. But in my previous job, we did set it up.

It wasn't straightforward. We had to first align the HR processes. IBM was the implementation partner. We had to speak with SAP and also IBM. They understood our processes and they proposed the best solution. Some parts we did not agree to, so there were workarounds, but it went through. Once the design architecture was finalized, the implementation was smooth.

The deployment took six months.

IBM was the implementation partner.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, I rate SAP ERP a five.

Neeraj Jain - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
A great all-in-one product that can scale and is stable
  • "The solution is quite scalable."
  • "It's very difficult to find people who are well versed in it."

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution as you get everything in one software. You get all modules in one software and therefore one doesn't have to look outside for any other software.

The solution is quite scalable.

The stability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a few problems here and there.

It's slightly complex and can be hard to understand if you are new to the product.

The product is very, very expensive, and therefore not really suitable for smaller organizations.

It's very difficult to find people who are well versed in it.

I've been using the solution for 20 years at this point. It's been somewhere around two decades. I have a lot of experience with it.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it's not a problem. Users should be able to do so.

It is scalable in the sense that tomorrow if you have 10 users, you can scale it to 50 users, 50 to 100. That's not a problem. It's pretty easy to scale. SAP is now pushing cloud. It used to be on-premise. When it was on-premise you would have to change your hardware. Now, that is not necessarily the case.

In terms of maintenance, due to the fact that the solution is complex and nobody can know everything, it's important to have at least two people on staff for maintenance that can handle it and understand how everything - or mostly everything - works. That means either hiring out experts of having in-house personnel.

The pricing is very high. For enterprise-level organizations this may be okay, however, for smaller companies, it's likely not suitable.

What happens is that if small companies implement it, the maintenance cost is very high for this kind of ERP. It's a problem for those companies who want to implement ERP, and they find implementation cost is higher and the license cost is extremely high. The maintenance cost is very high as well.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

It covers pretty much everything. It's not that something is missing. There are better products than this, however, they are not necessarily as complete. If you're buying those products, you will have to spend money to interface with the backbone of SAP.

They're making it more user-friendly. A user has to work smart and if he's not able to work smart, we spend so much less time training people. Unless you have a photogenic memory, SAP can take a bit of work.

Other software can be learned in 15 days, however, SAP takes a while.

SAP ERP
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Extensive coverage of processes, good integrations, good security, and good stability
  • "The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution. It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level."
  • "One thing that is lacking in ERP is a good user interface. It is currently very clumsy and complex. Another thing is that reporting capability of SAP ERP is customizable, but it is not very good. Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high."

What is most valuable?

The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution.

It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level.

What needs improvement?

Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high.

I have been using SAP ERP for the last 15 years. We are currently using its latest version, but because SAP has discontinued this product and they have launched SAP S/4HANA, my organization is planning to move to S/4HANA.

It is very stable. SAP has been in the ERP domain for 36 years. It has a very dominant place in the market. There are ERP solutions from Oracle and Microsoft, but SAP ERP really stands out in comparison to other solutions.

Technical support comes along with the license when you purchase a license. It is always there, which is good. I have not faced any issue with technical support. Generally, customers take support from technical partners because SAP technical support can be expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are considering S/4HANA for our organization. We are also looking at SAP Business One. It looks fair, but it seems to have some limitations. It doesn't seem suitable for big organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recommend this solution because SAP has already planned and given the notification for its discontinuation. They have already launched the next ERP version called S/4HANA, which is better than SAP ERP in terms of user-friendliness, training, complexity, and planning cycles. It seems to have all the functionality of SAP ERP, and it also has technological advancements.

I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten. It just needs improvement in terms of user-friendliness or reporting.

JavedKhan1 - PeerSpot reviewer
ASSOCIATE DATA CENTER SERVICE at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The solution connects to every software but it's not 100% stable
  • "The product connects to every software."
  • "The service could be more user-friendly in the area of transition codes."

What is most valuable?

One of the most relevant features is that the product connects to every software. Our third parties can integrate through SAP ERP extremely easily, integrate with data transfer and communicate within the solution. The solution is reliable for external connections that other software doesn't provide.

What needs improvement?

The service could be more user-friendly regarding transition codes. There are more than 65,000 four and six-digit codes from every field and domain. A person like me, or anyone else, can't remember all of them. So something easier to remember or work with would be an improvement for all SAP products, not just ERP.

