Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Ahmad Zuhdi - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Specialist FWP at PT. SoftwareOne Indonesia
A cloud-based mobile device management solution with a good conditional access feature
  • "I like that we can implement conditional access."
  • "It would be better if they can reduce the cost of the license."

What is our primary use case?

I work for Mastersystem Infotama who is a Microsoft partner. I am an engineer, and I deploy Microsoft Intune in several companies. Our customers use Intune for their mobile device management. We also use Intune to protect devices accessing the application's corporate data. First, you must be compliant with the same criteria. If users connect with the corporate IP address, they only connect with username and password. But if they connect from a coffee shop IP address or IP addresses that aren't corporate, they will have to engage in multi-factor authentication.

What is most valuable?

I like that we can implement conditional access. Microsoft has conditional access for mobile device management, and we can categorize it as a corporate application or a personal application. We can protect it so users cannot copy from the corporate application to the personal application, but users can copy from the personal application to the corporate application.

We can also make one file with different permission for different people. The name of the feature is Microsoft Azure Information Protection. We can configure it to help the user work from home. They can download the file, and they can operate this file in another place, but the corporate organization still protects it.

We can also protect user access from a mobile phone. They cannot save the file to internal storage for the mobile phone. They only can save the file to OneDrive or SharePoint drive.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if Microsoft can reduce the cost of the license. as we know the Intune device subscription is licensed per device at a cost of $2 a month. but for the best to enhanced security and feature we must added add-on license or buy/upgrade to bundling license such as M365E5.

Microsoft Intune is a core product, and it's very stable

Microsoft Intune
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability is good. It can adopt Android and iOS and manage macOS. We couldn't support macOS two years ago, but now we can.

Technical support is good. We get help from Microsoft support. For Microsoft Intune, if we buy the license, we can get support for free. We can create tickets for the problems. We can also report the problem in the Microsoft portal.

Microsoft Intune is essentially software as a service for mobile device management. To configure Microsoft Intune, we only have to register the domain name and register the DNS. We can log in to enroll the device with Microsoft Intune. After we register the DNS and the domain name, we configure the policies. All policies like user access and permissions. After that, the admin can send the license to every user.

The configuration takes one to five days. But it takes a long time to educate the users on how they can use it. This is because some things change after we implement Intune. Users may complain that they can't do what they did before, but it's better from a security perspective.

Microsoft will maintain it. The customer only maintains the policy and the license.

The price could be better. Microsoft Intune pricing is based on the number of users. Every user license is for 15 devices. consists of 5 devices for PC (Windows or Mac), 5 tablets, and 5 mobile phones (Android and iOS).

My customers already know and use Microsoft, so they adopted Intune. They use Office 365 for secure collaboration between organizations. Microsoft is the preferred choice and has user confidence to work together securely.

MobileIron has two types of licenses. One is a SaaS-based model, and they provide support, and the other is a license for the on-premise solution. Microsoft Intune offers only a cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer already uses a Microsoft solution like Microsoft Office, or an email solution like Microsoft Exchange, it's better to use Microsoft Intune. But if they want an on-premise solution, they can choose another solution like  Mobile Iron or Airwatch solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune a nine.

IT Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, highly scalable and reliable
  • "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The solution could improve its flexibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Intune for match management for the more than 1,000 computers we have in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Microsoft Intune we were having trouble when people were not coming to the office and they were working from remote locations. We did not have any control over their devices. Since the introduction of Microsoft Intune, we have had the problem completely taken care of.

Right after we started using Microsoft Intune we were stuck with this pandemic of COVID-19, and 100% of the users were working from home. It was a good thing we started using it at that time, we were able to do the patch management even though 100% of the workforce were sitting at home.

We have a lot of on-premise server policies which we were struggling with because users get authenticated on the company network, but some elements would not take effect. However, with the implementation of Microsoft Intune, we do not have that problem anymore because the user only needs to be connected to the internet. They will get all the policies that we configure on a global scale.

These are the main areas that have changed the way we do administration tasks on the devices. Additionally, we have control over the applications, such as Mobile Application Management (MAM), we can control how the user can share the company data which we did not before. They could previously install a certain email application on their phone and then they could share it with anyone, but now we have the control; we can restrict it and we can even restrict the applications that they can use. We can stop them from sharing things on WhatsApp. We can only apply limits to the Microsoft platforms, such as Teams and Outlook.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve its flexibility.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for one year.

Microsoft Intune is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 1,200 users using the solution and for the operators or managers using the solution, we have approximately 15.

