Peter Bohn - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Service Manager - Productivity and Identity at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
RPA is really great; license cost could be better
  • "We have talked to Microsoft. We're a large company and we're talking to Microsoft on a regular basis. We have a partner we talk to when it comes to Automate. We are absolutely satisfied with technical support."
  • "When we scale up, we switch to another application."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are everything from replacing Excel macros to replacing WINAutomate to larger initiatives to use RPAbox to fill in different back-office systems and so on. We have a huge range of solutions.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, the RPA is really great.

What needs improvement?

The license cost could be better.

The PMU connectors we can use cost extra, and the RPA also costs extra. So hopefully they can let go of that way of working and allow us to use the entire tool in a better way. That's what we're looking for.

I've been using the solution for approximately three years.

Microsoft Power Automate
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is great. I know we don't have a problem with stability in this case.

To implement the solution or share the solution with others, you can scale it up; but we don't scale in that perspective when it comes to add more functionality. We have other solutions when it comes to larger initiatives. Microsoft platform is used for something happens over here, do this. Or we are using Box, but when it comes to larger initiative, we're using Nintex. It's longer processes and longer workflows. It's easier to use. So when we scale up, we switch to another application actually.

The initial setup was quite simple, actually.

We implemented both with help from the vendor and within the company. Some using our own expectation in Office, but we have some vendors we had contact with.

We need to keep track that we are compliant regarding the license, but other than that, it's quite easy to maintain and govern. We have approximately 50 users in different countries in Europe.

Microsoft is connected very well with Microsoft products. Everything in the master suite is really easy to connect to, and the Blue Prism is for large initiatives. What I heard from the developers using Blue Prism is it's easier to overview quite complex scenarios actually. Power Automate is a little harder to have the overlook of what you have done in the script.

I'd rate the solution a seven out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

Start using the solution at a small scale, and create some smaller script of your own. Then you can see what can be done and easily grow with a task and try features for the department you're working in to share with your colleagues. You'll have an understanding of how to automate, and you can see the business from the other's perspective. That's what we have done. Start small and go big.

Microsoft Azure
Mapkar Mohtasim - PeerSpot reviewer
Design Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with lots of libraries and connectors to browse from
  • "You can create a flow, and it can be shared across different environments."
  • "The solution is difficult to customize. I would like to see more flexibility when it comes to using different kinds of activities."

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Power Automate as part of my job as an RPA developer. The solution is part of everyone's Office 365 account at our organization.

The solution is used as a primary tool for providing RPA solutions. We've created an automated desktop flow for the whole process. It includes three platforms.

We use the solution as an extension of Power Apps. We create files and SharePoint using flow by converting HTML code into PDF.

How has it helped my organization?

The authentication provided by Microsoft is very robust.

We have automated a process for our HR team that handles a lot of immigration-related activities. Rather than this individual having to ask others for information, we created a solution running different flows that centralized the whole system.

Another impactful project was where we used power apps to create office visitation. This solution helped manage the allowable workforce limitation placed by the government during the pandemic. We created an application where users submitted a request which prompted the validation of vaccinations and determine parking availability and sitting capacity. The headcount is provided to the departments that are impacted, such as the canteen, or bus monitors.

By creating in-house solutions, we had a high impact on the organization. Using an out-of-the-box solution would have been very expensive.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Power Automate is easy to use. There are lots of libraries and connectors to browse from.

The users are very happy with the processes that we have automated completely end to end.

What needs improvement?

The solution is difficult to customize. I would like to see more flexibility when it comes to using different kinds of activities, particularly the kind of interaction they can have with Excel. This is also limited to the number of activities, making extension not possible.

Other areas of improvement include Microsoft Power Automate's ability to work on power desktops. It would be helpful if we could access external activities.

I have been using Microsoft Power Automate for one year.

The solution is scalable. You can create a flow, and it can be shared across different environments.

Technical support could improve. I am not sure that they exist. I would like to be provided with more awareness regarding the tech support that is available from the platform.

