IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Director - Cloud Security Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Its integration with the Microsoft ecosystem is the key benefit, but onboarding of endpoint devices is not straightforward
  • "The key benefit of Intune is its integration with the Microsoft ecosystem."
  • "Onboarding of endpoint devices is not straightforward. The onboarding process was a little heavier than I thought it would be. That's the key improvement area. Obviously, the more control you have over the devices, the better it is."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for endpoints or mobile devices. We are mainly using it for endpoints. For mobile devices, we are mainly using Workspace ONE.

What is most valuable?

The key benefit of Intune is its integration with the Microsoft ecosystem.

What needs improvement?

Onboarding of endpoint devices is not straightforward. The onboarding process was a little heavier than I thought it would be. That's the key improvement area. Obviously, the more control you have over the devices, the better it is.

I have been using this solution for about three years. I use it on a weekly basis.
Microsoft Intune
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I didn't have any issues.

It is easy to scale. Getting used to using it instead of SCCM is an interesting shift because you don't manage policies the same way. There is a difference, so the scale of that is also interesting to address. We probably have more than a hundred users.

Their tech support is decent. Sometimes, getting to your first contact can take a little bit longer, but after that, it's pretty good.

Previously, we were using Workspace ONE, but it was cost-prohibitive. We moved because of Microsoft's ecosystem. It was a business decision. The integration of the systems made it easier to stay with something like Intune.

It's not trivial, but it's okay. It's not too complicated. You do have to make sure you read your documentation, and you get an idea of what you're trying to do.

It's reasonable. They're not giving it away, but it's reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

If you can get help from Microsoft or if you can use the fast-track process, it would definitely be worth your while. I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Jason Corchuelo - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Engineer Service Delivery at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
It offers great visibility into automated deployment solutions
  • "It's not working perfectly, but Microsoft's Autopilot offers great visibility into automated deployment solutions."
  • "The reports aren't complete, and it's not easy to build custom reports. For example, Windows Autopilot isn't working well in cases where the computers don't have a good internet connection. Then the option is not good enough."

What is our primary use case?

My company requires control over the deployment process of new computers, and we have set up some profiles for specific applications to configure the access policies and define permissions for certain objects or documents. That's the most common use case.

What is most valuable?

It's not working perfectly, but Microsoft's Autopilot offers great visibility into automated deployment solutions.

What needs improvement?

The reports aren't complete, and it's not easy to build custom reports. For example, Windows Autopilot isn't working well in cases where the computers don't have a good internet connection. Then the option is not good enough. Microsoft could add an integration for managing Intel vPro chipsets. That would be nice.

I started working with Intune three years ago.

I wasn't involved in some of the biggest deployments, but I think the solution is capable of handling various complex scenarios and architectures. We'll probably increase usage, but we don't have any plans in the near future.

Microsoft support is very good.

I previously used a different management solution called SOTI MobiControl, but I didn't switch because Microsoft Intune was better. I just changed companies.

Implementing Microsoft Intune is easy. Total deployment takes about one to two weeks. You access the portal, buy the subscription, and configure everything. We have three administrators managing the solution.

I'm researching VMware Workspace ONE, a new VM solution. I think it's interesting, but I don't have enough experience to give specific feedback about that tool.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Intune nine out of 10. I think my company needs to define the use cases for each user type and organization type. For example, we have to consider if the client has policies configured with Active Directory and assess to identify which policies are required in the new management solution then configure only the settings that they require.

Microsoft Intune
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fook Hwa Tan - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Quality Officer at Northwave
Is stable, scalable, easy to use, and easy to roll out with low impact on users
  • "The central administration con dashboard is very easy to use and provides very good oversight on all that needs to be monitored."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have some security policies pushed to our laptops, and we use Microsoft Intune to mainly monitor if they are up to date. The reason why we use it is to keep the patch levels on par for our end points.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we have an automated registered inventory of all our laptops, and we know exactly which software needs to be updated.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and easy to roll out with low impact on users.

