Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Owen Aaron - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Systems Manager at a construction company with 1-10 employees
Saves headaches for our employees and provides cost-effective protection
  • "It works as it should. It allows users to manage emails that they receive, meaning they can set up whitelists and blacklists."
  • "The big issue that I've had is that the length of time that an email is kept in quarantine is only seven days and, in some cases, it is not even seven days... if I had a 20-day or 30-day repository, if someone came to me and said, "Hey, I can't get this back," I could end up getting it to them from the archive."

What is our primary use case?

We have a business in which all of our users have email accounts. SpamTitan is an email gateway and it checks for spam, as the name implies, but it also checks for viruses and phishing emails to help stop them. We use it to help keep our company's email safe.

How has it helped my organization?

I get the same or even fewer number of requests from users about email, per month, and those requests have more to do with something having been quarantined, as opposed to whether something is a phishing email.

SpamTitan does a good job of grabbing all the newsletters and other things that come through. It saves a little bit of headache for our employees.

What is most valuable?

It has a quarantine bank where it keeps emails that it believes are spam so that users can access and retrieve them if need be, and say they're not spam.

I have an administrative panel to globally add whitelist or blacklist entries. Also, if I need to look for an email that was quarantined because a user isn't sure how to access it, I have the ability to look into everyone's quarantine and take some kind of action on them, such as delivering them. We usually deliver them to the employee instead of them having to wait for the spam report.

What needs improvement?

The big issue that I've had is that the length of time that an email is kept in quarantine is only seven days and, in some cases, it is not even seven days. For example, on Monday this week, someone reported she had received some automated messages on Friday night. But by Monday, because it was a DMARC, she couldn't retrieve them and I couldn't find them either. It's great that it grabs things, but I wish that I could tune things more. Perhaps I could have a second quarantine area. Maybe users wouldn't need to access things older than seven days, but if I had a 20-day or 30-day repository, if someone came to me and said, "Hey, I can't get this back," I could end up getting it to them from the archive.

That would make my life a lot easier because there have been a few times over the last year when someone has come to me and I said they haven't been able to retrieve an email because it had been simply deleted.

Even if it went into some type of cold storage, so it wouldn't cost much, it would give me a way to access them, if need be, even if it took 24 hours for me to access them.

Another feature that would be nice would be a button in Outlook to be able to report something as spam so that the system could learn. If an email doesn't get reported as spam and comes through, there's no way to tell it that it is spam. That type of button is important for that feedback because it improves the algorithm. They are working on a button but it still hasn't been implemented.

TitanHQ SpamTitan
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about TitanHQ SpamTitan. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using TitanHQ SpamTitan for a little over a year.

I haven't had any issues with the stability.

Their technical support is pretty good. I don't think I've had to wait more than half an hour or an hour for them to get back to me. They don't have live phone support, rather it's an email ticket system, but the nice thing is that you can look at any of your past tickets. So, if you run into an issue that you had before, it's pretty easy to do.

I haven't had to contact them that much except for when I have been trying to access an email that has been deleted, and there's not much they can do then. But overall, it just works.

Positive

The reason I looked into a gateway was that, in the same month, I received a number of questions about phishing emails, or emails with attachments. The people didn't know who they came from. Going with SpamTitan was one of a number of things I did to combat that.

We didn't have a previous solution, other than Microsoft's spam folder. That does an okay job for free, but it was not on this level.

I did the setup that makes SpamTitan the intermediary, so emails go to them first, and then to Office 365. The initial setup wasn't too difficult and if I had any questions, a sales engineer was there to help. She knew enough about the product to help me with any of the questions that I had.

The overall project included identifying the need, getting buy-in from the company, and then the search for potential suppliers. I had questions for all of them to figure out which one would be the best fit. Once we decided on SpamTitan, it was just a matter of looking over their instructions. They have a setup page on their website and they linked me to that.

The instructions could be changed a little bit. It took me a couple of takes to read through them because they have both onsite and cloud. There were a couple of settings that were a little bit unclear as to which one they were for, but you could eventually figure it out.

I did the setup myself. Once we purchased it, the installation was done within a day, including reading the instructions, going through the process, and then testing it afterward.

We renewed SpamTitan, so I think the company does see the benefit.

We're satisfied with the pricing and licensing for SpamTitan. They worked with us on that, because, fully staffed, we have around 110 people which would have required that we purchase 200 seats from them. But because we're a non-profit, they said 100 is fine, and if it fluctuates up or down, they're not going to hold us to it. They were really understanding about our issues with cost.

