IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Programmer Analyst at Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
Very good RPA, and lots of documentation but needs to be more mature
  • "The RPA robotic process automation is a good feature. We can make a flow within a flow. We just made a UI flow. The flow is to run every day so far it's been quite helpful."
  • "Tech support could be more hands-on. Right now, they simply direct users to documentation instead of directly dealing with issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for testing. For example, we made a website solution and we're open to trying new things because it's not on production yet. We use your flows in order to make some data automation. We fill our flows with some data and test to see if it's all correct.

What is most valuable?

The RPA robotic process automation is a good feature. We can make a flow within a flow. We just made a UI flow. The flow is to run every day so far it's been quite helpful. There's good Microsoft documentation that makes setup easy.

What needs improvement?

I am now a member of the digital transformation team, so we are making various products. We are just making the new projects, and developing them in the store. However, everything is new to us. We have are not working with this tool for more than six months. Therefore, it's hard to really know how well it works or what is lacking. The solution needs more features so that it can better compete with competitors that have been on the market longer and are more mature. Tech support could be more hands-on. Right now, they simply direct users to documentation instead of directly dealing with issues.

We've only just started using the solution. We have been using it for six months so far. It's been less than a year.
Microsoft Power Automate
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the solution is quite good. We're not in production, so we can't verify it 100% as we're just testing its capabilities. It's a rather new tool as well, so I don't know how much it's been tried and tested overall. However, overall, from what I've witnessed, it's been good.

The solution is quite new, both for us and on the market. I can't speak to the scalability as we haven't tried to scale it, and I don't know if many companies have really tried. Although we have about 1,500 employees, we're still testing the solution, so not everyone has access to the product. Maybe five or six of us are actually on it and trying it out. We're all programmers.

As a developer, I can open a ticket with Microsoft, even though our DBA did teach us a lot about the solution. There's a lot of documentation and support online, so there's rarely a reason to have to actually open a ticket. So far, we've been satisfied with the arrangement, although, for the most part, their assistance is simply directing users to specific documentation.

Currently, we're just testing this solution, however, our organization is also using UiPath.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's rather straightforward. You can just follow the documentation provided. Microsoft makes it very easy.

The solution is offered as part of a larger Microsoft license. It came as a solution in a bigger package. I'm not sure what the exact cost of it it, as it's not my area of expertise.

What other advice do I have?

We have the Microsoft Dynamics Customer Enterprise license, and that covers for Automate and VI. Right now, we are doing some tests. We're just working with four workflows. We're just really starting and haven't begun any big projects yet. We have 15 ongoing small projects. I'm not sure of the exact version we are using. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We're still testing it in production. We need more time with it to really get a sense of what it can do.

Safety, occupational health and environment at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly with good stability and good online documentation
  • "The tool is very good at implementing automation within processes. It's saved us from doing a lot of manual processes."
  • "I've had issues with reordering columns. When I tried to do it, it seemed to take a long time, and then, later, it gave me some kind of error."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently exploring the solution. We're doing some planning and testing. We're looking at data transformation and flows.

How has it helped my organization?

There's the potential to save a lot of time by reducing the time it takes to do processes. It may even save us costs.

We're looking to monitor more projects in the future, however, right now, we're mostly in the testing phase.

What is most valuable?

The tool is very good at implementing automation within processes. It's saved us from doing a lot of manual processes.

The tool is very effective.

The features on offer are very good.

The product gives us a lot of very useful metrics that we can use.

The entire solution is extremely user-friendly.

There's good documentation online and I find the solution offers pretty good overall communications.

What needs improvement?

There are some gaps and a few areas of the solution that are still a bit complicated and confusing.

I've had issues with reordering columns. When I tried to do it, it seemed to take a long time, and then, later, it gave me some kind of error.

We've only been using the solution for the last two months or so.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues in that sense. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. It's been good.

I'd say the solution can scale. We haven't had any issues in that sense. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

In our case, right now the users are minimal. We have maybe five users in total. Some are in IT and a few are in other departments.

