We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Senior Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good scripting and customization, but documentation could be better
  • "PRTG gives us true visibility of the downtime of particular circuit functions. So if a circuit is up but not routing traffic, I will know with this tool. I can write a customized script for a sensor to detect specific things."
  • "PRTG's documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're using PRTG for network, asset, and infrastructure monitoring. I have five network and infrastructure engineers using the solution, and we're not using it extensively. It's one of our secondary monitoring tools.

How has it helped my organization?

PRTG gives us true visibility of the downtime of particular circuit functions. So if a circuit is up but not routing traffic, I will know with this tool. I can write a customized script for a sensor to detect specific things.

What is most valuable?

One useful feature is PRTG's scripting ability. We can go into the system and create monitoring sensors, for lack of a better phrase. So I can look for something specific instead of just uptime or downtime on a specific asset.

What needs improvement?

PRTG's documentation could be improved.

I've been using PRTG Network Monitor for about a year.

PRTG's stability is fine.

We're not that big of an organization, so I can't say much about scalability, but we've had no problems with it.

I've had no contact with PRTG support.

In the past, we used SolarWinds. We switched to PRTG because it was more scriptable and customizable.

Setting up PRTG was straightforward and took a few hours.

After the initial acquisition cost, the license is about four grand a year.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PRTG Network Monitor seven out of 10. If you are considering PRTG, you should take into account the fact that the data is going up into the cloud in a private, isolated console or a tenant in a multi-tenant environment. Just be aware of what you want to look for and know how to get it in terms of status, uptime, etc.

Other
Jose Robles
CEO & Founder at SISTECO
Reseller
Lightweight, network discovery works well, and generally maintains the health of your network
  • "Network Discovery is a feature that our customers like a lot."
  • "The technical support could respond a little bit quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider in the IT industry, and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We are using this product ourselves, and we have several customers who are also using it.

It is basically used for monitoring alerts, such as memory from a server has gone down.

What is most valuable?

Network Discovery is a feature that our customers like a lot.

The ability to maintain the health of the network is very good.

The user interface is okay.

This is a very lightweight solution.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could respond a little bit quicker.

A better console would be an improvement.

I have been working with PRTG Network Monitor for approximately five years.

The stability is excellent.

The networks in Guatemala are not very large, so scalability has not been an issue for us.

Our clients are typically medium-sized businesses.

We are working towards increasing the number of deployments.

I would rate the technical support and eight out of ten. They could be a little better in terms of response speed. Usually, they respond the next day.

The initial setup is straightforward and very simple. The length of time required for deployment depends on the size of the network but usually, we're talking about two hours.

We provide technical support to our customers who are using this product.

On average, two people are required for deployment and maintenance.

The pricing is okay and it is cheaper than some competing products.

The other product that our customers normally consider is SolarWinds.

SolarWinds is a more robust solution, and as such, it is much more expensive than PRTG. Most of the time, based on budget, our customers choose PRTG.

What other advice do I have?

For me, this is a nice solution and I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about PRTG Network Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rodrigo Corte
Operational Management at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A flexible solution that allows us to monitor many aspects of IT
  • "It is very flexible, and we can monitor many aspects of IT as well as ERP and CRM services. It has a very powerful interface and APIs for customization."
  • "Its price can be better. Its price is a problem for us because it is in dollars, and there is a high conversion rate. In terms of new features, it can have BGP monitoring. It should also have a dashboard and maps editor."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for some internet providers and educational institutes.

What is most valuable?

It is very flexible, and we can monitor many aspects of IT as well as ERP and CRM services. It has a very powerful interface and APIs for customization.

What needs improvement?

In terms of new features, it can have BGP monitoring. It should also have a dashboard and maps editor.

I have been using this solution since 2014.

It is installed on a Windows Server, and its stability is very nice.

Its scalability is good. For on-premises deployments, the scalability depends on the hardware. For cloud deployments, the scalability depends on the number of servers.

Around 50% of our clients are small organizations and around 20% of our clients are big organizations.

Their technical support is pretty good. As a reseller, we get fairly good support from them, and we also sell support services for our clients.

The initial setup is very easy. An average implementation takes one to two hours.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

They have a roadmap in which they have described all the features for the upcoming releases. This roadmap is available on their portal.

I would recommend this solution. I would rate PRTG Network Monitor a ten out of ten.

Dev Ops Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Excellent basic monitoring of computer resources and usage but not suited for complex environments
  • "What I've found most valuable is the custom sensor, which allows you to write scripts or code to monitor a specific metric in your environment."
  • "PRTG's application monitoring sensor is not strong."

What is our primary use case?

