IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
reviewer1398594 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Development Engineer in Test at Autodesk, Inc.
Helps us in reducing the number of manual testing
  • "Live device testing. As we all know, It's really hard and challenging to find/purchase many real devices to test because it will be costly and not all the team can be able to purchase all of the devices out there. We used to have a lot of real devices under our labs. However, it is really time-consuming to maintain those devices and make sure they are up to date with the testing requirements."
  • "As a web product QA team, we sometimes need to spot check some new child site on multiple browsers and OS(es). It was a little time consuming for us since we need to click on each of the browser/OS combinations and start a new session to test. Every sprint, with new features and child pages being added, we mostly need to do the same steps over and over again."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sauce Labs for mostly our automated testing on cross-browser and emulator devices. Our team mainly focuses on web product testing so using a third party vendor to help with the external resouces is a must. There are many cases that we need to run our test on multiple browsers like Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge etc. Sauce Labs has all the options for us. Of course, because our products are mostly web based, we need to ensure the cross-browser testing for every release cycle. Instead of doing it manually on many real devices, we use Sauce Labs since they provide many emulator devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has been helping us a lot in reducing the number of manual testing. By moving most of our test to the cloud and not running on the EC2 instance, we not only save time for the service but also the maintenance for the external servers. Sauce Labs is the best out there. They beat their competitors because of its price, customer support, and an amazing forum where you can ask and get answered really quickly. They never stop expanding. Whenever we have a new update for any browser, devices, etc. they make sure it will be in their devices and browsers farm so users can use it immediately.

What is most valuable?

Live device testing. As we all know, It's really hard and challenging to find/purchase many real devices to test because it will be costly and not all the team can be able to purchase all of the devices out there. We used to have a lot of real devices under our labs. However, it is really time-consuming to maintain those devices and make sure they are up to date with the testing requirements. Sauce Labs knows that and already has a solution for their live device testing which allows us to test our app on the actual devices out there and see the real result.

What needs improvement?

As a web product QA team, we sometimes need to spot check some new child site on multiple browsers and OS(es). It was a little time consuming for us since we need to click on each of the browser/OS combinations and start a new session to test. Every sprint, with new features and child pages being added, we mostly need to do the same steps over and over again. We would like to see if Sauce Labs can be able to open multiple different browsers on the same website at the same time, just by 1 click. It will reduce a lot of time for manually click and change the devices/OS combination.
Sauce Labs
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sauce Labs. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

2+ years.

We rarely had any downtime with Saucelabs, except sometimes our tests cannot connect through the tunnel. It's not always but once in a while and with some random tests only. Their support is really great, they always help us to diagnose and find the root cause of the problem.

The performance is great, we never had any slowness or trouble with running our tests.

Amazing! They are very quick in response and very throughout. They even go way beyond to help troubleshoot our code and give the coding example to help with all the questions that we had.

We did use another third party vendor for cloud testing. However, their price increased a lot, and their support was a little slower than Sauce Labs. That's why we switched.

It was very easy. They have a wiki and a GitHub repo with all of the codes for every programming language. We can either use their template page or inherit it to our use cases.

We developed our test framework based on Sauce Labs in-house. There was no other vendor team.

We have a team that manages all the licenses, and they share the pool with the rest of us. However, we haven't had any problem of running out of concurrent devices/connection because we agree to not running many test in parallel at the same time.

There are only two big companies in this field and since we were moving away from the other one, we obviously did not consider any other options.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a cloud devices testing provider, look no further. They will beat their competitors on price, support, and a lot more.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
reviewer1396422 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior QA Automation Engineer at Bleacher Report
Analytics have drastically improved over the years and you can dive into your test results (pass/fail) to get a better understanding of how things are working
  • "I have found the live test section with Sauce Labs to be extremely valuable. When you can't quite figure out why a test is failing, you can go to the live test results section within their tool and launch your test (specifying a given OS/browser, or device) manually and step through the test to see the issue more clearly, usually opening up the developer's tool console and watching the network calls and console (within Chrome) to usually find the underlying issue."
  • "Overall, I think Sauce Labs provides us with a valuable tool and resource. As far as what could be improved, I would say the overall test execution time. Some of the calls take a bit longer than I expect, for example in web browser tests; while the execution time isn't obnoxious, it could be improved so that overall tests/test suites finish faster."

