George Karavitis - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at DIGITAL HORIZON
Reseller
A fantastic enterprise solution with good stability, security, and balancing between the access points
  • "Zero-handoff is one of the top features. The client balancing between the access points is good. Its security is also fine."
  • "Its pricing and licensing can be improved. Its UI can also be more user-friendly. Currently, in the Unleashed mode, the information that you have about the switches that you add to the controller is quite limited. I would like more information regarding switches. In this mode, an access point acts as a controller, so you don't need a controller. It is for deployments with less than 125 access points, and you can use an access point as a controller."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for hospitality and private companies. I have a private cloud server acting as a controller, and I also have it on-premises for some of the clients. Some of the clients also have it in the Unleashed mode, and they're using the embedded controller on the access point.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients have significantly improved their functions by reducing the number of access points and avoiding downtime, disconnect issues, and other issues.

I was trying to solve a problem for a client who had multiple access points to cover an area. There were several issues, and a colleague of mine suggested using Ruckus, and it was a revelation. It resolved all our issues. We changed from 12 access points to 3 access points, and everything started to work.

What is most valuable?

Zero-handoff is one of the top features. The client balancing between the access points is good. Its security is also fine.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing and licensing can be improved. Its UI can also be more user-friendly.

Currently, in the Unleashed mode, the information that you have about the switches that you add to the controller is quite limited. I would like more information regarding switches. In this mode, an access point acts as a controller, so you don't need a controller. It is for deployments with less than 125 access points, and you can use an access point as a controller.

Ruckus Wireless
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for the last five years.

It is quite stable.

Their technical support is fine. When and if I need something, they respond instantly.

I have used several solutions. In some cases, I am still using Ubiquity. If I have advanced requirements or need an enterprise solution, I go for Ruckus.

I have cloud and on-premises setups. Most of them were straightforward. Some of them were complex. In general, it takes a few hours for a site.

I am a reseller and system integrator.

It depends on the client. You have an initial license cost that you need to buy to bind the access point with the controller. This is a one-time fee. You also have to pay the support fee that, if I remember correctly, is about $25 per access point. Its pricing and licensing can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I am mostly using it as an access point. I plan to increase its usage and increase the number of companies. I would advise others to test the product. It is a fantastic product.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless a ten out of ten.

Joshy Varghese - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at Evenor Info Solutions Pvt Ltd
Stable, great in interior and exterior environments, and offers a strong signal
  • "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "The pricing of the product can be a bit expensive. They should work on making pricing more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution internally and also help clients set up the product for their companies.

It's a frequency. They will provide the tool and stable wireless frequencies.

How has it helped my organization?

The throughput has been excellent.

What is most valuable?

The solution does not disconnect, which is extremely helpful, especially when you are working from home.

The signal, strength-wise, is its most valuable aspect. These frequencies pass through touch one to 200 voltage. The distortion will not affect this product. That's why we suggest it to our clients.

The initial setup is very simple.

We have found the solution to be very stable. It's great in interior and exterior environments.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution since 2015.

It is a stable product. The product is very good and very reliable and functions well in indoor and outdoor settings.

The scalability of the product is quite good.

In my organization, right now, we have 35 workers and we are planning to move our office. There will be 5,200 people there.

We do plan to increase usage.

Technical support could be better. They should also have it so that it's included and you should not have to pay extra for it.

I'm also familiar with Aruba. Compared to Aruba, the frequency will not disconnect.

We tried Cisco, also, however, we heard that it's not a good product. Price-wise, they're really cheap, however, they are not a better product.

The initial setup is extremely simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. Typically, one access point can be deployed in 15 minutes.

The solution doesn't really need much maintenance. We have used it for seven or eight years without incident.

Our engineers are able to implement the solution for our clients. We can implement it for ourselves in-house using our team. We can easily mount the materials.

The product is very expensive. Technical support should also be included in the pricing.

We tend to deal with yearly licensing renewal fees. We buy packages in bundles and then, every year, we need to pay to renew.

What other advice do I have?

We are Ruckus partners. We are systems integrators.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Ruckus Wireless
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ICT Manager/Systems Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
Scales well with great technical support and great reliability
  • "The setup is very straightforward."
  • "The pricing is okay, however, it could be a bit lower."

What is our primary use case?

It's a wireless LAN solution. We are a college. We've got staff, students, guests, and admin staff. We use it to provide wireless internet connectivity for the third category of users usually separated by SA5U. We're using it for bringing on devices as a means by which our students can onboard their devices.

What is most valuable?

The setup is very straightforward. The configuration process is quite simple as well.

The stability is excellent.

We haven't had any issues with scaling.

It's easy enough to set up by yourself, and if you need help, they are ready to assist.

Their technical support is very responsive.

What needs improvement?

I cannot say that I have had any issues so far. I cannot recall missing any major features.

The pricing is okay, however, it could be a bit lower.

I've been using the solution for about six years now. It's been a while. I have quite a bit of experience.

