Project Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Can customize entries and quickly update them
  • "A most valuable feature involves the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly."
  • "Something I do not like about the new version is that there is a need to browse all the way back to the beginning, should a person click on a task that is specifically for his group and wish to go back and look at the other portfolios or people."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Jira for schedule management as well as for making updates to our projects. I mention this in my capacity as a project manager. I most recently used the solution this year and did so for scheduled management of our varied tasks and projects. JIRA is actually used to put together an entire portfolio for each one of the teams, meaning for everybody. The solution listed each of our projects individually, with us needing to provide daily and regular updates.

What is most valuable?

A most valuable feature involves the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly. Unlike what was previously available, the solution allows us to create specific codes and symbols for the individual teams. The new version allows one to customize and to use demarcators. There is a code that can be entered in Align upon completion of a project or task and this apprises the project manager that it is time for its removal.

What needs improvement?

Something I do not like about the new version is that there is a need to browse all the way back to the beginning, should a person click on a task that is specifically for his group and wish to go back and look at the other portfolios or people. However, I cannot state definitively if this situation owes itself to the way our team put the site together or to something administrative. When clicking the back button it would take the person to the wrong page, not to the one he desires. One would actually have no choice but to browse back to the portfolio and to find his group again and open it. Again, it is not clear to me if this problem lies with Jira or with the way our team laid out the site.

I feel Jira is stable. The only hiccup which comes to mind is the one I mentioned, although it is not clear to me if this owed itself to the network we were using or to limitations of the application. Except for this, everything about the solution is stable. The only time a person can not look at the information is when the administrator announces his intention to remove it.

Jira
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability is pretty good and we started on this process from the moment we started utilizing the solution. While we had only three teams and three sections, between December and January 15th the developers came together and expanded from three to 76 different tasks across the different teams. By February there were over 300 teams. Expansion is easy and did not just encompass our teams but also provided links to others that were outside of our main team set so that there were reference points available.

I would say the tech support is pretty good. I got back a couple of answers in response to an email I sent out.

It was quite easy for me to set up my own pages. I had a field day with creating my own test pages and was able to play around with them and simply test out the different settings. Pulling in new documentation was very easy. The same holds true with pulling in attachments and it was, consequently, easy to set up. As well, I was able to set up certain sub-pages for our team for going in and checking JIRA.

There were initially eight people involved in the maintenance of the solution and deployment of updates. They had the people to whom they answered. We are talking about a large-scale effort. Without taking into account the Jira support line, I would say there were around 12 people managing and administering this version. For our specific team, there were around three. They were the actual decision makers.

I am not in a position to comment on licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

Our team does not use the solution exclusively. There are multiple ones which do, although I cannot state how many teams are doing so. I do know that the entire section of our agency is doing so and this accounts for a lot of people, well over a hundred.

The solution is pretty good and is geared towards those with multiple teams who are using it for the same purposes as us. We use it for providing daily and scrub updates, for which it is really good, as it allows one to track every entry and see when it's entered, timestamp and all. So, if a person has a lot of mission-critical or time-sensitive activities, JIRA is pretty good for tracking and helping to keep everything organized.

While I am still biased towards services at the moment, I rate Jira as an eight out of ten, at it is really good and very functional.

Vice President Quality Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Very scalable and stable and quite useful for agile shops
  • "I like that all of the team members on an agile team can use it. No one is in a separate application."
  • "The reporting needs to be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all issue reporting. The business uses it and we use it in IT as well. Any issue, anything from the help desk to software issues use Jira. It can house test plans, test sets, test executions, and provide some reporting. It's the reporting that's important for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has formalized the workflow process for reporting tracking and stacking and processing issues. It's also added some formal approvals, just for the purpose of formalization of a process workflow.

What is most valuable?

If you're using it in an agile shop, the traceability between epic story's test case defects is very helpful.

I like that all of the team members on an agile team can use it. No one is in a separate application.

The stability is good.

The product can scale, so long as you have storage.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be better. Being able to do some test management would be useful. In the tool, it would be ideal if they could give you some out-of-the-box reports for things like requirement coverage and regression and things of that nature.

