Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Practice Director, Global Infrastructure Services at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution which is easy to use
  • "The solution is stable, scalable and easy to use."
  • "The solution should offer better security when it comes to storing data."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for IT Operations Management, SLA and ordinary day-to-day operations. We also use it for business dashboards and different groups within the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution very much. The majority of customers use it. It is one of the best, the most apt solution the industry has to offer. It is stable, scalable and easy to use.

The total ITSM package offers availability, performance and scalability.

I think the tool has matured sufficiently over the past six years that I do not see room for improvement. It comes with in-built capabilities and it is up to us to use it as we see fit. I would say it meets nearly every use case of ours.

What needs improvement?

While we consider the solution to be fine, a weakness of it is that it is not on-premises.

Security and privacy issues should be addressed in respect of the IT operations data and data storage. They should not be on a shared infrastructure, but on the SaaS in isolated storage. The solution should offer better security when it comes to storing data.

We have been using ServiceNow for quite some time, perhaps as long as six years.

ServiceNow
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I have encountered no issues with the technical support or its response time. I have found its response time to be prompt.

The entire installation process is easy and very straightforward, which consists primarily of the installation of the tool and its configuration. We are talking about SaaS, software as a service installation, meaning one which is ready for use. As such, there is no real installation work involved.

The installation period lasts from two to several weeks. A medium enterprise would have a two week installation period and a large one would have a month.

Although I am not directly involved in the team staffing purposes relating to the installation, I would estimate that it would not involve more than five or six specialists.

The license involves a multi-year contract. While the option exists to pay for a monthly license, we are dealing with large enterprises and these typically involve multi-year licenses of ten or five years, at a minimum.

What other advice do I have?

As systems integrators, we deploy the solution both on-premises and on the cloud, although it is mostly cloud-based. While we handle both on-premises and SaaS deployment, I am only addressing the aspects involving the latter.

Globally, we manage in excess of 250 customers. We have a shared services model which serves more than one hundred customers.

I do not feel it would be beneficial to explore other options beyond ServiceNow.

I rate ServiceNow as an eight out of ten.

Head of Digital Services & Technologies at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with good integrations and fairly stable
  • "The solution integrates well with other products."
  • "A new user does need training or time to learn the solution before jumping in. It was very hard in the beginning to understand everything. I couldn't find the models I needed at the time."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as it's a requirement for our standards of use in the future. I primarily use the product to look for tickets. I also check for future projects and so on.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

Now that I've worked with it a little bit, I can find what I need rather quickly.

It was pretty easy to implement the solution.

The solution is quite sizable. There are a lot of features.

It can scale well.

The product is stable.

The solution integrates well with other products.

We've been pretty happy with the level of support they offer their clients.

What needs improvement?

A new user does need training or time to learn the solution before jumping in. It was very hard in the beginning to understand everything. I couldn't find the models I needed at the time.

I've only been using the solution for a few months. It's only been a rather short amount of time.

The stability of the product is good. There aren't bugs or glitches to deal with. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so.

At our organization, there are about 300 users on the product currently.

We'll be using the solution into the future.

The solution has fairly good technical support. We're pretty satisfied with their level of service. I'd say they are responsive and knowledgable.

We previously used HP before switching to this product.

The solution was easy to implement as it wasn't styled out. It wasn't too complex.

Normally there is staff training near the beginning. This is not the case anymore. You can use it right away, however, it is difficult in the beginning, coming at it from a new user's perspective. That's the main thing to keep in mind. Organizations should be aware of this at the outset and plan for it.

During the implementation, we did get help from outside sources. This assisted in the setup process. It helps if a company gets training before as well.

I'm not responsible for licensing and therefore don't have any information in terms of pricing or cost structure. It's not something that I need to worry about in my day to day.

What other advice do I have?

I assume that we are using the most up to date version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution.

On a scale from one to ten, overall, I would rate it at an eight.

ServiceNow
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr. Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, has good workflow capabilities, but the setup could be simplified and the interface could be improved
  • "The subsequent chain of tasks, I believe, is valuable."
  • "The interface requires an upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our tickets go through ServiceNow.

Any tickets that we need to open in order to interact with other teams and make things happen go through ServiceNow.

When I need to create an AWS account, I use ServiceNow. I need to use ServiceNow to request a new machine.

We use ServiceNow for everything that requires us to interact with other teams.

They use it for internal communication across all departments.

What is most valuable?

What I believe works well is the chain of tasks that occurs when you follow up after completing a task. The subsequent chain of tasks, I believe, is valuable.

What needs improvement?

The interface, in my opinion, is not very good. It's very unclear where the status is and what steps I need to take next. I don't think the layout is very good.

The interface requires an upgrade. I'm not sure if I'm using the most recent version, which could be the issue. However, I don't have control over which versions we use, and I do find the interface to be very cumbersome, there is a lot of information here, and it's difficult to find what you are looking for.

I find myself occasionally looking at the request and wondering if I already approved it or not because the status is a little strange. It's not great.