What is our primary use case?

Our CI/CD (Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment) QA Pipeline interacts with Sauce Labs when it goes to run the necessary automated tests. Our automated tests exist for normal web browser tests (we specify to run on the latest Chrome version, on Mac OS) as well as mobile tests where are mobile tests run on various Android and iOS devices to verify that our apps are working properly on multiple systems. We use a 30 VM (Virtual Machine) farm from Sauce Labs, which gives us enough VM's to get through all our tests in a very reasonable amount of time.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it to maintain my own VM (Virtual Machine) farm of 25 VMs. The admin time I had to spend on maintenance and upkeep was a few hours per week, coupled with the fact that the up-time on the VMs was probably somewhere around 75% due to issues coming up in off-hours when I wasn't available to due maintenance/fixes/repairs. When I finally moved over to Sauce Labs, all this burden of doing the management was uplifted off my shoulders, and the up-time is nearly 100% for Sauce Labs VMs. On top of that, we can specify from an abundance of device types, OS's, browser versions, etc. when running our tests. Furthermore, the analytics side of things within Sauce Labs has drastically improved over the years and you can dive into your test results (pass/fail) to get a better understanding of how things are working over a period of time. Overall, Sauce Labs has provided us with a VM farm that is virtually always up and running and has taken the burden off of us/myself of maintaining the VM farm.

What is most valuable?

I also frequently use the insights section within the tool, to analyze trends of the pass/fail rate of our tests, so I can see what suites of ours are more failure-prone than others, etc. The tool allows you to filter up to the last 30 days' worth of data, along with many other filter options (OS type, tag, build, etc.) so you can really produce insights into your tests.

What needs improvement?

Within the insights section of the Sauce Labs tool, I think it would be nice if you could go back farther than 30 days worth of data. I like all the custom filters available, but being able to go back say 90 days (or more) would show more statistics on our data/test results.

In the next release, I'd like to see continual new additions of OS's. This area is usually pretty up-to-date, please keep at it!

Five plus years.

Very good, up-time is near 100%.

Very good, you can add Vs if necessary.

We've only usually contacted customer service (our account manager) to add VMs, it's been seamless and pleasant.

Manually maintained my own VM farm. We switched to Sauce Labs as the cost/time to maintain my own VM farm was too high.

Straightforward and easy, with good instructions in their knowledge base.

In-house.

I'd say it definitely provides a good ROI, vs maintaining your own VM farm.

The cost is worth it. Start with a VM farm that you think suits your needs, and then add/subtract VM's if necessary.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Sauce Labs
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1394535 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Quality Analyst at Derivco
Has helped keep the project turn around time on track
  • "Supplying devices to a testing team of possibly close to one thousand testers and developers is a great undertaking but Sauce Labs has made this very easy and a welcomed solution."
  • "If I had to speak of an area that could be improved it would probably have to be the speed of interaction with the devices. There is at times a considerable amount of lag while using some of the virtual and at times even physical device farm"

What is our primary use case?

The Primary use caes would be the following :

• Using the device farm and also using the ability to use the virtual and real devices for the purposes of software Quality Analysis testing.
  • There are projects that sometimes require a variety of devices to perform software testing on and having the repository of devices to choose from that my company might not have greatly assisted with this use.
  • Especially in handling massive loads of users. Since there is virtual emulation as well as device farms with actual devices this allows a great number of devices for a team to test with.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has been a saving grace for our company. More so in recent years if I'm going by my own personal experience.

When you consider the positive plus points relative to having multiple devices, especially with the recent pandemic being under lockdown as well as just a general work from home situation before. Having Sauce Labs farm has been greatly beneficial to many people within the organization and has helped keep the project turn around time on track.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is as I mentioned would be the benefit of having mobile devices on hand even if it's virtually so in abundance for our testers In my company.

Another positive is having an up to date device farm and virtual emulation of devices. The time it takes to allocate and purchase devices on the scale it would normally need is completely deducted from the issues we would have to face from a day perspective or even project-wise. On top of that, having to maintain these devices would be another undertaking and require resources that we as a company do not have to concern ourselves with anymore.