I looked at Barracuda, Mimecast, and a couple of others, but SpamTitan provided all the features that we needed, and it was cost-effective. The second choice would have been Barracuda, which had all of the features that we needed, plus a lot of the features that we wanted. SpamTitan couldn't provide everything that I wanted, but at least it handles the security part.

At this point, SpamTitan doesn't filter email between Office 365 users. It filters email that's coming in, but if somehow one of my clients gets a virus, it could be sent out to everyone in the company and that wouldn't go through SpamTitan. For example, if it's a Zero-day attack, SpamTitan may not know right off the top that it's a virus. The virus companies might not know yet that it's a Zero-day and it could get through. But Barracuda looks for suspicious activity in accounts that are sending emails to each other. If an account that doesn't normally blast emails out to everyone starts doing that with attachments, that will look fishy to Barracuda and it can stop it or identify it. That can help stop issues from happening.

That was one of the only things Barracuda does that spam Titan doesn't.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if it does a great job in terms of false positives, but it's easy to remedy if there are any. It doesn't happen that often, but I don't know if that's due to our users not going outside of our ecosystem that much, or something else. But, at least in the report section, you can see what the email scored, and that can give you an idea of why it was flagged.

It can be a little bit annoying to the user, at times, because they have to take another step to get some of their emails. But they understand the importance of the solution. There are a few hindrances now and then, but for the most part, it's very good.

It's a great first security gateway to try out, unless you know what you want, especially if cost is a factor.

Director Of Information Technology at CBI Group – Culture-Based Interiors
Saves employees from having to sort through junk and spam email, and drastically improved our security
  • "Another nice feature is how tailored it is so that I can adjust the domain reputation score. At certain times of the year we run marketing campaigns and I can raise the score a little bit and that way we get feedback more readily. And during Christmas time, when the bad guys try to pull people in, I can turn it down and make it a little bit tighter."
  • "It would be nice if the reporting feature could be updated. Also, the feel of the web interface is a little dated."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for spam filtering and anti-phishing on our email products.

How has it helped my organization?

When I started with my current company two years ago, it didn't have any type of spam filter. It was getting flooded and there were breached email accounts on a regular basis. Since I put in SpamTitan, I've had three breached accounts in Outlook, over the past two years, among our 160 employees. I've seen a drastic improvement in security.

It definitely saves employees' time because they don't have to sort through junk and spam emails. On any given day we have between 400 and 500 emails blocked by SpamTitan. My current weekly report shows that six viruses were blocked within that time span. It has really impacted me because every time an employee would get a spam email, they would post it to our team's forum and tag me. I'd have to look at it and it would waste my time. Now, our employees don't get spam emails.

What is most valuable?

I'm a real big fan of the new Link Lock feature.

I also use the solution's geo-blocking. The only downside about that is that our owners are from the UK, so I have to be careful about that. But the geo-blocking has resulted in about a 5 percent decrease in spam emails and that's big, given how many emails we have coming in. And geo-blocking is very easy and very intuitive to use. If I want to block country X, but allow these other countries, it is very easily managed.

Another nice feature is how tailored it is so that I can adjust the domain reputation score. At certain times of the year we run marketing campaigns and I can raise the score a little bit and that way we get feedback more readily. And during Christmas time, when the bad guys try to pull people in, I can turn it down and make it a little bit tighter. People will then let me know, "Hey, I need this email, I'm blocked," and I can do that within five to 10 minutes,

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if the reporting feature could be updated.

Also, the feel of the web interface is a little dated. It has been the same ever since the days when I first started learning it. It's nice because it's familiar, but I could see how it might turn people off because it's not necessarily flashy.

I have been using TitanHQ SpamTitan off and on for the past five or six years and consistently for the last two years in my current company.

The stability is perfect. I've never had a problem in two years. It's one of the things that I have to worry least about maintaining. Being in a 300,000-square-foot warehouse with IDFs and not having to stress about that is very nice.

To scale it, I don't have to do anything. If we go over a certain number of emails per day, from back and forth, from a certain email address, it gets counted as a license. As long as I stay under our license number, I'm fine. But it can scale as much as I want. The scalability is fantastic.

It's deployed against eight domains within a range of in-house and warehouse staff. A lot of people are on mobile devices and we don't see any slowdown with it, and that's fantastic.

