IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Director - Analytics and Data at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Offers and easy setup and is stable and scalable
  • "The product is very stable."
  • "It would be great if you could integrate outside of Microsoft environments."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to not only automate processes but also to be an intermediary or a glue among the applications of Azure in the Microsoft universe.

What is most valuable?

The Outlook on the SQL server has been extremely valuable for us.

The solution is scalable.

The product is very stable.

For the most part, the initial setup is quick.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with the desktop application, and on-premise server as well as the SQL database. That would be really nice.

It would be great if you could integrate outside of Microsoft environments.

The initial setup can be a bit tricky if it is a complex environment.

The product needs a clear integration between the UI recorder and the steps that you do and the codes and the qualification that you do on the RPA there.

I've used the solution for about three years. I used it even before it was called Power Automate. It's been a while at this point.

I have very high regard for the stability of this product. There are no surprises. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable in terms of performance.

The scalability is good. Basically, I deploy it on one desktop, on a system that consists of only one single desktop computer, and then deploy it on a server. That handles a lot of systems and processes at the same time, without any problem, and without having to invest in any additional resource or any additional time.

Typically our clients are medium to large organizations.

We don't really deal with technical support. We mostly provide documentation to the client and they can deal with technical support if they need to.

However, we barely have any problems as the solution is very intuitive.

I didn't find the initial setup exactly complex. It was more of a common characteristic of Microsoft products. It is easy to learn. As you learn the complexity of the requirements, there seems to be a little bit uphill to climb.

The length of time it takes to deploy the solution varies. It mostly depends on the complexity of the requirements. If you have a simple implementation that's a matter of no more than one or two days. On the other hand, if you have a complex implementation, you have to invest about two weeks to two and a half weeks to have everything on production.

In terms of the number of people you need for the process, that varies too. For just a simple solution, you could have one solo person that is in charge of the consulting and the implementation of the solution. If you have a complex problem, you have to have a person that is the consultant, a person that is building the solution, and then a person that is making the implementation, and a person who is providing maintenance. You can have a team of about four people if there is a complex deployment.

We are an implementor and consultant. We assist clients in setting up the solution in their organizations.

We did not first evaluate any other options before choosing Microsoft's product.

The main competitors would be UiPath or Automation ANywhere, for the most part. The main difference is likely the pricing. There are other differences as well.

If you want to Automation Anywhere, there's not exactly a good availability for a medium-sized business. For example, Automation Anywhere has something called Community Edition, but it is a bit too small. It's better for smaller organizations. Then, from that, they make a big quantum jump to the Enterprise Edition. That is a little bit expensive. There's no middle ground.

The same thing happened for example, with Blue Prism. It's a little bit expensive.

UiPath is a little bit more spacious than Power Automate. I still trust that Power Automate is going to close the gap. It works with WinAutomation and as soon as they get all the features and all these technical aspects of the hardware, it is going to create a stronger Power Automate. Soon Power Automate will be able to reach all business segments, and, at that point, it will be very powerful.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution it is. It's in the cloud and therefore constantly updated.

I'm a consultant.

I would advise, in general, around any tool, just be clear with the requirements. No matter what sophisticated tool you were using, if you're not clear about data, then the software is not going to work.

I have customers where we have to make a data governance program or project first before we implement it. You have to be clear with all your data, with all the possible information that's part of your data path. Be clear about how efficient your processes are before you enter into an RPA or process automation project. This is the main thing.

As for the product itself, it is easy to use. You're not going to have any surprises.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been happy with the product overall.

management leader at International SOS
A modern, fast solution that integrates with almost everything and comes at a great price
  • "Overall, it is a great service at the given price. It is very modern, and it integrates in a great way with pretty much anything. It is also fast."
  • "They can provide a deeper level of feedback about running processes. When I compare it to Blue Prism, the control room has slightly less information about the running processes and possible errors. I'm not a pro, so I am not entirely sure if this is a core feature of the product or if it is because of the way our partners have developed it or set it up."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for processing a stream of incoming invoices.

