Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Very good capabilities and workflow administration is simple
  • "Workflow administration is an easy process, especially with respect to defects."
  • "End-to-end management from product backlog to test completion could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

As a lead consultant, I assess the testing maturity and suggest how our clients can improve what they're doing. I also carry out training sessions for Jira and other solutions as to how they can effectively use the solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease with which we can do our workflow administration, especially with respect to defects. We can do good work with the boards, whether it's a Kanban or a Scrum board. It's much easier with Jira than with other tools.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved with respect to how the end-to-end is managed from product backlog creation until test completion. Although it can be customized, if there was a standard out-of-view box feature or a workflow, that would be helpful. There are features that are currently not out of the box and lack end-to-end traceability, such as the business value of a particular feature. It would be great if that were included.

I've been using this solution for over two and a half years.

Jira
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is stable.

We are currently working with an enterprise client and we are able to scale easily.

Jira's technical support is good.

I previously used HP ALM, as well as TestRail, which is now focused more on test management. ALM was the major tool that I used before we started using Jira.

The licensing costs are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

This tool has good capabilities but you really need to know what you want to do and freeze down your requirements before using it. It can be challenging when people don't understand the difference between Kanban and Scrum, and how you use those boards effectively.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Head of .NET Department at Evozon Systems
MSP
It allows you to customize the flow for an agile process and adapt it to your own flow
  • "I like that Jira allows you to customize the flow for an agile process and adapt it to your own flow."
  • "Of course, the price could always be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Jira is used for issue tracking and defining the development pipeline. It's helpful to define when a project is done and track a task as it moves through different stages. The deployment type varies based on the customer's environment. We sometimes connect to the client's setup, which can be in the cloud or on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I like that Jira allows you to customize the flow for an agile process and adapt it to your own flow.

We've used Jira for around 10 years.

We evaluated Jira for security and stability, and everything went well.

Jira performs well and scales up enough to meet our needs. We probably have about 200 users, so we don't need more than what it offers.

We used a solution called Mantis a long time ago. We're a software outsourcing company, so we adapt to our clients' setup. Plus, Jira serves our needs well, so it made sense for us to work with that. We don't recommend anything else. We use Azure DevOps, Jira, and Confluence on our projects. If it's not in Microsoft, then it's Jira and Confluence.

Deployment isn't something I handle personally. Our DevOps department does that, or it's installed by the client, so I'm not dealing with it either way. One engineer is enough to deploy.

I don't know the price of all the setups. Our clients pay for the setup, so our Jira users are covered by them. Of course, the price could always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Jira
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stable, competitive price, and easy to deploy and use
  • "It is easy to deploy in the cloud and other environments. It is also easy to view the reports of the sprint review or the sprint plan and the relation between the backlog and the repositories."
  • "I am not sure if Jira can be integrated with our ERP. We have our ERP for the cost estimates or measurements. It would be nice if we can check or view a plan with the real cost. Currently, we have to do a double check of costs. It would be better to be able to integrate it with Jira."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for project management and agile scrum projects. I am a manager, and I work with backlog tools and sprint plans. I only use Jira for backlogs, sprint reviews, and data reports. Our project manager is the person who is really working with Jira along with the team. We also have Confluence and Bitbucket. We use CloudBees and DevOps for the deployment of the environment.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to deploy in the cloud and other environments. It is also easy to view the reports of the sprint review or the sprint plan and the relation between the backlog and the repositories.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if Jira can be integrated with our ERP. We have our ERP for the cost estimates or measurements. It would be nice if we can check or view a plan with the real cost. Currently, we have to do a double check of costs. It would be better to be able to integrate it with Jira.

I have been using Jira for almost one year.

I don't work too much with Jira. I use it only to see the reports, and I don't feel that there are many bugs. It is stable.

It is not too expensive. It is just comparative to other tools like Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are interested in migrating to Jira and using it as our internal tool for agile projects and for controlling the IT software development cycle for projects like consulting or API. It will be more used for agile projects. It is a good tool. We also have the latest version of Microsoft Teams, but it is limited. It is better to use Jira.

I would rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Manager, PMO at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intuitive dashboards with good visibility, stable, and easy to set up
  • "The dashboards are useful."
  • "For a non-technical person to use, Jira is not intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for task tracking, sprint planning, and backlog.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards are useful. You have visibility across projects and various dashboards.

The status of the different activities is also helpful

What needs improvement?

In general, it is not user-friendly.

For a non-technical person to use, Jira is not intuitive. If you are a developer it's fine, but we are trying to get other technical people in to look at tasks or to update a task, move it from one sprint to another sprint and it takes more effort than I would like.

I would just like to see it easier to use, and I would like the workflows to be less complex to do what we need them to do.

My experience with Jira is limited, but the organization has been using Jira for three years.

We are using the latest version.

Jira is stable. to my knowledge, we have not had any issues with bugs or glitches.

The scalability can be complex if you are using workflows.

We have approximately 20 developers and some managers in our organization who use Jira.

I have not yet used Jira technical support.

Previously, we did not use another solution. We started with Jira.

Along with Jira, we use Microsoft Azure DevOps.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

It was fairly simple for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend getting sound knowledge first. It is difficult to go back later to fix things, so try to build it right the first time.