There is ample documentation available for the solution and all the different components.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Prior to adding Microsoft Power Automate, we used UI robotic process automation. We now use both solutions in parallel. Power Automate is used for office-related apps and UI is used for all other platforms.

Microsoft Power Automate is part of our Office 365 package, there are no additional licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend other large-scale enterprises to look into Microsoft Power Automate as a solution for their organization.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Power Automate
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Digital Innovation Manager at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Low-code, easy to use with simple use cases, but should be a centrally-governed system
  • "The most valuable features are that it is low-code and simple."
  • "It doesn't have any OCR capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Power Automate for various personal initiatives of people to automate their own work.

It is used in a laboratory environment to connect the laboratory systems and to automate the connections between them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is low-code and simple.

What needs improvement?

For simple use cases, it is easy to use but as soon as it becomes complex then it doesn't fulfill the requirements.

It doesn't have any OCR capabilities. It doesn't really work with our ERP system, where we can log into the ERP system and have a robot updating it directly.

Microsoft is early on in this game and not really very far yet. They just need to mature their solutions.

In the next release, I would like to see a centrally-governed system, where you can access fully automated processes. This would include the ability to connect to other systems and log into them.

I would like to see it as a centrally managed solution.

I have been using Microsoft Power Automate for six months.

We are using a local partner of Microsoft in the Netherlands, and it's going quite well.

At the moment, we're using both Microsoft Power Automate and Microsoft Power Apps. We also use Kofax.

If you are using it as a user, I'm not aware of how complex it is for setting up central governance on it. But with proper RPA, you very much need the central-governance to ensure that things are conforming to standards.

As soon as it starts being involved in business-critical use, then governance is very important.

I haven't seen that the central governing of it to be easy.

We use a local partner to help with the implementation and it's going quite well.

I am not aware of the pricing, but the problem is something we run into often. As soon as you want to use a data service, all of a sudden the license cost goes up.

It's more fragmented licensing, where every little thing that you add, you get an extra license cost.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is gradually becoming better, but for RPA, it's not fully there yet.

If you are looking for a low-code, simple to deal with email and extract a spreadsheet, then Microsoft is a good option. However, if you have a complex RPA use case where optical character recognition or PDF ingestion is needed then Kofax is a better choice.

I'm responsible for the center of excellence running Kofax as an RPA solution, and not for the Microsoft Power Apps.

I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Department Manager at SME Digital Transformation Department at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Good tech support
  • "So far, the tech support has provided me with good enough support and knowledge."
  • "How long it takes to deploy will depend on how confident you are with your development. The development itself is not easy."

What is our primary use case?

Repetitive interactions between legacy systems and Excel managed by human resource. By collecting small tasks, there would be tons of time/effort we can replace with RPA. However, my challenge was major RPA solutions are not so much cheap to be applied to these small tasks. I believe Power Automate would be sufficient and cheap enough as Microsoft announced it will be free for Win 10 users (with basic functionalities).

How has it helped my organization?

It is still a persona trial phase so not much change has been brought. However, I have convinced Power Automate Desktop can be enough for many use cases where much investments are difficult.

What is most valuable?

Interaction with Microsoft Excel is good and will be more better in the future.

What needs improvement?

More detailed explanatory manuals are desired. As new features are introduced every month, I would like to know what is new and what is changed recently.

I have been using this solution for a couple of months.

I'm not sure whether the desktop version is stable. It is relatively new. It was launched in May. I haven't really tried it. But the trial version I'm using has been stable so far.

I haven't tried to scale it, so I'm not quite sure.

Power Automate has two versions. The initial setup of the trial version is really easy. All you have to do is just activate the environment and you can start working on it. However, for desktop version, you need to install the software. It should be as easy to download and install as the Office 365 environment.

I live in Japan and there are not very many consultants available for the latest Power Automate yet as Microsoft is investing quite a lot and new versions are released every month.

Should be high, as unattended RPA capabilities are available at almost free as I can utilize it under o365 license. No extra costs to start small and you can pay extra if you need premium services.

I would recommend Power Automate. Those will small use cases can use a free license.