It is a cloud solution, but you install the client on your computer, so it is a hybrid deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

I can compare it with the same process on Blue Prism. With Power Automate, we've been able to double the speed. It is more user-friendly. It is faster. It is ten times cheaper. There are quite a few things about it.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is a great service at the given price. It is very modern, and it integrates in a great way with pretty much anything. It is also fast.

What needs improvement?

They can provide a deeper level of feedback about running processes. When I compare it to Blue Prism, the control room has slightly less information about the running processes and possible errors. I'm not a pro, so I am not entirely sure if this is a core feature of the product or if it is because of the way our partners have developed it or set it up.

The stability of the UI section in terms of being able to read the visual elements is either at the same level as Blue Prism or better than Blue Prism.

I don't have experience with scalability, but I don't see any roadblocks for scalability.

We've got plans to increase its usage, but it is about the decision-makers in our company having a good resource strategy. I'm not the main decision-maker, so I don't really know about the plans, but we would definitely want to increase the utilization. It is just a question of how to do it correctly.

We are in touch with a local partner who was a former partner of the Soft MultiTech company that originally developed the tool, which was acquired by Microsoft. They are very responsive. They help us quickly and efficiently with anything we need. We are quite happy with them.

It depends on your technical background. People who've got coding experience don't need to do anything. They can take it and work with it straight away. They don't need any partner or anyone else. They can just develop, but that's not the case for business users.

Business users apparently need time to adapt and build the knowledge, which is probably the case with any platform, because the background rules need to be followed. In terms of its user-friendliness, it is drag-and-drop from predefined actions. If you know what to do and follow the rules and if you are able to build a strong process, then the product will probably give you everything you need to do that quickly and efficiently.

Its speed of adoption seems faster as compared to Blue Prism. The development and testing take the same amount of time on any platform, but it seems faster in terms of adoption than Blue Prism.

The number of people required for its maintenance depends on the process. It depends on the processes that you automate.

It is quite fresh, but its return on investment would be much better than Blue Prism. The Blue Prism license was somewhere around $10,000 a year, and we're now on $40 a month, which is incomparable, but we're getting the same service.

It is in fact a better product. So, even if you've got some other costs, such as you need some external coding at the beginning, you will get an ROI. We were positive about our return on investment with Blue Prism, and we would be doing much better than that with Power Automate, but I can't give exact numbers. I don't have them.

We've got a subscription package. We are on a monthly package of $40. We've got some discount because we're a big corporate client of Microsoft 365 and other solutions, but the standard price of the package that we use is $40.

For the product, you don't have to pay anything extra. If you're using a partner, you need to pay for their coding, advice, and services, which is a separate cost. The majority of the features are available for free for anyone who is on Microsoft 365.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest others to go for it. It is definitely a great solution, specifically at the given price. It is really hard for companies that are starting with RPA to justify the costs of some of the competing products, which could be 20, 30, or more times more expensive than Power Automate.

Even at a corporate level, it would be tough to get to a stage where you would find the product having some inefficiencies or some gaps as compared to its competitors. I don't have an experience where we are utilizing the orchestrator, have unattended bots, or are coordinating 20 or more bots, but according to our partners, it is working in such environments. It is about how you actually utilize the product, how well organized you are, how good are your processes, how you are able to build them in the product, rather than the super hard limitations within the product.

I don't really have a full experience with it, but from what I see and what I've learned, I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Microsoft Power Automate
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
597,415 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Data & Analytics at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable with great templates and a familiar look and feel
  • "There is an exhaustive amount of templates that users have access to."
  • "The solution is still maturing, and it's going to take time for that to happen."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation purposes. It can offer an alternative desktop option, and therefore it can automate a lot of stuff. It's part of the application. It also can connect us to a number of data sources and that helps us a lot. However, it's difficult to get into specifics due to client privacy.

What is most valuable?

It's a very stable product. We find it to be quite reliable.

The solution is very easy to use. There's a bit of familiarity with the product due to the interface they have. We use other Microsoft Office products, for example, and it has a similar look and feel that's recognizable if you are familiar with the Microsoft Suite.

The look and feel and user interface make training new users a fairly easy process.

The solution offers a variety of very good features.

There is an exhaustive amount of templates that users have access to.