For the functionality that exists, I think that it's good.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
reviewer1740093 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Valuable links between tickets, good performance, but lacking integration
  • "The links between tickets are very valuable and the boards I found to be configurable and usable. The boards allow some level of extended configuration and they can be customized according to our project needs. Additionally, it is easy to use."
  • "I'm mostly focusing on the requirements traceability with my thesis, the integration could improve for other tools. The companies are not only using Jira. For example, for the test cases or for the documents templates, we are using Polarion and we have been having some integration issues."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira mostly for the workflow dashboards for our projects. For example, for now, we are using the Kanban boards at team levels and also between team cooperation levels.

What is most valuable?

The links between tickets are very valuable and the boards I found to be configurable and usable.  The boards allow some level of extended configuration and they can be customized according to our project needs. Additionally, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I'm mostly focusing on the requirements traceability with my thesis, the integration could improve for other tools. The companies are not only using Jira. For example, for the test cases or for the documents templates, we are using Polarion and we have been having some integration issues.

I have been using Jira for approximately four years.

Jira is easy to scale. We are implementing it for our team and for other teams, such as the relations teams. If you look at the different levels, such as the coordination levels, we are using it extensively on a daily basis.

In my team, we have less than 100 users using this solution but we also have other teams in our large company that could be using the solution. Our company has thousands of employees.

I have not contacted support.

The initial setup of Jira is straightforward.

We have a team in my organization that specifically handles the support of Jira.

The stability and performance are good, I have not had any complaints from people using Jira.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Jira to others.

I have not used many tools to compare Jira with.

I rate Jira a seven out of ten.

Radek Zajicek - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at a printing company with 1-10 employees
I can easily define and customize the search queries, and I haven't seen any outages in the last five years

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for software development tracking, bug tracking, feature tracking, and so on.

We are using the cloud version from Atlassian, and we have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The way we can define and customize the search queries for the tickets in Jira is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The way to configure it can definitely be improved. It is very difficult and complex to configure. Its configuration should be simplified.

I don't have any requirements for new features. It is a standard system, and we use just a part of the functionality.

I have been using this solution for five to ten years. I use it on a daily basis.

Its stability is good. In the last five years, I haven't seen any outages.

We are a very small team, and we don't have any requirements for scalability.

I have not contacted their technical support.

The initial setup and the out-of-box features and functions are very straightforward. I would rate it a five out of five in terms of ease. You can just create an account and start to use it.

It is a cloud solution offered by Atlassian. There is no on-premises setup, and it doesn't require any maintenance from our side.

It is subscription-based, and we probably pay yearly. I would rate it a four out of five in terms of price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Other
Owner at TRS
Feature-rich, complete, stable, and easy to administer
  • "It is a complete solution. It has more features as compared to other tools, especially the open-source one that we use. It is also easy to administer."
  • "Based on the feedback from my admin, it is sometimes difficult to find some of the features. It is not a big deal, but its configuration interface can be improved to make it easy to find things."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because it comes with some of the products that we are using. It is a part of the package. Our usage is quite basic, and we have not finished exploring and deploying the whole solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete solution. It has more features as compared to other tools, especially the open-source one that we use. It is also easy to administer.

What needs improvement?

Based on the feedback from my admin, it is sometimes difficult to find some of the features. It is not a big deal, but its configuration interface can be improved to make it easy to find things.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable.

We have not deployed it on a very large scale. For now, we have ten users, and it is mostly used for our internal things, but from next week, we're opening it for the community. We'll have a broader experience of the product.

We haven't used their technical support so far.

I have not heard of any complaints about the installation. It takes almost half a day to install. It took some time to configure it for different tools that we use, but the installation was straightforward. There is enough documentation for its installation.

We did it on our own. I only have one admin guy for its deployment.

We are a regional research and education institute. We're using the free license provided for educational institutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Senior Software Engineering Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable, good technical support, but more reports needed
  • "I have found Jira to be scalable."
  • "We have gone through several version changes and some of those changes have not been intuitive. There was a learning curve and we had some complaints internally about the changes, such as the new interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for ticket management.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped my companies efficiency with managing tickets throughout the life cycle.

What needs improvement?

We have gone through several version changes and some of those changes have not been intuitive. There was a learning curve and we had some complaints internally about the changes, such as the new interface.

The solution could improve the Agile reports. They do have quite a bit of reports already, but additional reports would be a benefit.

I have used Jira within the past 12 months.

Jira is stable.

I have found Jira to be scalable.

We have a few hundreds using Jira in my organization. They consist of developers, project managers, and testers.

Whether we increase usage of the solution depends on what each team wants to do. There is some level of common solution approach, but I don't know for sure whether this is the direction that everybody is wanting to adopt.

We had to reach out to their support a few times. The support was good, I did not have any issues with them.

The initial setup was not difficult.

We have an IT team that supports the solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is to utilize the SaaS solution unless it is required not to. Having your own instance running in your data center or private cloud requires your own staff and resources to maintain and upkeep. It can be quite time-consuming work. Unless you are invested in something like that, there is a benefit of just using a SaaS solution.

I rate Jira a seven out of ten.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022