IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
DGM HR at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Enables continuity in our company but needs to be more intuitive
  • "Continuing to use it enabled continuity of business."
  • "SAP needs to be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

When the company merged, we decided that we wanted to continue using SAP ERP because all the processes were much more mature, especially when it came to finance. The main value was the convenience for finance to run and manage the business. The finance team was more comfortable using SAP, so that's why it was decided not to change the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I wouldn't say it has improved the organization. The company was already using it before we merged. Continuing to use it enabled continuity of business. It eliminated strife or angst for the employees in terms of experiences since they were already using SAP ERP.

What is most valuable?

We're using the main database. We're using the leave modules and transfers.

What needs improvement?

SAP needs to be more intuitive. It should be easy to use, mobile, and employee-friendly. You need to know the transaction codes. You need to study it to be able to use it. SAP needs to change that. They need to be more intuitive. Like how Facebook is so easy to use, or Uber. No one teaches you to use these apps, but they're intuitive and you're able to use them. So the HR applications need to be the same way.
SAP ERP
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using it since 2018. Before that, I implemented SAP ERP in my previous job and used it for two years.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. There are currently 8,000 users who use SAP in my company. Our IT team maintains it. We do not have plans to increase usage. SAP has said that they are dropping the ERP part. They advise moving on to SuccessFactors for HR. SAP themselves has said not to go forward with more usage, but to change the system.

It has good support.

We previously used Oracle. When the company merged the new finance team preferred SAP, so HR also had to move along with the finance team.

The company was already using SAP ERP when we joined, so I didn't have to do any setup here. But in my previous job, we did set it up. It wasn't straightforward. We had to first align the HR processes. IBM was the implementation partner. We had to speak with SAP and also IBM. They understood our processes and they proposed the best solution. Some parts we did not agree to, so there were workarounds, but it went through. Once the design architecture was finalized, the implementation was smooth. The deployment took six months.

IBM was the implementation partner.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, I rate SAP ERP a five.

Neeraj Jain - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
A great all-in-one product that can scale and is stable
  • "The solution is quite scalable."
  • "It's very difficult to find people who are well versed in it."

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution as you get everything in one software. You get all modules in one software and therefore one doesn't have to look outside for any other software.

The solution is quite scalable.

The stability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a few problems here and there.

It's slightly complex and can be hard to understand if you are new to the product.

The product is very, very expensive, and therefore not really suitable for smaller organizations.

It's very difficult to find people who are well versed in it.

I've been using the solution for 20 years at this point. It's been somewhere around two decades. I have a lot of experience with it.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it's not a problem. Users should be able to do so.

It is scalable in the sense that tomorrow if you have 10 users, you can scale it to 50 users, 50 to 100. That's not a problem. It's pretty easy to scale. SAP is now pushing cloud. It used to be on-premise. When it was on-premise you would have to change your hardware. Now, that is not necessarily the case.

In terms of maintenance, due to the fact that the solution is complex and nobody can know everything, it's important to have at least two people on staff for maintenance that can handle it and understand how everything - or mostly everything - works. That means either hiring out experts of having in-house personnel.

The pricing is very high. For enterprise-level organizations this may be okay, however, for smaller companies, it's likely not suitable.

What happens is that if small companies implement it, the maintenance cost is very high for this kind of ERP. It's a problem for those companies who want to implement ERP, and they find implementation cost is higher and the license cost is extremely high. The maintenance cost is very high as well.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

It covers pretty much everything. It's not that something is missing. There are better products than this, however, they are not necessarily as complete. If you're buying those products, you will have to spend money to interface with the backbone of SAP.

They're making it more user-friendly. A user has to work smart and if he's not able to work smart, we spend so much less time training people. Unless you have a photogenic memory, SAP can take a bit of work.

Other software can be learned in 15 days, however, SAP takes a while.

SAP ERP
May 2022
599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Extensive coverage of processes, good integrations, good security, and good stability
  • "The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution. It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level."
  • "One thing that is lacking in ERP is a good user interface. It is currently very clumsy and complex. Another thing is that reporting capability of SAP ERP is customizable, but it is not very good. Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high."

What is most valuable?

The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution.

It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level.

What needs improvement?

Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high.

I have been using SAP ERP for the last 15 years. We are currently using its latest version, but because SAP has discontinued this product and they have launched SAP S/4HANA, my organization is planning to move to S/4HANA.

It is very stable. SAP has been in the ERP domain for 36 years. It has a very dominant place in the market. There are ERP solutions from Oracle and Microsoft, but SAP ERP really stands out in comparison to other solutions.

