We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Project Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Good workflow capabilities that integrates well, helpful support, and priced well
  • "You can put information in or export it out quickly, which is very useful when you have weekly or monthly reports."
  • "When it comes to changing some of the features, I would like a little more leeway."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for handling help desk tickets and tasks.

What is most valuable?

I like the workflow functions that are available in ServiceNow and the ability to actually integrate all of the information that you have such as travel tickets or assignment tickets for your team, onto your dashboard, depending on your setup, or if you create a ticket and a dashboard for your team.

When you update them in one place, it will show you updates in other places.

I like that functionality.

ServiceNow has more capability and the ability to integrate other solutions such as Excel or tables.

You can put information in or export it out quickly, which is very useful when you have weekly or monthly reports.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to changing some of the features, I would like a little more leeway.

This may not apply to every version but there are certain capabilities that you have to specifically order a la carte in order for the developers or your administrators to have access.

Having more integration without having to pay the a la carte, otherwise, you have to put in a ticket and have it approved, and if not you have to find a workaround for the solution.

I have been working with ServiceNow for five years.

We are using the most up-to-date version.

I definitely like the scalability, because if you have a small company or if you have a large enterprise, It allows you to tailor it.

The scalability of it is very good and putting it on the server, makes it very useful.

Their technical support was overall helpful.

A lot of it ended up actually being directed to the administration. ServiceNow developers and any support issues primarily go to them.

When I was researching to implement ServiceNow for another group, I contacted technical support and they were extremely helpful.

They set up meetings and were willing to talk through everything, to help us meet or help answer questions for our stakeholders.

It was very easy to set up. It was very easy to make sure things were activated.

Once you get the base up, it's easy to start to build out.

There are templates that are available, and you also have the ability to create your own.

It's very quick to implement.

The cost is the only area that I have never been privy to.

I know that the price is not too bad because people continue to use it and they are happy to renew their contract. But I've never been given the actual cost of it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that they have a meeting with their salesperson and go through the demo that they offer. I also recommend that they have their administrators or the people that are going to use it, sign up for the ServiceNow training that they offer.

Those are the two things that I definitely recommend before they use it. Other than that, it's really integrated.

I still have my ServiceNow login where I can go to a test site and test things out before we put them into real production.

I would rate ServiceNow an eight out of ten.

Roland Zuurveld
Senior Consultant at Sequal IT
Gives us professionalized and faster incident turn around times but there should be faster integrations between solutions
  • "It gave us professionalized, faster incident turn around times. Improved quality of information shared with our customers. Over time we build an extensive knowledge base that assists in both self-service as in services provided by the servicedesk when handling incidents."
  • "There should be fewer clicks and faster integrations between solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for service management, incident, change, problem, asset, and lifecycle. The system was build and integrated to SAP as a backend ERP?CRM system. This made integrations and choices in functionality complicated. However, by replacing Symphony as a rather internal orientated system, ServiceNow gave us the benefit of tight customer integrations by means of the web-based portal, which is a user-friendly interface to use and actually helps speeding up incident handling by improved communication and information sharing.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us professionalized, faster incident turn around times. Improved quality of information shared with our customers. Over time we build an extensive knowledge base that assists in both self-service as in services provided by the servicedesk when handling incidents.

Because we first redesigned our internal and external processes we were able to effectively roll out and implement ServiceNow, sequentially per workflow, and put the lessons learned in earlier implementations to work for us. Overall is has improved service management on CSM.

What is most valuable?

There is one platform and many solutions. Workflows are well designed and robust. All user screens have the same look and feel, helping to understand the logic of the supported workflows. Integrations to third parties are strong and build on on off the shelve API integrations which makes them quite easy to build. ServiceNow is built on the best practice framework ITIL and helps customers organize their organizations accordingly. Although many trainings need to be completed, this assures a proper knowledge level at the users.

What needs improvement?

There should be fewer clicks and faster integrations between solutions. Too much information needs to be entered when transferring between solutions. Obvious logic does not always seem to apply when transferring tasks between workflows. Having said this, the availability of these many workflows and solutions on one platform is the strength of ServiceNow.

New development of new features is not as flexible as one would expect, global adherence to rules and regelations seem to bog down the development and release process.

I have been using ServiceNow for six years.

It is very stable.

We haven't met the limitations.

Their support is not experienced.

We did use Symphony which was very internal oriented and needed a step towards our customers. Servicenow provided us the possibility to interface with numerous different customers in different countries as well as third parties.

The setup was complex due to country dependencies and integrations.