I've used the solution off and on for about four years. I used it when it first came out to do some evaluation and we implemented it at a startup. That was when it first started. I've probably only really used it for about eight months on a daily basis.

We have had no downtime, and therefore I don't have anything to say that would be negative. It seems to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

As long as a company has the money for storage, it's scalable to any size. A small company can use it or an enterprise-level company can use it. It works for both.

Currently, we have less than 1,000 users in our organization using the solution.

Jira is extensively used in our organization.

We do plan to increase usage as well. The company purchased it so that it would be scalable. There's not a solid plan right now to add measurable users or increase the size, however, we know that it's available and that's what we were looking for - something that is scalable. The plans are to grow and as that growth happens, either organically, or via the purchase of other financial entities, we can grow the size of the database application and the number of the users.

I did not personally use technical support. I have worked several months with the people who have, and they say that the support is very good.

If the company used something previous to Jira, it was before my time. It possibly could have been Sharepoint, however, I was not with the company at that time.

The solution was implemented before I came to the company.

That said, my understanding is that the company tried to use as much out-of-the-box functionality as possible and it was quite an effort. They spent quite a lot of time formalizing workflows and things of that nature. In the end, it was very well thought out.

We do have a team for maintenance and what takes the most time with any upgrade is going through the changes, the enhancements, the defect fixes, and things like that. The actual time that it takes to physically update it is pretty minimal. However, going through the documentation and meeting with the team to make sure that we have testing covered prior to upgrading is work. We have a test environment prior to pushing it to production. That's what really takes time. It's not the physical update. An update might take two and a half hours and there's a lot of data in there.

My understanding is the company used professional services from Jira and also got some training and stuff of that nature.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We just upgraded the solution. We are on the latest version.

I'd advise potential users to make sure that they talk to the people who are going to be testing and make sure that they know, what metrics they need before they pick a tool, any tool - even if it isn't Jira.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Jira
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Emanuela Ferrante - PeerSpot reviewer
Web Project Lead at Nikon Corp
Can be used by technical and non-technical people. Unfortunately some interesting Apps from the Marketplace are not available for the Cloud version.
  • "The board has been a very valuable feature because it can be very simple for teams that are not technical. It can also be highly technical and have lots of data for teams that are technical. So we use it for both instances."
  • "The next-generation software projects lack a lot, and I found quite a few bugs. There are some really basic things that you still cannot do. For instance, to put a mandatory due date for a task that you create in one of these projects is still not available. That's a bit of a block because people, especially those who are not technical, are not going to add anything if it's not mandatory. It's going to be difficult to teach them that they should do it anyway."

What is our primary use case?

We started using it in the eComm team for the website and all the digital projects. At the beginning was Jira for software development and the Confluence to move the communication away from our mailboxes. Now, we're also using it for marketing and campaign management. Confluence is now our single source of truth and, in general, we are using it in much more content-based projects.

How has it helped my organization?

In many ways: transparency, governance, new comers have a place where to find everything they need, email communications are kept to a miminum, project management is much easier. Also reporting to top management is improved, as there are a lot of nice features like roadmaps and dashboards that can be used for that.

What is most valuable?

The Kanban boards have been a very valuable feature because they can be either very simple for non-technical teams, but also highly detailed and data-driven for teams that are technical. We use them for both types of team.

Jira is also widely used, so whenever we start a collaboration with an agency/vendor we don't need to spend any time in deciding how are we going to communicate.

It is very flexible as well.

What needs improvement?

The next-generation software projects are very easy to use, but they lack a lot, and I found quite a few bugs. There are some really basic things that you still cannot do. For instance, setting a due date for a task that you create as mandatory is still not available. That's a bit of a blocker because people, especially those who are not technical, are not going to add anything if it's not mandatory. It's going to be difficult to teach them that they should do it anyway.

I'm trying to integrate these tools, and I'm trying to open them to different types of teams with different types of people. What I've found is that I read about a macro (App) or about a rule and think that it is what I need, but then find that things are not available for the cloud version. There are some features that are available only in the server version and not in the cloud version. I found a couple of add-ons that we were really interested in, and we couldn't use them because we're in the cloud version.

