IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Evangelos Nikolaidis - PeerSpot reviewer
Freelance IT Professional at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Availability of different types of disks enabled us to increase speed and leverage different storage costs across data life cycle
  • "The Unity XT box is very strong. It doesn't break. The MTBF time is very large so you don't have to worry about faults or outages in your operations."
  • "Our request to Dell EMC for improvement was in the reporting and monitoring areas. Dell EMC built up a cloud ID so that we could see the overall storage numbers. We needed to have the proper KPIs to be able to see and manage things."

How has it helped my organization?

One advantage was the ability to use different types of disks and different types of disk solutions to increase the speed, first of all, and to take advantage of different storage costs across the life cycle of the data.

What is most valuable?

One of the most useful features for us was the deduplication. It had been challenging for us to store certain types of data and to use patterns of storage to reduce storage size. The IOPS and the speed were also an important part of the solution. In addition, there was a Unity machine that offers block-level and NAS, and we used the block-level storage. We also use the side-to-side storage verification for the recovery site. Finally, the device was flexible and we could change the configuration to meet our needs.

What needs improvement?

Our request to Dell EMC for improvement was in the reporting and monitoring areas. Dell EMC built up a cloud ID so that we could see the overall storage numbers. We needed to have the proper KPIs to be able to see and manage things.

I worked with Dell EMC Unity XT for two to three months. My last role was IT director so I didn't do a lot of hands-on with the devices. I was overseeing the IT staff and doing project management for these kinds of solutions. At that time I was working for a manufacturing company for pharmaceutical life cycle products, and we were a customer of Dell EMC.
Dell Unity XT
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell Unity XT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There was no problem with the stability. It was, as expected, very strong.

You can grow as much as you like. There is no limit. It's easy to scale. We had about 1,000 users of the Unity XT.

We did not need to contact their technical support.

The initial setup for Unity XT was pretty straightforward. We knew exactly what we needed and our requirements were very easily applied to the box. With one day of hands-on training, my colleagues were able to manage things. Maintenance required one person.

We used an integrator for the deployment. They had great knowledge of the product. We also did some additional integration with them in other parts of the storage, including backup and data domain devices, because we were very fond of the work they did.

The main factors to consider are space, availability, business continuity, performance, and IOPS. The Unity XT box is very strong. It doesn't break. The MTBF time is very large so you don't have to worry about faults or outages in your operations. It is a very complete platform. Dell EMC wrote a new OS for storage, but I haven't seen it yet.

We looked at HPE Nimble but the price of the Unity XT was very good compared to the competition.
CIO at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The dashboard gives me a quick reference on my monitor as to what is using what bandwidth
  • "I like how it separates the iSCSI drives from the standard shares. It has two different routes to it. I know most of the other solutions do this, but I just like the way that Dell EMC does it."
  • "It could go faster. Make it bigger, better, and faster at a lower price, and I am there."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for user shares and VMs.

We have 200 people using it in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The snapshotting is slick.

I like how it separates the iSCSI drives from the standard shares. It has two different routes to it. I know most of the other solutions do this, but I just like the way that Dell EMC does it.

I like the dashboard, which gives me a quick reference on my monitor as to what is using what bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

Our solution is four- to five-years-old. We use it every day.

I have never had any stability issues. It has been solid and stable. The dual platform, i.e., how it sits one head on top of the other, has been rock-solid. I have never had an issue with it.

I have noticed there is another version that has come out.

I haven't scaled it yet. The way that I set it up was half the drive bays are being used. When I do need to scale up, I am just going to duplicate the other half of the drives, stick them in there, and then spin them up.

The technical support is good and quick.

I would like a little faster response, but I don't think that their response is really that slow. They respond fairly quickly, at least fast enough for most issues. If it was an emergency issue, it might be different, as they probably would move it up the ladder anyway.

It is a little bit of a pain at first to set up the snapshotting. However, once it is set up, and you figure it out, it is not that bad.

I needed one of the specialists to set it up initially, which is not surprising because the solutions are a pain in that way. Some of the menus, and how it is at first, are a little awkward. It takes a little while to get used to, then it all starts to make sense.

I liked the price point when we purchased it.

I don't know what other units have that Unity doesn't have. Though I would say to them, "Keep up with your competition."

What other advice do I have?

Look at it online. If you can get a demo version in-house, give it a shot.

If you need to keep data safe and make sure it doesn't go anywhere, Dell EMC Unity is a good way to go.

I would rate them as nine out of 10.

Dell Unity XT
June 2022
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Technology Officer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
My storage team likes the replication features, and three-site replication is a unique feature
  • "My storage team likes Unity's replication features. Three-site replication is a unique feature that EMC offers us."
  • "I think Dell EMC should be more careful in appointing partners, and they need to have better control over their partners. And if their partner has some problems with them, we should not suffer."

What is our primary use case?

Unity is our central storage solution. All of our data is stored on this platform, so it's not just production servers in DR. We have two DR—near and far—so there are three sites in total. Unity holds all of our transactional data.