We deployed in-house.

Licensing model ServiceNow is expensive, so monitor actual use.

Yes, TOPdesk and BMC

What other advice do I have?

make sure you prepare your processes and workflow before implementation, choices made at the implementation stage are carried over into your actual work. The tool basically support all imaginable workflows, although this requires a high level of knowledge, customisation and  coding.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anil  Rao
Vice President Delivery & Operations at Rezilyens
Stable with good automation and reporting
  • "The solution has very good automation tools."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be better. It's a bit high."

What is our primary use case?

Multi Tenant, Scalable, Flexible and Stable

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved out response time to the client

What is most valuable?

The reporting is very good.

The solution has very good automation tools.

The solution has been extremely stable so far.

What needs improvement?

The need to improve their technical support services.

Their dashboards are very, very basic. Maybe if they could develop some sort of very good fancy-looking, visible, graphical, visible kind of appearance.

The pricing of the solution could be better. It's a bit high.

When we are monitoring, for example, a device, an S-Switch, we can create insights. We can segregate the LAN, and create a VLAN. When we create those VLANs, we should be able to monitor those VLANs. The same with storage systems. The LANs, through the cable space level, should be able to be monitored.

I've been working with the solution for eight or nine years so far. It's been almost a decade. I've used it for a while now.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. I find it to be reliable.

The solution works very well for large enterprises. If you have a very, very big setup, it's an ideal option.

Technical support could be better. We are not satisfied with the level of support they offer.

How would you rate customer service and technical support?

Positive

I've also worked with SolarWinds and ManageEngine. I prefer ServiceNow, as there's a lot of automation tools available in that and it's been a stable product. It's been in the market for a long time. It's got a good market reach also.

Very Complex, 13 companies, 9 Towers, 17,000 devices

First time we implemented it through Vendor and we took a training from the OEM and now we have a team to deploy the solution

Not calculated, but I would say 2 years we recover the cost

Their pricing is relatively high. They are expensive.

SolarWinds and ManageEngine

What other advice do I have?

We are not a partner or reseller. I'm a consultant. Before that, I have implemented the products. I've migrated a lot of products, a lot of systems. That's how I have an association with monitoring tools and service test tools.

I differently would recommend the solution if a company is a huge enterprise. For example, if you are maybe looking at more than some 10,000 or 20,000 devices. There should be a minimum of 10,000 devices or 15,000 devices. I would recommend ServiceNow for those setups. For data centers and other things, definitely I would recommend ServiceNow. I would not recommend SolarWinds or ManageEngine for these types of setups. I don't see that much capacity in them.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Strategic Partner
Infrastructure Team Lead at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Numerous useful features, wide range of add-ons, and reliable
  • "There are a lot of features within ServiceNow. There are plenty of add-ons that go beyond the typical core helpdesk operations, such as HR facilities, BRM functionality, and various compliance and governance capabilities."
  • "In an upcoming release, there should be more administration tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for many things, such as ITFM, incident problem change, configuration, and vulnerability response.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features within ServiceNow. There are plenty of add-ons that go beyond the typical core helpdesk operations, such as HR facilities, BRM functionality, and various compliance and governance capabilities. Additionally, they provide a strong security suite with vulnerability, no-code integration, self-service options, and a virtual assistant.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, there should be more administration tools.

I have been using this solution for six years.

The solution is very stable. However, we did have an outage once because their data center was potentially down.

We have not had any issue with the scalability, it is very good.

We have 17,000 users and out of those we currently have approximately 1200 active users using this solution.

When we had an outage the technical support contacted us to let us know what was happening. They have an engineering level of support that is very good.

They could do more follow-ups in relation to issues being resolved.

I would rate the technical support of ServiceNow an eight out of ten.

I am working for a large company and we were using another service provider before that was expensive and complex. I am not sure how many people are still using the old service we were using before because it is outdated compared to other solutions. ServiceNow has a lot more people supporting it, it is a lot easier to find developers, and it is a much more modern platform.

The setup starts out easy but it can get complex quickly.

It is important to be prepared for yearly system updates. Normally your subscription will come with access to those new updates but you need to be ready to quickly update to the latest versions.

I have found the solution very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to make sure they understanding what they are going to use ServiceNow for which is important. There are a lot of cheaper solutions that can do many tasks, such as tracking and work management, that might satisfy their needs better. With this solution, as your company scales up, you are going to need more people to support it. It is a very popular platform and requires a lot of configuration and development to make it useful to an organization.