The support is satisfactory.

I have used ManageEngine Desktop Central and SCCM. When comparing SCCM to Microsoft Intune, when we used SCCM we had more control and visibility on what we deployed. There are certain cases where you do not want to deploy something. For example, there are security updates or quality updates that could have bugs or glitches that you see around the world. Another example is, every second Tuesday Microsoft patches will be released and you hear that some of them can have bugs or glitches, we can take them off the list and not proceed with that particular patch. This was possible in SCCM because you can select whatever patch you want before deployment. However, in Microsoft Intune that is not possible because Microsoft releases it across the world as one data piece. You do not have control over whether to select it or not, we have to accept it.

ManageEngine Desktop Central is very similar to SCCM, you can select what updates or patches you want. If you do not want one patch you do not have to select it.

We migrated all the services to Microsoft platform cloud architecture. We went with Intune for the patch management, but we do have ManageEngine Desktop Central, which is capable of doing patch management.

The installation of Microsoft Intune was not difficult, it was smooth. Once it was set up it was up and running, we only had to configure the policies. Integrating was easy with Active Directory.

I did the implementation of the solution myself. We have a team of four to five that do the deployment of the solution.

There is a license needed to use the solution and we are on an annual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Intune
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Lead at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Very stable, very effective in protecting our users' data, but lacks in terms of reporting, analytics, automation, and support
  • "I can reach devices or computers over the internet. I don't need to worry about the network connectivity between the offices. I can manage any device. That is the most important part."
  • "The most important thing is reporting. They should improve their reporting. They should give a free hand to users. In SCCM, I can create my own reports. For example, in SCCM, I can create an inventory report for my PC or for all PCs, but in Intune, we don't have an option to create any report. Microsoft claims that Intune is a successor of SCCM, but SCCM is more powerful than Intune. So, they should develop Intune more and make it equivalent to SCCM. Then, their product will be great in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT support engineer. I take care of all IT projects in my organization. I have implemented Intune and onboarded thousands of devices over Intune. I'm not an end-user. I am supporting our employees with IT policies.

What is most valuable?

I can reach devices or computers over the internet. I don't need to worry about the network connectivity between the offices. I can manage any device. That is the most important part.

The Mobile Application Management (MAM) policy is also valuable. I can control applications, and I can secure applications by using the MAM policy. It is very effective and very helpful in protecting our users' data on mobile devices such as iPhones, Android phones, etc. I can apply policies, and I can protect user data.

I can also deploy the software and applications and do configurations. Windows autopilot is there. It is like self-provisioning on employees' computers. That is also an important part.

What needs improvement?

The most important thing is reporting. They should improve their reporting. They should give a free hand to users. In SCCM, I can create my own reports. For example, in SCCM, I can create an inventory report for my PC or for all PCs, but in Intune, we don't have an option to create any report. Microsoft claims that Intune is a successor of SCCM, but SCCM is more powerful than Intune. So, they should develop Intune more and make it equivalent to SCCM. Then, their product will be great in the market.

If I want to deploy an application, I cannot add multiple schedules. I can add only one schedule, and I need to rely on that. Adding multiple schedules over a period of time is not possible at this time.

I cannot evaluate any setting before deploying anything. In SCCM, we have the Compliance Baseline feature. If I want to check any service or anything else, I can do that, but in Intune, that is not available. There are very few compliance policies. They say whether your device is compliant or not, but if they don't provide enough and better compliance policies, why should I be compliant with those policies? They should give more options for the compliance policies so that we can choose something better, and we can make our devices comply with those policies.

It lacks in terms of analytics. Analytics and all such things are not good, which again comes down to the reporting part. It should be better in terms of analytics and reporting.

It also lacks in terms of automation. If we want to automate some of the things, we need to spend more time on automation. Other tools in the market are giving better automation graphically. So, they can work on that part.

Their support should also be improved. They don't know about their own product.

I have been using this solution for the last six months.

It is very stable. So, whatever features they provide are working great. There are no problems with those features.

My experience with them was very bad. They don't know about their own product. I know better than them by going through their articles and other resources. When I ask them anything, they come up with silly answers. They are making me feel frustrated. I have had a very bad experience with their support.

Its initial setup is very easy. We don't need to deploy any servers anywhere. With just a few clicks, we can set up Intune. We just need to set the MDM authority, and we need to set the automatic enrollment. That's it.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the mobile device management tools are giving the same facility. I don't have experience with VMware Workspace ONE, but I have been reading about it. VMware Workspace ONE also gives similar features in a slightly different way, but the objective of all such tools is the same.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a five out of 10 because they are still developing it.