We likely need support at this time. Mostly we've been dealing with online assistance and documentation. We're testing the product. To get it up and running, we'll likely need some help and may need to reach out to technical support to get asssitance.

The initial setup isn't as straightforward as we hoped it would be. We had some issues specifically with the initial configuration. It was a bit difficult.

Deployment times vary. For us, it might have taken about four weeks or so.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We did a bit of research and tried to tackle it internally. It was just to get started. When we do a bit more of a complicated setup, we will get some consultants to help us with the process.

I'm not sure of the cost of this solution. Licensing and billing are not aspects of the product I deal with at this time.

While we know there are other tools on the market, currently, we're just playing with this particular tool to see what we can do.

We have looked at UiPath, however, we haven't tried implementing it yet. We just know it is an option.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with Azure

I'm using the platform from the desktop version coming with Microsoft 365. I assume it's the latest version of the solution.

Based on our preliminary usage, I do recommend the solution. It is easy to start with and to try out. It's pretty user-friendly and, and there's so much documentation on how to use it. There is other information about use cases as well and some pretty good videos on how to do certain things. The community seems to be pretty strong, which is helpful for when you are starting out.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Power Automate
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Product Manager Data Science at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Comes with many capabilities and phenomenal support, and allows us to trigger a workflow at a certain time or when an event happens
  • "Different trigger events were most valuable. You could schedule a process on a recurring basis, at a certain time of day or week, or when something happens, which is huge."
  • "Their connector to Oracle or premium data sets that aren't Microsoft would often fail for me. The information given back about why it failed wasn't always robust to understand how to fix it and why it happened."

What is our primary use case?

We held a hiring event specifically for veterans. All the people who were registering were external to our organization, so we had them fill out a Microsoft form, which then triggered an email, took all their information, and stored it into a SharePoint list. This list fed a Power App, and we were able to:

• Check members in whenever they arrived.
  • Capture extra details about them.
  • Pass the information onto hiring managers whenever a hiring manager was interested in an individual applicant or somebody who showed up.

In another use case, we used it to track the vaccination status of all employees. There were about 90,000 employees. If they scheduled it, it would trigger reminders whenever an employee's vaccination was coming up.

How has it helped my organization?

We set up a process to monitor Twitter so that whenever specific hashtags that we cared about were used, the whole record of what was tweeted out was captured and stored into a SharePoint list because it was free and easy to analyze as well. That has helped. Event triggers, several different connections, and what you can do with the information once you have it have been very helpful.

We also used it as a one-time solution in a scenario where records were captured in a Power App, and oftentimes, those records, which were almost like medical records, would need to go to another team one at a time. We used Power Automate to capture all the information that was stored in Oracle. From the record, it would put the information into a Word document, convert the Word document to a PDF, and then email the PDF off to the team. All that was done behind the scenes with the user clicking one button. It was great.

What is most valuable?

Different trigger events were most valuable. You could schedule a process on a recurring basis, at a certain time of day or week, or when something happens, which is huge.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, Power Automate's flow would turn off when it got fired incorrectly or misfired, but we didn't always get a notification of when it was turned off, and that was a problem.

I have been working with this solution since October of 2019.

It can scale. We used it to track vaccinations for 90,000 employees.

I did deal with their tech support, and they were phenomenal. Their support person taught us the whole process of how to take a record, put it into a Word document template that you can customize, turn it into a PDF, and then send that email off. He was phenomenal.

It was straightforward for the most part. Once you do it a couple of times, it becomes more intuitive. There are so many different YouTube videos or resources on Google to be able to figure out how to do something, what are you doing wrong, or how you can work around an issue.

In terms of maintenance, everything that I did was more of a one-off solution. It was me and one other person who would maintain an individual Power Automate statement.

What other advice do I have?