I started working with S/4HANA three years back. But overall, I've been working in SAP ERP for more than nine years. Right now, most clients are on S/4. If we have the latest version of SAP ERP, we call it S/4.

The solution is not 100% stable. Working in a 24/7 environment, I face disasters day and night. Every work process operates in the backend. If a process goes down, once we identify the exact issue, we have a disaster center with all the data we copied on our servers. We can recover all the files and data from there. So the solution needs improvement.

I work for a parent company, and they have some other vendors to whom we provide support because we work for tech.

If we're talking only about administration, setting up our landscape is very complex.

We have a huge number of servers. The SAP software itself is more than 100 gigabytes. It takes two to three days to download SAP software from the SAP service marketplace. And installing the server itself takes months. It's not easy.

Because I was representing third parties as their solution provider. I already knew most features and functions, so I never went to another vendor for support. But in such cases, if I can't resolve an issue, I log a ticket to an SAP technical team like the core SAP team or the SAP Support Portal.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of 10.

Most S/4 ERP solutions are cloud-based. BPC is totally cloud-based. Most of our data servers are cloud-based, and Information Steward is also cloud-based.

All the data and more used to be stored locally. Nowadays, however, all the data, including S/4HANA, is only on the cloud. They're planning to move everything into the cloud, even ACC, because of space and wasted storage issues.

We have 22,263 SAP ERP end users, for which we require a team comprising around 25 technical and as many as 74 functional members.

EAM Executive at a educational organization with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to migrate from legacy systems, caters to business processes of different industries, and very stable and scalable
  • "It is easier to migrate to SAP ERP from a legacy system. We have different products for data services, and it is easier to migrate to SAP ERP as compared to other solutions. Stability is one of the main features of SAP. What makes SAP ERP better than others is that SAP has taken into consideration the business processes of different industries, such as manufacturing. They have done the research, and they know what are the best practices. They have already implemented these best practices in SAP ERP, which are readily available for a client. Clients can also customize it based on their individual needs."
  • "Their support should be improved. Instead of giving a general solution, their consultants should first try to understand the problem and then resolve the same. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is a centralized system to manage your business. With the inclusion of BA, you can do analytics as well as predictive analytics, which helps a business to grow because you know where you are lacking and where you are growing more. You can balance and take statistical decisions to optimize business processes and have more benefits.

What is most valuable?

It is easier to migrate to SAP ERP from a legacy system. We have different products for data services, and it is easier to migrate to SAP ERP as compared to other solutions.

Stability is one of the main features of SAP. What makes SAP ERP better than others is that SAP has taken into consideration the business processes of different industries, such as manufacturing. They have done the research, and they know what are the best practices. They have already implemented these best practices in SAP ERP, which are readily available for a client. Clients can also customize it based on their individual needs.

What needs improvement?

Their support should be improved. Instead of giving a general solution, their consultants should first try to understand the problem and then resolve the same. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution.

I have been using this solution for nine years.

Stability is one of the main features of SAP.

It is scalable. It has to be scalable. Otherwise, SAP will not be able to survive.

Currently, we have 5,000 to 6,000 people who are using SAP ERP as end-users. On the development side, we have around 40 to 50 people, and they are technical consultants and functional consultants. For maintenance, we have around 40 people from different function models.

There was one issue for which we were in contact with SAP. It was an isolated incident, and their support was okay. They were not that great. When an organization needs help, a relevant and experienced consultant should be made available for the client. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution.

It was easy to install. It took more than a month. It was done around 2012.

I did it myself.

SAP is a bit on the costly side, but they also provide support and other things. We are paying for licenses and the use of the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate SAP ERP a nine out of ten.

Olaf Dölz - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solution Engineer at Winshuttle
Provides many interfaces, which allows you to build satellites around it with other SAP or third-party solutions
  • "There are many interfaces, so you really can build satellites around it like with other SAP stuff or even third-party stuff."
  • "If big companies are going for SAP and they would like to install it, they should know that it still needs time. Implementation will cost a lot of money."

What is our primary use case?

In the past, it was a pure on-premise solution. As the market has gone on, SAP is all also delivering hybrid or public and private clouds. Because you can configure SAP for huge automotive factories — like Rolls-Royce and Mercedes-Benz, for example — they do have some development inside of these kinds of software. Therefore, it's really difficult to bring everything into the cloud.

So, although SAP is making a lot of business with the hybrid or private and public cloud solutions, I think there are still others who would like to use solutions other than pure cloud solutions. This is my impression.

