IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Head of IT Enel X Digital Hub at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to deploy, good for managing documentation, and great for end-to-end project management
  • "Being able to automatize the deployment of the solution has been great."
  • "What I don't like is that perhaps there are not so many different apps that can add value over the management side of the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project management.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this product is how you can manage from the project to the deployment, even using Bamboo or using Bitbucket.  Being able to automatize the deployment of the solution has been great.  We're not only managing documentation on the project task, but we're also handling the technical assets that are under the project.

What needs improvement?

What I don't like is that perhaps there are not so many different apps that can add value over the management side of the product. They're not able to develop over Jira, even for normal technical activity signing. For managing the project better or for task documentation or even managing tickets or service needs in another way, there needs to be better customization or better apps. I'm really obsessed with the idea of reducing the number of activities to have a general retail workplace. However, if we need to expand the use of the Atlassian suite to all the teams, all the people, we need something that can be, easier to use and has the ability to offer more guidance to those users that usually don't work with these type of tools. For example, ServiceNow doesn't fit all the needs in the company, however, it can be configured. You can develop so many different functions over it. I don't want to increase the payments and the number of licenses that I have to buy from ServiceNow. I would prefer to have my own developed team and try to define everything on our side - including the functionalities that I would like to build for those proposed functionalities.

I've used the solution in a structured way for about 18 months now.
Jira
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have looked at and worked with several content-managed solutions in the last year. We're trying to build our retail workplace using ServiceNow, and, at the same time, increasing the use of the Atlassian suite. ServiceNow, we use for post activities such as service ticketing, service managing, and so on.  The introduction of agile has moved us onto the Atlassian suite, which has been really very, very useful. At the same time, we have a partial solution that has been built over Salesforce, using the Salesforce development environment.  Fortunately, we have so many different solutions for file management. We have FileNet, we have OneDrive. We have SAP. In terms of file management, we have so many different solutions, even Dropbox. We are using the Jira service center and we are using Trello and Confluence as well.

The deployment is pretty straightforward. It's not overly difficult. We are able to automatize a lot of it.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Atlassian partner.  In terms of project management, Trello is not enough of a solution to manage complex projects and maybe some new functions can be developed. I'm not saying that Jira has to develop that, or that Atlassian has to develop that. Perhaps there is something that we can do to create a referring community to develop those new use cases and more simple use cases, and, at the same time, use them for more general purposes in the company. Atlassian fits in the technical side, in the IT side really well. It just needs to move to become friendly in a retail workspace environment, outside of its traditionally technical background. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.
Mitch Tolson - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Robotics at Fresh Consulting
Great for managing backlogs, moving around tasks, and bringing structure to projects
  • "The solution provides users with clarity in terms of the scope of work in a given timeframe."
  • "There's a really steep learning curve for configuration."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution for trying to develop a product end-to-end. It's assisting us in having hardware and software come together.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Managing the backlog and being able to move work around and drag it around in order to replan it to certain sprints is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

There are many areas where improvements can be focused.

There's a really steep learning curve for configuration. I'd like them to simplify all of their configurability yet not remove the configuration options.

I've been using the solution for two years.

We haven't had any noticeable stability issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

There are some issues with scaling. It's difficult to consistently configure multiple teams within a single product.

We have about 150 and they're robotics engineers, software engineers, firmware engineers, PMs, and product people. Anyone that would be on a product development team uses it.

We will maintain usage and intend to continue using it for this deployment. I cannot speak to if there are plans for expansion.

We've never reached out to technical support. I can't speak to how helpful they are.

I'm also familiar with Azure DevOps, which is easier to set up. However, this company has always used Jira.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of difficulty. It's more complex than, for example, Azure DevOps. I'd rate the process at a three out of five.

The deployment took about three months.

I'm not sure how many staff are needed for deployment or maintenance tasks.

We handled the implementation process in-house with our own team. We didn't have any consultants or integrators to assist us in the process.

It's hard to put a number to the ROI we're seeing. It's more qualitative around the structure it provides than any kind of cost savings.

The cost is about $10 per user, per month.

There is a perception with Jira that they try to nickel and dime you quite a bit.

For example, they'll often say "Oh, you want this little feature? We'll charge you $3 per month per user." Whoever's signed up to your account they will charge you, even though you might only need five people to sue it from a 150 person team. That's excessive.

Compare that to Azure DevOps where withAzure DevOps, you just pay $20, and then you deploy that extension to your instance or tenant. With Jira, they charge you a dollar or $2 per active account in your tendency even if not everyone in my tenancy needs to have that extra feature set.

What other advice do I have?

Since we use the cloud, we are using whichever version is currently deployed there. It's updated automatically.

