We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
reviewer1394535
Lead Quality Analyst at Derivco
Has helped keep the project turn around time on track
  • "Supplying devices to a testing team of possibly close to one thousand testers and developers is a great undertaking but Sauce Labs has made this very easy and a welcomed solution."
  • "If I had to speak of an area that could be improved it would probably have to be the speed of interaction with the devices. There is at times a considerable amount of lag while using some of the virtual and at times even physical device farm"

What is our primary use case?

The Primary use caes would be the following :

• Using the device farm and also using the ability to use the virtual and real devices for the purposes of software Quality Analysis testing.
  • There are projects that sometimes require a variety of devices to perform software testing on and having the repository of devices to choose from that my company might not have greatly assisted with this use.
  • Especially in handling massive loads of users. Since there is virtual emulation as well as device farms with actual devices this allows a great number of devices for a team to test with.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has been a saving grace for our company. More so in recent years if I'm going by my own personal experience.

When you consider the positive plus points relative to having multiple devices, especially with the recent pandemic being under lockdown as well as just a general work from home situation before. Having Sauce Labs farm has been greatly beneficial to many people within the organization and has helped keep the project turn around time on track.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is as I mentioned would be the benefit of having mobile devices on hand even if it's virtually so in abundance for our testers In my company.

Another positive is having an up to date device farm and virtual emulation of devices. The time it takes to allocate and purchase devices on the scale it would normally need is completely deducted from the issues we would have to face from a day perspective or even project-wise. On top of that, having to maintain these devices would be another undertaking and require resources that we as a company do not have to concern ourselves with anymore.

What needs improvement?

If I had to speak of an area that could be improved it would probably have to be the speed of interaction with the devices. There is at times a considerable amount of lag while using some of the virtual and at times even physical device farms. While this is absolutely better than not having it situation Sauce Labs certainly would benefit as well as we the user would certainly benefit from gaining a software interaction speed boost. Having it more consistent would be greatly appreciated if the long run. This is the only thing affecting the testing time at the moment and can even be seen as a disadvantage in comparison to having an actual physical device in hand.

i have been using saucelabs for about 6 years or so within the company I work for

Stability-wise it's just okay. The speed of this software needs to improve a lot of possible.

Very good as it has the ability to appeal to a lot of users despite some lagful moments.

Customer service is good. I have personally not had an issue myself but from those that have it has never been anything but positive .

I have not personally used another solution prior to Sauce Labs.

Pretty straightforward for the most part.

We deployed with an in-house team.

In terms of projects, it's per-project basis. So it varies but it certainly has saved time.

I'm unaware if my company has done so but I imagine they did and still chose Sauce Labs as the best option.

What other advice do I have?

It's certainly worth a try if anything . I can confirm it has definitely been a help to myself and the company I work for and it probably will do the same for others.

Ryan Craven
Quality Assurance Engineer at Optum
Insights provide a great overall state of the automation suite and can identify trends relatively quickly
  • "The insights section provides a great overall state of the automation suite and can identify trends relatively quickly. If we see a dip in our passing rate over time, we can look at what changed when the test started failing to find the root cause rather than doing a quick fix to find that the test fails a short time later."
  • "The one issue I have is the 14-day trial that a new user gets for free. I understand the concept of the trial period; however, I think this could be revamped to a free 30-minute run time every few months or after a significant update once the trial period has ended."

What is our primary use case?

My company uses Sauce Labs to run all smoke and regression tests for our application.

We primarily run our tests on Chrome 83, but we occasionally run on other versions (81 or 84) to check to compatibility. Our smoke suite runs on a nightly build, and regression on a bi-weekly basis.

For building out new automation features, we have to have a passing Sauce Lab run before creating a pull request. Doing this ensures that our new automation features will run on other environments and not just locally.

How has it helped my organization?

The visual data is helpful for all levels within the organization from the QE engineer level up to the director level.

The ability to change the browser version has also ensured that our application stays compatible with previous and updated browser versions.

What is most valuable?

One major feature that I like about Sauce Labs is the recording feature. I love the option to watch a video playback and command and view log when I'm trying to figure out why my test was passing locally but may fail on Sauce Labs. It's helped to make sure of my automation.

Another feature I find valuable is the ability to choose browser versions. This feature allows us to test on our minimum browser version but also check/verify that our application is working on the most recent browser version as well.