We use PRTG network monitoring to monitor our server, especially for computing resources.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

PRTG's application monitoring sensor is not strong and could be improved, and I've also had some issues with it crashing during upgrades. In the next release, I would like to see the ability to monitor connections between services.

I've been using this solution for more than a year.

The platform is stable - other than the issues with upgrading, we haven't encountered any problems with it.

I think the platform is relatively scalable - we added two additional probes, and everything has worked fine without any issues.

The technical support team is very responsive.

The initial setup was relatively easy.

Adding extra sensors will incur an additional cost.

I evaluated Centron, which is more flexible and customizable, but I think that PRTG is easier to administer. The initial setup with PRTG is also easier than with other solutions at the same level.

What other advice do I have?

PRTG is very good for basic monitoring of computer resources and usage. However, if you have relatively complex environments, you may need a different product. I would give this solution a rating of six out of ten.

DevOps Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Good support, reasonable price, and easy to set up health checks and run scans
  • "It is user-friendly. It is easy to set up health checks within PRTG and use scans. It is like a self-service tool, and anyone can configure their own settings within PRTG."
  • "In our organization, we encounter performance issues with our PRTG probe service. I saw documentation from the vendor or Paessler mentioning that there are limitations for WMI sensors. Other than that, we are okay with PRTG."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for the health check of our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is stable.

Its scalability is fine. We have between 300 to 500 people. We have plans to increase its usage.

Their support is good. We can easily reach out to the vendor or the Paessler support team.

When I started with my company, they were already using PRTG and SCOM. PRTG is more user-friendly than SCOM. I prefer PRTG over SCOM, but it also depends on the use case.

The pricing for PRTG in our case is reasonable because we have a lot of applications to monitor within PRTG. It is not that expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate PRTG Network Monitor a nine out of 10.

Senior Network & Security Engineer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Accurate reports, easy to use, but protocols need updating
  • "The solution is easy to manage and the reports are very accurate."
  • "There is room for improvement in this solution for the performance and third-party monitoring protocols. They need to be updated to the latest ones."

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to manage and the reports are very accurate.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in this solution for the performance and third-party monitoring protocols. They need to be updated to the latest ones.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The solution is stable in my experience.

I have found the scalability to be good. Most of my clients have been medium-size businesses using this solution.

The technical support needs some improvement. The response time is slow, we normally get a response the next business day for urgent issues which is long time.

I have used Cisco solutions in the past. The main difference when comparing Cisco and this solution is Cisco supports Cisco Prime and this solution does not. This is the disadvantage if you want to use Cisco Prime. However, this solution is open sourced which has its benefits over Cisco.

The installation is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to purchase a monitoring solution with simple and easy-to-use features, go with this solution. It is a good option, especially for medium businesses.

I rate PRTG Network Monitor a seven out of ten.

Ahmed Nagm
IT Solution Consultant at PCS
Reseller
Effective network troubleshooting, simple installation, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

RTG Network Monitor is used for monitoring many parts of our network, such as IP telephone system, internet traffic, firewall, and network utilization. Additionally, it can monitor server information, for example, CPU and memory usage.

What is most valuable?

I found PRTG Network Monitor very useful for troubleshooting and monitoring the utilization of either the network or server.

What needs improvement?

PRTG Network Monitor could improve by having a feature to allow uploading of preset standard network switch configurations and the ability to monitor the SLA configuration, such as uptime for the switches or internet connectivity. This would be very useful.

I have been using PRTG Network Monitor for…

What needs improvement?

I have been using PRTG Network Monitor for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

PRTG Network Monitor is scalable, I can add more network components if I was to need them.

This solution is best fitted for small to medium-sized businesses.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

The initial installation was easy and it took approximately two weeks to cover all the network components.

I can do the implementation of the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PRTG Network Monitor an eight out of ten.

Moustafa Habashy
Network Department MAnager at Engineering Consultants Group S.A.
Provides stable and reliable network monitoring
  • "It gives me a live view of the traffic on the WAN."
  • "It would be nice if it gave us alerts via Gmail or SMS message."

What is our primary use case?

Within our organization, only the network department uses this solution — there are eight of us.

What is most valuable?

It gives me a live view of the traffic on the WAN. It produces reports on errors and faulty devices. It also produces a lot of logs on what is afoot. I can produce many reports using it.

What needs improvement?

It needs to have more monitoring on end-user devices. We can monitor a set of network devices, but not end-users' devices.

It would be nice if it gave us alerts via Gmail or SMS message.

I have been using this solution for five years.

PRTG Network Monitor is both scalable and stable.

The technical support is excellent.

The initial setup is very straightforward — it's just a simple cover server.

We are currently evaluating many other security solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it's great for monitoring network traffic and producing reports.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Download our free PRTG Network Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.