What needs improvement?

You do need to either get a bit of IT support or do a bit of coding in order to implement the solution successfully.

Something lacking is Microsoft Office plugin, however, it's my understanding that their Office plugin is out now or coming soon. We're just trying to understand the use case.

If they can make it integrated into Microsoft's Office Suite, that would be great. It would be better than lining it up with the Office plugin application. I'm sure it exists in some form, however, maybe not for the mainstream things.

The solution is still maturing very quickly and it's going to take no time for this to be Enterprise RPA.

I've used the solution for the last year and a half or so.

The solution is stable. There aren't really any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

The solution is very scalable. As a cloud product, it makes it very easy for users to expand if they need to. When a company needs to scale, they can do so, no problem.

We do plan to continue to use this solution, and we'll continue to use other Microsoft solutions as well.

We end up using a lot of community resources. Microsoft has a huge community, and it's really helpful in terms of finding answers and asking questions.

I've used the previous generation of this technology, such as Logic Apps and other products of that nature.

We didn't use any other products really. We had some in-house and also some VBA Macros, PowerShell scripts and others which we had created. However, this was the first proper solution we've invested in.

The initial setup is pretty straight forward. It's not overly complex. You do need a bit of IT support, however, you could put it in and save it and other people can use it and probably tweak it quite easily.

While there is a bit of coding needed, once you have everything set up, there are lots of templates that make the implementation of different processes very easy.

The deployment is quick. There's just a bit of needed configuration with the cloud. We didn't activate all of the features; we only activated what was required. I can't recall the exact amount of time it took to do this.

It is fast to implement, does not depend on the changes to existing systems to implement. It save hours that a team spend on performing the process manually. Mostly importantly it is easy to training business users since users are very much familiar microsoft and windows interface (UI).

The licensing set up depends on your organization. If it's an enterprise, it's based on their user department and how do you want the solution to be distributed.

Many companies already have Microsoft Office licenses, for example, and this is part of that.

It's not too expensive as a license. At least, that's my understanding.

In comparison, an RPA tool with Outreach costs $5,000. You can use it, however, it's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

We are a consulting organization, and we do help clients.

We've helped large organizations. We don't have just one use case for this product. We have many.

You can't build an application with this solution. This is more for automating within a department or in an area, for example, a finance area, where they have all sources lined up and it takes almost three or four days for an accountant to go through the data to create templates and updating templates, etc. Those kinds of things. This solution makes the processes happen faster.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate the product at an eight out of ten. There's a bit more maturity that needs to happen, however, all of the elements are there to make for a great product.

LuisNavarrete - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Alfapeople A/S
Easy to use and intuitive with good flow features
  • "It's an intuitive product. It's not overly technical."
  • "The issue lies more in how you learn the solution. The information is very generalized. It could be extremely useful to have more specific information about how to use various features within the platform."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for automation. I also use it for invoicing.

How has it helped my organization?

To automatically register some data has saved me a lot of time. In the past, I would look in an Excel sheet every day at 8:00 am and I would have to download a spreadsheet and match some values with another spreadsheet. That kind of task took me almost three hours. Now in almost three minutes or two minutes, it's done.

I also find that it's helped with invoicing in relation to taxes. I can download the invoice, and match it with my ERP system and they match the values with the invoice and the system. If it matches, it gets saved in a spreadsheet with many invoices. I could have 10, 20, or even 30 invoices a day or 100 invoices a week. With this solution, I don't need a person to review that. The robot handles that task.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable feature that Power Platform has is the integration with Power BI and the AI Builder, in the firts one, you ca create visualizations and show indicators of revenue, execution, progress, ranges, of whats going on in the solutions, in the second one, you can create an intelligent model to show projections in a matter of minutes, it's so ieasy o create a robot in these software

What needs improvement?

The issue lies more in how you learn the solution. The information is very generalized. It could be extremely useful to have more specific information about how to use various features within the platform. The solution has a lot of moving parts and aspects that need to be understood. Making the training process easier would help people onboard faster.

The desktop interface is a little rough to manage. You can't view the bottoms or the menu or the characteristics of what you need to use. It's very unclear in the desktop application. That said, the cloud application it's more useful. It's much neater and more organized.