What needs improvement?

If I had to speak of an area that could be improved it would probably have to be the speed of interaction with the devices. There is at times a considerable amount of lag while using some of the virtual and at times even physical device farms. While this is absolutely better than not having it situation Sauce Labs certainly would benefit as well as we the user would certainly benefit from gaining a software interaction speed boost. Having it more consistent would be greatly appreciated if the long run. This is the only thing affecting the testing time at the moment and can even be seen as a disadvantage in comparison to having an actual physical device in hand.

i have been using saucelabs for about 6 years or so within the company I work for

Stability-wise it's just okay. The speed of this software needs to improve a lot of possible.

Very good as it has the ability to appeal to a lot of users despite some lagful moments.

Customer service is good. I have personally not had an issue myself but from those that have it has never been anything but positive .

I have not personally used another solution prior to Sauce Labs.

Pretty straightforward for the most part.

We deployed with an in-house team.

In terms of projects, it's per-project basis. So it varies but it certainly has saved time.

I'm unaware if my company has done so but I imagine they did and still chose Sauce Labs as the best option.

What other advice do I have?

It's certainly worth a try if anything . I can confirm it has definitely been a help to myself and the company I work for and it probably will do the same for others.

Andy Antes - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Saves us time, good support, and helps us ensure product quality cross-platform
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to run concurrent automated tests up to a specified value, depending on what we are currently paying for."
  • "This product is not super scalable, because you have a very specific number of VMs that you can use."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Sauce Labs test automation VMs to help our quality assurance engineers run automated tests concurrently, using a platform that we build in-house.

We use the browser VMs and we definitely use it for end-to-end testing. We may use it for performance testing, as well.

The way that we use it is pretty straightforward.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is a big time-saver, so by extension, it's a cost-savings.

It's helped us remove the need for extensive manual testing, which is how it's freed up a lot of time for quality assurance engineers to work on other things. They can work on the automation itself, for example, whereas otherwise, they'd be spending all of that time doing these tests manually and synchronously.

Sauce Labs is optimized for automation and intention with major CI/CD platforms and developer tools. In our case, we've plugged it into our pipelines quite easily. It's an integral tool in that regard, so it is very important to us that it is optimized for integration.

We run Sauce Labs with almost every code commit.

Although Sauce Labs is a cloud-based solution, latency has not been a concern for us. We haven't run into any situations where latency is causing any major issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to run concurrent automated tests up to a specified value, depending on what we are currently paying for.

I am pretty satisfied with the options in terms of the number of browser and OS combinations they support, as well as the number of real devices, mobile emulators, and simulators. I haven't had any needs that they couldn't satisfy. This enables us to ensure the quality of our products, cross-platform.

What needs improvement?

A really nice feature would be a pay-as-you-use model, as opposed to a strict number of VMs that you pay for continuously.

I have been working with Sauce Labs for two years and nine months. It has been used by the company since before that.

This product is not super scalable, because you have a very specific number of VMs that you can use. If there was a pay-as-you-use-it model, I think that would really increase the scalability of the solution, but right now Sauce Labs is a bottleneck because you have a specified number of VMs.

We use, on average, 75 of their VMs per hour. Optimally, we're using as much of the VMs as we pay for. As such, the goal is to have our tests running often enough to maximize that usage.

I can't speak to how widespread this product is used in the company, although in my team, there are 10 of us using it. My team is serving between 30 and 40 quality assurance engineers. Other teams in the company are also using it.

I have not personally used Sauce Labs' technical expertise to assist us with integration or for implementing solutions, although, in the past few years, I've submitted a couple of trouble tickets based on some technical difficulties.

I found the technical support to be great and timely. I haven't had any complaints, and the issues have been resolved.

I don't have any experience with other similar technologies.

I was not with the company when it was first implemented.

We pay for a specific number of VMs. The licensing model should be changed to pay-as-you-use, which would make it more effective.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Sauce Labs is that concurrency and automation save a lot more time than you initially think.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ryan Craven - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality Assurance Engineer at Optum
Insights provide a great overall state of the automation suite and can identify trends relatively quickly
  • "The insights section provides a great overall state of the automation suite and can identify trends relatively quickly. If we see a dip in our passing rate over time, we can look at what changed when the test started failing to find the root cause rather than doing a quick fix to find that the test fails a short time later."
  • "The one issue I have is the 14-day trial that a new user gets for free. I understand the concept of the trial period; however, I think this could be revamped to a free 30-minute run time every few months or after a significant update once the trial period has ended."