What is most valuable?

We've been using Unity storage for almost 10 years.

Unity is very stable.

Unity is scalable.

I would rate Dell EMC support seven out of 10. We had to follow up a lot. We sent an email beforehand, so they knew the model and everything about our environment. We expected them to do better homework and engage with my team. If they had done the implementation like that we could have saved a lot of time. That is why I rate them seven and not nine or eight.

Implementing Unity isn't straightforward, but it's not that complex, either. There is still some room to expedite the implementation process a bit. We had support from EMC guys in India or Singapore. They worked with our bank's in-house storage team, which has about four members.

Our contract included training, and we had to pay for that also. It was supposed to be on site, where our team visited EMC somewhere in India or Singapore to get training, but we couldn't do that because of the pandemic, so the training was online. If we get trained next time, we would like to do most of the implementation by ourselves.

We have a perpetual license for Unity and a support contract with Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC Unity XT eight out of 10. We compared Unity with NetApp and HP also. In some areas, NetApp and HP have advantages over EMC. I think NetApp holds the top Gartner position. It's in the upper-right quadrant.

Also, Dell EMC doesn't have a presence in Bangladesh, so they work through local partners. Previously, they had only one partner with sub-partners or sub-agents. This complicated the relationship with the end customer. We had been working with the same partner for the last eight years, but when we were upgrading, they told us they could no longer support us because they had some issues with EMC. We got caught in the feud between Dell EMC and their partner.

We had to get somebody else appointed as a new partner and then discontinue the earlier partner's agreement to make it commercially feasible. I think EMC should be more careful in appointing partners, and they need to have better control over their partners. And if their partner has some problems with them, we should not suffer.

Senior IT Infrastructure & Data Center Operation Engineer at Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), Egypt
Easy to install and set up, managed using a single console, and good technical support
  • "The setup and installation procedures are easy."
  • "The reporting should be better. In other systems, you can create many different kinds of reports but this is not the case with Dell."

What is our primary use case?

I work as an integrator and this is one of the products that I have implemented in different locations. Most customers choose this product because they want to have faster storage. The XT series is all-flash, so it's fast.

I recommend it for ERP systems and for people running Oracle Database. I have implemented both of these. Most applications these days are implemented in a VM environment with a Hypervisor, and this product is well suited for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The setup and installation procedures are easy.

The management is done using a single console, which is good. You don't have to use a separate VM to manage the storage.

The most valuable feature of Dell storage systems is the tiering. However, with an all-flash system, there is no tiering.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring capabilities should be improved.

Dell Unity is going out of support soon, which is bad. They should continue to support it, rather than have it end after five years.

I have been working with the Dell EMC Unity XT series for three years.

Unity had a lot of trouble with stability in the beginning, but it is stable now.

This is a scalable product. I have set up the device in a lot of different locations.

The Unity technical support is very good.

I have also implemented Dell EMC PowerStore and Unity is better. The PowerStore had a lot of issues when I deployed it.

I also work with HPE 3PAR and I find that it has better monitoring capabilities, a better GUI, and better reporting. Reports with different views can be exported. In Dell products, the reporting is not as good

With 3PAR, there is another appliance required to operate the storage but with Dell, it's good because you can manage it from the same console. You don't need another VM to manage the storage.

The initial setup is very easy to do and there are no prerequisites.

Installing the license is easy. You just have to download it from the portal.

Upgrading the product is also easy to do.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great storage solution and a product that I recommend. That said, it's not perfect. More can be done from Dell to improve the Unity series.

Systems Administrator at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Fast and efficient flash storage platform, but its pre-sales technical support needs improvement
  • "Stable flash storage platform with good scalability, efficiency, and speed."
  • "The pre-sales technical support and technical engagement could be made better for this product."

What is our primary use case?

We used Dell EMC Unity XT for onsite storage.

We were moving from our HP3 power data center to a hybrid cloud solution. We still needed some onsite storage, but we wanted faster performance and a more efficient capacity. The flash storage generally outclasses older solutions, which was why we went down the flash storage route.

What is most valuable?

Having gone down the flash storage route, we liked Dell EMC Unity XT because of its speed and efficiency. We did compare it with Pure, but we liked Dell because Pure is more niche, while Dell EMC Unity XT is more general purpose. We can also buy other things from Dell, and we get better prices from them, compared to Pure. In Pure, you can only buy storage. These are the things we liked about this product.

What needs improvement?

Dell operates at the commodity end of the market, so if they really want to get into storage in a big way, they need to have better pre-sales technical support and engagement.

They do what they say, but if it was a really big implementation, I would be worried about recommending Dell EMC Unity XT, simply because we need to have a more technical understanding of it. The technical engagement can be a lot better.

Dell EMC Unity XT is a stable product.

Dell EMC Unity XT has good scalability.

The technical support for this product is fine.

There is an annual charge for the license of this product. It has better pricing than its competitor: Pure Storage.