Everybody wants to customize the solution to make it fit their business model, which is what it is meant for. Even though they have no-code development tools within the platform, having well-skilled developers in your organization will help you move along smoothly.

Having a team that can support the solution is important for success. Unless you have it outsourced, However, you will still have the governance aspect of it to oversee what the roadmap is.

I rate ServiceNow a nine out of ten.

Elizabeth  Juarez
Global Chief Information Officer/ Chief Technology Officer at a recreational facilities/services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It helps us track processes and build our knowledge base
  • "I think ServiceNow is highly stable. These kinds of tools are used in a big company, and I haven't seen any issues in terms of the core platform."
  • "It's a little expensive compared to other tools."

What is our primary use case?

I previously used the on-premise version of ServiceNow. It was a better fit for companies and banks because of their tech security protocols. But for my work with my current company, I am considering the cloud solution because we already have all the other software components in AWS.

What is most valuable?

The main features of ServiceNow that I use are incident approval management and the ability to link all the information we receive from the finance bureau service. We needed to track the different processes within the IT area and incident documentation. Then we gathered all the information and built a knowledge base. That's the central core functionality that I've been using, and I've seen immense benefits.

What needs improvement?

We are elaborating and defining the business processes, so I will believe that we will be able to avoid the older models for the second phase. But first, I wanted to have these incident and asset management models in place as a first phase of the implementation.

I've been using ServiceNow for work I've done with various clients for around eight years. I first used it with Wal-Mart International, and then we used it for one event with Brolin Management. I recently worked with Santander Bank, where we used ServiceNow for all the incident and assets management. Now, I help implement different service management tools at my current company, including ServiceNow.

I think ServiceNow is highly stable. These kinds of tools are used in a big company, and I haven't seen any issues in terms of the core platform. However, if we need to customize something, that would be the point to focus on because this would be something new, not a part of the standard flow for the tool.

I think ServiceNow is scalable in the short term.

The solution has some built-in monitoring capabilities, so we escalate cases as they come. But sometimes the response to our requests is delayed.

Setting up ServiceNow is pretty standard because we want it to manage incidents and use it for other marketing, construction, and procurement areas. But, still, everything would be based on the different services we provide for their operations area. If you move forward with the cloud, I think the number of internal staff needed would be minor. It probably takes around two people to deploy and manage. In this case, we use some external consultants for all the development and maintenance.

For us, it's better to pay the licenses monthly, and I mean when we move ahead with the cloud deployment. I understand that the service includes hosting and licensing as a service as well as some downgoing costs probably. That will be all on the implementation side. It depends if we need some customization. We will need to consider that part as a consultancy.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate ServiceNow nine out of 10 because it's a little expensive compared to other tools, but it's a very good product from a technical standpoint.

Senior System Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A lot of inherent complexity, but it is stable, powerful, and feature-rich
  • "ServiceNow is a very powerful tool that can perform a lot of different functions."
  • "There is inherent complexity with this tool because of the number of things that it can do."

What is our primary use case?

ServiceNow is helpdesk software that I have some experience with. This is not a solution that I deploy. Rather, I interact with it using hooks between it and NetBrain.

It is used for the creation and tracking of tickets and incidents, tasks, projects, and self-ordering. Our parent company uses ServiceNow for ordering and it has been utilized with a lot of different workflows. This is something that we never did but now that we've merged together, and we've merged our instances of ServiceNow, it means more of those self-service tech catalogs now in place and utilized.

How has it helped my organization?

As an end-user, I have not had any real problems with it. I use the capabilities that I have to and it's one of the tools that I have to use because that is where tickets are presented.

What needs improvement?

My company has been working with ServiceNow for close to 10 years.

This is a stable solution. There's very little that I'm aware of in terms of hiccups and complaints.

As an end-user, I have not been in contact with technical support.

We did have an on-premises solution until about a year and a half to two years ago, and now we're using the SaaS version. That changes features and then tools, and perhaps other things as well.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a very powerful tool and with power comes complexity. It's divided up well, and I have experience updating tickets in it. In my opinion, it can do a lot, although some people think that it should do a lot more.

I'm not convinced that it should be the source of truth for everything. Some people promote it as the source of truth, but in networking automation, there are multiple sources of truth. For example, Active Directory is your user source of truth. IPM is your IP source of truth. The ticketing system has access to a lot of things, but does it need to be, and should it be the source of truth for something? I don't think so.

I think that it should pull from other places and be a collection of sources of truth. It's not the source of truth for users, it uses users. It's not the source of truth for devices, as devices are managed elsewhere. However, some people try to force it to you be that source of truth. I think that following such advice can lead to trouble.