ISMS Manager & Information Systems Security at AFRICA FINANCE CORPORATION
Provides the ability to manage devices with different sets of policies, and is affordable for the protection it gives
  • "The ability to manage devices with different sets of policies is most valuable."
  • "We haven't really gone through all the features of Intune. We are just discovering them. Every day, we see a new feature that we want to apply, but what will be great for Intune is to be able to deploy apps in a simple fashion. We should be able to easily install various apps on the Windows platform, iOS, and Android. Currently, we have to write some scripts. It's not as straightforward as we would like it to be. It should be simplified so that we can do it just with three clicks—next, next, finish—without needing to write a script."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to protect our devices. We are using it for protecting our corporate data on the phone and for GDPR compliance.

We are using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helpful for protecting our corporate data on the phone. In the event a phone is stolen, we can remotely wipe the phone or destroy the data on it.

It also helps us with our GDPR compliance. We also have the GDPR module on the cloud that links to all the endpoints, laptops, mobile phones, and tablets. So, we can also remotely protect the data on the phones, wherever they are.

Intune makes it possible for us to reach all the endpoints and have them protected at all times. We have what is called Defender now, but it used to be called Advanced Threat Protection.

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage devices with different sets of policies is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

We haven't really gone through all the features of Intune. We are just discovering them. Every day, we see a new feature that we want to apply, but what will be great for Intune is to be able to deploy apps in a simple fashion. We should be able to easily install various apps on the Windows platform, iOS, and Android. Currently, we have to write some scripts. It's not as straightforward as we would like it to be. It should be simplified so that we can do it just with three clicks—next, next, finish—without needing to write a script.

I have been using this solution for about six years.

So far, it has been good because what we tend to do is get high-end phones with lots of processing power, RAM, and storage. That way, its capacity is never an issue.

It is scalable. It is a multi-user license, and because there are templates for policies, it's easy to just assign what you have set up for executives, for ordinary users, for marketers, etc.

We have about 150 users who use this solution. I work with this on a daily basis.

I would rate them a 10 out of 10 because they knew what the problem was, and they walked us through resolving it. I am satisfied with their support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The first one we used was VMware AirWatch. The reseller overestimated our requirements, and we got a very expensive package. It was about $57,000 every year, and eventually, we found out they had a package for $6,000 every year that did exactly what we wanted, so we had to drop it. We had spent two years on VMware AirWatch with the expensive module.

We switched to Intune because we were already on a Microsoft subscription for Office 365, and the add-on wasn't that expensive.

It was simple. I would rate it a four out of five in terms of the setup. It took about a week.

It is a cloud product. It doesn't require any maintenance from our side. We get an update every time they upgrade a feature.

We did it internally. We just went through the documentation.

It's affordable for the protection it gives. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting a Microsoft partner to deploy it for you. It's a lot quicker.

I would definitely recommend this product. I would rate it a 10 out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Solution Lead Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be easily integrated into other tools and Autopilot feature allows for zero-touch deployment, but reporting feature could be better
  • "Autopilot is a great feature. Most users are looking for a zero-touch deployment."
  • "Reporting and troubleshooting for the application deployment could be better. It's very difficult to understand."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed on cloud.

What is most valuable?

Autopilot is a great feature. Most users are looking for zero-touch deployment.

What needs improvement?

There are many things that could be improved in Microsoft. Reporting and troubleshooting for the application deployment could be better. It's very difficult to understand.

It's also very difficult to monitor where exactly the error is and the kind of scripting we're trying to deploy. PowerShell scripting is even getting a delay compared to other applications or policies. Usually if we deploy the configuration profile, there is an immediate sync and it will be applied to the devices, but it's not happening on PowerShell. This is an apparent option for PowerShell that is not working properly, so that again needs to be rectified. The reporting is a major drawback in Microsoft in Intune. They're not properly reported on the console.

I have about seven years of experience with Microsoft. I have been working with Intune for the past four years.

The solution is stable, but the reporting steps could be improved. The product has been released for more than six years, but some complete information is required.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is very active. We used to interact mostly with Microsoft, so we had a lot of issues from the Intune side, so we were often troubleshooting steps. The technical side is pretty good. Whenever it's required, they will immediately schedule a call. I would give them a 9 out of 10.

Initial setup is of average difficulty. It requires a lot of people. We need to have an Azure AD license, so some AD integration is required. A kind of firewall is included.