What is our primary use case?

My company uses Sauce Labs to run all smoke and regression tests for our application.

We primarily run our tests on Chrome 83, but we occasionally run on other versions (81 or 84) to check to compatibility. Our smoke suite runs on a nightly build, and regression on a bi-weekly basis.

For building out new automation features, we have to have a passing Sauce Lab run before creating a pull request. Doing this ensures that our new automation features will run on other environments and not just locally.

How has it helped my organization?

The visual data is helpful for all levels within the organization from the QE engineer level up to the director level.

The ability to change the browser version has also ensured that our application stays compatible with previous and updated browser versions.

What is most valuable?

One major feature that I like about Sauce Labs is the recording feature. I love the option to watch a video playback and command and view log when I'm trying to figure out why my test was passing locally but may fail on Sauce Labs. It's helped to make sure of my automation.

Another feature I find valuable is the ability to choose browser versions. This feature allows us to test on our minimum browser version but also check/verify that our application is working on the most recent browser version as well.

The insights tab is also very valuable, as I’ve discussed early; it provides a great deal of data and determines trends in our automation sooner.

What needs improvement?

From a company use standpoint - I have no complaints. The one issue I have is the 14-day trial that a new user gets for free. I understand the concept of the trial period; however, I think this could be revamped to a free 30-minute run time every few months or after a significant update once the trial period has ended. Personally speaking - I like to maintain my automation framework and would like to occasionally test that it continues to run on Sauce Labs after releases without stealing from Sauce Labs.

I've been using Sauce Labs consistently for a year now since I've started with my company.  After being introduced to Sauce Labs, I've incorporated it into my framework that I maintain.

A previous solution I had used was running a VM from a NAS server to run our automation scripts.

Be sure to plan out your solution before starting the free trial; 14-days goes by rather quickly.

What other advice do I have?

Sauce Labs was already integrated into our framework and SDLC process when I started with the company.  After using it for a year now, I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Senior Software Test Automation Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Easy scaling to multiple web platforms. They still have platform-specific issues, especially on Mobile platforms.

What is our primary use case?

We use SauceLabs for Mobile, Browser and Backend testing.

Our QA requirement is to test our apps against all major browser platforms including Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Apart  of visual and functional testing of the application components, we also collect network traffic produced by the apps for further analysis. With latest update, accessing har files got supported natively by the SauceLabs.

For mobile testing we leverage Sauce Connect tunnels as we need to connect the application under test to the corporate network and collect the produced traffic as well.

How has it helped my organization?

1. Achieved better cross platform test coverage for both Browser and Mobile testing

2. Frontend and Backend testing are now more connected

3. With Sauce Analytics we now use resources in more optimal way and too extensive cloud resources usage is no longer a concern

4. We no longer need to support a huge farm of mobile devices - SauceLabs Real Device Cloud works pretty well for us.

5. In some cases, like peak real device usage, SauceLabs Real Device Cloud doesn't work as well due to the delay required to release devices after testing sessions end

What is most valuable?

1. Easy scaling to multiple web platforms -> SauceLabs was the cheapest option for us

2. Support of tunneling traffic from the cloud to the enterprise network -> that is just essential for our testing

3. Video recording of tests execution process -> shortened root cause analysis time for use by 30%

4. User groups management and cloud resources consumption control -> now each group of users under our organization has dedicated pool of devices/emulators and concurrent resources access is no longer an issue

What needs improvement?

1. They still have very slow support and ask many excessive questions before starting to fix the issue.

When we submit tickets in their reporting system, we expect them to start tracking down the problem as soon as possible. Instead, it looks like they ask standard questions just to delay work to a few days. E.g.
1st day: "Could you confirm you use the latest version" - "Yes, we do"

2nd day: "Ok. Can you then try to run that with extra flag Y and grab the log for us" - "Yes, please, take the log"

<2 days of silence>

5th day: ... - "Guys, is there any progress on that?"

and so on...