It's not very intuitive.

I interact with ServiceNow quite a bit. I have been using it for eight years.

ServiceNow is relatively stable. I haven't noticed any problems with stability.

I believe it scales well, but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the back end or how it's set up.

It performs well, I have never had any problems with performance.

The company employs over 40,000 people. I'm going to say that the majority of people will need to use it, or maybe half of them use ServiceNow extensively.

I've never had any contact with technical support.

Black Duck, Veracode, and SonarQube are some of the tools we use.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup because it was already in place when I joined the organization.

I've heard that some of its features are difficult to implement. I've never done it myself, but from what I've heard from other teams, it takes a long time to create a full flow. It's not quite that easy.

We have a team that handles updates, patches, and fixes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ServiceNow a seven out of ten.

Rupesh Jethwa - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Globant
Workflow automation solution that offers ROI from three months of implementation
  • "Operations and maintenance costs have been reduced using this solution. We have been able to deliver faster solutions to our customers and track progress using live data."
  • "Before implementing this solution, you should have the ITSM model in place for chain management requests. That is a prerequisite because you cannot perform tasks without it."

What is our primary use case?

Many organizations use this solution for event management. They integrate their monitoring systems with ServiceNow for events and incidents. ServiceNow is also used for the automation of tasks such as the launching of AWS or Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

Operations and maintenance costs have been reduced using this solution. We have been able to deliver faster solutions to our customers and track progress using live data.

What is most valuable?

ServiceNow is a platform you can use to build an ecosystem. It will help your finances models and can be used for ITSM and ITBM.

I have been using ServiceNow since 2010.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

This solution offers good customer support. If there are any issues, their engineers will guide you on how to solve it.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I am an expert and know how to gather requirements and complete implementations. The initial setup is not complex but someone who is new to this technology, may need assistance from an expert. The time it takes to deploy the solution depends on an organization's requirements. If they want to only implement event management, the timeline would be shorter.

We required an internal architect for implementation and one project manager to maintain the solution. We needed four ServiceNow senior developers and a ServiceNow QA for testing. For a bigger organization, you would need six people. This depends on the number of completion items. If you are using between 100 to 200 completion items, it is easier and you may need fewer people for installation. If you have more than 40K completion items, you would need six to 10 people.

We have seen a return on investment within three to six months when using this solutions.

The licensing cost is based on your partnership with ServiceNow and what you have selected for implementation. There is an annual license cost which is calculated based on your number of devices.

You cam purchase ServiceNow for approximately $60 along with one additional day environment, one pro and one day. The ITSM license will be calculated based on the end user and is free of charge. It depends if you are purchasing the enterprise ITSM or standard ITMS. Once you connect with the ServiceNow account manager, they can explain exactly how this will work for your business.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Dawn McClure - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The Cadillac of ticketing systems
  • "I find the incident management part to be the most valuable. That's how the service desk tracks tickets."
  • "The discovery of assets could be improved; right now they only allow for one domain."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for incident management, change request management, and service request catalog. These are our three primary use cases.

Within our organization, there are roughly 15,000 to 20,000 employees using this solution. We have two staff members that handle all maintenance-related issues.

As our mission over the next couple of years is acquisition, we definitely plan to increase our usage of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We aligned several different service desks onto one platform. There is a cost savings in not maintaining multiple systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They could be more competitive with their licensing. We went to roll out asset management discovery and at the time they charge per network device only and you didn't get a price break until you were at 5k devices. To me, I would change the licensing to discovery of all devices. We made do with SCCM instead, but the limitation with using that is that we can only discovery over one domain.

CreatorCon is an event for Servicenow customers to show off what they've done with the tool. Servicenow benefits because they can partner with the customer to make a solution a permanent solution in the tool.

I have been using ServiceNow for 11 years.

In the 11 years that we've been using it, it's not gone down more than once; and we started with just one help desk on it — we now have five.

If you get the right person, the technical support is pretty good.

We used to use E-Service — it was horrible.

Deployment took four weeks.

A vendor helped us with the implementation. That made things pretty easy.

Our licensing is on a yearly basis. We normally end up doing a true-up payment because we tend to acquire more people and use more licenses.

Yes, Remedy (Salesforce), SysAid, Cherwell, TopDesk. Cherwell came in a close second.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use a third-party vendor to help with the installation. Keep in mind, some are good, some aren't. You would have to send your staff away for training for about six months before they could even attempt to implement this solution.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give ServiceNow a rating of nine. There's always room for improvement, but it's the Cadillac of ticketing systems.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Owner and People Lead at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
AI capabilities are quite useful but new features have a tendency to be immature
  • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the possibility of the application development cap so that we can digitize workflows."
  • "If you have advanced questions, technical support often doesn't know the answer."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for IT service management and then we're using it for custom applications. That includes digitizing workflows and helping our company with that.

What is most valuable?

The solution was bought for ITSM and we have also bought the Pro package, meaning that we have particular AI capabilities, among other features, that are quite useful.

