Sr. Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, has good workflow capabilities, but the setup could be simplified and the interface could be improved
  • "The subsequent chain of tasks, I believe, is valuable."
  • "The interface requires an upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our tickets go through ServiceNow.

Any tickets that we need to open in order to interact with other teams and make things happen go through ServiceNow.

When I need to create an AWS account, I use ServiceNow. I need to use ServiceNow to request a new machine.

We use ServiceNow for everything that requires us to interact with other teams.

They use it for internal communication across all departments.

What is most valuable?

What I believe works well is the chain of tasks that occurs when you follow up after completing a task. The subsequent chain of tasks, I believe, is valuable.

What needs improvement?

The interface, in my opinion, is not very good. It's very unclear where the status is and what steps I need to take next. I don't think the layout is very good.

The interface requires an upgrade. I'm not sure if I'm using the most recent version, which could be the issue. However, I don't have control over which versions we use, and I do find the interface to be very cumbersome, there is a lot of information here, and it's difficult to find what you are looking for.

I find myself occasionally looking at the request and wondering if I already approved it or not because the status is a little strange. It's not great.

It's not very intuitive.

I interact with ServiceNow quite a bit. I have been using it for eight years.

ServiceNow
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

ServiceNow is relatively stable. I haven't noticed any problems with stability.

I believe it scales well, but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the back end or how it's set up.

It performs well, I have never had any problems with performance.

The company employs over 40,000 people. I'm going to say that the majority of people will need to use it, or maybe half of them use ServiceNow extensively.

I've never had any contact with technical support.

Black Duck, Veracode, and SonarQube are some of the tools we use.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup because it was already in place when I joined the organization.

I've heard that some of its features are difficult to implement. I've never done it myself, but from what I've heard from other teams, it takes a long time to create a full flow. It's not quite that easy.

We have a team that handles updates, patches, and fixes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ServiceNow a seven out of ten.

Rupesh Jethwa - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Globant
Workflow automation solution that offers ROI from three months of implementation
  • "Operations and maintenance costs have been reduced using this solution. We have been able to deliver faster solutions to our customers and track progress using live data."
  • "Before implementing this solution, you should have the ITSM model in place for chain management requests. That is a prerequisite because you cannot perform tasks without it."

What is our primary use case?

Many organizations use this solution for event management. They integrate their monitoring systems with ServiceNow for events and incidents. ServiceNow is also used for the automation of tasks such as the launching of AWS or Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

Operations and maintenance costs have been reduced using this solution. We have been able to deliver faster solutions to our customers and track progress using live data.

What is most valuable?

ServiceNow is a platform you can use to build an ecosystem. It will help your finances models and can be used for ITSM and ITBM.

I have been using ServiceNow since 2010.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

This solution offers good customer support. If there are any issues, their engineers will guide you on how to solve it.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I am an expert and know how to gather requirements and complete implementations. The initial setup is not complex but someone who is new to this technology, may need assistance from an expert. The time it takes to deploy the solution depends on an organization's requirements. If they want to only implement event management, the timeline would be shorter.

We required an internal architect for implementation and one project manager to maintain the solution. We needed four ServiceNow senior developers and a ServiceNow QA for testing. For a bigger organization, you would need six people. This depends on the number of completion items. If you are using between 100 to 200 completion items, it is easier and you may need fewer people for installation. If you have more than 40K completion items, you would need six to 10 people.

We have seen a return on investment within three to six months when using this solutions.

The licensing cost is based on your partnership with ServiceNow and what you have selected for implementation. There is an annual license cost which is calculated based on your number of devices.

You cam purchase ServiceNow for approximately $60 along with one additional day environment, one pro and one day. The ITSM license will be calculated based on the end user and is free of charge. It depends if you are purchasing the enterprise ITSM or standard ITMS. Once you connect with the ServiceNow account manager, they can explain exactly how this will work for your business.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
ServiceNow
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dawn McClure - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The Cadillac of ticketing systems
  • "I find the incident management part to be the most valuable. That's how the service desk tracks tickets."
  • "The discovery of assets could be improved; right now they only allow for one domain."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for incident management, change request management, and service request catalog. These are our three primary use cases.

Within our organization, there are roughly 15,000 to 20,000 employees using this solution. We have two staff members that handle all maintenance-related issues.

As our mission over the next couple of years is acquisition, we definitely plan to increase our usage of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We aligned several different service desks onto one platform. There is a cost savings in not maintaining multiple systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They could be more competitive with their licensing. We went to roll out asset management discovery and at the time they charge per network device only and you didn't get a price break until you were at 5k devices. To me, I would change the licensing to discovery of all devices. We made do with SCCM instead, but the limitation with using that is that we can only discovery over one domain.