There are so many different capabilities with it. I would advise mapping out your capability, usage, or whatever it is that you want it to do. After that, start to create and go from there.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Advisory Council Member at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A great solution for simple automation activities, but quite complex to use for advanced workflows or automation
  • "It is a great solution for simple automation activities or simple automation of simple tasks. It is also integrated with Office 365. Integration is an absolute breeze with any RPA software."
  • "We expect Microsoft Power Automate to work like any other RPA software, but at present, it is fairly lax, especially in the RPA space. We have a very limited set of use cases today for Microsoft Power Automate. Microsoft should make it a full-featured RPA product like other solutions that we use, such as Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism, and UiPath. This is predominantly the area that they need to improve on. Microsoft Power Automate is quite complex to use as well, especially if you want to do advanced workflows or advanced automation. The regular simple workflows are quite easy and straightforward, but the moment you want to do something complex, it is almost impossible for one of our employees to work on it."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Power Automate is a part of the Office 365 environment. Currently, 5% to 7% of our 19,000 employees use Microsoft Power Automate. It has already been connected to all the applications that our employees use, such as Outlook, SharePoint, OneDrive, and the ecosystem of applications that come with Microsoft Office. This is one of the primary reasons for using this solution. We are also using it for workflow approval and automated signature use cases to deploy a digital signature solution for some documents. It is all automated, from the client all the way to signing and storing the documents.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We expect Microsoft Power Automate to work like any other RPA software, but at present, it is fairly lax, especially in the RPA space. We have a very limited set of use cases today for Microsoft Power Automate. Microsoft should make it a full-featured RPA product like other solutions that we use, such as Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism, and UiPath. This is predominantly the area that they need to improve on.

We have been using Microsoft Power Automate for about a year or so now. We are using the latest version.

It is absolutely stable.

It is definitely not scalable because we don't see this kind of use case. Scaling comes with the flexibility to use it everywhere, but we don't see that flexibility today. Therefore, scalability is definitely a question. We hope to see the product improve so that we can scale it, but today, we really can't do so.

We don't usually call Microsoft for anything. There is absolutely no need for technical support. It is relatively easy.

There is no installation because it is a part of our size offering purchase from Microsoft Office, so it was relatively straightforward to install.

Microsoft deployed it for us, and they had a fairly large team. It took a long time, but I don't think it generally takes a long time. We had a very large deployment for around 19,000 employees. When I say deploy, I specifically speak of Office 365, which is the installation of Microsoft Office on these 19,000 end-user computing devices at the same time by using a new Active Directory. If you are specifically talking about deploying in Office 365 or Power Automate alone, it can be done in a matter of hours. You would need only one person to deploy it.

There is zero licensing cost. It comes with our Microsoft Office subscription.

We use both Automation Anywhere and Microsoft Power Automate.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for simple automation. We plan to continue using this solution if it gets better in terms of use cases, features, and scalability. It needs a full check-up in terms of functionality to be a fully functional RPA.

I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Geroge Tzifas - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Operating Officer at NGMROBOTICS LTD
Easy to set up, stable, and very easy to use
  • "The initial setup isn't too difficult."
  • "Technical support needs to be able to respond quickly to queries. Right now, they are much too slow."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are in an active search with a provider for on-premise, and therefore we use it to automate our process of moving our permits to electric housing and preparations.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution for building processors and it's really easy to use for this task. It gives you another way to move the path.

With Microsoft, there are a lot of great process management tools.

The initial setup isn't too difficult.

What needs improvement?

The availability could be a bit better.

I'd like it if it were possible to have the solution as an on-premises installation, however, that is not possible. It only is available on the cloud.

I've been working with the solution for the last six or seven months. It's been less than a year at this point. We haven't used it for very long yet.

Power Automate, compared to Softomotive's product, offers the most in terms of versatility. Stability is not an issue. It has been very good for this product. We did not have that kind of problem with our customers or any installation. We don't seem to have to deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We're happy with it.

At the moment, we have 80 professional developers on our team that work with the product. On top of that, we have various companies that use it. We have 50 or so different customers using the cloud.

We use the product regularly. We're on it on a daily basis.

