IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Jim Graue - PeerSpot reviewer
Support Technician at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Offers a very secure network by enabling restriction of user numbers and accessibility when required
  • "The solution now includes a multi-screen feature which is great."
  • "Sometimes difficult to set up without the requirement for login credentials each time."

What is our primary use case?

We predominantly use RDS to connect up to a computer and a LAN. We are non-profit and help other non-profits with their technology. We are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

This is a user-friendly solution and I'm very pleased that RDS now includes multi-screen. If you're remotely controlling a system that has two monitors, you can split and have your own, it's a nice feature. I like the ubiquity of the product, the fact that it's around as a protocol, and that it can be utilized at the admin level to look at any console that one might need. You don't need to think about it very much. Of course, the fact that it uses an active directory for security and authentication is pretty nice. It helps secure a network to a large extent because you can really restrict the number of users and accessibility if needed. Those are all good things.

What needs improvement?

I've sometimes had trouble setting up an RDS connection if I want a specific user to be able to log in with their credentials and have the RDS element retain those settings so that the password isn't required each time. There can be issues with that.

I've been using this solution for many, many years.

Remote Access
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, TeamViewer, Citrix and others in Remote Access. Updated: July 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've got no issues with the stability of RDS.

I don't have much to offer regarding scalability. We use RDS predominantly for admin connection to other servers in a network. I might log into one computer in a remote network and then use RDS to get from that server to a different server but that's as far as it goes.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward, especially if you're familiar with the solution. Most organizations we deal with have a technician, or at least a network administrator who deals with any day-to-day issues. We generally maintain the operating system for these organizations and we run updates on them all the time.

What other advice do I have?

There's nothing to be afraid of with this solution. I don't have any problems with it, it's great for me.

I rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Technical Manager at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very user friendly, has smooth connectivity and works with a low bandwidth
  • "The solution has very smooth connectivity and is very user friendly."
  • "Updates sometimes impact the application and we have system crashes."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a technical manager and we are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very smooth connectivity and is a very user friendly product. An additional advantage is that it works with very low bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

We've had a few occasions when the application has crashed suddenly, possibly due to updates. Microsoft updates should not directly impact the application and rather than releasing post hotfixes, it would be better to carry out testing before releasing it to the environment. It's a challenge for us; the new application is upgraded, but there's an incompatibility. It should be the other way around - testing in the lab environment and then commercially released.

An additional feature we'd like to see would be cross-platform support. With more OSs in the market whether Microsoft, iMac or Android applications, it would be good to have a smooth transition between cross-platform support both in terms of operating system and in terms of devices. Moving from tabs to mobiles to desktops to laptops to notebooks - the transition between multiple OSs and multiple hardwares.

I've been using this solution for the last five years.

The solution is stable.

The product is scalable, we have over 500 users.

The quality of the technical support is quite good although it's often dependent on the quality of the Microsoft partner. If the partner is good, then support is good but if not, there can be issues.

The pricing in comparison to similar products is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest a UAT test on a smaller group or pilot deployment. Once you do a test run on the pilot deployment, then it should be rolled out for a larger base of users.

In terms of overall experience, I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Remote Access
July 2022
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Joe Appelgryn - PeerSpot reviewer
Implementation Engineer at Border Business Systems
Easy to set up, performs well, and saves us money on hardware costs
  • "The most valuable feature is performance."
  • "It could be made simpler from a management perspective."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for small-scale virtual desktop applications. It is utilized for normal desktop usage.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution saves us time and money because running applications directly on the server means that we can use lower-priced, entry-level computers for the users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is performance. We run all of our applications on the server and access them using this product, which is must faster than upgrading all of the desktops.

What needs improvement?

It could be made simpler from a management perspective.

It should be easier to set it up for desktop printing.

We have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for about five years. When we started using this product, it was called Terminal Services.

This product is quite stable and we have never had any problems with it.

Given our usage, we have not had to deal with scaling this product.

I've worked with VMware Horizon and Citrix before.

VMware Horizon is easier to manage, although the Microsoft product is easier to install than other solutions.

The initial setup is relatively easy. In that regard, Microsoft is easier to install than the VMware ones that I've worked with, as well as Citrix.

We set everything up ourselves and I haven't had the need to consult anybody else for technical support.

The pricing could always be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works well, it is fine for the purpose that we use it, and I recommend it.

ICT Infrastructure Specialist at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very reliable and scalable, good pricing, and supports HTML5 web client
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution at the moment is the HTML5 web client. You get a browser experience, not just the terminal sort of client, and the integration with Azure multi-factor application."
  • "Its look and feel could be updated. In Azure Remote Desktop Services (RDS), which is a VDI solution, we would like to see linked clones. It is a Hyper-V solution, and it doesn't support linked clones and uses a lot of storage. That's why we don't use it. VMware has a similar solution that supports linked clones for the master image."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is two-fold. We use it for securing workplaces in our on-premise environment for remote users. We also use it for management. We manage most of our environments from a secure remote desktop in our data center. We connect through a remote desktop gateway with a two-factor application installed there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution at the moment is the HTML5 web client. You get a browser experience, not just the terminal sort of client, and the integration with Azure multi-factor application.