CreatorCon is an event for Servicenow customers to show off what they've done with the tool. Servicenow benefits because they can partner with the customer to make a solution a permanent solution in the tool.

I have been using ServiceNow for 11 years.

In the 11 years that we've been using it, it's not gone down more than once; and we started with just one help desk on it — we now have five.

If you get the right person, the technical support is pretty good.

We used to use E-Service — it was horrible.

Deployment took four weeks.

A vendor helped us with the implementation. That made things pretty easy.

Our licensing is on a yearly basis. We normally end up doing a true-up payment because we tend to acquire more people and use more licenses.

Yes, Remedy (Salesforce), SysAid, Cherwell, TopDesk. Cherwell came in a close second.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use a third-party vendor to help with the installation. Keep in mind, some are good, some aren't. You would have to send your staff away for training for about six months before they could even attempt to implement this solution.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give ServiceNow a rating of nine. There's always room for improvement, but it's the Cadillac of ticketing systems.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Owner and People Lead at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
AI capabilities are quite useful but new features have a tendency to be immature
  • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the possibility of the application development cap so that we can digitize workflows."
  • "If you have advanced questions, technical support often doesn't know the answer."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for IT service management and then we're using it for custom applications. That includes digitizing workflows and helping our company with that.

What is most valuable?

The solution was bought for ITSM and we have also bought the Pro package, meaning that we have particular AI capabilities, among other features, that are quite useful.

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the possibility of the application development cap so that we can digitize workflows.

The solution scales well.

We've found the product to be quite stable so far.

What needs improvement?

When ServiceNow adds new features we have seen a tendency that they are very immature. They may release items too soon. In a company where you need to tweak and adjust, then I think there are so many improvements to be done.

The stability has been good so far. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have five engineers on the solution, and then 375 users and 200 App Engine users.

The solution is quite easy to scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so relatively easily.

I've been in touch with technical support both directly and indirectly.

Their level of support is about the same as Microsoft. If you ask advances questions, however, it's difficult for them to help. They need to be more knowledgeable about the product itself - especially in regards to advanced features.

I would say that we are not completely satisfied with their level of service.

I didn't handle the initial implementation and I wasn't part of the team that did. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was to implement or what the deployment process looked like. I'm not sure how long it took.

The solution is on the cloud and therefore doesn't require any maintenance.

The solution is a bit expensive. We have bundled it into our three licenses. It's difficult to actually say if they are more expensive than, for example, PowerApps, since everything is bundled together.

I've looked at PowerApps. I'd say that ServiceNow has smaller features. The pricing is likely the same.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of the solution.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Allows you to do many creative things, and is a good product for service processes and adherence to standards
  • "It is a very promising product. They have a new release every six months. They're investing quite a lot, and you can do many creative things with the product. If you know how it works, you can have stricter rules in the product."
  • "Their user interface is old-fashioned and outdated, and it can be more friendly for the eye. They can improve the user experience."

What is our primary use case?

I'm in the public service sector, and it is used for public services.

In terms of deployment, you normally buy ServiceNow on the cloud. You can also have it on-prem, but they're not very keen on giving you that option. So, more often, it is on the cloud, which is very difficult for my type of clients who are not based in America because ServiceNow Cloud is all on American hyperscalers.

How has it helped my organization?

It is important to route a ticket or service request to the right person. It needs to adhere to various standards, and ServiceNow is a very good product in this domain.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Their user interface is old-fashioned and outdated, and it can be more friendly for the eye. They can improve the user experience.

We should be able to have different UI frameworks. Currently, they only do Angular, and sometimes, you can do React, but they can be more open-minded in this regard.

They are quite good in case management, but they can work more on case management. They can also adhere more to BPMN 2.0.

You need to know how to use it. You need to do a scope application. If you have everything on the same table, it gets slow. You need to know how the product works, and you need to adhere to the rules. Otherwise, it would become slow.

They have third parties that have competencies. It is not so easy to interact directly with the vendor because they have outsourced to their service partners and integration partners who know what to do. You also have communities taking your questions, but you mostly rely on the implementation partners. Other vendors have also followed the same approach where they produce the platform, and sub-parties produce the service.

