We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Engineer consultant at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
A complete backup solution but very expensive
  • "It has a very good user interface."
  • "It is a very expensive solution. They should have a different scheme for selling it. They should also make it easy for us to switch from Solaris to Linux. We are having some trouble in migrating our actual catalog from Solaris to Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the daily backup.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good user interface.

What needs improvement?

It is a very expensive solution. They should have a different scheme for selling it.

They should also make it easy for us to switch from Solaris to Linux. We are having some trouble in migrating our actual catalog from Solaris to Linux.

I have been using this solution for 13 years.

It has very good stability.

Its scalability is very good so far.

I never used their technical support. It has good documentation and information.

We switched because of the price and support.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment is quick, but some systems can have issues.

I used integrators. They were very good. I have two people for its maintenance.

It is very expensive. The licensing cost for this solution is on a yearly basis. It is approximately 50k. We will continue using it at least for the next year, but we are currently doing an analysis to switch to some other solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mature and complete solution for backup. I would rate Veritas NetBackup a seven out of ten.

Nicco Putra
Alliance Manager at Berca Hardaya Perkasa
Good platform compatibility and fast backup
  • "Best feature is its three-tier backup."
  • "Main area that could be improved is the pricing, to make it more competitive"

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is backup for the production server and then for the development. The platform is back up for Linux, Selaris, HP, Apex, IAAS, AIX, and then for the virtualization, VMware, backup to AWS, and the container route.

What is most valuable?

Veritas NetBackup's best feature is its three-tier backup, which makes the process a lot faster. I have also found their duplication feature to be valuable, as it allows duplication in the client side, a media server side, or in OST storage. The product also has a lot of compatibility with platforms.

What needs improvement?

I think the main area that could be improved is the pricing, to make it more competitive. In the next release, I would like to see the ability to back up Office 365 and Google Workspace.

I have been using this solution for around ten years.

This is a stable product.

The product is scalable.

The remote support and their support center are good. The knowledge base provided on their website is also very helpful.

The product is easy to set up in small environments, but it would be more complex in larger ones.

What other advice do I have?

I think Veritas NetBackup is the perfect product for a backup system. I would rate this product as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jose Ortega
Solution Architect at Sites
Stable and scalable product with new free resiliency feature
  • "Veritas released a new feature in version 8 of NetBackup called VRP. It's kind of like replication management from VMware. The great thing about this feature is that Veritas gave it to us for free."
  • "I also think they could improve the reporting. They use a web-based software application OpsCenter for the reporting and I see that they haven't made any changes in years."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for NetBackup is to protect all the servers and applications that we have in our company.

What is most valuable?

Veritas released a new feature in version 8 of NetBackup called VRP. It's kind of like replication management from VMware.

The great thing about this feature is that Veritas gave it to us for free.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we have problems with the support team. They always end up solving and fixing everything, but sometimes they are slow to respond. Maybe they can increase the number of personnel they have for the Spanish language.

I also think they could improve the reporting. They use a web-based software application OpsCenter for the reporting and I see that they haven't made any changes in years.

My company has been using this solution for eight years.

This solution is stable.

Veritas NetBackup is very scalable.

I personally have a lot of experience with this product, but someone without a whole lot of knowledge about it would have to partner up with a vendor. I would say overall deployment is at a medium level of difficulty.

It takes about a week to deploy the solution. This is a backend solution, a master server. Sometimes, it can be difficult to set up the window changes, configure the Oracle database, etc.

Trainee em T.I. at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible and reliable with good backup capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up vital aspects of our workload.

What is most valuable?

The backup aspect of the solution is the most valuable aspect of the solution. The product is quite flexible.  The product is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

We would like the Java console to be updated. They need to redo the console so that it is no longer on Java. It's outdated.

I've been using the solution for three years. I've used it for a while.

I have found the solution to be stable for the most part. It's not buggy. I haven't dealt with glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable so far.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up vital aspects of our workload.

What is most valuable?

The backup aspect of the solution is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The product is quite flexible.

The product is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three years. I've used it for a while.