Their AI builder has improved, however, it could be interesting to look into how to build a project that can make projections about a task or a process. If that feature could be more user-friendly, that would be ideal. Right now, it's not very clear how to use it. Maybe a person that has more knowledge wouldn't be as confused. I'm not like a developer. I'd need it simplified for me.

I've been using the solution for about a year to a year and a half so far. It hasn't been an extended period of time.

I haven't experienced any issues with the stability of the solution. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't seem to crash or freeze. It's been good so far.

The product can integrate with other solutions, and therefore it can work with high workloads or low workloads. It's very scalable.

We have anywhere from 100 to 500 users.

The technical support of Microsoft has been good. It's not often that we call into Microsoft directly, however, at least, not so much for this particular solution.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward. We found the process to be very easy.

The deployment is very fast. It only takes a minute or two.

It's a subscription. Therefore, you only need to log in and make a project, and if you already know how data deploys it's within minutes that you can start.

The solution is subscription-based.

I have evaluated Automation Anywhere, among other solutions. There are many, however, I'm more comfortable with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

I have used Flows and it's very easy to use it, however, not in advanced terms.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It's my understanding that it is the latest, however, I don't know the exact version number.

I'd warn new users that they have to know about the concept of RPA. It's very difficult to get on board with this kind of solution if you don't know about RPA. You have to make everything step-by-step. You have to know how to make a diagram flow. You need to understand what comes first and what's in the middle, and what's next. In order to successfully dive into using the solution, a user must be familiar with these kinds of concepts and labels.

If you don't know about the process or haven't read about BPM, it could make it very difficult to implement RPA. I suggest new users if they aren't familiar, read a little about RPA in the beginning and then learn about the processes.

It's a good product. I would rate it nine out of ten.

Scott Weiler - PeerSpot reviewer
VP at Speridian Technologies
An easy initial setup but lacks maturity and isn't very robust
  • "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "The solution lacks maturity."

What is our primary use case?

We have clients in a number of different industries. We were evaluating Power Automate for a hospital in Kansas City. We were looking at a couple of different use cases with regards to their vendor onboarding and some of the back-office processes.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The entire product is pretty easy to pick up and learn. We've got some developers and some software engineers that have picked it up. We have RPA specialists that are are deep specialists in UiPath, and they picked up Power Automate relatively quickly. We have guys that are trained in multiple platforms such as Automation Anywhere or Blue Prism and they got it right away.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks maturity. That will come with time.

The complementary suite of capabilities with regards to task capture and being able to self-document a process needs improvement. The whole document handling aspect, OCR recognition and capabilities, need to incorporate some more of an AI type of approach with document extraction and document handling.

Being able to handle various types of forms and complex documents is important. Obviously, we handle a lot of documents like invoices that could have multiple formats and multiple pages of content, and very complex material contracts. That area is where it shows that UiPath has come a long way and Microsoft has a ways to go.

If I look at the suite of tools that UiPath has, it's very robust and extensive. There are complimentary tools that help determine the applicability of a process. Being able to have tools that help assess things like a business case, savings, applicability, etc., relatively quickly, which we see with UiPath, for example, is integral to a good product.

I've been using the solution for less than a year.

A criticism of Microsoft is that they typically bundle everything together, like with the Office 365 or Dynamics 365 or whatever the package of all the different options are. You get it whether you want it or not. The problem with that is, the content that you're giving away in the bundle is either not fully baked, or fully thought out or all that valuable. Some might be buggy or not do exactly what they are supposed to.

Clients are frustrated that they're getting stuff that they don't want. They'll ask us "why am I getting all these other packages as part of my bundle, that don't make sense?". I would rather see a really innovative and leading tool, rather than a whole bunch of tools that do lots of things.

We haven't really reached out to technical support. We haven't really gone into production. Most of the issues, anything that we've had to do technically, we've figured out.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Our team picked it up really quickly. The question is if it's really solving the trickier problems on not. The more complex problems, is where the value is going to be. Process automation is becoming a commodity. Therefore, the differentiation is in really being able to handle the more complex problems, especially at an enterprise level.

