We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Rishan-Ahmed
Channel Manager (Engineer) at Dataguard MEA
MSP
Carbonite Availability reduced overhead and maintenance
  • "It was very user-friendly when setting up the virtual machines and console. It was an easy task for my team to create virtual servers and start replications."
  • "It should have cost optimization tools. Customers are required to use third-party applications to avoid usage complications."

What is our primary use case?

Implementation of Cloud Backup and Disaster Recovery solution, where we used Carbonite Availability as the primary tool and Microsoft Azure as secondary/target location.

Real-time replication configured from one point to another for business continuity and high availability.

Altogether, there are eight servers in the local premise which are entirely replicated to the cloud. The kept cloud servers are idle until a disaster happens with the on-premise servers. The project setup was successful even with real-time testing. It was done with automatic failover and failback.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

We able to manage resources wisely with a third-party tool.

What needs improvement?

It should have cost optimization tools. Customers are required to use third-party applications to avoid usage complications. Also, charging on downloads is not a good option, especially when it moves to a production server.

Two years.

Achieving business continuity was a nightmare. Project was done for a supermarket chain where they kept one machine in every branch directly connected to remote data center. The connection was done using VDIs. Whenever there is glitch at the remote data center, the entire infrastructure was in trouble, which in turns affected the business a lot. Setting up a disaster recovery data center was an expensive plan and maintenance was too heavy. Connecting Carbonite Availability with Azure was an easy options, as it reduced overhead and maintenance.

Monthly billing convenience reduced cost overheads up to 70 percent.

Product Architect at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
ExpressRoute makes it easy to connect to services, but it could be more user-friendly
  • "I like the ExpressRoute because that makes it easy to configure connectivity to Azure-hosted services."
  • "Azure could be made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and Azure is one of the products that I use to assist my clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Azure could be made more user-friendly. For example, the configuration wizard should be more intuitive for the users.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for about 18 months.

This product is stable enough.

Scalability-wise, we have not had any problems.

We have been in touch with Microsoft technical support and I would say that they are average.

I am also working with AWS and I find that it is more user-friendly. I am a fan of AWS and although it depends on the use cases and requirements, we generally implement AWS more often than Azure.

The initial setup was fairly simple. If we did have any issues then we would consult with Microsoft Professional Services, or some of our cloud architects, just to figure out how to resolve them.

We follow the Microsoft update paths. There isn't any maintenance required because it's a managed service and the providers take care of it.

What other advice do I have?

For the most part, Microsoft Azure works well. They are constantly upgrading their services. That said, I don't think that it's perfect.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Solutions Specialist (Network & Security) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, flexible, scales well, reasonably priced, and has good support
  • "I like that it is user-friendly and flexible."
  • "I would like to see the console improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure for enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

I like that it is user-friendly and flexible.

It's done a really good job. It's an up-to-the-mark product.

There are many features available in Azure, including hundreds of products. There are more than 200. It is difficult to find fault in this product.

What needs improvement?

While Microsoft Azure is user-friendly, some of the other cloud products I use are more user-friendly. I use AWS and I like it more than I like Microsoft Azure.

I would like to see the console improved.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for two years.

The scalability of Microsoft Azure is a valuable feature.

We have approximately 50 users in our organization and plan to increase our usage.

Technical support is good.

Previously, I was using AWS.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The installation time varies; it can take as little as five minutes or as long as several hours.

Because there are so many products, we have quite the team. We have anywhere from five to ten people to manage and maintain the complete infrastructure.

I completed the installation myself. I did not use an integrator or consultant.

We have a subscription and the price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft Azure to others who are interested in using it. It's a good product.

I would rate Microsoft Azure an eight out of ten.

Senior Vice President Information Technology at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to understand, helpful technical support, and scalable
  • "We are using Microsoft Azure because our organization uses a lot of Microsoft solutions. We have used Microsoft technology for a long time and we have internal engineers with great capability that understand the technology. This is why Azure is the best for us."
  • "The quality of some components of Microsoft Azure is not that great. For example, Microsoft has not fixed issues in Microsoft Teams for many years. There are well-known issues that are submitted by customers two years ago and they still are not fixed."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure for different use cases. For example, we are hosting our corporate website on Azure. We are a software development company and we have hundreds of development and testing environments in Azure. Additionally, we use different Microsoft services, such as Office 365 and Azure Active Directory. A lot of our services are based on these technologies.

What is most valuable?

We are using Microsoft Azure because our organization uses a lot of Microsoft solutions. We have used Microsoft technology for a long time and we have internal engineers with great capability that understand the technology. This is why Azure is the best for us.

What needs improvement?