The stability has been very good. It's so stable that we have never had problems for the past six years - and it's been running continuously with no issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to scale it, it can do so.

In fact, currently, we're actually in the process of increasing the number of access forms.

We have about 1300 users on the solution currently.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and found them to be very helpful and very responsive. You can reach them easily via chat or email. We are satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is very easy and it's quite a straightforward process. It's not overly complex or difficult. If you run into any issues, in any case, their support is right there to help.

The installation process doesn't take too long. It's only about a couple of hours or so if you are doing a setup from scratch.

We have two admins and four engineers that can assist with any deployment or maintenance.

The pricing could always be a bit lower.

You do need to pay for an annual support license.

What other advice do I have?

We were using that B3000, we are moving to BXV now.

We've been quite happy with the solution and are even expanding it out right now. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten overall.

I would highly recommend the product to other users or organizations.

Abdul Basit - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Design Engineer at Comstar - Information Systems Associates Ltd.
Good customization capabilities with easy scalability and a straightforward setup
  • "The solution is very user friendly."
  • "They should work to make their licensing more affordable."

What is our primary use case?

We belong to the hotel industry. In the hotel itself, we have deployed WIFI fully throughout the establishment. So far, it is working perfectly.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a lot of great features to its users.

The multiple FSIVs is great.

The meshing is very effective.

The solution has a very high bandwidth.

We've found the initial setup to be straightforward.

The solution is very user friendly.

It offers good customization capabilities.

We have found the dashboards to be quite good.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally, we have found some controllers malfunctioning. However, that is rare, and largely the solution works perfectly.

They should work to make their licensing more affordable.

I've been using the solution for five to six years at this point. It's been a while for sure.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I've found it to be extremely reliable.

The solution scales quite easily when you need it to. We use and mix and match the old and new versions as we change rapidly. We have our older equipment that hits its end of life, and we deploy new ones to cover the old. We are able to do this pretty seamlessly, and, if we need to, we can just continuously add on based on our requirements.

Everyone who works in our organization uses the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support multiple times. When we create a ticket, they are quite responsive. We're satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation.

We deployed almost 420 pieces and in total it only took us about a month and a half.

The licensing is paid on a yearly basis. We are working with three yearly licenses.

The pricing is okay, however, it could be more affordable.

We have looked at Aruba and Cisco as well as ExtremeWireless and compared them all to Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

We are a large partner.

We don't use the latest version of the solution every single time. Often we mix and match versions.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. We've been largely very happy with the product overall.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

EmilioOgando - PeerSpot reviewer
Integration Manager at Newcom
MSP
Easy to set up with good reliability and responsive technical support
  • "In general, all implementations are standard and pretty straightforward."
  • "The solution could include more security features."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator; our function is to sell Ruckus solutions to our clients and to implement the solution for them. It's a good solution for wireless WiFi connectivity.

What is most valuable?

Our clients are in the hospitality industry and it's been very good at meeting their needs. The WiFi connections are good.

In general, all implementations are standard and pretty straightforward. These implementations typically cover the connection to the corporate network integrated with Microsoft's Active Directory and other services that bring network access to the clients so that it's easy to get onto the internet.

The stability has been good.

We find the solution to be scalable.

Technical support is responsive and knowledgeable.

What needs improvement?

The solution could include more security features. For example, with other solutions, there is a security feature added to connect to the internet. In the case of Ruckus, they don't have any security solution to connect to the internet. Clients want more security, which is why it's important Ruckus begins to think of ways to offer more robust connection options that will help customers feel safer.

Just two weeks ago I implemented a Ruckus Wireless solution for our client. I deal with it regularly. In general, I have about three years of experience with the solution.

The stability is great. It's reliable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution has scaled well. A customer shouldn't have any issues expanding the product.

Technical support has been very good. In any situation where I have had to reach out, they have been quick to respond and my issues were resolved in a timely manner. We are quite satisfied with their level of attention and knowledge.

The initial implementations have been standard and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

As integrators, we are able to assist our clients in the initial setup process.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrator of Ruckus. We offer Ruckus solutions to our clients.

I'm not sure of the exact version number I last installed, however, it was the latest solution that covers smartphones. It had the wireless controller of Ruckus and different equipment covering WiFi 5 and WiFi 6.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I'd give it a rating of nine out of ten. We've been very pleased with it overall.

Networking Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and scalable solution that lets you visualize the network, manage it through a cell phone, and check the quality of a signal
  • "I can manage the network through a cell phone, which is a plus from my side. I am also able to visualize the network. I can also check the quality of the signal for different clients that are currently connected and see whether the quality is excellent, moderate, or poor. Sometimes, I can even adjust the signal strength."
  • "They could add more flexibility for switching over to another radio if a radio is poor. I am not able to change the radios from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. I am yet to figure it out. I want it to be a bit more explicit or a bit easier to change radios. When you shut it down, you lose some of the information. It would be good to have a controller where I can store the information, and later on, I can retrieve the information. There should be some form of small storage to keep the information. Its price should also be improved. Its price is currently quite high."