Technical support comes along with the license when you purchase a license. It is always there, which is good. I have not faced any issue with technical support. Generally, customers take support from technical partners because SAP technical support can be expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are considering S/4HANA for our organization. We are also looking at SAP Business One. It looks fair, but it seems to have some limitations. It doesn't seem suitable for big organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recommend this solution because SAP has already planned and given the notification for its discontinuation. They have already launched the next ERP version called S/4HANA, which is better than SAP ERP in terms of user-friendliness, training, complexity, and planning cycles. It seems to have all the functionality of SAP ERP, and it also has technological advancements.

I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten. It just needs improvement in terms of user-friendliness or reporting.

CIO at Kolektor Group d.o.o.
Very stable with great integration capabilities and has a reliable architecture
  • "The architecture of the solution overall is great. It's great for development, testing, and production. I've worked with solutions where the architecture wasn't as strong and it was a disaster."
  • "The system is very big. It is not exactly user-friendly, due to the fact that it's so massive and complex."

What is most valuable?

I worked with some other ERPs previously and I am a computer engineer. I find it to be very stable in comparison to other systems. There is no downtime. That's important to us due to the fact that we have companies around the world and don't have specific service hours. It needs to constantly be running, and it can do that beautifully.

The integration of the solution is great.

What needs improvement?

You need to put a lot of data into the system in order to get something out of it.

The solution is expensive.

Our company began using SAP during its first installation in Slovenia. We've used it since 1998. It's been more than 20 years at this point, so more than two decades of working with the solution.

The solution is stable. There are no concerns there. We don't have bugs or glitches. It works extremely well and it reliable.

The solution is very scalable. It's quite a sizeable product, to begin with. Users would have no problem expanding it out if they need to.

We have around 1,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support has largely been very supportive of our company. If we need an SAP developer, we're able to get one. However, the solution has been so stable so far there have been very few problems in general, so we haven't needed much help. Overall, we are satisfied with the level of support we get.

We require 10-12 people to handle the maintenance on the solution.

The pricing of the solution could be a bit lower. It's on the more expensive side, as far as solutions go.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any kind of business relationship with SAP. We aren't consultants or resellers.

We use SAP ERP, and on the other side, on the office side, and the user side, we are straight Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not exactly user-friendly and is quite a sizeable solution. If it weren't for that and the high price tag I might rate it a bit higher.

EAM Executive at a educational organization with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to migrate from legacy systems, caters to business processes of different industries, and very stable and scalable
  • "It is easier to migrate to SAP ERP from a legacy system. We have different products for data services, and it is easier to migrate to SAP ERP as compared to other solutions. Stability is one of the main features of SAP. What makes SAP ERP better than others is that SAP has taken into consideration the business processes of different industries, such as manufacturing. They have done the research, and they know what are the best practices. They have already implemented these best practices in SAP ERP, which are readily available for a client. Clients can also customize it based on their individual needs."
  • "Their support should be improved. Instead of giving a general solution, their consultants should first try to understand the problem and then resolve the same. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is a centralized system to manage your business. With the inclusion of BA, you can do analytics as well as predictive analytics, which helps a business to grow because you know where you are lacking and where you are growing more. You can balance and take statistical decisions to optimize business processes and have more benefits.

What is most valuable?

It is easier to migrate to SAP ERP from a legacy system. We have different products for data services, and it is easier to migrate to SAP ERP as compared to other solutions.

Stability is one of the main features of SAP. What makes SAP ERP better than others is that SAP has taken into consideration the business processes of different industries, such as manufacturing. They have done the research, and they know what are the best practices. They have already implemented these best practices in SAP ERP, which are readily available for a client. Clients can also customize it based on their individual needs.

What needs improvement?

Their support should be improved. Instead of giving a general solution, their consultants should first try to understand the problem and then resolve the same. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution.

I have been using this solution for nine years.

Stability is one of the main features of SAP.

It is scalable. It has to be scalable. Otherwise, SAP will not be able to survive.

Currently, we have 5,000 to 6,000 people who are using SAP ERP as end-users. On the development side, we have around 40 to 50 people, and they are technical consultants and functional consultants. For maintenance, we have around 40 people from different function models.

There was one issue for which we were in contact with SAP. It was an isolated incident, and their support was okay. They were not that great. When an organization needs help, a relevant and experienced consultant should be made available for the client. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution.

It was easy to install. It took more than a month. It was done around 2012.

I did it myself.

SAP is a bit on the costly side, but they also provide support and other things. We are paying for licenses and the use of the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate SAP ERP a nine out of ten.

Olaf Dölz - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solution Engineer at Winshuttle
Provides many interfaces, which allows you to build satellites around it with other SAP or third-party solutions
  • "There are many interfaces, so you really can build satellites around it like with other SAP stuff or even third-party stuff."
  • "If big companies are going for SAP and they would like to install it, they should know that it still needs time. Implementation will cost a lot of money."

What is our primary use case?