The insights tab is also very valuable, as I’ve discussed early; it provides a great deal of data and determines trends in our automation sooner.

What needs improvement?

From a company use standpoint - I have no complaints. The one issue I have is the 14-day trial that a new user gets for free. I understand the concept of the trial period; however, I think this could be revamped to a free 30-minute run time every few months or after a significant update once the trial period has ended. Personally speaking - I like to maintain my automation framework and would like to occasionally test that it continues to run on Sauce Labs after releases without stealing from Sauce Labs.

I've been using Sauce Labs consistently for a year now since I've started with my company.  After being introduced to Sauce Labs, I've incorporated it into my framework that I maintain.

A previous solution I had used was running a VM from a NAS server to run our automation scripts.

Be sure to plan out your solution before starting the free trial; 14-days goes by rather quickly.

What other advice do I have?

Sauce Labs was already integrated into our framework and SDLC process when I started with the company.  After using it for a year now, I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Learn what your peers think about Sauce Labs. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Software Test Automation Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Easy scaling to multiple web platforms. They still have platform-specific issues, especially on Mobile platforms.

What is our primary use case?

We use SauceLabs for Mobile, Browser and Backend testing.

Our QA requirement is to test our apps against all major browser platforms including Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Apart  of visual and functional testing of the application components, we also collect network traffic produced by the apps for further analysis. With latest update, accessing har files got supported natively by the SauceLabs.

For mobile testing we leverage Sauce Connect tunnels as we need to connect the application under test to the corporate network and collect the produced traffic as well.

How has it helped my organization?

1. Achieved better cross platform test coverage for both Browser and Mobile testing

2. Frontend and Backend testing are now more connected

3. With Sauce Analytics we now use resources in more optimal way and too extensive cloud resources usage is no longer a concern

4. We no longer need to support a huge farm of mobile devices - SauceLabs Real Device Cloud works pretty well for us.

5. In some cases, like peak real device usage, SauceLabs Real Device Cloud doesn't work as well due to the delay required to release devices after testing sessions end

What is most valuable?

1. Easy scaling to multiple web platforms -> SauceLabs was the cheapest option for us

2. Support of tunneling traffic from the cloud to the enterprise network -> that is just essential for our testing

3. Video recording of tests execution process -> shortened root cause analysis time for use by 30%

4. User groups management and cloud resources consumption control -> now each group of users under our organization has dedicated pool of devices/emulators and concurrent resources access is no longer an issue

What needs improvement?

1. They still have very slow support and ask many excessive questions before starting to fix the issue.

When we submit tickets in their reporting system, we expect them to start tracking down the problem as soon as possible. Instead, it looks like they ask standard questions just to delay work to a few days. E.g.
1st day: "Could you confirm you use the latest version" - "Yes, we do"

2nd day: "Ok. Can you then try to run that with extra flag Y and grab the log for us" - "Yes, please, take the log"

<2 days of silence>

5th day: ... - "Guys, is there any progress on that?"

and so on...

Sometimes questions are really unrelated and take time like "Have you read the Getting Started guide?"

2. They still have platform-specific issues, especially on Mobile platforms. They wouldn't affect trivial tests though.

E.g. they have issues related to SauceConnect traffic routing specific to iOS 9 and Android 4.

This affect tests that want to sniff the traffic only though. Please, let me know if you want more technical details.

3. Sometimes they change configuration options (e.g. rename...

E.g. recently they changed desired capability for iPhone Simulator in a way like "iPhone 6 simulator" > "iPhone 6"

That affected multiple tests suddenly. They haven't made any notification about that though.