Scalability is very, very easy to accomplish. If a company needs to expand the solution, it can do so easily.

The solution's technical support isn't that great. They could be better. They're slow to respond when there are issues. They really need to be faster in this regard.

We also work with Softomotive WinAutomation as well as ProcessRobot. Using more than one solution allows us to cross-manage better.

The initial implementation wasn't too hard, or, at least, that was my understanding. I didn't directly participate. However, I did not notice the team dealing with any complexity. It's pretty straightforward. Any organization shouldn't have too many problems setting it up.

The maintenance of the license is largely handled by Microsoft. We handle everything else.

We handled the implementation in house. We did not need outside help and we did not hire an integrator or consultant or any person of that nature. We handle the implementation for the customers if we need to.

The licensing itself isn't that great. That said, the solution is very cheap. It's on the lower end in terms of price, if you look at the entire market. It's rather affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We're Microsoft partners.

We're using the latest version of the solution right now.

I would definitely recommend the product to other organizations. Overall, we've been pretty happy with it, even though we haven't used it for too long.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Srenivasan Kannan - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Lacking some features and not suitable for enterprise use; automation is good
  • "Automation is the best feature of the product."
  • "Not suitable for connecting other applications like browsers and third party applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators so we provide this solution and deal with the automation for our clients. Power Automate is mainly suitable for small and medium size companies.

What is most valuable?

Power Automate is good for automation. For example, if a client requires a format for invoices, we set up the module - invoice number, container, quantity, product details. After that, whenever we load bulk invoices, it automatically identifies the invoice format and accepts the data. This is one of the best features of the product.

What needs improvement?

Power Automate is not suitable for connecting other applications like browsers and third party applications and there are a few features not available on this solution. They are working on improving that. Power Automate cannot handle high end projects and, from a developer's perspective, it's a little difficult for enterprise size companies.

We are partners with Microsoft and I'm a technology lead.

It's a reasonably stable product but because it's a new tool they need to keep working on it. If you're a small setup, and you need it for Excel or Word or some desktop kind of access, it will be stable. But if you're looking for web automation it's not currently suitable.

This is a scalable solution.

We have tried to contact technical support many times, but there is no way to contact or reach out to the Microsoft team. We recently had many questions on Power Automate so I tried the Winautomation but there are many activities that are missing and there are bugs in it. We also had an issue with the ongoing live projects. We developed the project in Winautomation and they were later converted into Power Automate. Winautomation isn't working so we need to migrate all the projects which is a complicated process and requires reworking. We can't get any help from them and that's a problem.

It's very easy to set up because it only requires downloading one xFi file from Power Automate. It then automatically connects with an email account and the solution is automatically synced with that email account. From the customer's perspective, there is no maintenance. As the service provider, whenever new features are included, we update it for our clients.

Compared to other automation tools, Power Automate is very cheap although the price has increased recently.

We also integrate UiPath for our clients. This solution offers regular updates and is more mature than Power Automate. Each month they release a new module. Initially, they were only accessing desktop and web applications, Word and Outlook, those kind of things. Nowadays, UiPath has all the features connected to the cloud, whether it's Azure or Google. They are trying to automate everything and they're working on all this because of AI. When choosing a product for our clients, we take numerous variables into account. If you're offering all the features in your tool and the cost is reasonable, we're likely to choose it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure I would recommend this product now, perhaps in a year or two when the solution is more stable. We struggled with a project recently and that was difficult.

I rate the solution a five out of 10.

Business consultant, Head of RPA Solutions at Bsynchro Sal
Enables us to alleviate customer pain points by automating their data entry processes and enhancing archiving capabilities
  • "The program requires no code making it very easy to implement various functions."
  • "During their merger, some key functions were eliminated which no longer allows it to run independently from the cloud as a standalone for other companies. For example, options to schedule and trigger have been removed. It would be nice to have these capabilities back. The flow and the connectivity between databases and so on is a bit complex as well."

What is our primary use case?