I haven't really used technical support. I wouldn't be able to effectively comment on how their services are or if they are helpful if a client has an issue.

I did not handle the initial setup. Therefore, I cannot speak to how easy or difficult the setup process is, or how long the deployment takes

What other advice do I have?

We're a Veritas partner.

I use two versions of the solution: 8.3.0.1 and 9.1. We use it both on-premises and on the cloud.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been pretty satisfied with it overall.

Ahmed Sabry
Team Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simplest on the market, scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a storage unit.

What is most valuable?

I have found it to be the simplest solution on the market. It gives us a complete end to end solution. We are using this solution, Veritas Appliance and another one for access archiving. It is convenient to have all the support from one vendor.

I have been using the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

In my experience it is scalable. We have five administrators involved in using the solution.

Support for the solution needs improvement. When we contacted…

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a storage unit.

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

Support for the solution needs improvement. When we contacted support with issues, we had to be passed on to the higher level of the support team, going from level one through to three. We only managed to get a solution for our issues once we spoke to the level three support team. The lower level support is not familiar with the complexity and did not have any answers. When we frequently dealt with the support they were not able to pass us on directly to level three. This was tiresome having to deal with the lower levels not being qualified for a solution until we managed to get to level three.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

Systems Administrator at a logistics company with 51-200 employees
Secure, reliable, and has good support
  • "We believe that everything Veritas NetBackup offers, including backups, snapshots, deduplication, and replication, is valuable."
  • "System administrators would be more efficient in NetBackup if the number of tools and command lines was reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup, to back up everything, especially the IT platforms and infrastructures.

How has it helped my organization?

Veritas NetBackup has assisted our company in securing data, protecting data, and protecting our business.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than 15 years.

Veritas NetBackup is a stable product.

You can say that it is scalable.

Technical support is great.

In my opinion, I would say the initial setup is a complex process.

We require a specialized team to maintain this solution.

For the time being, we are handling or managing the backup solution on our own, but we may need assistance from support to resolve issues with the backup.

It is an expensive solution. It's expensive because it provides many features and options.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, it is the best backup solution available. I would rate Veritas NetBackup a ten out of ten.

Amin Anwar
Sr. Pre-sale and implementation consultant( Business Continuity & Data Protection) at Veritas Partner
Provides end-to-end support for all your workload
  • "The most valuable feature is that you don't need any special connectivity - you just need to give your seller name, and then it automatically discovers all your virtual machines, which is a great benefit, especially in a bigger environment."
  • "The product could improve the user-friendliness and comfort of its environment, especially for those unfamiliar with it."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for disaster recovery or recovering anything from our other data center.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The product could improve the user-friendliness and comfort of its environment, especially for those unfamiliar with it. There is also an issue with glitches in the network, which forces us to check the connectivity. In addition, some solutions are only available to internal Veritas users, not to customers or partners, and you have to allow Veritas to test your network before they give a report. This is a problem, and Veritas needs to add functionality for customers to test their own networks.

I've been using this solution for ten years.

The scalability of this product is good.

The technical support is good.

Deployment was fine, though there is an issue with seeing skills certificates.

What other advice do I have?

NetBackup provides end-to-end support for all your workload and gives good support overall. I would give this solution a score of eight out of ten.

Senior Infrastructure Consultant at FORUM INTERNATIONAL
Simplistic user interface, good compatibility, and detailed documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup to backup any system or database.

What is most valuable?

The main features of this solution are deduplication, compression, ease of use, simplistic user interface, and compatibility with all the backup service systems.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than 10 years.

The solution is not that stable because it has to be monitored and administered every day. The stability could be improved.

We have approximately 10 customers using this solution.

We were satisfied with the technical support.

How was the initial

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup to backup any system or database.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for more than 10 years.

We have approximately 10 customers using this solution.

We were satisfied with the technical support.

The installation requires some knowledge, but the procedure is easy and there is a lot of clear detailed documentation you can follow available.

The installation time can vary depending on the size of the environment. On average it can take between five to seven days.

We did the implementation of the solution and we used one engineer.

There is a license required for this solution and it is priced based upon the data used.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.