I would recommend Azure DevOps over Jira.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Other
Jira
June 2022
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Adil Fouari - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager / Oracle Applications Consultant at ASAM Conseil Inc
Integrates with other products easily
  • "I've never had a bug or a bug message that I needed to open a ticket for."
  • "It should be connected to ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

I use the Jira app, not the desktop version.

I work at a university and we use Jira to create tickets, epics, and stories. We link Jira to spec documentation with Confluence. We can also link it to TestRail.

Within the university that I work for, there are roughly 4,000 people using this solution — all staff members use it.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's integrated with the specs. You don't have to put the specs in a shared folder or a shared server. It's all linked together with Confluence. We just put the specs into Confluence and then link it to the ticket in Jira. Once our developer has finished his development, we can link it to TestRail to create test scenarios, test them, and analyze the results of the test.

What needs improvement?

It should be connected to ServiceNow. We use ServiceNow for deployments from our test environment to QA, then to production. If it was linked to ServiceNow, it would be perfect — it would be more integrated. Still, at least we can link our test scenarios, specs, and the tickets themselves so we can track the requirements — that's good. We have to use ServiceNow separately to deploy and move corrections from one environment to another.

There are a lot of features that need to be added on top of Jira for management, sprint planning, and agile topology for project management. My project manager says that there are not a lot of features for project management in the agile mode. They have to buy other products to put on top of Jira to be able to properly manage and to track what people are doing.

I have been using Jira for two years.

I was always able to connect. Once you're inside, it's good. We have never experienced any bugs, glitches, or crashes.

I think it's scalable. It can be integrated with other products easily. It's not a standalone product. Integration is the most important thing when it comes to scalability. I believe it uses a certain technology to make it even more scalable.

I've never had to contact support. I've never had a bug or a bug message that I needed to open a ticket for.

We used to use Remedy, but it didn't have everything that Jira has. Jira supports agile methodology. I used Remedy with waterfall projects, but for agile, Jira is the way to go. I've heard people say that Jira is better than DevOps tools.

I don't think it's complex to set up. The features are standard and come included with the product. You only need to know how to use it, create new Jiras, and how to link them. I don't think the setup is complicated. I've installed Oracle E-Business Suite a lot — that's complicated. Jira is much more direct.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using Jira, you have to just go ahead and buy it and use it. Try to use all the functions that are available. There's a lot of things to do in Jira. I recommend it.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a rating of seven.

Private Cloud
Senior Scrum Master at MobilFlex
Very configurable with lots of plugins but not really intuitive
  • "The solution offers a lot of plugins."
  • "I would prefer it if the solution was more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for project management. We organize our work by projects with epics, et cetera. Below that, I believe we are using a Zephyr plugin for QA. We don't use it for product planning.

How has it helped my organization?

I would say it's a necessary evil to use a product such as Jira. All of these solutions are a necessary evil. They all have their pros and cons.

What is most valuable?

For what the solution does, it's fine.

The solution offers a lot of plugins.

The solution is very configurable.

What needs improvement?

There's a bit of a learning curve, which I'm not a huge fan of. It's not exactly user-friendly per se.

I would prefer it if the solution was more intuitive.

There are just so many options, that it's pretty overwhelming as a product. There's too much to focus on.

We do find that we need plugins and have created integrations with more robust analytic solutions than Jira provides.

Personally, I'd like it if there was more flexibility in how you could manage the backlog at a project level.

I've been using Jira for about six months. It hasn't even been a year yet. The solution is still very new to me and I am still learning.

The solution is very, very stable. There's no problem in that sense. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

You can easily scale this solution. If you need to grow it out to meet your company's needs, you can do so. That's not a problem.

We have about 300 users on the solution right now. They include developers, administrators, senior leadership, analysts, designers, and project managers.

I haven't used technical support at all. I can't speak to their reliability or level of knowledge.

Although I wasn't hired at the outset of the company, it's my understanding that they've always used Jira as a solution.

I wasn't involved in the initial implementation of the solution. I just started working with the company six months ago. Honestly, I'm still learning the solution.

I don't have an opinion on the pricing or licensing. It's not really a main concern of mine. I don't have access to any information about what the company pays.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. My company doesn't have a professional relationship with Jira.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. I'm not sure of the last time we updated the solution. I've only been at the company for six months.

I'd advise other companies to dedicate two full-time people to learn the solution and train other team members. It's a big learning curve for users. It takes time to get into it. Having dedicated trainers would help onboard people.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it was more intuitive, and there was less of a learning curve for new users, I'd rate it much higher.

Private Cloud
Ahmed  Abdelwahab - PeerSpot reviewer
Corporate Performance Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible and scalable with good add-ons available
  • "The workflows are very easy to handle as far as scalability goes."
  • "The user interface is very detailed right now. It could be simplified if they consider targeting the user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira product in the organization to automate the software development life cycle.