I am the head of RPA solutions at my company where we implement this product for our customers. These are insurance companies that have legacy systems and prefer to keep their RPA off the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

The product allows us to alleviate customer pain points by automating their data entry processes and enhancing archiving capabilities. We are able to minimize the delays of various claims and policies while improving data entry accuracy. We also offer them the ability to archive various communications to a variety of archiving portals such as SharePoint.

What is most valuable?

The program requires no code, making it very easy to implement various functions.

What needs improvement?

We were using Softomotive for approximately three years until they were purchased by Microsoft where it was then merged under the umbrella of Microsoft Power Automate and we have been using this since - it has been about a year and a half since the merger.

Overall, I would say that it is quite stable, but with the merger, we are not ready to move to the latest version until we can completely replace all of the old functions. I would say the product is 90% stable.

We require five team members to maintain the product and assist our clients.

The product is quite scalable. When considering extending more processes, features, machines, etc. it is a much cheaper and easier option.

We are still communicating with the Softomotive support team that we have been using prior to the merge and they are perfect. Microsoft is supportive as well.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward and easy, especially in comparison with other RPA's such as UiPath or Automation Anywhere.

We are able to see high returns thanks to having few machines with minimal implementation costs. We are able to present our clients with their ROI upon completion of each project and they see ROI's as soon as their first month.

This is the cheapest option among competitors.

You can choose to have the RPA with attendance at $40/month with add-on's totaling about $190. There are standalone options that require someone to run the process and there are fully automated options that are integrated within the cloud.

We were trying some open source solution, but it was not really reliable so we did not continue with it.

What other advice do I have?

The actions and functions are much easier than other competitors.

I would rate this product an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

GauravSatle - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead & Consultant at Tech Mahindra Limited
Simple interface that is easy to use, but integration with other applications should be easier
  • "It servers our purposes in bringing together all types of applications, being able to automate them with the right intelligent output from the data that we plugin."
  • "While using this solution, we found it to be basic."

What is our primary use case?

I was using this product to create a basic workflow and trying to integrate it with Outlook.

We use it along with Microsoft Power Apps to help identify and automate tasks. We have many tasks in Outlook, SharePoint, Calendar, and Teams, and we use Apps to manage the tasks.

We are also using a feature in Microsoft Power Apps, which is the productivity backup

What is most valuable?

It has some basic components that are able to communicate with different platforms within Microsoft.

The interface is simple and it's easy to use.

It servers our purposes in bringing together all types of applications, being able to automate them with the right intelligent output from the data that we plugin.

What needs improvement?

While using this solution, we found it to be basic.

The integration with other applications can be made simpler. That said, it has almost everything in it.

I have only been using Microsoft Power Automate for a couple of weeks.

We were using an older version. A version from when it was first released, to help with the learning process.

This a stable solution

Microsoft Power Automate is scalable. We have a very large organization with at least 70 people who are using this solution.

Recently we have engaged with Microsoft to conduct a four or six-week training period. During the training session, there were approximately 180 participants.

I have not contacted technical support from Microsoft.

They do have support on their website and have documentation available for learning through the portals, which is very helpful.

I have experience with UiPath for RPA. I am leading and heading a small team that is building automations, and we have been primarily working on UiPath for this.

The initial setup was simple.

It only took a few minutes to deploy.

I completed the installation on my system myself.

I am not aware of the recent pricing model, but during the time that I was using this solution is was reasonable.

They have certain options that are available at a minimal cost and I am sure that if you buy more components of the Power platform then there are certain pricing models that are catered to the needs of all kinds of companies.

What other advice do I have?

What happens in the Microsoft platform is that users cannot be self-sufficient with one product. You require Power Automate, PowerBI, Power Apps, and different components of the Power platform. If you have the entire set of applications then things become easy, and they can rate this tool highly. If, however, they don't have all of the tools, then the capability is reduced.

We have plans to continue using this solution in the future. We will continue by integrating all of the Microsoft components. This is very helpful, and we can also use different platforms for different clients.

This is definitely a product that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Power Automate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022