Sometimes when I tried to set up some macros/add-ons/apps, they didn't work well or were not flexible at all. For instance, you can add only one Excerpt macro to a specific page. And in the that area you cannot have a table, which means you cannot excerpt a table, only content. In general, if you follow the instructions they give you, it works, but when you try to adapt it to your actual needs, it often doesn't work anymore.

I've been using Jira for five years.

We started very small in just one team in the company, and then slowly we've started expanding it to other teams. Now, we are trying to roll it out to all the European digital teams.

We have had some big issues with customer support. Lately we have renewed our contract, and it has taken us two months to do so. There is no way to have a phone call with anybody. The chat is not there anymore. So, the only option is email, and these kinds of things are very difficult to communicate through email.

Two of us were contacting two or three different people from their costumer service till we found the one who was willing to go the extra mile and actually listen to what our issues were.

What other advice do I have?

Try to be tidy from day one because it can get messy very easily. Jira is very flexible, and you can still move and migrate stuff around. However, the reality is that nobody is going to have the time later on to migrate and clean-up. I also recommend starting small because at the beginning it can be scary, especially for non-technical people. I'm thinking about the amount of notifications you'll get, for instance.

I would definitely start small and then slowly, while people are getting used to it, keep implementing it and adding features like roadmaps or dashboards. Try to have a plan or a scheme of how you want it to look before you actually start.

It's a great product and is widely used, so I would rate it at 8 on a scale from 1 to 10.

Sr. Manager (TCoE) - ALM Platforms & PO &T IT at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
An agile solution which allows for planning and visibility, but lacks scalability and governance
  • "The product is good, stable and very cost-effective for small teams."
  • "As the solution is highly configurable, it has very poor governance."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the recent version.

We use it for story and sprint planning, as well as for reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution benefits our organization with its agility, planning and visibility in respect of large teams spanning different geo locations.

What is most valuable?

The tool is well known and popular to use.

The sprint planning is pretty good, as are the reporting piece, retrospective reporting and the planning board.

It is a great tool from the planning perspective, such as that of capacity and sprint planning.

What needs improvement?

As the solution is highly configurable, it has very poor governance. There is nothing which comes out of Jira to go into the product. It is free for all and anyone can create with it. This means that the responsibility lies with the user community to create some form of governance.

Moreover, the solution is geared to small teams. It lacks scalability.

The tool is not good at the enterprise level. This means that, depending on how the person installed the software, the issue of performance may increase commensurate with the number of projects. While plugin for x-ray exists, it is not that mature in test management. Although it's a good tool for many of the smaller clients, once a person goes deeper into it, it's not there, even though it will get the work done.

It is a less desirable solution in controlled environments, such as science, banking and finance, in which there is a need for certain compliance supports.

The solution is not that great for audit histories. It's a great tool when much integration is involved. With cold products, things can always be achieved through other means.

When the teams collaborate, they need multiple metrics to be tracked. With this comes the issue of direct impacts, such as the appearance of one's UI and its usability aspects. The screens have changed greatly in appearance over the last ten years. This is an issue which every software dealt with in line with the growth of usage and complexity.

I have been using Jira for nearly ten years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is good for small teams. It lacks scalability. It does not work well when it must be used across multiple domains and multiple teams which need to collaborate.

The Atlassian strategy is that the solution be open to all to encourage collaboration. But, this raises the issue of how to control the data input and the tool and all that it comprises in respect of the reporting that is generated. This means that poor data quality in the geo projects will equate with poor reporting on it.

As such, supplementation by the teams or organizations using it is required. They must come up with their own rules of governance about who can do what.

The product is not being extensively used at the moment. It is a niche product. I have not seen usage behind it. It involves ID users for certain teams.

We do not have plans to increase usage. This will depend on the feedback we receive.

I have not made use of technical support.

We did not switch to Jira. It is simply one of the products that we also use in addition to an in-house micro focus ALM.

While I was not involved in the initial setup, my understanding is that it is simple. Atlassian puts out many different products and I cannot say for certain how I would have handled ones which are on-premises, compared to those which are cloud-based or server products.

I am not in a position to comment on the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We make use of the solution on Jira Cloud.