In the past, it was a pure on-premise solution. As the market has gone on, SAP is all also delivering hybrid or public and private clouds. Because you can configure SAP for huge automotive factories — like Rolls-Royce and Mercedes-Benz, for example — they do have some development inside of these kinds of software. Therefore, it's really difficult to bring everything into the cloud.

So, although SAP is making a lot of business with the hybrid or private and public cloud solutions, I think there are still others who would like to use solutions other than pure cloud solutions. This is my impression.

What is most valuable?

I'm an old-fashioned guy, so I feel better when I have GUI. So, not a web browser. This makes me feel better because of security issues.

What needs improvement?

If big companies are going for SAP and they would like to install it, they should know that it still needs time. Implementation will cost a lot of money. I would really appreciate it if the software tools had something like template solutions where you didn't have to spend too much time and effort to configure. Instead, the process would run in the software with just a click. So, I'd like to see better provision of templates.

I started as a consultant. I have 25 years of end-user experience and experience as an implementation consultant.

Right now, because of all these different deployment methods like cloud, the scalability is very good. There are plenty of options you can select. It's not a pure public cloud solution. You still have the possibility to go for on-premise or to go for hybrid and use these super large services like Amazon Web Services or go with a small private IT provider. Scalability is very high in my opinion.

Their technical support is available 24/7. They provide good support. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 4.

Initial setup is complex. I would rate the setup a 4 out of 5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

There are many interfaces, so you really can build satellites around it like with other SAP stuff or even third-party stuff. The entity relationship is the basis for the whole business in the world. For example, the relationships between the customer, vendor, materials, orders, invoices, and so on. For me, this system is very logical. It's complex, but once you understand it, it's perfect.

Hybrid Cloud
Azure Cloud Solution Architect(CSA) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to customize and pretty stable but too expensive
  • "The system can be integrated with other SAP functionalities - such as finance, production, sales, marketing, HR, et cetera, and can also be customized to become a model that's specifically designed for my business. That's the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution is quite expensive. They need to work on the pricing to make it more reasonable."

What needs improvement?

There are no extra features needed. It's quite a complete solution.

I've been using the solution for seven years now. It's been a good amount of time.

The solution offers quite good stability. The performance is reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good.

The solution is a bit smaller than I prefer to use, however, we don't have to take too many liberties with it, so, for us, it's fine.

We have about 20 users on the product currently.

We have reached out to technical support in the past. They've been quite good and I would say that, overall, we've been satisfied with the level of support they've provided.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. I don't believe it was complex.

The vendor handled the entire setup for our organization. We didn't actually have to worry about the implementation process.

The costs are high in terms of licensing. It will be too expensive for many companies if they are considering using this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

Although it is a good product, I'd recommend that other organizations consider an alternate solution. This is due to the fact that it's a very expensive model. For us, for the very initial stage of our business, we've spent quite a lot on it. If a company has a vision for the next five years, it could prove difficult to adhere to the solution should things unexpectedly change.

It might be better to have a basic application available on the market. The licensing costs are far too high on this one.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten, even though the costs are so large. In this time of COVID, people really are more cost-conscious and high licensing costs are untenable for a lot of businesses.

Samuel Hon - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Chun Wo Construction
Comprehensive and robust with good scalability
  • "It is a comprehensive and robust solution. It can provide lots of functional features."
  • "In general, a user should attend training before they can use this platform. There's definitely a learning curve. As a new user or employee, there may be some difficulty with onboarding."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP ERP and the financial part and procurement part and also HR, as well.

What is most valuable?

It's great for enterprise-level organizations.

What needs improvement?

The user interface isn't that great. This is an area they could really improve on.

In general, a user should attend training before they can use this platform. There's definitely a learning curve. As a new user or employee, there may be some difficulty with onboarding.

The assisting module is good enough for our construction company, however, some specific areas for construction domains are not tailor-made for construction. Ssome construction operations within the solution do not fulfill our requirements. That it is an ERP struggle, and perhaps not specific to this solution. It may not have specific details for our industry. It's fair to say that the existing module, on HR and on procurement, is good enough for us.

In this company, I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The stability of the solution is quite good actually. It's very stable. Once you have set up and configured it well, the system works very well. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I haven't really dealt too much with scalability. Our company has been pretty steady in terms of usage. We haven't really increased anything. IN our environment, scalability isn't so much of an issue.

That sai, it is my understanding that the solution scales well, and if a company needs to expand it, they can do so with relative ease.

I have dealt with technical support in the past. I consider them to be quite good. They are not too bad, actually. Whenever we raise a support ticket, generally we have got a response within two to three days. They are knowledgable and answer our questions.

The initial setup can be quite complex. You need to have someone who is quite knowledgeable on the solution in order to successfully implement it. SAP is quite difficult.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a relationship with the organization.

If a company is considering using this solution, they need to know that training is a must for new users and employees.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of a score of ten.

Download our free SAP ERP Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022