We're able to handle implementations ourselves. We're a reseller and gold partner with Microsoft.

I'm unsure as to what the licensing costs are. It's not something that I generally deal with.

We're a vendor, therefore, we tend to use various solutions according to our client's needs. We've evaluated UiPath against Power Automate, for example.

We have evaluated Power Automate and we're trying to get some competency there. I don't believe it's to the same level as where you have the maturity as UiPath.

We've also looked at Blue Prism and found their capabilities quite mature.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

We would typically evaluate the solution as an on-Cloud deployment. However, we would use either cloud or on-premises deployment models, depending on the situation. It's not implemented in our organization. We're a vendor or a partner. We provide services to implement it.

I'd advise other organizations that if you are looking for industrial strength, I don't think this solution is quite it. However, if you're poking around and are going to use it lightly, it might be a way to venture into process automation. It would allow you to try it out without a big commitment. If there are companies that are serious about it, it's probably not the right option. It's not ready yet. Microsoft is maybe trying other ways to build out the capabilities, through acquisition avenues. Therefore, I'm not sure if that's the platform to get. There will be too many growing pains.

Overall, I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

Samuel Kamau - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Founder at Beta Edge Technology Limited
Integrates well with Microsoft products, includes pre-build templates that are easy to use, and the support is good
  • "The most valuable feature is that it easily integrates with other Microsoft products, so it has multiple connectors. You can create solutions that connect to Teams, Outlook, SharePoint, and OneDrive."
  • "There are some bugs or intermittent behavior in the Excel activities that require using workarounds."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution provider and I implement RPA products and automate processes for my clients.

With this product, you create your workflows on the cloud. We've used this product for integrating with Microsoft solutions. For example, one of them is a document approval solution, where documents are sent to SharePoint and then pushed to different users within Active Directory for approval. This is done according to rules set by the client.

There is also a COVID application that was built around Power Automate and the Power Platform, where users within the organization can raise a request for a test and this would be pushed to managers for approval.

We are also looking at financial processes around bank reconciliations and interbank transfers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it easily integrates with other Microsoft products, so it has multiple connectors. You can create solutions that connect to Teams, Outlook, SharePoint, and OneDrive.

There are templates available for you to create your own flow, and it is easy to start creating a flow and automating a solution.

What needs improvement?

There are some bugs or intermittent behavior in the Excel activities that require using workarounds. For example, there is an Excel activity called Collect that fails once in a while. When you want to choose or select a particular cell, once in a while, it fails to do so. It doesn't happen all of the time and I don't know if it's a bug, but it's something that they can look into.

I have been working with Microsoft Power Automate for approximately one year.

This is a very stable product.

The scalability is amazing. This is a cloud-based resource, and there is no limitation in terms of scale or size. You can easily increase the scope of processes being handled.

The COVID use case is available for all of the employees, which is approximately 2,500. The documentation approval use case is used by managers and people making requests, which is approximately 2,000 people. The use case involving financial reconciliation is only for a small team that consists of about five people.

The technical support is good. They are available and you can just call them. We have Microsoft Office online support, as well. This means that you can call them, or instead go to the forum and search for activities and resources. They have a lot of resources available online.

There are good tooltips available within the product itself. You can look at something and the tooltip will explain how it works and what you should do.

Overall, the support resources are good and I would rate the technical support a nine out of ten.

I also work with UiPath and WorkFusion.

The initial setup is straightforward. Power Automate is a cloud-based tool, although I downloaded the Studio to my local machine.

The deployment takes one day. You just switch environments from UAT to production. You can easily export your solution and import it into the production environment.

We were working with another company to implement the solution but we completed the implementation and deployment ourselves.

The licensing model is flexible in that you can pay per automation or per user. My client receives a discount because of the large number of users and pays approximately $15 for each one.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees unless other resources are being used. For example, Office resources are available on Azure, but that is a different product. It is related to Azure, rather than Power Automate.

Our client chose this solution. They already had Microsoft enterprise licenses, and they felt it was better to use a Microsoft product for their automation solution.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and I like it. It's very scalable and easy to do so. Also, there are many connectors and they are quite useful. This is a product that I recommend.

