We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Java Architect at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Great usability, easy collaboration capabilities and offers a clear user interface
  • "The ordinary user has an interface that is very clear."
  • "Some of the interfaces, especially on the administrator side and for permissions, are not so clear. They aren't very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our own projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution, for the most part, offers good usability.

The ordinary user has an interface that is very clear.

It's very easy to collaborate, especially on-site when there are a lot of moving pieces. It's a great collaboration tool.

What needs improvement?

Some of the interfaces, especially on the administrator side and for permissions, are not so clear. They aren't very user-friendly.

For admin to get permissions and stuff like that for their members it's a little confusing sometimes. That said, the rest is very clear.

The integration of what we call "Issues" in Jira could be better. The Issues integration with Bitbucket Pipelines could be better. If Jira can provide an easier way to configure and use this functionality, that will be helpful for workers.

I've been using Jira for more than ten years now. It's been a while at this point.

I looked at other options, however, Jira is so famous and well known that I did not have to look for other software.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We use Jira for internal projects. I'm a Java architect.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. I'm very satisfied with its capabilities.

David Sandoval
Senior Functional Analyst at Baufest
Good dashboards and reports help us to better manage and complete our projects
  • "The most valuable features in Jira are the dashboard, reports, and boards that help us to control the advancement of the project."
  • "We would like to see the integration of a lite-version of Confluence, just to manage some of the templates and documents."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to manage scrum projects for the different projects in our company. Our business is a development company that uses the cloud version of Jira to manage the sprint and releases for each project for each client. We manage scrum and cascade projects with our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira allows us to manage the project in a visual way, where you can easily see your sprint board and you see the status of your project, as well. It helps us to finish the sprint on time and easily move issues that are not finished to the backlog or to the next sprint.

What is most valuable?

The boards also help us to determine our velocity, and if we reach the release date it helps to determine which issues need to be moved in the event they will not be finished on time.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see the integration of a lite-version of Confluence, just to manage some of the templates and documents.

Without a plugin, implement the Route in projects created before this feature did so in the most recent versions of Jira.

I've been used Jira since 2016, and it helps us a lot.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director Data Analytics at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Very flexible, pretty user-friendly, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Most of our company is using Jira for IT projects. We had an internal project with which I was involved, and I touched on it a little bit. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

I liked the flexibility of the application. It was pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

If you're not a technical person, it might not be very user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for the past 12 months.

It was stable. I don't recall any bugs or glitches.

My impression is that it was pretty scalable. We have 10 to 12 people who use it. They are IT managers, directors, and developers. …

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I liked the flexibility of the application. It was pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

If you're not a technical person, it might not be very user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for the past 12 months.

It was stable. I don't recall any bugs or glitches.

I did not have to use tech support.

I used to use Microsoft Project in a different organization. In my current organization, I have been working for two years, and Jira is the only tool that they have used as far as I know. They are two different animals.

I wasn't involved in its setup.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten because of its flexibility. I like the controls on it.

Hafez Elhawary
Senior Quality Control Engineer at Link Development
Good at connecting things together but the process should be easier to customize
  • "The most valuable aspect of this solution is its ability to connect everything together."
  • "I have to go through a lot of processes to consider it done. I have to log in then change the logins and make it interesting. It's not so good for testing."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for JIRA is for entering user stories into the login books.

What is most valuable?

It also has good stability.

What needs improvement?

I have to go through a lot of processes to consider it done. I have to log in then change the logins and make it interesting. There shouldn't be the need to go through this. The process should be improved.

It's not so good for testing.

I have been using JIRA for ten years.

It has good stability until now.

You can scale with it.

We have around 35 users.

I haven't needed their support.

I previously worked with TFS.

There are a lot of similarities between the two. Especially in terms of working in the same field, tracking issues, and tracking bugs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend JIRA to somebody considering it. I love working with it.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. In the next release, they should make the process easier to be customized.

Simon Kerry
Group CTO at a retailer with 51-200 employees
A stable platform for managing software development
  • "The most valuable feature is managing software development."
  • "The help desk and services management features are in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira as our help desk solution, as well as for managing our software development efforts.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira has helped with respect to managing our software development, although it does not suit us well as a help desk.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is managing software development.

What needs improvement?

The help desk and services management features are in need of improvement.

I have been using Jira for five years.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is fine. We have fifty people in the company who are using it.

I have not used the vendor's technical support.

The initial setup was done before I joined the company.

I am currently in the process of searching for better help desk management solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to ensure that it meets your requirements. For example, we have been trying to use it for help desk management, but have found that is not well suited for this task.

Jemmuel Real
Team Lead - Web Services at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Highly scalable with excellent speed and search capability
  • "No other platform can compete on speed or search."
  • "Some small issues with stability."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Jira is as our project management tool for monitoring and planning.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the speed and especially the search capability - I don't think any other platform can compete on those.

What needs improvement?

The main area for improvement is the high cost of the product.

I've been working with Jira for two years.

There are some small issues with stability, like unexpected updates, but overall it's good.

I think you can scale Jira as far or as big as you want, it's very scalable.

Jira's technical support is easy to communicate with, and they are very responsive.

This product's cost is much higher compared to other platforms, but it's worth the extra cost. Some add-ons are only available at additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is easier to configure than other platforms like DevOps. It's fairly easy to learn so long as you dedicate some time to it and is easier to use than other solutions. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

Technial Lead at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
Easy to customize but it's not very stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for tracking and management.

What is most valuable?

It's an open-sourced product that is easy to customize.

What needs improvement?

Stability is an area of concern and it needs improvement, otherwise, it's a good product. In the next release, it should be more stable and have more APIs to integrate more plugins with it.

The first time that I used Jira was in 2011.  I am using the older version that was released in 2019.

It's not a stable solution.

The number of users is in the hundreds. We will not likely continue using this product. Our customers are evaluating other…

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for tracking and management.

What is most valuable?

It's an open-sourced product that is easy to customize.

What needs improvement?

The first time that I used Jira was in 2011.

I am using the older version that was released in 2019.

It's not a stable solution.

The number of users is in the hundreds.

We will not likely continue using this product. Our customers are evaluating other solutions that are more stable and scalable.

We have not contacted technical support.

Previously, we did not use another product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The migration took a week to complete.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the use cases, I would either recommend Jira or not.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Executive Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, easy to install, and has good collaboration features
  • "We like team collaboration and cross-functional collaboration."
  • "The history with Jira is that it is a bit complex for many users."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for enterprise planning.

What is most valuable?

We like team collaboration and cross-functional collaboration.

What needs improvement?

The history with Jira is that it is a bit complex for many users.

There are too many features.

The user interface is complex.

I have been working with Jira for five years.

We are migrating to the latest version.

Jira is pretty stable.

It is scalable enough.

We have 1,000 users in our organization who are using Jira.

We plan to increase our usage.

Before Jira, we did not use any other solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward, nothing out of the norm.

We had a perpetual license but have changed to a subscription.

We are not satisfied with the pricing. It has become more expensive.

We would prefer it to be cheaper.

We evaluated other solutions before choosing Jira. We chose Jira because it is widely used.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.