Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Owner at a media company with 51-200 employees
Good sprint-management functionality and offers many configuration options
  • "The most valuable feature is working with sprints and having the ability to create sprints."
  • "The sprint-related graphics need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira to manage our development sprints.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is working with sprints and having the ability to create sprints. You can create and move onto the next one.

Also, for example, while I don't use a lot of plugins, when you have a ticket then all of the information you can put into it is centralized.

There are so many opportunities that you can create almost anything.

What needs improvement?

The sprint-related graphics need to be improved.

They are using story points for the sprint breakdown graphics. When you have five large stories with several story points, in the first week of the sprint, nothing gets done. This means that you have a flat line and then, in the end, all of the stories are done at the same time. So, we created all of the graphics but they were useless because it was just a horizontal line and then at the end of the sprint it dropped down to zero points. Basically, it was a square.

In the next release, I would like to see a good graph that takes into count what you put into your stories.

I have worked with Jira, on and off for four or five years. I last used it in April, a few months ago. I have always been working with the latest versions.

Jira
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution.

Jira is scalable, but you will need knowledge of every team because in every organization you have several teams that work differently.

You need to understand and know how to scale and be prepared.

It doesn't require many people to maintain Jira.

You can configure a lot yourself, depending on how many rights you get in the application.

If you have enough rights, you will have a lot of opportunities to configure it in the way you like.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using Jira because you can do a lot with it. However, I think that as you start working, you should start small. Work with it and try to configure things that you really need.

Involve the whole team in what you are going to use and how you're going to use it.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Development Team Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Highly flexible, simple to understand, and beneficial ticket tracking
  • "Jira's most valuable features are ease of use, simple to understand, and highly flexible. Additionally, you can use kanban or scrum which is a benefit."
  • "The reports in Jira can be improved, especially for test reports. I find it difficult to customize and integrate for different testing purposes."

What is our primary use case?

I use Jira for user stories, tasks, bugs, track releases, track backlogs issues, burndown, and test reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira has helped our company because it is easy to track releases and deployments. It is easy to track which tickets have been done or are still pending and left to be completed.

What is most valuable?

Jira's most valuable features are ease of use, simple to understand, and highly flexible. Additionally, you can use kanban or scrum which is a benefit.

What needs improvement?

The out-of-the-box version of Jira has minimal to no testing functionality. I have to use Zephyr to be able to track testing. The time logging is also not easy to use, or user-friendly.

In the next release of Jira, there should be test cases in the test reports. Better burndown and burnup reports should be enhanced. Additionally, the usability of time logging could be better.

I have been using Jira for seven years.

Jira is stable and reliable, we have not had an issue.

I have found Jira scalable.

We have approximately 50 people using the solution in my organization.

I use the solution extensively in my organization, I use it daily.

I have not contacted support from Jira.

When I came to this company I had already used Jira. Previously, I was using quality control from Quality Center and Azure DevOps.

The initial setup was straightforward overall. The process takes only 10 to 15 minutes. However, the setup could improve.

We did the implementation of the solution in-house.

We have two administrators that do the patching and maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Jira to others.

I would advise others to be sure to do the reports correctly because there can be some challenges in reporting and in the testing phase.

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Google
Jira
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mathias Florian - PeerSpot reviewer
Business developer at Bat.IT
Data functionality is easy to understand
  • "The most valuable feature is that it has different APIs available, with good services, and it is completely by the books."
  • "The features are not intuitive. It would be good if there were templates."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization is a software development company. We serve financial institutes that have between 8,000 and 13,000 employees.

We use Jira for process automation and as a workflow engine on the client's side. For example, a customer can fill out a form and ask a question, which is operated by Jira, and someone will be prompted to contact you with the answer. We created the forms designer and the roof engine and handle the process with the customer contact.

We are using Jira for automatic tools, so it is run on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it has different APIs available, with good services, and it is completely by the books.

What needs improvement?

Jira could improve the documents management level. Our customers compare it to Office 365 and Sharepoint Online. They are focused on versioning of the document; Jira is missing this in their environment. It is missing functions for collaboration, like instant messaging. Currently, we try to connect the systems, we use Jira workflow which is connected to Office 365.

Jira is trying to push for the online version, however, our customers are not ready to do that due to safety concerns.

The features are not intuitive. It would be good if there were templates.