We evaluated Blue Prism and Pega. However, Pega was a bit difficult to use for citizen developers. It requires some support from consultants or engineers, so it's a bit of an investment. They're small and if we introduced consultants or engineers, then it wouldn't pay off. So for that use-cases, yeah, users lost interest.

Private Cloud

Power Apps & Dynamics 365/CRM Team lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Connectors easily understood, good support, and well integrated
  • "The solution is easy to understand and to develop connectors."
  • "I had some experience in the past with the solution having some difficulties with large loads, it is already better but it could still be improved."

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to understand and to develop connectors. You can always extend your own connectors. The ability to go outside and develop your own APIs is a real benefit. Microsoft is heavily investing and developing new features. It is well integrated into the CRM, SharePoint, and other Microsoft platforms.

What needs improvement?

Another area that needs to be improved is when calculating the quotes of your API calls and flow steps, they are currently not available on the dashboards where you can follow. The API limits will be enforced at some point, at this point you should buy all the add-ons to extend them. This was promised by the end of last year, but it is still not added. Every community is waiting for when this is going to be inforced. It is important because it will contextually be a big step to understand the economics behind your flows and steps, etc., and how to do it more efficiently to save your API calls and steps. The question is, what is the real end cost of how much add-ons you will need to purchase.

In an upcoming release, it would be nice to see bigger integration of cloud and desktop flows.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

I have been dealing with Microsoft support for like 10 years or more now. Their support is similar to Office. It is Microsoft of course, I had experience with the premier support. The first level support agents will try and help but sometimes on the first levels, the knowledge shift is a bit lacking. You will sometime have to strain yourself explaining what you exactly want and then you will need to be transferred over to the higher level product team. When it comes to Power Automate, they have a dedicated team, which more or less understands the product.

What other advice do I have?

When making good architectural decisions it is best to understand what kind of scenarios you are solving, especially when it comes to the loads. Try to calculate what is the overall load that will be used, and all flows per day, per minutes, per hour, etc. It is important to do some testing.

Keep in mind the enforcement of API quotas, etc. It is important to start thinking about this and start calculating your flows, to get to the real cost for usage, excluding the initial license. It is critical to know how fast you consume your assigned API calls and when you have to buy extra. This is all in a way stored in the licensing documents, but it is not physically enforced, this is something to keep in mind.

I fully recommend this solution.

I rate Microsoft Power Automate an eight out of ten.

LuisNavarrete - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Alfapeople A/S
Stable, Scalable, easy to install and deploy, and good support
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are the automation interface and the RPA automation."
  • "The BPM component needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and sometimes we implement solutions.

It's a component of Microsoft 365.

We use this solution to match some documents or spreadsheets, to match data from one spreadsheet with another, and to download and load invoices.

We also use it for an approval flow.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The BPM component needs improvement.

Microsoft doesn't have certification training for Microsoft Power Automate, like other solutions such as UiPath, Kofax, and Automation Anywhere. All of these products have certification training available.

Power Automate is part of a suite called Power Platform.

Power Automate can integrate into a business intelligence component like Power BI, a flow component like Flow, and a bot component like Virtual Agents.

Power Automate can make that cross to these components for better results of all the data that the client wants to see, and wants to automate.

I have been working with this solution for almost two years.

It's very stable, it doesn't have any crashes.

The only issue is when we don't have an internet connection, it crashed because it's a cloud solution and not on-premises.

It has many connectors to other vendors or other components or other programs that make the solution scalable.

It is very easy to deploy with other vendors like Power Automate versus SAP. You can connect SAP with Power Automate very easily and extract information from the SAP environment.

It's a scalable solution.

Our clients are medium-sized companies. We have anywhere from 16 to 100 users.

Microsoft has the team to analyze every incident. In my experience, they have teams that can process incidents for my clients.

I am satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup was easy and it took a week or two weeks to deploy.

We have a team of two or three people to deploy and maintain this solution.

Our clients also evaluated UiPath and Automation Anywhere.

UiPath and Automation Anywhere are leaders in Gartner Magic Quadrant. Microsoft is the challenger.