While I cannot say with certainty, I would estimate the number of users in our organization at a thousand-plus.

This figure contemplates different departments, such as that involving support.

My advice is that someone in a large enterprise first give consideration to the issue of governance before implementing the solution. For a small team it is ready to use straight out of the box. One need just try and stay with the default workflows. There is no need to overengineer the product.

The product is good, stable and very cost-effective for small teams. These are some of its advantages.

I rate Jira as a seven out of ten.

Programme Manager - Major Programmes Office at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good roadmaps and portfolio management with easy, transparent pricng
  • "Scaling the product wouldn't be difficult."
  • "We'd like to use it with non-Agile projects in the future, however, right now, it is a very Agile-focused product."

What is our primary use case?

We use it within our organization.

It's to handle all the main technology projects. It's for managing mobile banking, internet banking, all the new products, and all technology-related projects.

How has it helped my organization?

We get the big picture of what is going on within a project.

The solution allows us to provide access also to the senior management, to see how things are progressing and to point out quickly what's going on, and help to focus energy on the things that are not going well.

What is most valuable?

The main benefit we got from the product is the consolidation.

I like the roadmap or the new version with the roadmap that the solution offers. For us, the roadmap was a really great feature.

It's got very good portfolio management.

The initial setup is easy.

The licensing is transparent.

It's a stable solution.

Scaling the product wouldn't be difficult.

Whether you are an expert in Agile or just it's the first time you are talking about it, it's a very user-friendly tool. It's a very simple tool. It's not complicated and even the integration and the usage is very simple. You don't need to be an expert.

Whether you have small teams or big teams, it's the right tool.

What needs improvement?

In general, however, as a solution, it's quite complete and I cannot speak to any missing features.

I've been using the solution for one year now.

At the moment, we have not had any issues with stability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

At this time, we are not tackling scaling at the moment. The organization is not mature enough to scale up.

That said, based on the experience we have had now, if we want to scale up, it should not be that difficult.

We have approximately 200 people on the solution currently. Those users are mainly comprised of the software development teams plus some portfolio managers and program managers and the project managers as well.

We do plan to increase usage in the future.

I have not had any interaction with them as we haven't had any major issues. We have a contract with the integrator, however. While everything is going well for the moment, we would have access to assistance if we needed it.

I've used Clarity, however, it was used in another organization.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very straightforward, very simple.

The full deployment took about three months.

We have four people capable of handling any management tasks related to Jira.

We had the setup services handled by a reseller of Jira.

It was a very good experience. It was very fast compared to what we expected from the contract. It was a nice surprise.

We have yet to see an ROI as it's been just one year, including the three months of implementation. Maybe in the next six months, we can have visibility on that. For the moment, it's still in progress. We cannot say anything about any ROI.

We pay a yearly licensing fee for an enterprise-level license.

It's quite similar to the pricing that they have on their website. It's quite transparent from their site. They have a package that charges per user, however, they have some scalable packages, for zero to 10 users, from 10 to 20, from 20 to 50, and so on. You can choose, depending on the size of your company or the number of users. The costs are quite transparent.

While everything is included in that package, the integration or the customization is a different fee. There's a project apart from the integrator, which may vary in cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. There's always room for improvement, however, it's a very good solution.

I would recommend the solution to others.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
IT Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and easy to onboard, but needs better documentation and better integration with other tools
  • "It was easy to use. The consultants that we had on board were familiar with it. So, obviously, having a community that had used it before or was familiar with it was a positive thing."
  • "If I'm comparing it to ALM Octane, the documentation is not as robust as ALM Octane's documentation. So, they can improve on the documentation side."

What is our primary use case?

We had a regulatory requirement through our legislature to collect motor or voter information for residents of California. So, if you basically wanted to sign up to vote, you could do so at a department of motor vehicles. The Jira instance was used for what we call the new motor voter, which is the online premise to register to vote when you conducted a DMV transaction, such as vehicle registration, driver's license, renewal, etc.

We had its latest version. It is online. In the cloud, we set up an account for the department, and then add users as needed. It is a government cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It documented our business requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

If I'm comparing it to ALM Octane, the documentation is not as robust as ALM Octane's documentation. So, they can improve on the documentation side.