It is stable and scalable as well.

Also, the central administration con dashboard is very easy to use and provides very good oversight on all that needs to be monitored.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

As for additional features, full integration with Microsoft Office 365 would be great.

We have been using Microsoft Intune for half a year or so.

It is a stable solution.

Microsoft Intune is a scalable solution, and we have about 142 users.

We've still got a few more end points to roll it out on, but our increase will be in functionality. Now, we're only looking at updates, but in principle, we can actually push security policies as well.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy to roll out.

Our own technical staff implemented it, and it took about one month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that you educate your staff first before rolling it out. Give them ample education and training on how to implement it and on how it's going to be used.

The biggest lesson I learned from using Microsoft Intune is that the central administration con dashboard is very easy to use and provides very good oversight on all we want to monitor.

I would rate Microsoft Intune at nine on a scale from one to ten because it's so easy to use and easy to rollout with low impact on users.

KittuNarayanan - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be used to manage devices over the internet while ensuring their security
  • "Internet-based access with security is what I have found to be most valuable. It is also a stable and scalable solution."
  • "For an existing customer who has an SCCM, it would need to be upgraded to an MECM first before I can introduce Microsoft Intune."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for proposing solutions to customers and for co-management of the end-user devices, as well as for unified endpoint management. We also use it for mobile device management.

What is most valuable?

Internet-based access with security is what I have found to be most valuable.

It is also a stable and scalable solution. We have not had any issues with technical support as well.

The initial setup is straightforward too.

What needs improvement?

Currently, for a new customer or when a device refresh occurs, I can introduce Microsoft Intune as a unified endpoint management solution. However, for an existing customer who has an SCCM it would need to be upgraded to an MECM first before I can introduce Microsoft Intune.

Microsoft even recommends it as a co-management solution because even if I need to go for UVM as a unified endpoint, I need to rebuild all the missions, which is not practical. So, they need to look into it and provide an easy and flexible moment to UEM.

I've been dealing with Microsoft Intune for at least fours years.

Stability-wise, it is good and stable.

It has very good scalability.

We have had no issues with technical support.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment usually takes around eight weeks of time, including pilot testing. We do requirement gathering, designing, and building, so it takes us a minimum of eight weeks.

What other advice do I have?

From a solution perspective, I always recommend that you go for it. From a scalability aspect and on managing the devices over the internet and ensuring that the security of the devices for customers is always taken into account, we always recommend to Microsoft Intune.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at nine.

Head IT Engineering at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Effective data security, useful manager, and simple installation
  • "The one feature we find most useful is the Mobile Application Manager. There are two types, we have the complete MDM and the Mobile Application Manager(MAM). We don't give our users phones, it is their own personal phone, and we need to allow them to have access to the company detail on their phone. We need to create a balance between their own personal data and the company data. We deploy the Mobile Application Manager for them so that we won't be able to interfere with their own personal data."
  • "In the next release, I would like a feature to be able to properly lock down the device. For example, if an attacker or somebody steals the phone, you can be sure that the pin cannot be broken."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Intune to secure our mobile access when you're assessing your data from your mobile. Additionally, we use the solution to limit people from transferring files to people that are not part of our domain, and secure company data from exposure.

What is most valuable?

The one feature we find most useful is the Mobile Application Manager. There are two types, we have the complete MDM and the Mobile Application Manager(MAM). We don't give our users phones, it is their own personal phone, and we need to allow them to have access to the company detail on their phone. We need to create a balance between their own personal data and the company data. We deploy the  Mobile Application Manager for them so that we won't be able to interfere with their own personal data.

What needs improvement?

We are always working with Microsoft on improvements. Improvement is not something that is static, we are always looking for a dynamic way of working with Microsoft. We have a support and enterprise agreement with Microsoft. Every quarter, we review the performance of all our solutions and then we ask for further improvement.