What is most valuable?

It's a very flexible product.

We can change the workflows as much as we need and we've done that already.

The workflows are very easy to handle as far as scalability goes.

If there is a feature or a workflow feature, that is required and it's not available out of the box from Jira, from Atlassian, we have the marketplace buy from. There are a number of add-ons that we use. We have maybe 20 to 25 that fill in any gaps in the system itself.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is very detailed right now. It could be simplified if they consider targeting the user experience. Right now, on the screen pre-design, the amount of information on the screen is very high. The distribution is good, however, the presentation itself looks very technical. They should work to streamline the UI to make it better for users to digest the information.

I've been dealing with the solution for two years now.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's quite good.

The solution is scalable in terms of the number of users and the number of features. The features we are using are mostly out of the box, however, we have added product management features and code delivered with the integration features. We also have added test management tools or add-ons to it including reporting and dashboarding as well. You can really grow it out and add as many plug-in apps and features as you want.

Currently, we have 500 users that interact with Jira within our organization.

We have good internal technical support for Jira in the organization and we use the Atlassian technical support only when needed. Thus far, we are quite satisfied with the level of support we receive.

I cannot give too much information about the installation, as we're similar to a consultant, and I don't want to get into too many details. As the installation engine, we took two days straight to deploy it and that is with the implementation.

For deployment, you don't need a huge team. We did it with two technical personnel. They are consultant level system administrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Jira.

We're using the latest version minus one, due to the fact that it was installed year. That upgrade was last year and it is my understanding that there is another version coming up.

I'd recommend this solution to other companies.

The product is very scalable and it's very flexible to match any organization, however, the trick to using Jira effectively is that there should be a business process documented in place before using it straight. The mistake that many people do is they consider the tool as the base and they configure their processes according to this. If they work the other way around and have a great process between all cycles, and then implement that process on Jira, it's very beneficial.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

István Szirtes - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Owner at Ericsson
Helps us with product development, planning, and some hardware product development but the performance isn't so good
  • "There are a lot of different plugins for Jira. Unfortunately, we did not test so many and the big pain point for us is the rigorous handling and the roadmap of Jira. We have a portfolio and structure plugin and we have our story map plugin in Jira"
  • "The performance is not so good sometimes. I know that fully depends on the implementation and the IT environment of Jira or the version of Jira installed. The performance is sometimes not so good. I would like to have a better response time from the Jira server. And it fully depends on the administration side of the Jira."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for software for product development, planning, some hardware product development, and for some solutions and services. Other teams in our company use Jira for scheduling daily work and daily tasks and try to organize or manage products and projects.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of different plugins for Jira. Unfortunately, we did not test so many and the big pain point for us is the rigorous handling and the roadmap of Jira. We have a portfolio and structure plugin and we have our story map plugin in Jira. I am a scrum master and coach in my company. My colleagues aren't so educated on these plugins. So first we have to improve all knowledge with these plugins in Jira, to improve or efficiency in the roadmap and for these topics.

What needs improvement?

The performance is not so good sometimes. I know that fully depends on the implementation and the IT environment of Jira or the version of Jira installed. The performance is sometimes not so good. I would like to have a better response time from the Jira server. And it fully depends on the administration side of the Jira.

I have been using Jira for more than 10 years.

It's a very stable system.

My company has different locations in the world. We have maybe 1000 or 1500 people using this solution.

It is easy to scale and expand.

I am not a Jira administrator. So my feeling as a user of the Jira is that Jira is a very efficient, very good tool and a very stable tool from my perspective.

We haven't contacted tech support because the specialized team does it every time.

Everything is delegated to the team inside the company

We also used Mantis. I can't compare the two because Mantis was very different and that tool is very old. The function was very different in Jira. So when we switched from Mantis to Jira, it was a very big step.

We have a specialized team that did the installation and does upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer some different practices, like story mapping and inbox mapping or strategy planning. The story mapping is included in all Jira installation. It would be good to see some features for strategy and portfolio handling planning in Jira. I have used Aha! and this tool has a very good framework with a good toolset. The toolset for strategy planning, toolset for portfolio handling, toolset for product handling, and toolset for daily work handling is very good. I think the Aha! team did very good work. I know that this company is an American company and is a competitor for Jira and for some other tools. Unfortunately, I never heard about this tool before and don't know any other company using this tool, but the tool is very impressive. There are a lot of good features. It would be good to see something like that in Jira.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten. I would give it a higher number if the features that I mentioned for the strategy planning would be included in the framework.