Our clients are aware of these evaluations.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, but first, they should evaluate it. Do a PoC of the tool and evaluate the business purpose. Review the results before making the purchase.

In the beginning, Power Automate was called Flow, and it was very basic to easy to manage. During the last year, there have been many improvements from Microsoft that have taken it to the next level and can compete with UiPath and Automation Anywhere.

I would rate Microsoft Power Automate an eight out of ten.

Carlos Vizcaya - PeerSpot reviewer
Digital Manager (CDO/CIO) at AD Retail
Easy to set up and good for backend processes but is still an immature product
  • "The initial setup isn't too difficult."
  • "We need a more powerful desktop option."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for credit card operation customer complaints.

What is most valuable?

The solution is great for some of our backend processes, for example, accounting and financial processes, and also for IT batch processes.

The solution is very easy to set up.

The initial setup isn't too difficult.

What needs improvement?

I heard from my team that it's quite immature. If you compare it against Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism, it seems there is less experience in the product. The desktop version of the on-premise solution seems as if it's not as mature as Automation Anywhere.

We need a more powerful desktop option.

We started using the product this year. We've used it for about four months at this point. We're using it for three processes.

We haven't used the solution for too long. We are at the beginning of automation. We are not ready to escalate just yet. However, we do plan to increase usage in the future.

We've contacted local support in the past. At the time, it was just a simple question, as we have developed a simple process. We've just had small questions and issues.

Currently, we are also using Automation Anywhere.

The product is easy to set up. Actually, we're a very large Microsoft customer. All of our solutions are mostly Microsoft. All of the security fields are already solved by Power Automate, which makes it easy to implement and to set up. It's not a problem at all.

Each process took us about two months to set up. Since we define them, it's quite easy. The operational processes are very easy to maintain and to operate. There are no issues with that. It's a simple three-step process, it's not a complex task.

We are looking for automation and are looking at options such as UiPath and Blue Prism.

We are looking for some solution for logistics.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We are using the solution on our desktops, however, I don't know which exact version we are using.

I'd advise other users that it is very simple to implement Power Automate, however, new users have to be careful with how they expand it and develop complex processes. That said, we don't have experience with processes more complex than a one or three-step process.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Architecte Entreprise Collaboration at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Good integration with the Office 365 ecosystem and globally stable, but needs better licensing model and support for visual process editing
  • "Its integration with the Office 365 ecosystem is most valuable. We use a lot of ready-to-use templates."
  • "Its licensing model should be improved. The pricing should be more visible and transparent. When you consume services, there are too many criteria to figure out how much it is going to cost you to use the product to its full extent. It should also support visual process editing, which is a standard feature for BPMN 2.0 compliance. They should improve the visual designer."

What is our primary use case?

We have various use cases because it is used at an enterprise scale. It is mainly used for document workflow management. It is used for validating and publishing documents. It is also used for validating the SharePoint page publishing, financial approvals, and investments approvals. It is a SaaS solution, so we have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its licensing model should be improved. The pricing should be more visible and transparent. When you consume services, there are too many criteria to figure out how much it is going to cost you to use the product to its full extent.

It should also support visual process editing, which is a standard feature for BPMN 2.0 compliance. They should improve the visual designer.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is globally stable.

We haven't scaled it up. We have between 1,000 to 2,000 users. On paper, it is easy to scale, but it is under the condition of license purchase. It scales within the limits of what has been imposed by the licensing model.

I have been more in touch with their pre-sales people than technical support. We are a large enterprise, so we have direct access to their premium support team with SLAs. Their support is very responsive and efficient.

It is simple. It is a ready-to-use product, and there is no setup. It also doesn't require maintenance from our side.

It costs us nothing because we use it on the built-in cost that is a part of our existing license for 365. To use it more extensively, there are different pricing models.

Its licensing is complex. It is complex to evaluate the cost in advance. As a result, people don't use it because they don't know what overall cost they are going to incur. There are too many criteria to figure out how much it is going to cost you to use the product to its full extent. Its licensing model should be improved, and the pricing should be more visible and transparent.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Power Automate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022