What needs improvement?

Its look and feel could be updated.

In Azure Remote Desktop Services (RDS), which is a VDI solution, we would like to see linked clones. It is a Hyper-V solution, and it doesn't support linked clones and uses a lot of storage. That's why we don't use it. VMware has a similar solution that supports linked clones for the master image.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It is very reliable.

It is very scalable. At the moment, we have around 2,000 users.

We have a Premier support contract, and it works great.

Its initial setup was straightforward. Because of COVID-19, we had to deploy workspaces for our users. It was fairly simple to deploy our RDS farm so that our users could work safely from home.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. We're on the educational or academic license, and our terms are good. We're very happy with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Microsoft Remote Desktop Services an eight out of ten.

Process Control and Automation Engineer - PCD Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and easy to use product, could be made simple from the perspective of the end user
  • "The technical support is good."
  • "From the perspective of an IT professional, Microsoft Remote Desktop is very easy to use. However, it could be made easier to use for the end user, especially when it comes to activating it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Remote Desktop if we want, for example, to help a user that has a problem. We can also use it to take the control of a computer on a remote location.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the product has been most valuable to me. This is especially true if you use a Microsoft product to connect to Microsoft Remote Desktop. There is no broker in between. Microsoft Remote Desktop is something that comes with Windows at no cost unless you use a Microsoft server.

For me, it boils down to simplicity. There is no cost and the setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

From the perspective of an IT professional, Microsoft Remote Desktop is very easy to use. However, it could be made easier to use for the end user, especially when it comes to activating it.

Microsoft could also improve the sustainability of this product, especially in terms of account redundancy. They could also add something like a log to make more easy to use so that they can easily prevent some of the failures. I think Microsoft can do better.

I have been using Microsoft servers for more than 20 years. My first Microsoft server was NT 3.5.

Microsoft Remote Desktop is quite stable product now, particularly if you compare it to previous version.

Microsoft Remote Desktop is scalable.

The technical support is good. I have had some issues with them, but most of time the technical support is good. Phone support is difficult for me to use but the Microsoft Knowledge Base has been helpful. It is easy to find solutions to problems in the knowledge base. You can also get email support, which is useful.

Tellers at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, integrates well between PowerPoint and Excel, and it's easy to use
  • "Everything is really good and it works well."
  • "The user interface needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this product to do my PowerPoint presentations, keep my records, and perform my database queries.

I also use it for integration.

What is most valuable?

Everything is really good and it works well.

It has all of the features, for example, Microsoft Office, and PowerPoint. It integrates well between Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel, where you can edit the PowerPoint presentation in Excel. It's a feature of integration.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs improvement.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This solution is stable. It works well.

We have approximately 5,000 users in our organization.

I have not used technical support yet.

Previously, I did not use another product. I have only used Microsoft.

The initial setup was easy, I did it from scratch.

It took 15 minutes to deploy.

We have technical people to maintain this product and we contact Microsoft whenever we need to.

I implemented this solution myself.

It's not an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I plan to use this product in the future. It's something that is important in my life.

Most of my friends use this product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Senior Technical Consultant - Private Sector at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable and scalable application virtualization that is easy to use
  • "The most valuable feature is ease of use."
  • "I would like to see a web-based interface, instead of client installation to refresh the UI through HTML."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for application virtualization, actual application location, and location setting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ease of use.

What needs improvement?

While it's not expensive, the pricing could always be better.

I would like to see a web-based interface, instead of client installation to refresh the UI through HTML.

When comparing with other vendors offering applications not with a client module, but through the web through HTML, this should be the next step for Microsoft.

I have been using Remote Desktop Services for six years.

This is a stable solution and we have not experienced any issues.

We have not had any issues with scalability.

We have approximately 200 people using office applications centers.

We have not contacted technical support. We have experts locally to assist us with the box app in Microsoft. We were not faced with any serious problems.

It's not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using a lot of Microsoft technologies. We have also tested their virtual desktop on Azure.

I would rate Microsoft Remote Desktop Services an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

IBM
Easy to use, and provides for application sharing
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of use."
  • "I would like to be able to access the remote desktop using a web-based interface, rather than having to use the client."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for application virtualization and application sharing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for six years.

We have no trouble with stability at the moment.

This is a scalable product. We have about 200 people who are using Office applications.

We have local Microsoft technical support and we have never faced any serious problems.

I have used similar products by different vendors and the difference between Microsoft and the others is the client. Microsoft needs to have the client installed, whereas other vendors use a web-based interface.

Although not an expensive product, pricing is always something that can be improved.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Remote Access Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, TeamViewer, Citrix, and more!
Updated: July 2022