What is most valuable?

I'm an old-fashioned guy, so I feel better when I have GUI. So, not a web browser. This makes me feel better because of security issues.

What needs improvement?

If big companies are going for SAP and they would like to install it, they should know that it still needs time. Implementation will cost a lot of money. I would really appreciate it if the software tools had something like template solutions where you didn't have to spend too much time and effort to configure. Instead, the process would run in the software with just a click. So, I'd like to see better provision of templates.

I started as a consultant. I have 25 years of end-user experience and experience as an implementation consultant.

Right now, because of all these different deployment methods like cloud, the scalability is very good. There are plenty of options you can select. It's not a pure public cloud solution. You still have the possibility to go for on-premise or to go for hybrid and use these super large services like Amazon Web Services or go with a small private IT provider. Scalability is very high in my opinion.

Their technical support is available 24/7. They provide good support. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 4.

Initial setup is complex. I would rate the setup a 4 out of 5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

There are many interfaces, so you really can build satellites around it like with other SAP stuff or even third-party stuff. The entity relationship is the basis for the whole business in the world. For example, the relationships between the customer, vendor, materials, orders, invoices, and so on. For me, this system is very logical. It's complex, but once you understand it, it's perfect.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior Application Delivery Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Fully-integrated, very stable, and works well
  • "It is an integrated application, and it has been working really well. Earlier, there were different companies for different applications for manufacturing, finance controlling, logistics, and quality. It probably was the first fully integrated application. Whenever somebody is entering any data, for example, invoice data or ordering data, everyone with a right to see this data can see it in the system."
  • "We will not make any major changes, and we are not expecting any enhancements or new features from SAP because they already have a new solution. No development is happening on SAP ERP because SAP has come up with a new version called SAP S/4HANA, which is memory-based technology. We are planning to upgrade to SAP S/4HANA, but we don't know when it will happen. We are in the preparation phase."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP ERP for business support, business administration, and financial aid. We are also using it for quality manufacturing and logistics.

We have many applications from the SAP side. We are also using SAP BW, SAP SRM, and SAP APO.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it for our daily operations. It is being used for handling different orders for the company. It is also used for logistics, delivery of our products, collecting cash, and controlling the business volume and business activities. It is an integrated application, and we use it quite well.

What is most valuable?

It is an integrated application, and it has been working really well. Earlier, there were different companies for different applications for manufacturing, finance controlling, logistics, and quality. It probably was the first fully integrated application. Whenever somebody is entering any data, for example, invoice data or ordering data, everyone with a right to see this data can see it in the system.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for 24 years.

It is very stable.

We are using it on a daily basis 24/7. Currently, there is no plan to add additional users. However, if we upgrade to S/4HANA, we will get new functionality and features. Most likely, we will also have more users.

Technical support comes partially from SAP. There are also certain partner companies who are providing support, so the support is quite good.

Its initial setup is quite a complex task because many business people are involved from different areas. It is not a simple solution that is being used by five or ten people. In our company, it is being used by thousands of people. Its implementation requires many consultations and discussions with different business communities. It also requires customization, configuration, and testing before you start using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for S/4HANA. I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten.

Senior SAP Solutions Analyst at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Effective business management, beneficial reports, but difficult to scale
  • "The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution."
  • "Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP to support and manage our business process in areas, such as sales, manufacturing, distribution, shipping, financials, purchasing, marketing, opportunities, and quotations.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by allowing us to simply take a product from concept to aftermarket by following the process of developing service for the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately 12 years.

The solution is highly stable.

SAP ERP is very hard to scale, it is very time-consuming, and once fully implemented it is normally fixed.

We have approximately 350 users using the solution. It is extensively used, every single position in the company uses SAP, which includes but is not limited to, customer service, customer service managers, purchasing, purchasing director, finance, and finance controller.

We do not use support from SAP but we have third-party support.

The implementation of the solution took approximately one year. However, this might seem like a long time but it is typical for ERP solutions.

We used consultants to do the implementation of the solution. I have heard from colleagues the experience was not very good.

We have an internal team of seven that does all the maintenance and support of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement the solution to use a good consultant.

The solution has been in the market for a long time. It does what it says that is going to do but it requires a lot of knowledge of the business and stabilization takes time. Once it is stable, it does everything it should be doing. Any additional changes make it a little bit difficult, once you make a decision, that decision has to be carried out for the life cycle of the solution.

I rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

Download our free SAP ERP Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022