We have multiple locations within Texas, and the nice part of it being on the cloud is that it's not something that we have to apply to each individual site. We can just apply it to the cloud in front of our 365 and all of our offices are covered. We don't have to build special roles and profiles for each location. It's just one for the company.

They're close to perfect. When the new Link Lock feature came out, they called me and said, "Hey, Robert, we know that you are interested in this. Let's show you what it is." We set it up and bought it and now it's deployed.

They're proactive but not overbearing.

I have used a competitor of SpamTitan, and their support ranks at a nine out of 10 against that other company because, with that company, it was days before I would hear something from them. With SpamTitan, it's usually the same day.

Positive

We did not have a previous solution, but SpamTitan was my go-to. It was a requirement when I took the job.

It's a cloud solution and I enjoyed going through the rollout and deployment because the vendor was very helpful with that. They were there for any questions that I had, because things had changed since I had last implemented it. And we have multiple domains under our umbrella, and the ease of SpamTitan as a multiple-domain solution was really nice.

I would rate the deployment process an eight and a half out of 10. There were some things that probably could have been tuned up, and maybe explained a little bit better, but they were there to help me if I had any questions.

The implementation was pretty methodical. They would say, "Okay, Robert, this is what we need to do. This is how we need to set it up. We need to change these things." I would do those things that night, come in the next morning, and we would make sure the mail flow was working. They were very step-by-step-oriented, and that was nice.

The ease of configuration, after deployment, was moderate. You spend a week or two learning it and testing things out and you get pretty proficient with it pretty quickly.

And maintenance of it is 100 percent lightweight. I rarely touch anything.

We used TitanHQ's engineers directly. My experience with them was fantastic. They made it easier than I thought it would be with the time difference, because they're in Ireland. But they made it work. They're very professional.

On our side, it was just me involved.

We have seen ROI, not only in time but in security. On top of that, with the Link Lock feature, it really does prove itself.

The pricing is very reasonable and very comparable in the industry. It's not the cheapest, but it's not the most expensive.

Their licensing structure does leave a little bit to be desired. I would like it to be easier to understand how I can add licenses and update things.

I did a lot of evaluation, comparing cost and functionality for my partners on the board, but in the back of my mind, SpamTitan was the only one I wanted to use.

I have read a lot of tech releases and about certain products over the past 15 years. I keep an eye on certain things but SpamTitan has been voted one of the best spam blockers over the past many years. It's also very easy to use. I'm a one-man shop in a company with 160 people. That's a lot for one person, especially the director of IT, to be responsible for.

It's simple enough to log in to the solution, that I can walk one of my owners, or the CEO or CFO, through that process if I'm out of the office. That is a big advantage. It's not overly complicated, although it could be refined a little bit more.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to watch your domain reputation score. That can be a little bit odd and a little bit finicky at times. Other than that, pull the trigger and go for it. It is easy and safe.

I give the solution a 10 out of 10. I've never had a problem with it to this day. When my owners come to me and say, "Hey, can we cut costs?" I'll say, "We can." If they say, "What about SpamTitan?" my answer is "Nope." Then I show them the reports and they'll say, "Yep, we're not getting rid of it." It sells itself. It's very easy to prove its worth and that is very beneficial for me.

TitanHQ SpamTitan
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Johnny Zodrow - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Manager at OnSite
Reseller
Vaporizes dangerous spam so that our customers never even see it, and it's easy for them to use
    • "We have submitted requests for a feature which would be a total control panel… Our previous spam filter had that and it saved us from having to log in to the panel online, search for an email, pull it up, and figure out where it came from originally and why it got the spam score it did. That would be a huge improvement and time-saver because then we wouldn't have to be in the webpage for that."

What is our primary use case?

Almost all of our email spam filtration goes through SpamTitan.

How has it helped my organization?

Most, if not all of our customers, benefit from SpamTitan because of the way it eliminates really dangerous spam. It is called “vaporizing.” It will vaporize bad and very dangerous spam so that our customers never even see it and there's never a chance for them to click on something that could potentially be dangerous or hazardous to their networks. It's a very nice security feature for us. People are still mostly the problem when it comes to becoming exposed to network vulnerabilities and SpamTitan takes some of that responsibility away from them.

When it comes to our organization, as an MSP, I have a handful of techs who work with me and, because the interface is so intuitive and simple, it has made training them very easy and quick. In addition, because TitanHQ’s support is so fluid with their own product, they're able to get us the answers we need and we're then able to implement fixes for customers.

Out of the gate, it takes a little fine-tuning to get the numbers right, but it definitely saves time for our customers’ employees because they don’t have to sort through junk and spam emails.