What is our primary use case?

Ruckus Wireless was deployed almost four or five years ago for our Wi-Fi network, but we were not using it for our highest metric. We recently started using it for our internal network. We are using Ruckus Wireless for the metric that is connecting the top management to the internet.

What is most valuable?

I can manage the network through a cell phone, which is a plus from my side. I am also able to visualize the network. I can also check the quality of the signal for different clients that are currently connected and see whether the quality is excellent, moderate, or poor. Sometimes, I can even adjust the signal strength.

What needs improvement?

They could add more flexibility for switching over to another radio if a radio is poor. I am not able to change the radios from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. I am yet to figure it out. I want it to be a bit more explicit or a bit easier to change radios.

When you shut it down, you lose some of the information. It would be good to have a controller where I can store the information, and later on, I can retrieve the information. There should be some form of small storage to keep the information.

Its price should also be improved. Its price is currently quite high.

Based on the experience so far, it is stable. I'm judging based on the experience of the people who are using it. I am using it for the top management, and I have also put an order for more APs.

It is scalable. You can connect the APs through a mesh without using cables, which makes it easy to scale out.

I haven't contacted them yet because I can handle the challenges. If I get something that is beyond what I can handle, I will get in touch.

It was okay. I didn't need any training for the setup. You simply go through the manual. I saw a video just once and then installed it.

I did it on my own.

It is a good product, but it is pricey. In terms of the pricing, it is a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but they should reduce the price.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

Housni Hammoud - PeerSpot reviewer
Coordinator of the IT Department at College Notre-Dame
Reliable Wi-Fi connection improved our organization's remote teaching setup
  • "The most valuable feature is that this solution is reliable."
  • "We use this solution in a certain way, and it works very well. So, I don't expect it to do a lot more, but to do what it's doing probably better or faster. But it's not a problem with the features; it's more the operations."

What is our primary use case?

My organization is a college, so we just want to make sure we have a reliable Wi-Fi connection for the students.

We are using the latest version of Ruckus. It is deployed on-premise.

Right now, there are over 2,000 people using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We were in a bad shape, especially with remote teaching and things like that, so now everything's all right because of the reliability of Ruckus.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that this solution is reliable.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for the past 12 months.

The stability is fine. We haven't had any problems.

We haven't had any issues with the scalability.

Technical support is good. I would rate it a 4 out of 5. There's still some improvement that could be made.

We have also used Cisco. We switched because of many reasons, but staying with Cisco would have cost us almost double the price. So, we had to change. It's not a question of reliability because Cisco is reliable also. It's more a question of something that's not for corporations and more for education in our case.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4.

Deployment took a week. We require less than 5% of our staff for maintenance of this solution to be hassle-free.

We used an integrator for deployment.

I would rate their pricing 3 out of 5.

There is no annual licensing cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

It's very good for our needs, but because it's a school, it maybe wouldn't be as good for a corporation or for other users. For our school, it's very reliable. We have peaks, but it's always well-managed. We don't have any problems.

Badar Raqeeb - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Lead at Comstar - Information Systems Associates Ltd.
Good bandwidth and coverage, but the pricing is high
  • "It's good for low-level usage."
  • "The initial setup is complex."

How has it helped my organization?

We are primarily using the solution as a third party. Our clients use it.

What is most valuable?

It's good for low-level usage.

The coverage is pretty good so far. The bandwidth is also good for the most part.

What needs improvement?

It's not providing the bandwidth as per its particular description. In my view, in one moment, it reduced one-fourth.

The controller needs improvement. Sometimes when we are doing certain operations we have trouble. It's something that needs to be looked at. We looked at APM controllers and we find them to be more difficult.

The initial setup is complex.

We have a variety of clients on the solution, and they are different sizes. Some are medium-sized. Others are large enterprise-level organizations.

While the technical support is good, they do charge money if you want to have access to the support itself. That said, we're mostly satisfied with the level of service we are provided. It's not a bad service on offer.

I do currently use Infinit Wireless Quanta products. I'm also familiar with Ubiquiti Wireless solutions.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's pretty complex. We found it to be a bit challenging.

The deployment itself takes about two to three hours.

You do need to pay extra for technical support services if you would like to have access to them.

When we first offer Ruckus Wireless to our clients, they ask the price and are a bit shocked. They asked why we chose this when there are other lower options on the market. It's a hard sell sometimes due to the price tag. It's something they need to work on so that they align better with the market and get more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners. We offer this solution to our clients.

I personally am not much of a technical person, and therefore it's hard to get into specifics.

On the bandwidth and coverage, I would rate Ruckus at a nine out of ten. However, if we are looking at just pricing, I would rate it at a seven out of ten. Overall, in general, I would rate the solution as a whole at an eight out of ten. We're mostly happy with its capabilities, however, the price makes it a hard sell to clients.

Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022