I have been using Jira for eight years.

Stability at the beginning had some troubles, but it is okay now. To maintain a large network, we divide it between operations and development. We have approximately six people involved.

Jira is scalable.

The initial setup depends on the project. Smaller projects where we are using minimal functionality can be quite simple. On the other hand, we have a monthly deployment process where we extend the solution, which is a complicated process because it's running a system with a lot of users.

Pricing of licensing is too high.

What other advice do I have?

From a user perspective, Jira is simple to understand if they use its data functionality. If you want to extend it to custom feeds then you need further education.

If you are considering Jira, take a look at the online versioning and online pricing.

I would rate Jira an 8 out of 10.

HeshamFouad - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality and Technical Support Department Manager at dsquares
Easy to deploy and reasonably priced but not very user-friendly
  • "It's easy to deploy."
  • "Once the solution is deployed, it's not easy to configure."

What is most valuable?

It's scalable.

It's easy to deploy.

The cost of the solution seems to be reasonable.

What needs improvement?

Once the solution is deployed, it's not easy to configure. If you have a lot of capability, it's very dynamic from the back end. Therefore, when setting up the workflows, it can be a little bit complex. We did a lot of functions on managing the development and that's why maybe it's a little bit complex. Basically, in order to design a workflow in Jira, it's not a straightforward task.

From a feature perspective, not much is missing. However, they need to put some investment into the user experience. It needs to be easier to use, more friendly, especially on the configuration part. It's a hassle. You need to deal with a high learning curve in order to understand how it's configured and how it can work.

We've used the solution for more than eight years now.

The solution is scalable.

We have more than 50 people using Jira at this time.

We do plan to increase usage. We are growing. Since we are growing, we are increasing Jira as each member on the technology team needs an account for development, business analysis, or testing.

While the initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward, handling the configurations and the workflows can be complex.

I didn't attend this in the development phase. In testing, I did the same effort and it took me a month to set up while I was deploying a test stream. I worked on the testing workflow as well, the defect workflow. That said, I don't know how long it takes for them to configure Jira.

We handled the setup in-house.

The licensing is per unit. My understanding is that it is pretty affordable. However, I don't directly deal with licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user.

From a testing point of view, I would rate it at a six out of ten. I use it as a defect management tool, and it, for me, it's not easy to use.

Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Defines how we track time and permissions; we can create multiple boards
  • "We can create multiple boards for the same product backlogs."
  • "Not very intuitive for project admins."

What is our primary use case?

My people use ASS. I can define spins, I can define roadmaps, I can define components, I can do releases, I can define all kinds of issue types, heartbeats, some of those things. I'm using it for both business and software. In software we have Scrum and Kanban onboard, whereas for business we have the service and then there are those other options. We have multiple use cases. I'm the director of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like almost everything about Jira. It defines how we track time and the way we define permissions. We can create multiple boards for the same product backlogs.

What needs improvement?

I think that for users the solution is very intuitive but for project administrators, the way the product is defined is not very intuitive. There are too many ways to do the same thing. The setup of Jira sometimes becomes very, very cumbersome and difficult. It's not very easy for people on the project admins to really understand how to set up the product because of these features. If they were better organized and the documentation improved so that people would actually be able to figure out how to use Jira, that would be helpful. There are not many videos and it can be very challenging for anybody not familiar with the product. There are 50 users on the project I'm working on.

I've been using this solution on and off for the last eight years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We haven't really used technical support.

The initial setup takes a bit of time because it has so many features that you should be aware of, but of course it provides a lot of out of the box features that you can use right away. You can set up in 10 minutes or 10 days, it's very rich. I was able to do the deployment myself with some extra help.

For up to 10 users, the solution is free but above that there are licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

User at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good analytics and dashboards, and is great for team collaboration and task management
  • "I like it for team collaboration and task management. I also like its analytics and dashboards."
  • "In Jira Cloud, integration with Excel is missing. Previously, I could import our Excel files into Jira, and I could also download a big Jira report in the Excel format, but now, it needs to be manipulated after that, which is not good. It looks like they've done that on purpose, but I don't understand the reason for it."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for project organization, workflow, and team collaboration.

What is most valuable?

I like it for team collaboration and task management. I also like its analytics and dashboards.