My advice for anybody who is implementing Power Automate is to be cautious about how they distribute their flows, just to manage the licensing cost. Because it is cloud-based, it is an easy-to-use tool for both small and enterprise-wide solutions. There are no complications when integrating with Active Directory or the cloud platform, and this is good, in particular, because everybody is moving to the cloud. This product makes it easy to integrate things that people are already working with, such as Teams and Outlook.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Director, Product Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A powerful, scalable, and user-friendly solution with good templates and simple flow
  • "Its usability is very valuable because it has a quite simple flow. It is very user-friendly. It provides you templates. I started learning with the help of Teams templates, and then I started providing them. It is always good to start with a template so that you understand how it works. Its branches are quite user-friendly. You can put expressions in it. It allows you to link and test the flow so that you can check whether everything is running properly. From a business standpoint, Power Automate is quite good for a non-tech person. It is not like Java, HTML, or C++, which are very developer-driven. Power Automate is a more business-oriented kind of tool."
  • "They can build more templates and more connectivity with other platforms. They can provide a more user-friendly way to connect with other platforms. They have their own in-built plugins for certain third-party vendors, but there are still a lot of third-party vendors that are not there."

What is our primary use case?

Power Automate is a quite powerful tool. It helps you automate your daily processes. Being an RPA tool, it allows you to define certain logic and execute certain tasks at a scheduled time or for a certain event. I use it in conjunction with our SharePoint site to let our stakeholders know that something has been done or updated, and it kicks off another flow. We use it quite regularly.

What is most valuable?

Its usability is very valuable because it has a quite simple flow. It is very user-friendly. It provides you templates. I started learning with the help of Teams templates, and then I started providing them. It is always good to start with a template so that you understand how it works.

Its branches are quite user-friendly. You can put expressions in it. It allows you to link and test the flow so that you can check whether everything is running properly. From a business standpoint, Power Automate is quite good for a non-tech person. It is not like Java, HTML, or C++, which are very developer-driven. Power Automate is a more business-oriented kind of tool.

What needs improvement?

They can build more templates and more connectivity with other platforms. They can provide a more user-friendly way to connect with other platforms. They have their own in-built plugins for certain third-party vendors, but there are still a lot of third-party vendors that are not there.

I have been using this solution for over a year.

It is a stable product.

It is definitely scalable. If you want to integrate Power Automate with third-party software and other platforms, a technical person is needed. If you just want to connect Power Automate with Microsoft's suite of services, you can easily do it. They also have their own in-built plugins for certain third-party vendors. More and more plugins will come in the future because more and more people want to connect to Power Automate. I can already see Trello and Jira creating the plugins. There are still a lot of third-party vendors that are not there on it, but we can basically go ahead and create our own if needed.

Power Automate is a connectivity tool, so it has the ability to connect to other platforms. If they're able to do that, other platforms start making more money because I can get a flow that directly connects to another vendor and helps me achieve what I want to do, rather than having a tech person give me estimates and getting that done, which takes a longer time.

In terms of the number of users, we are a big organization with around 15,000 people globally. I don't know how many people use it, but the awareness is coming slowly within the organization and more and more people are becoming aware. I will continue using this solution.

I haven't actually reached out to technical support, which speaks for the usability of it. It is quite user-friendly, so I didn't really have to reach out to technical support.

I did attend a one-day workshop for Power Apps, which was great. For Power Automate, we actually have regular IT sessions. Our IT team has set up regular training sessions for learning different services from Microsoft, and one of them was Power Automate. That's where we got the awareness of Power Automate. That was a year and a half ago, and that was when we basically said, "Oh, wow, this is great!" At that time, it was called Flow. Now, it is called Automate.

We have it on our system. I don't really know if we need a separate license.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend Power Automate to anyone who is quite keen on RPAs and wants to automate certain processes from a business standpoint.

