We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Enterprise Mobility Engineer at a outsourcing company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Lacking user-friendly, but has effective policy creation, and stable
  • "The conditional access policies that we set up are very useful."
  • "Microsoft Intune could improve by being more user-friendly and having it geared toward device management. The graphic interface is not very good."

What is our primary use case?

We switched to Office 365 applications and we already had an Office 365 license that covers Microsoft Intune. We decided to use Intune for our Mobile Application Management solution.

I only use Microsoft Intune for Mobile Application Management for the management of Office 365 apps. Additionally, we have Microsoft Intune integrated with Workspace ONE.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used conditional access policies to prevent users from copying internal resources or internal data to external devices. This has helped protect our organizations from being compromised.

What is most valuable?

The conditional access policies that we set up are very useful.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Intune could improve by being more user-friendly and having it geared toward device management. The graphic interface is not very good.

The VPN option within Intune is not as intuitive as the one available in Workspace ONE. We're trying to implement a VPN tunnel for SharePoint sites. This will allow users trying to access internal resources, such as SharePoint, and other Office 365 data, but it doesn't work as well as Workspace ONE.

We are in the POC stage of the VPN tunnel. We only have a development tenant for the tunnel. We plan is to implement that in production and get rid of Workspace ONE, if it meets our needs.

I have used Microsoft Intune within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

I have found Microsoft Intune to be scalable.

We have over 5,500 users using this solution.

The technical support from Microsoft could improve, it is not as good as the Workspace ONE support. It is difficult to contact Microsoft support.

I have used Workspace ONE, and I would highly recommend it over Microsoft Intune.

The initial setup was complex, and the full deployment took us one year.

We did the deployment ourselves. There is little maintenance required, we have to only update policies. We have a mobility architect that set up most of the backend and we did work with a Microsoft resource for this process.

I have received a return on investment, the solution is inexpensive.

There is a license required to use this solution. However, it was part of a bundle package.

Microsoft Intune is far less expensive than other solutions, such as Workspace ONE.

What other advice do I have?

We are only using Microsoft Intune because it came with our Office 365 license.

I rate Microsoft Intune a five out of ten.

SaravanaKumar
Solution architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good management and control of mobile devices, scales well and is stable.
  • "The performance of Microsoft Intune is good."
  • "More integration with monitoring tools is needed."

What is our primary use case?

Basically, the Intune solution is to provide services for MDM and mobile application management. In addition, support or ticket to control Windows 10 devices is provided.

We provide this solution to our clients.

What needs improvement?

More integration with monitoring tools is needed.

I have worked as a solution architect for Microsoft Intune, for the past six or seven years, and when you consider my overall experience, it is more than two decades.

On-premises is not absolute. You can integrate co-management, but you must first integrate with, ACCM. We are currently providing both solutions.

This is a stable solution. The performance of Microsoft Intune is good.

Microsoft Intune can be scalable.

As a solution architect, I have more than 50 customers.

I have not reached out to Microsoft's technical support. So far, we have not had to.

I am also familiar with CyberArk.

Intune is essentially a SaaS solution. Although Intune is a SaaS solution, it can be integrated with the ACCM. You can integrate a co-management solution in two modes, or you can integrate only the cloud. As a result, the cloud is mostly used by small and medium-sized businesses. However, for enterprise customers, we must use co-management, the team, the ACCM, and Intune.

Maintenance isn't that based on the volume. For example, if you want to go with 500 devices, you need to size the people accordingly. If you want to implement 5,000, 10,000, one lakh, or one million people, you must size the people accordingly. As a starting baseline, we need to assign one person to manage every 5,000 devices.

Every customer used to purchase licenses based on their needs.

They used to buy a license as part of a package, possibly on a yearly basis, but they never went for pay-as-you-go, but they used to buy for a year, three years, or something like that.

What other advice do I have?

Intune is the best, in my opinion. CyberArk is primarily used for identity purposes. For example, if you want to protect your password, enable local administration, or enable the lapse solution, CyberArk was the best tool at the time. However, if you want to manage your mobile devices as well as your Windows 10 devices, Intune is the best option.

Both goals are completely different. If you want to manage and control your devices, Intune is the best option.

I work with Microsoft technology. I always strongly recommend Intune.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sabarish Natarajan
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Very good technical support with great scalability and mobile acesss management
  • "The mobile application management, MAM, is the most useful aspect of the solution."
  • "Reporting could be improved. It needs to be more expensive and robust."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement the solution for our customers. It's mainly used by our clients for device management.

How has it helped my organization?

The product helps organizations have a model or place to allow users to access the corporate resources from any device that the user wants and in a highly secured way. That way, the data can be managed by the organization, whether the device is managed or not.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution is quite stable.