Solutions Architect with 11-50 employees
A very capable product with many useful features, impressive scalability, and good stability
  • "Jira is a pretty capable product, and a lot of features are valuable. We value being able to set up separate projects and configure teams in them, set up sprints, and manage our sprints with its history tracking. These are all very useful features. It has been a very popular product for our work."
  • "Because I am a developer, I would like integration with Git Source Code Management so that for tickets, we can reference the code where the change has happened and where the issue is. This feature might be there, and I probably haven't discovered it."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for project management and issue tracking. It is used by development, QA, and IT operations. It really goes through the whole gamut of project management.

We are not using its latest version. We are usually a little bit behind on versions.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a pretty capable product, and a lot of features are valuable. We value being able to set up separate projects and configure teams in them, set up sprints, and manage our sprints with its history tracking. These are all very useful features. It has been a very popular product for our work.

What needs improvement?

Because I am a developer, I would like integration with Git Source Code Management so that for tickets, we can reference the code where the change has happened and where the issue is. This feature might be there, and I probably haven't discovered it.

I have been using this solution for probably six years.

Its stability has been very good. Every once in a while, we have a problem, and the service stops working. I don't think we have a very robust installation of it, but if there is an issue, it is back online very quickly.

Most of the issues are probably related to the server needing patching or something else. It may not be running on the appropriate size hardware. I know it is not a well-funded product at our office.

It is impressive. We have all our projects on it, and we haven't really had reports of any issues. We haven't yet stretched it to its limitations, but it has managed to meet our requirements, even in this minimal deployment. I am pretty impressed.

I didn't directly contact them, but I am sure at some point we have. We usually have a contact person, and we pay for the full support.

We are adopting multiple products, such as ServiceNow, but they do different things and are for different purposes. There is a talk about replacing Jira with ServiceNow, and we're not too happy with it because we all liked Jira, but sometimes this kind of stuff happens. ServiceNow does have crossover features, but it gets into problems for us when changing from one system to another.

I didn't set it up, but I haven't heard of any issues with the implementation of it. It seems to be very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. Overall, it is a good product. It supports scrum and agile developments. It has a lot of benefits that can be applied very quickly in organizations.

I would advise others to do a test installation and make sure that it fits their needs. Experiment with the multitudes of features that it has. I know there are lots of modules. There are probably many features that we are not using.

I would give it very high marks. I would rate Jira a nine out of ten. There is always something you could improve on it.

KUNALVAGHELA - PeerSpot reviewer
SENIOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPER at Matrix Comsec Pvt. Ltd.
Good charts and reporting, customizable dashboards, and helpful filters
  • "Our company follows the Agile methodology for software development, and this product is one of the best tools for companies that do so."
  • "There are a limited number of gadgets accessible in Jira; thus, additional ones should be supported."

What is our primary use case?

We regularly check the tasks assigned to us, day by day, and create a work log in that task according to what has been done.

You can check today's task assigned to you by using a custom filter, which you can create on your own. We can also make a customized dashboard user-wise.

Upper-level management can analyze the chart and get an overview of the project, giving them the ability to estimate the budget and release date of the project.

How has it helped my organization?

After purchasing Jira, we started shifting to it from the older software we used, like Bugzilla. Bugzilla was being used as our bug reporting tool but after the introduction of Jira, we began to use several of its features. We now use Jira for Scrum Planning, Bug Reporting, Time Tracking, and Budget Tracking.

Day by day, the transparency of the project improves and estimating the project release date becomes easier to do. It is also easy for management-level users to check the project's budget and estimate the release date for a specific feature.

Because there are a number of charts available, looking at them will assist you with any decision that is related to your project.

What is most valuable?

As a user of the Jira, rather than an administrator, the custom dashboard and custom filter are some of the best features from my perspective.

I can manage my own dashboard and by logging into my account every day, I can get information about the day's tasks assigned to me. I can also see my timeline chart, and using that, I can see and understand what has been done in the last week/month.

I have added a gadget on my dashboard that gives me regular updates on the bugs reported by the QA team.

What needs improvement?

Jira is one of the best software applications for project management and budget tracking, but it does have some issues, as follows:

• Firstly, the filtering feature can be improved to some degree.
  • Because JIRA has so many features, it may take some time to obtain a general knowledge of each one.
  • In order to enhance adoption in small and medium businesses, the cost should be improved.
  • I believe it will be difficult for new users to understand.
  • There are a limited number of gadgets accessible in Jira; thus, additional ones should be supported.

In our organization, we have been Jira since 2017.

Previously, we were using the Bugzilla bug tracking software for reporting bugs from the QA and FITs. Due to the number of problems that we had with it, we purchased Jira and have been using it for approximately five years.

The initial setup was easy, and we haven't found any difficulty in that.

The pricing is much higher than other similar solutions available in the market, and as such, the vendor should think about a price reduction to make this product more affordable.

We did not evaluate other options before implementing Jira.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022