Sometimes questions are really unrelated and take time like "Have you read the Getting Started guide?"

2. They still have platform-specific issues, especially on Mobile platforms. They wouldn't affect trivial tests though.

E.g. they have issues related to SauceConnect traffic routing specific to iOS 9 and Android 4.

This affect tests that want to sniff the traffic only though. Please, let me know if you want more technical details.

3. Sometimes they change configuration options (e.g. rename...

E.g. recently they changed desired capability for iPhone Simulator in a way like "iPhone 6 simulator" > "iPhone 6"

That affected multiple tests suddenly. They haven't made any notification about that though.

I believe, for more than 7 years already

reviewer1400664 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Analyst II at Regal Entertainment Group
Enables us to configure multiple test scenarios and pinpoint which internet browser we want to test
    • "Another feature that could still be improved on is more error clarity. Sometimes when running automated scripts the test will fail on the device side instead of the script and errors only show a 500 try again message instead of a detailed script that could of a been a timeout error from the code."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for automation testing on mobile and web on our testing environment so we can implement continuous integration and continuous delivery into the workplace. With the automation practice being used we are able to deliver more and possibly deliver daily after each build is created in theory. With the automation, we can now focus time testing the higher traffic areas or higher risk areas that could possibly crash or cause a bad experience for the end-user of either the web or mobile application.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has improved the organization with the ability to test more internet browser configuration, more mobile testing devices that are not a flagship phone, and more operating systems. With the internet browser testing, we are able to config multiple test scenarios and pinpoint which internet browser we want to test on and what operating system we want to run the test on. So with Sauce Labs, we are able to cover multiple Chrome, Firefox, and safari variations to support and test for all users.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is their device bank. With this, I am able to test more niche phones that is not a flagship and have the ability to support the end-user. This has been useful because when older devices from Android and iOS are running older OS and they experience a crash, it has been hard in the past to replicate their issues without purchasing that device and hoping it matches the phone specs. With the device bank, it seems like all a major of phones from android 5.0 are covered up to the current.

What needs improvement?

A service that could be improved is some of their Wiki documents are either outdated or point to broken URLs; however when contacting the customer service they are able to respond in a quick manner with either an updated document or with the steps to fix the issue.

The company has been using Sauce Labs for 8 months.

No we were not using a different solution.

I think a longer trial period would be beneficial. Instead of 14 days look at 28 days due to in part the company that is on the trial period could be busy or possibly busy during the trial period.

We looked at other options but found that Sauce Labs was the best option to support both Web and Mobile.

Alejandro Garduno - PeerSpot reviewer
    Quality Assurance Lead at ZX-Ventures
    Good stability and interesting at a device level with the capability to automate processes

What is our primary use case?

I am part of the QA team. I am implementing this solution. Right now, we are also trying to implement this solution in order to gather results in the testing process.

We have several stores around the world, more specifically around Latin America. We are trying to automate many tasks for the mobile applications that we are building. We are also trying to automate many web tasks in order to upload items to the tool.

What is most valuable?

The device level of the platform is the most valuable aspect for our team.

So far, the stability has proven to be quite good.

The solution seems to have interesting automation capabilities that we still need to understand.

What needs improvement?

The testing process is difficult. I need to prove the complete competency of the tool, and I am finding that challenging.

Right now, we are in the initial phases when it comes to actually using the product. We are testing some tools in order to implement them in the future. We are in a very early stage.

While we are still in the early testing phase, from what I have seen so far, I can say the solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance appears to be very good.

That said, we still need more time to really dig into its capabilities.

We've been in touch with technical support as we've run into some issues and we want to better understand how the product will work in practice. We've been in touch to try to get a hold of someone that can walk us through a customer journey so that we have the knowledge we need to use the full potential of the product. We're still working on making this happen.

The solution has not been implemented fully yet. We are still trying to uncover if this is the right solution for our company. We seem to need assistance with support and with the setup process before it will actually go live. We're not far enough into the process to really discuss the deployment and if it is difficult, or complex, or very straightforward. Those details are still to be determined.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eigh tout of ten overall.

We had an issue in the past and we're looking further into the issue.