The product scales very, very well.

We've found the technical support to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

The legacy system management could use some improvement.

Reporting could be improved. It needs to be more expensive and robust.

Technical support could be a bit quicker to respond.

We've used the solution for two years. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time.

The product is stable. Microsoft, obviously, is a stable platform. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of performance.

The solution is highly scalable. A company can expand the solution if it would like to.

I'd rate the solution at a four out of five. It's mostly quite good. They are helpful and knowledgeable. However, The response times could improve. In general, we are mostly satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It is easy. The implementation is straightforward.

The deployment process is pretty quick. It takes a couple of days, and not quite a week.

We can implement the solution for our clients.

Being a deployment or being a technical resource, I'm not that good in the pricing. It's not an aspect o the solution I directly deal with. I can't speak to the specific costs to a company.

What other advice do I have?

We are a global distributor for Microsoft. I am a consultant. I do deployment for my customers.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

I would advise new users and organizations that they should follow the industry standard practices of configuring the policies and they can always highly rely on Microsoft for other security products as well.

Managing Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Transparently enforces compliance policies and works well, but the initial setup requires user intervention
  • "The biggest thing for us is enforcing logins only from devices that are managed by Intune."
  • "Once it's configured it is unobtrusive, but it does take some hands-on to configure and deploy it properly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting agency and we help people make technology and business decisions.

Our environment is fully online and we're a Microsoft 365 shop. We are using Intune for security. It is their MDM for mobile devices, but it is also their application ADM and it works on desktops as well.

We primarily use it to maintain compliance for our customers. They require that we use it to enforce compliance with the same level that they do internally, so we're following the compliance guidelines of several Fortune 100 companies. Intune is what we use to meet those requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has completely stopped DLP, so people cannot take material off of corporate machines or corporate imagines, and that's a huge benefit.

What is most valuable?

We also use it for enforcing DLP and all of the other security policies that you need for compliance in order to do work for major corporations.

It integrates well with the Microsoft environment. Once it's deployed, it's set and forget.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Intune for a year.

Intune has been very stable.

We're a small company of fewer than 100 people and it scales well enough for us.

We are financial analysts and IT consultants.

I have not used the technical support personally, but it seems to be okay.

We used a third-party package before, and we moved to Intune because it was easier to integrate with Microsoft Windows or Microsoft 365. It also provides coverage for desktops.

The initial setup requires user participation. You can't push it without the client being engaged. That is part of the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works pretty well. Security products are the disgusting medicine that we don't like to take, but we have to take it to stay healthy.

This is a good product because it's transparent and works well, although it's unfortunate that we have to have it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Technical Lead-Infrastructure Operations at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Autopilot is a great bonus as is the real-time feature
  • "Remote Wipe and Autopilot is one of the best features."
  • "Lacking ability to leverage more iOS device management internally."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for this solution varies depending on the user's requirement. Some are only interested in MDM, while others are interested in managing Windows plus Mac. It really depends. We are partners and provide on-prem, cloud and hybrid services to our customers. I'm tech lead infrastructure operations.

What is most valuable?

Lately I've been working on the Remote Wipe and Autopilot. Autopilot is one of the best features because we can use it during remote migration. It especially helps in this pandemic situation where we don't need any end-user computing engineer support. If someone wants to remix a machine, we can initiate it remotely.

What needs improvement?

An improvement would be if we were able to leverage more iOS device management internally. My goal is to manage all the tools in one centralized tool. Intune does 30 percent of Mac management, but if it could have complete management including patching and automating for Mac devices, that would be good.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

I have been trying to contact technical support but haven't been able to reach anyone. I have a couple of questions to which I haven't been able to get any answers.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The cost is fair but it would be helpful if they would segregate the licenses. There are a lot of features that many of our customers don't need but have to pay for because it comes as a bundle package and we're unable to exclude anything that is not necessary.

I also work with Jamf Pro but you can't compare the two because Jamf Pro doesn't have real-time features and it doesn't do most of the things that Intune does.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer is looking for a macOS solution, I would for sure recommend Jamf Pro. If it is for Windows and macOS in a combined environment, then I would recommend Intune for managing it. The consideration is based on the customer's macOS family, based on how many users they have. If they have 100 users, then we can still manage it through Intune. If it's a complex environment, for sure we'd need Jamf Pro.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

IT Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly and well organized interface, good security options, and straightforward deployment
  • "The initial setup is not complex."
  • "The security features should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company as an administrator for Office 365, and I use Microsoft Intune in this capacity.

We implement this solution in conjunction with Microsoft IIS.

It is an enterprise mobility tool that is used for mobile application management and mobile device management.

How has it helped my organization?