I believe, for more than 7 years already

reviewer1400664
QA Analyst II at Regal Entertainment Group
Enables us to configure multiple test scenarios and pinpoint which internet browser we want to test
    • "Another feature that could still be improved on is more error clarity. Sometimes when running automated scripts the test will fail on the device side instead of the script and errors only show a 500 try again message instead of a detailed script that could of a been a timeout error from the code."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for automation testing on mobile and web on our testing environment so we can implement continuous integration and continuous delivery into the workplace. With the automation practice being used we are able to deliver more and possibly deliver daily after each build is created in theory. With the automation, we can now focus time testing the higher traffic areas or higher risk areas that could possibly crash or cause a bad experience for the end-user of either the web or mobile application.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has improved the organization with the ability to test more internet browser configuration, more mobile testing devices that are not a flagship phone, and more operating systems. With the internet browser testing, we are able to config multiple test scenarios and pinpoint which internet browser we want to test on and what operating system we want to run the test on. So with Sauce Labs, we are able to cover multiple Chrome, Firefox, and safari variations to support and test for all users.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is their device bank. With this, I am able to test more niche phones that is not a flagship and have the ability to support the end-user. This has been useful because when older devices from Android and iOS are running older OS and they experience a crash, it has been hard in the past to replicate their issues without purchasing that device and hoping it matches the phone specs. With the device bank, it seems like all a major of phones from android 5.0 are covered up to the current.

What needs improvement?

A service that could be improved is some of their Wiki documents are either outdated or point to broken URLs; however when contacting the customer service they are able to respond in a quick manner with either an updated document or with the steps to fix the issue.

The company has been using Sauce Labs for 8 months.

No we were not using a different solution.

I think a longer trial period would be beneficial. Instead of 14 days look at 28 days due to in part the company that is on the trial period could be busy or possibly busy during the trial period.

We looked at other options but found that Sauce Labs was the best option to support both Web and Mobile.

Alejandro Garduno
    Quality Assurance Lead at ZX-Ventures
    Good stability and interesting at a device level with the capability to automate processes

What is our primary use case?

I am part of the QA team. I am implementing this solution. Right now, we are also trying to implement this solution in order to gather results in the testing process. We have several stores around the world, more specifically around Latin America. We are trying to automate many tasks for the mobile applications that we are building. We are also trying to automate many web tasks in order to upload items to the tool.

What is most valuable?

The device level of the platform is the most valuable aspect for our team. So far, the stability has proven to be quite good. The solution seems to have interesting automation capabilities that we still need to understand.

What needs improvement?

The testing process is difficult. I need to prove the complete…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The device level of the platform is the most valuable aspect for our team.

So far, the stability has proven to be quite good.

What needs improvement?

The testing process is difficult. I need to prove the complete competency of the tool, and I am finding that challenging.

Right now, we are in the initial phases when it comes to actually using the product. We are testing some tools in order to implement them in the future. We are in a very early stage.

While we are still in the early testing phase, from what I have seen so far, I can say the solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance appears to be very good.

That said, we still need more time to really dig into its capabilities.

We've been in touch with technical support as we've run into some issues and we want to better understand how the product will work in practice. We've been in touch to try to get a hold of someone that can walk us through a customer journey so that we have the knowledge we need to use the full potential of the product. We're still working on making this happen.

The solution has not been implemented fully yet. We are still trying to uncover if this is the right solution for our company. We seem to need assistance with support and with the setup process before it will actually go live. We're not far enough into the process to really discuss the deployment and if it is difficult, or complex, or very straightforward. Those details are still to be determined.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eigh tout of ten overall.

We had an issue in the past and we're looking further into the issue.

reviewer1394979
    Lead QA Engineer at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    allows our testers to quickly identify issues but there inconsistencies with the tests
    • "As stated earlier we use Sauce Labs for a combination of automated testing and manual testing. Therefore the most useful features are the ability to run the functional automated tests via a Sauce Labs tunnels which allows access to applications in our internal network. The second most useful feature is the manual side."
    • "We have found that during automated testing this can be very slow. This causes inconsistencies with the tests. It's very difficult to rely on a service when you can't be sure if a test will pass or fail the next time it runs. This means building in a lot of sync time into the tests which in turn slows them down. If this speed could be improved then the service would be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sauce Labs for the following:

- Executing automated functional tests across multiple applications in a combination of about 5 browsers/os. These include IE11, Safari (latest), Edge (latest), Firefox (latest) and Chrome (latest).

- Running manual exploratory testing across the same browser mentioned above to get a hands-on view of the application running in each of the environments.

- We use the screenshots and videos to share the bugs or issues found with the teams to assist in the resolution of the bugs.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has improved the testing side of our organization in the following ways:

Sauce Labs runs a huge number of browser and operating system combinations it allows our teams to worry more about testing our applications than maintaining a combination of browser and os. Either through the Selenium grid or running the browsers locally. In essence, it allows our testers to concentrate on testing the application and not worrying about the infrastructure. It also allows us to target new browsers without the required setup of the new browser.