Another enhancement could be in the area of interfacing with other products or connectivity. It could have better integration with other tools.

I have been using it since 2017. It has been about five years.

Its stability is good. There are no issues with the performance.

Its scalability is fine. At the peak, we had about 15 users, and towards the end, we had five users.

Our usage was not extensive. We used it only for one project, which was the motor voter project. We don't have any plans to increase the usage. We have stopped paying the subscription fee from the last month because we migrated everything over to ALM Octane for our business requirements.

We didn't need to call them at all.

We were using IBM DOORS Next Generation for business requirements. It was on-premises, and we weren't able to make it available through a URL to the external consultant or workforce. That's why we basically went with Jira. IBM DOORS Next Generation wasn't flexible enough to accommodate all of our remote workforce.

It was straightforward and easy. You basically create an account for your department, and then you onboard your users. There is a subscription fee per user for each month through Confluence.

It took us a week to get it up and running. It involved reading, studying it, figuring it out, and then doing it. It was pretty simple to set up data and add users. So, we onboarded it within a week.

The challenge for us while setting it up was that we had to put it on a credit card, which is not a good thing for the government. Typically, the government likes to pay through a purchase order or procurement process, but because it was a monthly subscription fee, it had to be on a credit card. We had to use an executive card in order for us to pay the bill every month, which was really kind of a pain because our accounting office always had to make sure and check the number of users. They would ask if I had 15 users this month. I am the administrator of the application, so, of course, I know how many users are there. I can see how many users are there and how many are using it and remove them if they don't. I think the state just needs to modify its procurement process because I think ours is pretty old school. I don't think that Atlassian needs to adapt to ours, but that was the only challenge we had in setting it up and configuring.

We had an in-house as well as a procured consultant, but he was through the state, not directly with Jira or Confluence.

The ballpark figure is about $100 a month.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and easy to onboard. It has got a good foundation of offerings for the business requirements if you're working on an agile project or user stories.

I would rate Jira a seven out of 10.

Other
Agile and DevOps Coach at Infosys
MSP
Good user interface, functionality expandable using plugin system, and it helps us track Agile projects at the initiative level
  • "The most valuable feature is Jira Align, which is a plugin that helps you to understand the progress that is made against each epic."
  • "Nowadays, many organizations are moving toward the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) framework, and this is something that Jira should be able to accommodate."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for project management.

How has it helped my organization?

Our team really needed something to help us track the progress that is made against our system-level requirements, and this solution helps us in that regard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Jira Align, which is a plugin that helps you to understand the progress that is made against each epic. I have had limited exposure to it but by using Align, we can also see the progress concerning Initiatives, including progress made against the requirements.

In general, Jira Align is very useful for management. It allows them to see the big picture and what is really happening from a team-execution point of view. Being able to see progress against their Initiatives is a nice feature.

The UI is good, and it helps us to see what needs to be done to complete our sprints.

What needs improvement?

Nowadays, many organizations are moving toward the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) framework, and this is something that Jira should be able to accommodate. Jira should understand that at the leadership level in an organization, such as the C-level or even below that, they don't like to have an epic creator. Rather, they are interested in observing all of the corporate objectives that are being turned out by the team.

OKR is a very important feature for them to add, and it's a big investment. There are separate tools that are trying to support and enable people to use this framework. If Jira could do that, it would be great because we don't want to integrate multiple tools. For example, we don't want to use one for OKR and another one for Agile backlog items. If we can have support for everything using one tool, it would be helpful. That said, it would require a big investment to implement.

The biggest drawback that Jira has is that they don't have a separate chart to show metrics for lead time, cycle time, and throughput. We use the control chart as a workaround but it's not giving us the correct metrics. The metrics are skewed because the chart shows us some items that are still in an open state. This is something that needs to be fixed. By comparison, Rally Software has a feature that enables people to understand the lead time, cycle time, and throughput as separate metrics in different charts. Having Jira implement that capability would be helpful.

We are unable to enter an explicit agreement below the kanban board, which is something that we would like to be able to do.

I have more than five years of experience with Jira.

Stability-wise, Jira is good.

Jira has no problem with scalability. It's far better if you compare it to Rally.