It is easy to use. Our junior people find it easy to create tasks in Jira. It is intuitive if you've been using similar products.

What needs improvement?

Their support should be improved. They should be faster and more knowledgeable.

In Jira Cloud, integration with Excel is missing. Previously, I could import our Excel files into Jira, and I could also download a big Jira report in the Excel format, but now, it needs to be manipulated after that, which is not good. It looks like they've done that on purpose, but I don't understand the reason for it.

I have been using this solution for 10 years. I have used it in different companies.

It seems stable to me.

It is scalable. It can cover many projects and a lot of job delegations.

We are a company of 2,000 people, but we all don't use Jira. All IT departments use Jira and Confluence together. They are always paired together because documentation is important.

Their support, in general, could be better. In my recent experience, people who were allocated were slow, and they didn't have the knowledge. They ask you to read the help and documentation about an issue and do self-service.

We also have Teams because it is given to us, but we don't use it because it doesn't have that richness, and it lacks the features that people need. It's very light for task management.

For me, it is straightforward.

We have a corporate license, and it is probably based on the number of people.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It gives you the best if you investigate a little bit and maximize your use by using all the features.

I would rate it an eight out of 10 because of the support.

Middle Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of plugins, stable, and good support
  • "There are a lot of plugins in Jira and we purchase the ones we need."
  • "Jira can improve by making user management better. It is not easy to have visibility of who has the right to do what. Only the administrator has this visibility but there should be the option for other users too."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for project management for the development teams. Additionally, we do backtracking and managing the backlog but it is more of a development team tool.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of plugins in Jira and we purchase the ones we need.

What needs improvement?

I have used Jira for approximately 10 years.

We have never had an issue with the stability of the solution.

We have approximately 400 people using the solution in my organization.

The support from Jira is good.

The configuration can be complicated, there are a lot of options.

We have a technical team that does the implementation and maintenance of the solutuon.

The basic price of Jira is reasonable, but for each plugin, we have to keep paying more. When you add it all up, it can be expensive. The main problem we face is we are forced to purchases plugin licenses for users who are not going to use them. For example, we have Jira licenses for approximately 450 people but if we only want a purchase a plugin for few people it is mandatory to buy the license for the 450 people who have Jira licensees. This is a problem because sometimes we need plugins for the product manager or for people in charge of the report, not everyone. For us, it can be very expensive in the end, they should alter this policy to allow plugins for only a set number of licenses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement Jira is to have a lot of support. In our company, we started out small with only approximately 25 people and then we expanded quickly. Jira can be complex to manage, and it is better to have some advice or some people to help with the implementation.

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Filipe Carlos - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager / Owner at Wintrust Financial
Reliable and flexible work management tool with responsive support
  • "Work management software that has the flexibility to be configured for any company. It's stable, scalable, and offers responsive support."
  • "An area for improvement in Jira is that it's not designed for test management. To use it for test management, you need an add-on or several add-ons, e.g. Xray or Zephyr."

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Jira is that it's flexible. It has the flexibility to be configured for any company.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in Jira is that it's not designed for test management. To use it for test management, you need an add-on or several add-ons, e.g. the most popular is Xray, or you can add Zephyr.

An additional feature I'd like to see included in the next release of the solution is the check in and check out feature for the test assets.

My team and I are currently dealing with Jira.

Jira is a stable solution.

I find Jira scalable.

The solution is very reliable, so support is not contacted often, but they are responsive.

Deployment of Jira can be completed within a few days. The number of people you use for its deployment still depends on the company size, but on average, you can use from one to two people for deployment, per week.

I was able to evaluate Micro Focus ALM.

What other advice do I have?

I'm at a professional service company, and I'm the manager, so I don't work with any solution, e.g. my team works with the solutions. My team works with Jira plus Xray, then Azure DevOps, and Micro Focus ALM.

Micro Focus ALM is a very powerful solution, because you can link from the requirements to the test plan and the test lab. In the test lab, you can aggregate the test cases that you want to execute, including defect management. You can incorporate all these into a release, and inside this release, you can have several execution cycles. I'm referring to the functions of all the assets, e.g. functional testing. Jira doesn't have versioning, compared to Micro Focus ALM, so you can have different and fresh versions of the same asset. You can do that using different names, but Jira is not as well-designed as ALM.

I'm rating Jira an eight out of ten.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022