What is most valuable?

The big aspect of TitanHQ’s technology, when it comes to acquiring new customers for us as an MSP, is the way it sandboxes all incoming email attachments. That feature allows an email attachment to be run as if somebody had opened it, without causing any threat or concern to our customers' environments. The solution can open the attachment, run through it, and make sure there's nothing malicious about it. If there is something malicious, it destroys it. If there isn't, it passes it on.

On average, it does that in less than a second and that means a customer never feels that something is scanning their attachments. Nobody is going to notice a one-second lag in email delivery. It provides a lot of security and peace of mind for us, but it doesn't bother or interrupt a customer’s day-to-day functions.

The customer-facing panel, what the customers actually log in to, is where they can release spam email, or allow and block email addresses or domains, was also a big selling point for us. We like how customer-friendly the interface is.

What needs improvement?

We have submitted requests for a feature which would be a total control panel. It would have a footer at the bottom of every email and list things like

• the original source of the email
    • what its spam score was when it passed through the system
    • original or source IP's
    • other, more technical information.

Our previous spam filter had that type of feature and it saved us from having to log in to the panel online, search for an email, pull it up, and figure out where it came from originally and why it got the spam score it did. That would be a huge improvement and time-saver because then we wouldn't have to log into the web portal for that. It would be at the foot of every single email that passes through the system.

We have been using TitanHQ SpamTitan since January of 2022, so about six months.

We have it deployed across about 20 different Microsoft 365 environments, using Exchange Online, with about 600 mailboxes in total. We run it in our office and that is also Microsoft 365.

It has been stable. We had one update, in April. Other than that, it has been completely stable. We can log in to the panel and see the uptime. It's only been restarted once, after that update, and otherwise, it has been up 100 percent of the time.

Scaling it is very easy. It's just a matter of submitting a support ticket to increase the overall number of mailboxes we're paying for, and then we just keep moving forward.

We plan to increase our usage of SpamTitan. We have five customers still in Reflexion and they will be moving over in the next two months. At that point, we'll be 100 percent SpamTitan.

The biggest benefit of being a partner of TitanHQ is the support. Every account manager seems to go above and beyond to ensure that we have the information we need and that we have it in a timely fashion. That goes for every support ticket and interaction we've had with them as well. In addition, they're just genuinely a friendly group of people to work with.

Account and customer support stand out for us as an MSP because we interface with them a lot.

We used Reflexion. We switched because it was bought out by another company that decided to sunset the product. It hasn't had any major updates in quite some time and it was beginning to be a security hazard.

Reflexion was a stable product. Where it fell short was with updates in security. It ran and was always there, but it was falling behind.

Our initial deployment was a piece of cake. We did it on the phone with SpamTitan in about 12 minutes. It was phenomenal. I had another technician, on our side, involved in that phone call.

The product, in general, is very easy to implement and it's very effective. It doesn't require any babysitting or hand holding. You just tie it to the platform you're using for email and it goes to work. You do a little bit of fine-tuning based on feedback from the customers. Then, it's just a matter of checking on it occasionally.

We've got it down pat now. We make the necessary DNS changes, build the customer information in the new SpamTitan panel, and schedule a cutover with the customer. We cut over the MX and DNS records and usually, within minutes, email is flowing through SpamTitan successfully. From there, it's just a matter of working with the customer, usually for a couple of days, to help fine-tune the spam score so that stuff that shouldn't get caught gets through and stuff that should be caught is stopped.

In terms of maintenance, SpamTitan support sends us an email to let us know when there is an update. We schedule downtime, log in to the panel, and do the update. The entire thing takes less than 30 minutes.

For us, the ROI is the time we get back from not having to babysit the solution or have people trying to figure it out. And for our customers, it's a time-saver because it's very easy and intuitive to use. It's quick.

The pricing is very fair. We've been very happy with it. You just pay the bundle fee for a group of mailboxes.

We tried three other options before we settled on SpamTitan.

First and foremost, we went with SpamTitan because of the ease of use inside the web panel. What our customers have to see when they click on something is a factor we take very seriously, and the customer-facing panels from the other contenders were just terrible. SpamTitan has that all figured out, cleaned up, and it presents very well. When a customer who's not techy clicks on the link and needs to release or block an email, it makes it very simple and clean for them.

Customer support from TitanHQ has been top-tier, top-notch, the whole time we have worked with them, they have been on it. As for the others that we demoed, while they did respond, it didn't feel like they were as comfortable with their own products as SpamTitan’s techs are with theirs.