I also use Rally Software. Some times are more on Rally, whereas other things are more on Jira.

Rally software has some better charting features, whereas Jira is more scalable.

Between these two products, it's very difficult to say which I would recommend. Rally has some good features that are not available in Jira. For example, in Jira, we can't put an explicit agreement below the kanban board. This is something that we can do in Rally. Rally Software, on the other hand, does not have the feature that allows us to understand the progress made at the feature level or the initiative level. This is something that Jira gives us with the Align plugin.

I would lean toward Jira as the market leader. If they improved some features, such as the metrics available on the charts and support for OKR, I would prefer and recommend it over Rally and other products.

The pricing for Jira is reasonable, although I think they can bring it down because the plugins cost extra. Jira Align, for example, is available at an additional charge.

Jira should understand that there are now competitors in the market, and they should lower their prices to expand the user base. As sales volumes increase, the price should naturally be brought down. In this case, people are more likely to retain their licenses instead of switching to a more cost-effective solution.

Hemnaad Chinnuraj - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at Datta Tech Consulting
MSP
Allows us to manage all defects and requirements from one point and has good integration with third-party software
  • "The most valuable feature is the feature of assigning. Whenever I have an issue, Jira doesn't stop at just letting me describe the issue. I can also assign the issue to a developer, and the developer gets notified about it. After he is able to work on it, he can update the status and revert back to me through the same platform. It really avoids a lot of communication over email and phone. This the feature that I really like about Jira. I always use Jira with my team."
  • "Its UI can be improved a little bit. I know this a business tool and not a commercial tool, but it could be a little bit more interactive like the HP ALM/Quality Center, which provides you the results of graphs and gives you a lot of visual representations. I feel Jira lacks a little bit in this aspect."

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly used for communication, managing requirements, managing defects, and managing stories. We don't communicate much through Outlook. The majority of the work-related issues are assigned to us, or we assign them to developers through this solution. I've been using this solution for managing requirements and defects. I have also been using it for logging user stories and general communication.

How has it helped my organization?

Best in ensuring 100% test coverage through forward and reverse traceability matrices capability that allows users to track User stories, SRS, Test Cases, Test Instances & Defects all using simple links.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Produce improvements suggestions:

User Interface/ User experience could be improved by expanding on visual capabilities of links such as  Stories, Requirements, Scenarios, Cases, & Defects.

User Dashboards could be improved by increasing ease of use of charts and other interactive options such as Boards.

I have been using this solution since 2011.

It has been stable. I haven't had any downtime or issues with stability. It has been working as expected.

In terms of integrating Jira with other apps, I've actually used Jira to connect to ADPART or other client defect tools. Sometimes, I had to use the connections, but it was not a problem. There is a standard procedure where I had to request for the details, and after I got the details, I needed support from the client to get it connected. There were no issues, and the process is quite standard. It is not fast, but it requires some time.

At my current company, only I am using this solution. We are a startup, and we have less than ten people working here. However, on my client's site, a lot of people are using it.

I've used their technical support only once or twice in my entire experience with this tool. Once, I was not able to log in, so I had to call them, and the other time, it was a problem with my virtual machine. It was not a problem with the tool. I was having problems getting in. I raised tickets, and then I had to call them. It was nice, but it took a little bit of time. Overall, the customer experience was all right.

Before this, I used an HP tool. I started with using Quality Center, and then I upgraded to ALM, and ever since, it has been Jira. Jira is open source, and some of my clients prefer open source, and they have been using it for a long time. Before Jira, ALM/Quality Center was my major go-to tool.

It was straightforward. I just got the details from the client, and I started using it.

Save by reducing errors and improving accuracy.

Start with requirement. If requirement requires tight security and confidentiality, it is highly recommended to employ expert assistance. Whereas if the requirement is agile in nature and is at very initial stages, it is best to start leveraging open source to some extent.

It was solely based on requirement and preference of business stakeholders.

Some areas of business require to run licensed and proprietary software applications whereas some can have the opportunity to leverage open or closed source software.

What other advice do I have?

It is essential to track efforts right from the beginning of the project i.e the from the day of planning and incubation to delivery and deployment.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022