In Jamf, it's not like that, so we have a single console and we can implement it. But here, we have multiple because it can be integrated and co-managed. I can't say it is very easy to deploy. For very small-scale industries, then it's definitely easy if you have minimal user devices or user IDs. If you're looking to deploy the solution on a corporate-level, and if they have multiple tenants, in that case, it is definitely complex.

If you are looking for it to be co-managed, there'll be an SCCM and an AD team. Otherwise, one or two engineers is fine for Itune.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

If you are working as a SME, anybody can do the major part of troubleshooting and configuration. Even someone who isn't certified will be able to do the configuration and implementation part. Logs are required to troubleshoot.

Intune is the best tool going forward because everyone is moving to the cloud. If you have a cloud environment, it will be easy for a service provider to provide support. The solution can also be easily integrated to other tools.

There are so many additional features included in Intune that it's very easy for the users, corporate, and for companies to manage the devices. Even if the device is out of office, even if it is not domain-joined, it will be easy for us to manage for the client, or for the companies to manage it.

Ayesha Imtiaz - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good protection policies, documentation, and scalability, but needs more group policies and better reporting, stability, and support
  • "Its protection policies are most valuable. It protects mobile devices as well as individual apps. It is pretty scalable, and its documentation is also pretty good. It is also pretty straightforward to deploy."
  • "They need to add more group policies. Intune currently does not have many group policies that you can deploy. Its reporting, which is very limited at the moment, also needs improvement. It will be great if they can add report customization. Its stability needs to be improved. Sometimes, when you register a device in Intune, it doesn't show up instantly on the engine portal on the admin side. They need to provide better support for complicated issues. They also have a long turnaround time."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for mobile device management. We use it for mobile phones and even PCs. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its protection policies are most valuable. It protects mobile devices as well as individual apps.

It is pretty scalable, and its documentation is also pretty good. It is also pretty straightforward to deploy.

What needs improvement?

They need to add more group policies. I know that they are already working on it, but this is something that I would like them to do quicker. Intune currently does not have many group policies that you can deploy. It is quite limited in terms of group policies. For example, if I want to disable the password manager on my browser, I can get support in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge, but not with Firefox. It would be ideal if they can add some of these things.

Its reporting, which is very limited at the moment, also needs improvement. I can see basic information, such as how many devices are enrolled, but I can't get customized information. It will be great if they can add report customization.

Its stability needs to be improved. Sometimes, when you register a device in Intune, it doesn't show up instantly on the engine portal on the admin side. There are sync issues between the admin side and the user side.

They need to provide better support for complicated issues. They also have a long turnaround time for resolution in regards to overall escalation.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It needs improvement in terms of stability. Sometimes, when you register a device in Intune, it doesn't show up instantly on the engine portal on the admin side. There are sync issues between the admin side and the user side. It is not very stable. Sometimes, it works instantly, and sometimes, something goes wrong, and you get stuck there. It is not consistent.

It is pretty scalable because you can also integrate on-premises stuff. You can also integrate it with SCCM.

When I contact technical support, I normally find the junior engineers to be not that good. They're just good with the basic issues. If there is something complex, you have to escalate the case, but they take a lot of time to escalate it. After the escalation, they are able to fix the issue, but the overall time they take to solve an issue is too much. Sometimes, the solution is very simple, but the process of escalation takes too long.

I find it pretty straightforward, which could be because I have been working on this solution for three years. It mostly involves clicking the Next button. It will also depend on your requirements and policies, but it is generally straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft documentation is a very good place to start. They have done a great job for beginners who want to deploy Intune in their organization. They have done a good job in describing different scenarios in the documentation. I would advise starting with the documentation and doing some certification as well.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Powerful, highly scalable, and good technical support
  • "The technical support of Microsoft Intune is good."
  • "I expect Microsoft Intune to have more features in the cloud because there are two major functionalities that we need to be added. This is software metering and license management. These functionalities, for now, must be on-premise. For this purpose, we have set up a SQL Server and I hope that in near future this option will be in the cloud in Microsoft Intune."

What is our primary use case?

When using Microsoft Intune our main focus was on Office 365. Our Azure Active Directory was only held up for users. When we had implemented the endpoint user management in our workstations in a cloud environment, then we started to use Microsoft Intune on an everyday basis, such as remote connection, deploying workstations, Autopilot, and deploying applications. It is a great tool.