The quality of some components of Microsoft Azure is not that great. For example, Microsoft has not fixed issues in Microsoft Teams for many years. There are well-known issues that are submitted by customers two years ago and they still are not fixed.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for approximately four years.

Microsoft Azure is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have hundreds of users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support has been great.

We use Google GCP and AWS by Amazon.

The initial setup is not a problem it is similar to competitors, such as AWS.

The pricing of Microsoft Azure is not very flexible.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Azure an eight out of ten.

Network and systems administrator at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable platform with good technical support that is quick to resolve problems

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Azure for Office 365.

What is most valuable?

My experience with technical support so far is very good.

What needs improvement?

If the price were reduced then it would be an improvement.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for one year.

For me and many other people, the general view is that Azure is very stable. We definitely plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable solution and we have thousands of users in our organization.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Azure for Office 365.

What is most valuable?

My experience with technical support so far is very good.

What needs improvement?

If the price were reduced then it would be an improvement.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for one year.

This is a scalable solution and we have thousands of users in our organization.

I have had to contact Microsoft support about a problem that I was having with my virtual machine, where it could not find my VM. When I called them, they solved the problem quite fast.

Prior to Azure, we used all of our Microsoft products on-premises.

The initial setup was easy because we didn't do anything.

We hired an IT consultant who is experienced in setting up cloud solutions. We did not do any of the setup ourselves.

The licensing fees depend on the number of users that we have.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is very good and I can recommend it. It would be difficult to improve.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RakshathShetty
Team Lead, Enterprise Computing Platforms at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A reliable solution for migration and disaster recovery strategy
  • "It's been pretty useful in terms of migration and disaster recovery strategy."
  • "Microsoft's technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Within my company, there are roughly 150 employees using this solution. We need about 30-35 people for maintenance.

What is most valuable?

It's been pretty useful in terms of migration and disaster recovery strategy.

I have been working with Microsoft Azure for roughly four years.

This solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues stability-wise.

Scalability is good. I would rate it high, scalability-wise.

Microsoft's technical support could be improved.

There are certain areas on the Level 1 to Level 2 support-side that are not exactly great. We have issues with our Linux operating system. I don't think we've had delays as such but I would say that's one area there might be some scope for improvement.

I personally used to work with AWS, but that was at another company.

The initial setup was fairly easy. Pretty much all the services are easy to deploy — not very complicated as such.

The cost could definitely be lower.

What other advice do I have?

You have to look out for the external storage costs — it can be a bit of a surprise. You have to do your budgeting. We didn't really anticipate that the storage expenses would be so much higher than anything else. That's something people have to budget and account for before they migrate to the cloud.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this soluting a rating of eight.

Technical manager at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Quick, fluent and elastic; it's easy to build a new service and get it into production
  • "It's very easy to build a new service and get it into production."
  • "The solution is too expensive."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the technical manager of our company and we are customers of Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to provide our customers with what they want and very quickly.

What is most valuable?

This solution is quick, fluent and elastic. It's very easy to build a new service and get it into production.

What needs improvement?

The solution is too expensive.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, it's one of the main advantages.

Customer service is pretty good for what I need.

The initial setup is not very complex. It's quite straightforward to get a new platform and be in production. We carried out the implementation ourselves. We have 350 employees and everybody uses Azure. We have four IT professionals dealing with maintenance.

We spend around $10,000 per month on licensing and that's just for Azure. In addition, there is a per user charge for using Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

The policy of the company is to use Microsoft products. We took a look at Google and AWS, but very quickly decided to go with Azure. It's a well-known solution and the decision was taken by the finance department.

Stability and simplicity of use play an important role, so I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
SOA & BP Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install, stable, easy to use, and they have good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are vendors. We are neutral from the technologies. We provide solutions to our clients as well as implement the customer needs with the different technologies. We have a multi-channel mobile app solution that we implement, and we have an API deployed on Azure cloud. We use API management in the Azure cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the ease of use. The Azure APIs is monetization. Its support, monetization for prepaid and postpaid are good features that we look for.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see this solution support integration.

We have been selling Microsoft Azure for a couple of years. We are implementing the latest version.

What do I think

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see this solution support integration.

We have been selling Microsoft Azure for a couple of years.

We are implementing the latest version.

Microsoft Azure is stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have approximately 1,000 users who are using this solution.

Technical support is awesome! It's very good.

We have installed many competitive products, such as Appigee and IBM, but Microsoft Azure is the easiest one to install.

While I was not a part of the deployment, I know it took them less than a week.

We have a team of 10 to 15 for the deployment, customization, and implementation of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would recommend it.

I would rate Microsoft Azure a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Microsoft Azure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.