In the next release, I would like a feature to be able to properly lock down the device. For example, if an attacker or somebody steals the phone, you can be sure that the pin cannot be broken.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for approximately four years.

I have found Microsoft Intune to be stable.

Microsoft Intune is scalable.

The installation is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to ensure that the technical people are well versatile and trained, especially the technical people that will implement Microsoft Intune.

I rate Microsoft Intune a nine out of ten.

Senior Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Provides functionality for data protection on one's laptop and desktop
  • "As the solution is a software as a service, the scalability is unlimited."
  • "It would be great to see on-premises mailboxes and for the solution to have geofencing capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

The solution affords data protection on mobile device management. It also provides functionality for data protection on one's laptop and desktop. But, this requires a different ecosystem for the provision of full data protection. A person can utilize this if he has a cloud proxy and something in his infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

MM and MDM are two useful features that we employ.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to see on-premises mailboxes and for the solution to have geofencing capabilities.

As it is a next generation product, the patching abilities should also be addressed.

We have been using Microsoft Intune for the last three or four years.

As the solution is a software as a service, the scalability is unlimited.

We are satisfied with the partner and community support of Microsoft.

The initial setup can be a bit complex, although this ultimately depends on the requirements of the business. If a proper framework is established then the solution is simpler to deploy.

Moreover, the company culture impacts the complexity of the deployment. There are times when we must provide guides or that user training is required. When deploying in the developer community, in which the participants are tech savvy, the process will be easier. Conversely, when doing so in a non-developer community, this process can take awhile.

The licensing costs we leave up to the customer and these vary from one to another. This is because it depends on whether or not the customer will opt for an open license enterprise agreement.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is solely cloud-based.

We work with medium and enterprise businesses.

I rate Microsoft Intune as an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: integrator
Security Architect at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Wide range of device management, scalable, and highly stable
  • "One of the main features of the solution is it allows the management of many devices in different ways."
  • "When Microsoft Intune is used with different android devices it does not always work as it is supposed to."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for mobile device management.

What needs improvement?

The enrollment in Microsoft Intune is based on user accounts and not devices. It can be different to maintain different profiles for the same user. It cannot work together with other solutions. For example, if you have a normal user having a mobile phone, and they also have a tablet that they use that is managed from another MDM solution, such as Airwatch, the two can not cooperate if you are using the same Microsoft account on those two devices. They need to allow enrolment through the device IDs.

We have been working with this solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

We have not had any issue with the scalability.

We have approximately 7,000 users using this solution.

I do not think it is ever straightforward to use a Mobile Device Management System. Especially in our case, we were enrolling a lot of different devices that were already in use. That is always complicated and I do not think the fault is with Intune. It is complicated because Android can be used by different manufacturers, such as Huawei, Samsung, or Sony, and all of them can be very different.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Highly scalable and useful policy CSPs
  • "The most valuable feature is the policy CSPs."
  • "The closest Microsoft Intune can be to GPOs, the better. There needs to be more granularity on application deployments. However, they have done better recently with the application deployments."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Microsoft Intune for supporting clients with mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the policy CSPs.

What needs improvement?

The closest Microsoft Intune can be to GPOs, the better. There needs to be more granularity on application deployments. However, they have done better recently with the application deployments.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for approximately seven years.

Microsoft Intune is scalable. You can add Defender ATP and other inbuilt features.

The technical support from Microsoft is not good, they take a long time to respond to a case and they do not update you on what is happening on a case.

I've been on multiple deployments. The range from the pilot can take from a couple of weeks to a full-scale deployment, which can be a couple of months to a year. The longest I have been involved in was eight months.

The clients pay for a license and each can have a different type of license, such as an E3 or E5.

What other advice do I have?

I have found sometimes Microsoft Intune does not work and it can be very unresponsive.

The honest truth is that Microsoft Intune is the future. Even though it's not the finished article, because it changes every week, the earlier you adopt it, the fewer hassles you will have down the line. The more you wait, the bigger the problem you might end up having trying to migrate.

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022