This product allows us to restrict users who have access to the system, or to Office 365. We have to enroll the devices and give the users rights as directed by our management or security department.

What is most valuable?

The interface is friendly and well organized.

What needs improvement?

The security features should be improved.

I have been working with Microsoft Intune for two years.

We have more than 1,000 employees in the company, and there are about 500 users for this solution. Typically, it is used by managers and higher-ups.

We have not yet had to open a support case with Microsoft. To this point, we have solved any problems ourselves. As such, technical support has not been a concern.

We did not use another similar solution prior to Intune.

The initial setup is not complex.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the number of people in the environment. It also depends on how adopted people are with this type of technology. Six months is enough to complete a full deployment.

Some of our deployments are on-premises, whereas others are on the cloud.

Our in-house team was responsible for deployment. Based on our license, we have the option to engage with a partner but we haven't used them.

When it comes to security solutions, it is difficult to calculate the return on investment. This is because it is somewhat like car insurance, where car buyers are protected if something happens. If there are no incidents then you don't see it but you're still protected.

This cost is approximately $30 USD per user per month.

What other advice do I have?

This product is included with our Microsoft 365 E3 subscription.

My advice for anybody who is looking into this product is to try it before they buy it. Microsoft offers a program that allows them to do this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Network Manager, Enterprise at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Good for compliance and setting policies, but needs to be simplified
  • "Compliance and the policies that can be set are the most valuable features."
  • "It should be simplified. I've worked with many different mobile device management solutions, and Intune is one of the more complex ones. It could be more simplified, and some of it is related to the wording that is being used, such as a configuration profile versus a policy. They really should have had different names to make it less confusing."

What is most valuable?

Compliance and the policies that can be set are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

It should be simplified. I've worked with many different mobile device management solutions, and Intune is one of the more complex ones. It could be more simplified, and some of it is related to the wording that is being used, such as a configuration profile versus a policy. They really should have had different names to make it less confusing.

I haven't really seen any negative on that yet.

Tech support is pretty decent for Microsoft. A colleague of mine had previously talked to them about Intune. As a partner, we also get counseling time with them. We get advisory services with them where we can speak back and forth with them on projects. We can ask them how would we implement it and what are the pros and cons. Sometimes, they came up with things that we weren't even thinking about or they confirmed what we were finding. I was on a call earlier this week, but it wasn't specific to Intune in this case. We found out something was not possible, and they confirmed it for us, which actually saved us hours of additional research. As far as I know, the advisory is only for partners.

What other advice do I have?

One of the pieces of advice is to become very familiar with the cloud environment. In general, always think in the big picture, not just in the isolated issue or item that you want to accomplish. That's because Intune or Azure, in general, is just so over-encompassing. You really have to think about the big picture and not just about the simple project that you're trying to focus on. Otherwise, it will come back to bite you if you didn't plan it right.

There are some MDMs out there that are simpler and easier, perhaps even better to use. It also depends on the application. It depends on if you've got all Windows devices, all Apple devices, or all Android devices. It also depends on if you have a combination. If you've got all Apple devices, there are a couple of products out there that are probably the best MDM, but they won't help you at all with Windows or Android because they're not designed for that. Intune is trying to be all-inclusive to everything. In some ways, that's an Achilles heel too.

I would rate Intune a seven out of 10.

ArturDrozd
Cloud & Security Technology at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cost-effective and easy to use, but the configuration should be simplified
  • "The most valuable feature for us is the security, including risk analysis and patch management."
  • "The configuration could be better by consolidating options and making it simpler."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Intune to manage both mobile devices and PC devices. I deploy applications and manage the security landscape.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the security, including risk analysis and patch management. The management is very important for us.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be better by consolidating options and making it simpler. I would like to have one option in one place that corresponds to one feature, which I can check off and move onto the next one. As it is now, there are a lot of options. For example, when configuring security, I find that it is too much because you have to configure one task in one place, then switch and it is against in another place, and so forth.

In the future, I would like to see support for security and compliance management. I would also like to see iOS management options.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for five years.

This is a stable product.

Being a cloud-based solution, it is very easy to scale.

We have approximately 30,000 users.

I have contacted the Microsoft technical support lots of times. It is okay and I am satisfied with it.

We did not use a different solution for the same purpose before implementing Intune.

The initial setup was simple and it took us about two days to deploy it.

Intune only supports mobile devices in the cloud version. Because a number of my clients have both PCs and mobile devices, I deployed it in a hybrid model.

I am responsible for configuration and deployment, and sometimes maintenance. Our help desk also handles the maintenance.

The price of Intune is often included as part of a bundle with other Microsoft licenses, which makes it somewhat cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Intune is cost-effective and easy to use, so I can recommend it. That said, it is not perfect, so I think that they can improve a lot of things.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.