Again, it's a very complex system and you can make it do whatever you want. It's just a matter of getting it to react the way you want it to.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Great for incident, change, and knowledge management
  • "We have found change management and CMDB to be very useful."
  • "Their cloud management is also not that great compared to other products."

What is our primary use case?

I worked on the CMDB configuration management setup, and then previously I worked on software asset management also and hardware asset management also. I did a little bit on the ITSM side also.

What is most valuable?

The incident management is great.

We have found change management and CMDB to be very useful.

The knowledge management is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The AAR might require further improvements.

There are areas such as technology management that have scope for further improvement.

Their cloud management is also not that great compared to other products.

There could be some additional capability for discovery. As it matures, it needs to showcase to users what is possible within the solution.

I have been using it for the last seven years or so, on and off, and especially in the last three, four years, more on a more regular basis. I'm using it almost daily at my job.

The solution is stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Sometimes the CMDB, BK table gets slow, however, almost all of the other things are good, at least.

The scalability of the product is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

Technical support has mostly been good. We have no complaints in terms of the level of service.

Whether the initial setup is difficult or complex depends on the implementation. We have done multiple implementations, however, it depends on the product's implementation on the consumer end. It can vary from straightforward to complex.

The deployment also is product-specific, customer-specific, et cetera. It depends, for example, on the number of customers, the particular, specific scope, and which product is required, and how many users and devices that they have. All these things come into play and change how long it would take to set everything up.

The size of the team a company might need for deployment and maintenance is product and scope-specific, however, it can vary from one or two people to even maybe five to ten people, depending on which products are in scope, and what is the scope of maintenance requirements.

If the project is for the ITSM, it'll be 18 or 19 managers playing a role, and the rest being the configuration managers with other things. However, it depends on the project.

We're an implementor. We handle the setup for clients.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We are a managed service provider. As part of the implementation, the client usually does look for a cloud for it.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I deducted a mark as sometimes there is a certain level of slowness, however, for the most part, we have been happy with its capabilities.

Kush Rai
Practice Leader, Solutions architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I find it easy to use as well as easy to add plugins for new features
  • "It's more about the ease of use of ServiceNow. Plus, everything is there in a single platform. If you need any additional functionality, you just need to enable the plugins without even installing anything on the servers"
  • "if I consider from the IT operations management side, ServiceNow is pretty premature on some things, especially the discovery, while the other tools like Micro Focus and BMC Remedy, those that have been in the market for quite some time. ServiceNow is evolving itself in the discovery piece of the future."

What is most valuable?

It's more about the ease of use of ServiceNow. Plus, everything is there in a single platform. If you need any additional functionality, you just need to enable the plugins without even installing anything on the servers. That's the most important thing. You don't have to completely restart the system itself as it is cloud-based so you just need to enable the plugin and then you're just ready to roll.

What needs improvement?

if I consider from the IT operations management side, ServiceNow is pretty premature on some things, especially the discovery, while the other tools like Micro Focus and BMC Remedy, those that have been in the market for quite some time. ServiceNow is evolving itself in the discovery piece of the future.

We have been using ServiceNow for more than six years. Every six months ServiceNow releases a new version. Every time we have to get ourselves certified to the new version, as well as go through different new features that ServiceNow releases. We are partners for ServiceNow. So actually, it's one of the KRS for us to make sure that we are certified with their latest release.

I would say in terms of stability, it is 90% stable. There are certain things which I've experienced with my other customers. So I was not happy with that. So that's the reason why I'm putting a 90% for the stability.

Scalability for ServiceNow is good. I would say 100%.

Documentation, I would say is not that good. I would say 80% in terms of the documentation. This is specifically from the IT operation. I cannot comment on the IT service management piece or the other parts of ServiceNow. In terms of the technical support, I would say 95% which is good.

I would definitely say that I recommend ServiceNow because I've also worked in the Micro Focus tools in the past for quite some time. When I compare it with ServiceNow it is not even close. I would say recommend ServiceNow as compared to the Micro Focus.

The setup of ServiceNow is very straightforward. You just have to raise a service request with them and they get it all setup with any plugins that you request for it. So far, I have not experienced any issues.

The pricing is very good compared to its competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that I recommend ServiceNow because I've also worked in the Micro Focus tools in the past for quite some time. When I compare it with ServiceNow it is not even close. I would say recommend ServiceNow as compared to the Micro Focus.

Private Cloud

Other
Download our free ServiceNow Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.