What is most valuable?

As stated earlier we use Sauce Labs for a combination of automated testing and manual testing. Therefore the most useful features are the ability to run the functional automated tests via Sauce Labs tunnels which allows access to applications in our internal network. The second most useful feature is the manual side. This allows our testers to quickly identify issues with the look and feel of our apps in the different browsers we support.  I have not had a requirement for mobile testing so cannot advise on that side.

What needs improvement?

We have used Sauce Labs extensively for the last 5 years across automated and manual testing and have found some problems during this time. Firstly as we use Sauce Labs to connect the tunnel to connect to apps in our internal network we have found that during automated testing this can be very slow. This causes inconsistencies with the tests. It's very difficult to rely on a service when you can't be sure if a test will pass or fail the next time it runs. This means building in a lot of sync time into the tests which in turn slows them down.  If this speed could be improved then the service would be much better.

Approximately 5 years.

The pricing is clear on the site - I would say it is more expensive than some alternatives.

reviewer1396401
    Senior QA Engineer at Indeed.com
    Increases cross-browser testing and reduces cost in purchasing and managing devices
    • "Sauce Lab analytics helped us to get detailed knowledge on test cases execution and logs."
    • "They should provide a JIRA integration plugin so that we can easily log issues."

What is our primary use case?

It is usually used for manual and automation testing for different browsers and OS.

Uses:

1. Running image comparisons on different devices

2. Run test cases on mobile and desktop OS and browsers

3. Running test cases on both production and QA

4. Sauce proxy helps us to run tests locally

5. Sauce lab analytics provide better experience to analyze failures and get run timing of test cases

6. Using it for both manual and automation

7. Can help to do compatibility testing of code in different OS

8. Reduce manual overhead

How has it helped my organization?

• It increases cross-browser testing and reduces cost in purchasing and managing devices
    • Helped team to run test cases locally on OS and browsers
    • Reduce device cost and handling, We lost many devices earlier
    • Ran test cases through Jenkins and capture results in a cool format
    • Easy to debug issues in all supported devices
    • Running test cases on both production and QA
    • Running image comparisons on different devices
    • Sauce l=Lab analytics provide a better experience to analyze failures and get run timing of test cases

What is most valuable?

1. For automation, it is really helpful as it provides logs and videos of test cases executed

2.  Parallel test execution helped us a lot to reduce test time

3. No maintenance of real devices

4. Sauce lab analytics: It helped us to get detailed knowledge on test cases execution and logs

5. Sauce proxy: Helped to run test cases on an internal network

6. Very easy to enable for automation

7. Vast devices and OS combinations helped us to keep track of world trends and usages

Helped us in testing IE devices is really beneficial

What needs improvement?

Improve easy way to automation testing and generate script automatically while running manual test cases on Sauce.

1. When running manual test cases, provide us a way to record and playback the same steps

2. Provide JIRA integration plugin so that we can easily log issues.

3. Provide easy way to create scripts automatically for manual steps and use sauce labs UI to execute it again

4. Sauce labs should provide their own email client and easy to send email in that user session

5. One-click setup for sauce proxy

I am using it for the last four years.

It is really cheap and fast.

reviewer1396425
    Senior Automation Engineer / Senior SDET at Setel
    Easy to integrate and has good video recording but the speed needs improvement
    • "The most valuable feature is the cross-browser feature, it has many android and iOS devices both simulators and real devices. It's easy to integrate. I also like video recording too."
    • "The only drawback is the speed, it will be good if we have a server in Asia too. It will be great if we can improve speed while initialization and execution."

How has it helped my organization?

Our primary use case is for cross-browser automation.

One more improvement would be the cost. It would be great if we can get more competitive pricing especially in terms of Real devices. Apart from this, I don't see any drawbacks. I love the support team. The user interface is very easy to integrate. It has solved so many hurdles very easily and my company is very happy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the cross-browser feature, it has many android and iOS devices both simulators and real devices. It's easy to integrate. I also like video recording too.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Sauce Labs for 3+ years.

The stability is excellent.

Scalability is very good.

Highly recommended.

We also evaluated AWS Device Farm.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)