Microsoft Intune is a cloud solution. For an on-premise solution, you have SCCM from Microsoft. However, it is old and it will be an obsolete tool soon. There are other solutions such as ManageEngine. Microsoft Intune tool is in the cloud and we can manage everything. You can manage Azure AD, Intune, and not only mobile hand devices, such as iOS or Android, the main focus is on workstations. This is what makes the solution powerful.

What needs improvement?

I expect Microsoft Intune to have more features in the cloud because there are two major functionalities that we need to be added. This is software metering and license management. These functionalities, for now, must be on-premise. For this purpose, we have set up a SQL Server and I hope that in near future this option will be in the cloud in Microsoft Intune.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for approximately two years.

The stability of Microsoft Intune is great.

Microsoft Intune is highly scalable. When you configure your network connection, there are a lot of firewalls and you can optimize your internet speed. Everything works great. You can tune up some repository sizes with Microsoft because if you have large applications, such as AutoCAD, when you upload the images to the cloud it takes some time and it needs more space.

We had four people in my company that used Microsoft Intune on approximately 100 systems.

The technical support of Microsoft Intune is good.

I previously used BEAM for client management from an American company and SCCM from Microsoft. Additionally, I used ManageEngine and Lansweeper. Lansweeper was a light tool with similar functionality. We use it in combination with TeamViewer.

We have projects all over the world. It took us four months to implement Intune Microsoft Intune for approximately 100 clients in three countries. We implemented it in many locations, such as Germany in three cities, Croatia, and Bosnia, there is a total of 50 locations. Microsoft Intune is easy to work with.

The initial setup is not simple, you need a specialist to be involved that has the appropriate experience. This is not a solution where out of the box you run the executable file on your system and hit next, next, to finish the installation.

Microsoft Intune requires specialists to implement the solution. We used an external team of two engineer specialists that was dedicated to the project. I helped too because I have experience in plant management.

There is a license required to use the solution. If you're core users in Office 365, for example, you have Outlook email and E3 license, this is only email. You have to buy an EMS license to have Microsoft Intune. It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Intune a nine out of ten.

MichelTimp - PeerSpot reviewer
CHTO at Timp-iT
Keeps integrity of standard deployments, scalable, and straightforward installation
  • "The most valuable features are the ones that make sure that the deployment is of a standard operating system and the Zero Touch deployment, which is very useful. This allows users to have an out of box experience."
  • "There is improvement needed in integrating with the installed Office solutions versions, such as Office 2019. The Office 365 integrates without a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the deployment of the Windows 10 laptops and devices, and mobile device management of Android and iOS devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ones that make sure that the deployment is of a standard operating system and the Zero Touch deployment, which is very useful. This allows users to have an out of box experience.

What needs improvement?

There is improvement needed in integrating with the installed Office solutions versions, such as Office 2019. The Office 365 integrates fine.

While using the solution, you have to test and validate a lot. This is not really a solution issue but more of a configuration issue but still worthy of noting.

We have experienced an issue while deploying a Windows 10 machine, once you get the user profile applications installed, it does not always integrate well with third-party multi-factor authentication solutions. This is something that can be improved in the future.

I have been using the solution for the last year.

The solution is reliable. However, it depends on the stability of your network and the internet connectivity.

I have not had the chance to fully test the scalability because, although it is an enterprise solution, the organizations that I am working for tend not to have a large-scale, full-blown deployment at once of all the Windows 10 or mobile devices.

We plan to increase the usage of the solution. We have a number of my customers that are just starting with the solution, one is only doing the Windows 10 devices, the other one is only doing mobile device management. We have some clients that have it installed but it is not being fully used yet.

The installation was straightforward.

There is a license needed for this solution and it is either included in one of the enterprise license agreements. Microsoft licensing is a mathematical institute, it could be quite complex. We tend to ask specialized organizations to research what the most profitable way it would be for us to use licenses in the organizations.

We did evaluate other solutions before we selected this one.

What other advice do I have?

Those who want to implement this solution have to ask themselves a few questions.
How do you introduce an additional security layer within my organization? If it is concerning the devices that you are using? Think big, act small, start with the smaller issues that you are having and make sure that the bigger picture stays within reach. Start with either mobile device management, or either Windows 10 deployment on laptops and PCs.

Make sure that you also have security governance because otherwise, you can introduce millions and millions of features and options but it still has to be a good user experience for the people that have to use these devices. If you fully block and fully restrict the devices, then it will not be a good user experience for the people that are actually in the field. There are actions that have to be done due to security and also by means of user experience optimization and security.

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022