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the possibility of the application development cap so that we can digitize workflows.

The solution scales well.

We've found the product to be quite stable so far.

What needs improvement?

When ServiceNow adds new features we have seen a tendency that they are very immature. They may release items too soon. In a company where you need to tweak and adjust, then I think there are so many improvements to be done.

The stability has been good so far. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have five engineers on the solution, and then 375 users and 200 App Engine users.

The solution is quite easy to scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so relatively easily.

I've been in touch with technical support both directly and indirectly.

Their level of support is about the same as Microsoft. If you ask advances questions, however, it's difficult for them to help. They need to be more knowledgeable about the product itself - especially in regards to advanced features.

I would say that we are not completely satisfied with their level of service.

I didn't handle the initial implementation and I wasn't part of the team that did. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was to implement or what the deployment process looked like. I'm not sure how long it took.

The solution is on the cloud and therefore doesn't require any maintenance.

The solution is a bit expensive. We have bundled it into our three licenses. It's difficult to actually say if they are more expensive than, for example, PowerApps, since everything is bundled together.

I've looked at PowerApps. I'd say that ServiceNow has smaller features. The pricing is likely the same.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of the solution.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Allows you to do many creative things, and is a good product for service processes and adherence to standards
  • "It is a very promising product. They have a new release every six months. They're investing quite a lot, and you can do many creative things with the product. If you know how it works, you can have stricter rules in the product."
  • "Their user interface is old-fashioned and outdated, and it can be more friendly for the eye. They can improve the user experience."

What is our primary use case?

I'm in the public service sector, and it is used for public services.

In terms of deployment, you normally buy ServiceNow on the cloud. You can also have it on-prem, but they're not very keen on giving you that option. So, more often, it is on the cloud, which is very difficult for my type of clients who are not based in America because ServiceNow Cloud is all on American hyperscalers.

How has it helped my organization?

It is important to route a ticket or service request to the right person. It needs to adhere to various standards, and ServiceNow is a very good product in this domain.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Their user interface is old-fashioned and outdated, and it can be more friendly for the eye. They can improve the user experience.

We should be able to have different UI frameworks. Currently, they only do Angular, and sometimes, you can do React, but they can be more open-minded in this regard.

They are quite good in case management, but they can work more on case management. They can also adhere more to BPMN 2.0.

You need to know how to use it. You need to do a scope application. If you have everything on the same table, it gets slow. You need to know how the product works, and you need to adhere to the rules. Otherwise, it would become slow.

They have third parties that have competencies. It is not so easy to interact directly with the vendor because they have outsourced to their service partners and integration partners who know what to do. You also have communities taking your questions, but you mostly rely on the implementation partners. Other vendors have also followed the same approach where they produce the platform, and sub-parties produce the service.

It is quite straightforward, but you need an expert. It is a specialized tool.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good. They are growing a lot, and it seems that for them, it is about what to do first. Everyone wants to talk to them, and they are good, especially in the field of service processes and case management. I like them, but they're difficult to work with because they're very busy.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Senior Loan Analyst at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Offers everything in one place but it can be a little clunky
  • "In terms of the most valuable features, it's nice to have everything in one place. Things are easy to follow up on. ServiceNow provides that workflow. I know at some level it is in the pipeline and then if I need to follow up, everything's there. Those are the key benefits of ServiceNow."
  • "I find ServiceNow to be a little bit clunky. If I need to report an issue they have a number of different options. I can report an issue, I can ask a question, I can make a request and it has varying levels of importance or levels of attention required. I find that what's required to submit is not always clear."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a combination of things. I would say that the two big use cases that I'm aware of are for logging general acute IT issues. Then they also use it for actual security-specific issues. These are the two main use cases that I'm aware of.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, it's nice to have everything in one place. Things are easy to follow up on. ServiceNow provides that workflow. I know at some level it is in the pipeline and then if I need to follow up, everything's there. Those are the key benefits of ServiceNow.

What needs improvement?

I find ServiceNow to be a little bit clunky. If I need to report an issue they have a number of different options. I can report an issue, I can ask a question, I can make a request and it has varying levels of importance or levels of attention required. I find that what's required to submit is not always clear.

For example, I was once trying to import an issue and it required that I submit a screenshot. I kept clicking to try and get through and there were some paper clips in the rear upper corner that I didn't notice and I didn't know were required. That kind of issue bugs me about it. The guidelines are not as easy to use. I think it's a little bit clunky. It's not user-friendly.

We have had ServiceNow installed for at least the last three years.

I've never had an issue with it in terms of stability. It's always available when I need it.

As far as the scalability of this solution, my guess is it is probably good.

The setup was pretty straightforward. They rolled this thing out and nobody has been swapped over from the road system is pretty seamless.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is fine, and I would certainly tell others to give it a look.

I don't know if there are more features available. It needs a more intuitive interface. They need to make it easier to understand what's required and probably make it a little nicer looking because it looks industrial.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Download our free ServiceNow Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022