It is quite straightforward, but you need an expert. It is a specialized tool.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good. They are growing a lot, and it seems that for them, it is about what to do first. Everyone wants to talk to them, and they are good, especially in the field of service processes and case management. I like them, but they're difficult to work with because they're very busy.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Ligia Godoi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Service Delivery Manager at DXC
A stable solution for processing and cataloging customer service requests
  • "It's a very low-code platform, and it's simple. The user experience is also really good."
  • "I know that discovery tools are not meant to be simple, but somehow, if they could make it more simple and robust, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use ServiceNow for all service delivering processes within service management. For service and incident problems, change and configuration management, relief management, and event management.

Within our organization, there are roughly 30,000 users, using ServiceNow.

What is most valuable?

From a service perspective, I think that being able to customize it great. It's a very low-code platform, and it's simple. The user experience is also really good.

What needs improvement?

From a configuration/discovery perspective, how you map your infrastructure and the relationship — that could be improved in a sense to make it simpler. I know that discovery tools are not meant to be simple, but somehow, if they could make it more simple and robust, that would be great.

You just need plenty of experience with the solution, then it becomes much easier to use.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that I would like ServiceNow to include in the next release.

I have been using ServiceNow for two years.

ServiceNow is very stable. The scalability is also great.

I can't evaluate their technical support because I don't get support from ServiceNow myself. I'm responsible for implementing it for our clients, but we don't provide support.

The initial setup was very easy.

Initially, deployment took us eight months. Once we had some experience with it, we could deploy it in four months.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to evaluate the license more — seriously look into their licensing options. The way that ServiceNow licenses the product, there is no concurrent user model so you have to pay for each user, and each type of user, that uses the tool. It can be very expensive depending on how you use it. Sometimes you cannot implement other modules because they don't have a budget for that. So make sure you correctly look over the different types of licenses to make sure you understand what to expect.

ServiceNow should review and make the solution more flexible for clients who have more users, or users that are not concurring, to know how to share licenses. To have options depending on how the client wants to use them so that everyone can benefit from it — that would be my advice.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give ServiceNow a rating of eight.

Head of Market Analytics at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable and stable but could be more user-friendly
  • "You can scale the solution."
  • "It's too complicated and there are too many options."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for service desk requests, in order to track service desk requests and to know who's asking what and track these requests.

What is most valuable?

You can scale the solution.

The product has very good stability.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to use. It's a bit complicated and the user experience isn't exactly easy.

It's too complicated and there are too many options.

I've been using the solution for two or three years or so.

In my experience, the solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I find it to be reliable.

It's my understanding that the solution scales well.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently.

I've never used technical support in the past. There never was a need to reach out. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are, however, as I have no direct experience with them.

I also have experience with Jira.

I didn't really get involved in the initial installation. It's my understanding that there really isn't one. In my experience, there's just a simple link that you click on and you're all set.

I don't have any information about the licensing process or costs. It's not an aspect of the solution I deal with. I'm not in charge of it.

I've compared this solution to Jira in the past and I find them both to be complex in terms of the user experience.

That said, I haven't evaluated anything to replace this product at this company.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if we're using an on-premises or cloud deployment.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

At this point, I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution at I don't have enough personal experience with it.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Director, IT Networking at a think tank with 1-10 employees
he interface is not user-friendly and it costs a lot of money to manage, but it's reliable
  • "I like that it's always up and running."
  • "The interface is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I have used this solution to create forms for employees to fill out.

The main use is for incident management.

They are configuring the asset management in CMDB, and they are installing at this time.

How has it helped my organization?

It has the ability to consolidate different areas of the service desk into one solution.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's always up and running.

What needs improvement?

I am not a fan of ServiceNow.

The menus and the interface need improvement. It feels like a shopping cart and like I am shopping on the internet. The graphics of the menu could be better.

The interface is not user-friendly.

To me, ServiceNow is a money pit. It takes a lot of money to manage it.

With this company, I have been using ServiceNow for one year, and another two years before that in other companies.

I am using the latest version.

ServiceNow is a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. We have not had any issues with the scalability of this solution.

We have 5,000 users in our organization who use it.

This solution is used quite a bit and the company plans to increase its usage.

I have not contacted technical support.

This solution was already in place, but in a different organization, I used a solution called SysAid. I thought it was much easier to manage.

This was already in place when I arrived, but they are installing the CMDB and we need the help of a partner.

It seems to be very complex.

We have one person who is dedicated to the maintenance of this solution. He is a Service Desk Supervisor.

My experience with the integrator has been positive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to be prepared to spend money.

While this product works, I feel that the UI is terrible, it's horrendous.

I would rate ServiceNow a four out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free ServiceNow Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022