We evaluated Pure Storage.

What other advice do I have?

I'm in IT and my niche is digital transformation consulting. One of my customers needed a storage solution, so I recommended Dell EMC Unity XT. I'm not a storage consultant. I'm a digital transformation consultant, and one of my clients needed a storage solution.

I'm not a user of this product. My clients might need a solution from time to time, and what I do is I recommend solutions.

Dell EMC Unity XT is a good product.

I didn't get involved in the initial setup of this product, but I believe it was straightforward. It only took one to two days for the installation, then we were able to migrate our data.

I can recommend this product to others looking into implementing it.

I'm giving Dell EMC Unity XT a score of seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
François BRUNET - PeerSpot reviewer
Responsable de Production at Office National des Forets
Good integration, an easy initial setup, and quite stable
  • "Integration is easy with this product."
  • "Currently, the protocol SNMP is not implemented. That's a problem, as we follow this protocol and I can't check the integrity of this equipment."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for NAS network storage for the Microsoft environment.

What is most valuable?

Overall, I've had a very good experience with the solution so far.

Integration is easy with this product.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the protocol SNMP is not implemented. That's a problem, as we follow this protocol and I can't check the integrity of this equipment.

I've been using the solution for two months at this point.

We haven't used the solution for very long, so it may be hard to gauge the stability. However, so far, we haven't had any issues whatsoever. It doesn't crash or freeze. It doesn't have bugs or glitches. It seems quite stable.

Having only used it a short time, we haven't tried to scale it just yet. We don't foresee any limitations, however, without actually doing it, we can't really tell.

We needed to contact technical support in regards to an IAS error in automatic services. We didn't have any issues reaching them or getting the help we needed. So far, we've been satisfied with their level of service. They seem knowledgable and responsive.

We found the implementation to be very straightforward. It's not complex in any way.

The deployment didn't take too long. We had everything up and running in two days or so. It's pretty quick.

We have 12 technicians for the maintenance of all of our equipment in the enterprise. They would also handle any maintenance required for this product.

The pricing is quite good. We find it fair. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Dell client. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I have four Unity products. Two were already installed in September, and one just last week. While two are already in production, the other two are not up and running yet.

I'd recommend the product to others.

Overall, I'd rate it nine out of ten. We haven't worked with it too long, however, everything seems to be going quite well.

Assistant Manager Specialist at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
High availability, stable, and good support
  • "The high availability of Dell EMC Unity XT has been the most important feature."
  • "The interface and configuration could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC Unity XT as a storage solution for a virtual machine datastore.

How has it helped my organization?

Dell EMC Unity XThas helped our organization with the high availability. It has been working very well and the performance has been good with an old flash solution that we are using. It has improved the reliability and speed of virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The high availability of Dell EMC Unity XT has been the most important feature.

What needs improvement?

The interface and configuration could improve.

I have been using Dell EMC Unity XT for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

The solution does not fully scale because it's a scale-up solution, not a scale-out, but if you get the right target, you will be able to scale up to meet your needs. We are not planning to expand the storage of the solution at this time.

We have approximately 200 users using this solution.

The first level support from Dell I was not happy with because as a technician I needed to get the second or third level support. However, the level one support was able to pass me over to the right technician and I received the solution pretty fast. The support overall was very good.

We previously were using the Dell EMC VNX storage and before it, we used CX storage. It's is basically the same solution evolving during the time.

The implementation is straightforward, the configuration tool two hours, and to deploy it took approximately three days. We did some configuration changes and considerations which took a lot of time to test.

The interface and how the configuration needs to be completed could be simplified.

I did the implementation of this solution. The solution works well and does not need any maintenance or assistance unless it is broken.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is for them to make a good plan and to use that resource they have.

I rate Dell EMC Unity XT an eight out of ten.

Head of Datacenter Department: at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good performance, simple to use, reactive support
  • "The most valuable features are its performance and simplicity."
  • "The price of this product can be more cost-effective."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Dell EMC Unity XT series is one of the products that we implement for our clients. My role is in pre-sales and I help to design the solutions.

It is primarily used to provide our customers with an on-site, high-availability production server. It is also used to provide disaster recovery

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has helped us to improve the security of information. It is shared storage and as such, we have the ability to create an architecture that is resistant to server crashes. It allows us to minimize downtime and secure usage of services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its performance and simplicity.

What needs improvement?

The price of this product can be more cost-effective.

Dell EMC Unity XT

This is a stable product and we don't have a lot of incidents with it.

The Unity XT series is very scalable.

The support is very reactive.

We offer solutions from different vendors.

In cases where customers need a more cost-effective storage platform than Unity, we have possibilities to offer them.

The initial setup and deployment are easy. It can be completed in an hour.

We have an in-house team for deployment. We have five engineers that work with it in our organization. As a system integrator, we install and configure this product for our clients.

The price in our country is very expensive and some of our customers opt for lower-cost alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free Dell Unity XT Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022