Microsoft is doing really well in this space. There are very few RPA tools, and Microsoft has been successful in penetrating the market. There are very few of them who are on every single PC. Any business, bank, or enterprise that has Microsoft on their PCs and has subscribed to this at an enterprise level are given Power Automate. The market penetration of Power Automate is really good. As more and more users start using it, they will obviously come up with issues. I definitely found a few challenges, but nothing with which Google Search couldn't help. More and more people are using Power Automate, and I can easily find answers on the web. It is already great, and it is going to go quite well if Microsoft goes ahead and starts building more of these tools.

I would rate Power Automate a nine out of ten. It is a great product.

Private Cloud
MIkeHunt - PeerSpot reviewer
Training Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
It works perfectly and lets me do everything very quickly
  • "Its integration with SharePoint and Outlook is the most valuable. I found it very easy to use. I could do everything that I wanted very quickly, and I didn't have any complications at all. I never had a problem in using Microsoft Power Automate."
  • "If someone was just about to start using it, it would be better if it was a bit more user-friendly in terms of understanding function references. I come from a bit of development background. To me, it all makes quite a lot of sense, but someone using it for the first time would probably battle understanding how the functions work. This might be something they could improve on. It would be really useful if it could publish data to Power BI. We like to use Power BI for our reporting, but we can't directly integrate the data across. If there was a way to automate the collection of the data and push it straight into the Power BI platform, it would be quite useful."

What is our primary use case?

We use SharePoint to collect information from tests, exams, and similar things that we do in our office. When people complete the tests, we use Microsoft Power Automate to collect the results and email them to appropriate people. We are currently using the latest version of Microsoft Power Automate.

What is most valuable?

Its integration with SharePoint and Outlook is the most valuable.

I found it very easy to use. I could do everything that I wanted very quickly, and I didn't have any complications at all. I never had a problem in using Microsoft Power Automate.

What needs improvement?

If someone was just about to start using it, it would be better if it was a bit more user-friendly in terms of understanding function references. I come from a bit of development background. To me, it all makes quite a lot of sense, but someone using it for the first time would probably battle understanding how the functions work. This might be something they could improve on.

It would be really useful if it could publish data to Power BI. We like to use Power BI for our reporting, but we can't directly integrate the data across. If there was a way to automate the collection of the data and push it straight into the Power BI platform, it would be quite useful.

I have been using Microsoft Power Automate for about three months.

It seems to be very stable. It has been running now for about three months, and it regularly gets used, probably about 30 times per day. I haven't had a single missed event. I have received all the emails, and everything works great. Today, funnily enough, I have started building a new solution for something similar. So, I went back and actually checked the records for the last three weeks, and everything was perfect. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

I am sure that it is going to be perfectly fine for what we need. We are looking at about 30 people using it in one day over the last three months, which is not a very high volume. We are not going to do more than probably a maximum of 50 users a day.

I did not have any need to contact them.

Previous to this, I used Microsoft Flow, and before that, I used the SharePoint workflow. We switched from Microsoft Flow because Microsoft actually changed their product and went from one to the next. It used to be Microsoft Flow, and then they revamped it and re-introduced it with a new name. I just carried on basically using the same platform. It is better than what they used to have. That's for sure, but I'm still effectively using the same product. They had advertised through emails and other mediums that they have switched to a new product, and it has been rebranded. I thought I'm going to try it, and I just found it very friendly and easy to use. So, I just stuck with it.

It is integrated completely with our Office 365, so I didn't have to set up anything. Everything just works automatically. The security works from the first time. When I logged in, it straight away identified me. I could immediately get a list of all the people to whom I needed to send the stuff. It connected straight away to the SharePoint. I didn't have any problems at all.

The original product was set up by the consultant firm that looks after our IT. We don't do it on our own. They set up everything and configure it. All I had to do was just log in and make sure everything works the way I wanted it to do.

I don't deal with the financial side. I know that we pay for a per-user license. It is probably less than $20 a user, but I am not sure about the exact figures.

What other advice do I have?

To use this solution, you need to maybe brush up a little bit on how to use the function references that are available in Microsoft Power Automate. The code that you use for the functions is a little bit different from what you would use if you were using Excel or anything like that. So, you just need to brush up on how the functions work. Once you understand them, it is pretty simple.

I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a ten out of ten. Everything has been perfectly fine. I am a happy user.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Power Automate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022