What other advice do I have?

We haven't had any conversations about things that need to be improved in the solution. Nobody has any major complaints. For the time being, it's a pretty solid solution out-of-the-box and we're not looking for any immediate changes.

Just try it. Install it, run it, and try it. It’s incredibly simple to use, it sets up in minutes, and there are wonderful account and support teams. Just do it. Just use it and the product will sell itself.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: MSP
    Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It addresses spoofing, phishing, and any other email-based threat
    • "I like the fact that SpamTitan filters out phishing and spoofing links. They call it AI-driven threat protection. Though I'm a highly educated, advanced computer user, I still like not having to pay attention to where the link is going. I can trust that SpamTitan will filter it out nine times out of 10."
    • "The admin management portal needs a facelift. I've asked them for a way to authenticate admins of the organizations that want to admin the SpamTitan product itself. Adding additional management security would be a great feature. There are a few tiny improvements they could also make. For instance, the GUI itself is a little outdated, and it could be more user friendly. The same goes for ArcTitan. It's got a horrible GUI that's worse than SpamTitan. It also could use that authentication mechanism upgrade as well. I would also suggest combining the two products into one control panel. ."

What is our primary use case?

SpamTitan is used for spam protection, nothing else. That's what it does, and it does it well. SpamTitan Plus is nice because we can offer it to our clients. We use SpamTitan internally, but also resell it. SpamTitan Plus has additional security features like filtering out spoofing links.

We mostly use SpamTitan with Microsoft 365, and it covers about 500 users. Almost all our customers are Microsoft 365 or G suite.

How has it helped my organization?

SpamTitan reduces the overall amount of spam we have to deal with, which saves all our users some time because they don't need to sit there and sift through all of that.

I can't say that SpamTitan has helped us obtain any new clients. It's more like the other way around. We help TitanHQ get new clients because we're paying them for their product. I would say it's had zero effect on our client base.

It provides a value add to our clients because it's another security service that we can offer them in our security suite, which includes antivirus, spam protection, password, and things of that nature. We also now offer ArcTitan, their email archiving solution. It's a full range of security products we offer, and SpamTitan is one of those products.

SpamTitan addresses spoofing, phishing, and any other email-based threat. It adds great value. I like the fact that SpamTitan Plus has the ability to filter every link. There's no way to stop that entirely because viruses and malware are constantly evolving, so it's not foolproof. It gets around 90 percent of the malicious traffic that comes through.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that SpamTitan filters out phishing and spoofing links. They call it AI-driven threat protection. Though I'm a highly educated, advanced computer user, I still like not having to pay attention to where the link is going. I can trust that SpamTitan will filter it out nine times out of 10.

It's a huge value add for clients who aren't tech savvy because they often click on links in their emails they think are legit, installing some type of malware or virus on their PCs by doing so. Anti-phishing is a new feature, but the standard spam protection, filtering, and antivirus are good too. It has two antivirus filters: Clam and Bitdefender. I think it's great to keep the viruses out of email boxes.

We use geoblocking internally and for our clients. I believe SpamTitan does that by default, so I don't know if there's a specific setting for that, and I don't spend much time in the control panel. I know that you can manually block a domain. It's handy to block spam from a domain that you now isn't legitimate. That's a nice feature.

SpamTitan uses artificial intelligence to train itself and assigns each piece of mail a rating from zero to whatever. The higher the rating, the more likely it is to be spam. If the score is below 10, it's usually not spam. It does a pretty good job of determining whether it's going to be garbage.

What needs improvement?

The admin management portal needs a facelift. I've asked them for a way to authenticate admins of the organizations that want to admin the SpamTitan product itself. Adding additional management security would be a great feature.

There are a few tiny improvements they could also make. For instance, the GUI itself is a little outdated, and it could be more user friendly. The same goes for ArcTitan. It's got a horrible GUI that's worse than SpamTitan. It also could use that authentication mechanism upgrade as well. I would also suggest combining the two products into one control panel.

The spam filters could always improve. The standard spam protection is probably the least perfect feature. It does a great job with viruses and phishing. The spam filter isn't bad. It's just that spam filtering is its primary purpose, but it's the thing SpamTitan does the least well. That's not a complaint though. It's just a fact of life. You get billions and billions of emails. It's impossible to get a system that perfectly filters out all the trash.

We've been using SpamTitan for about three years, if not more.  We just upgraded to SpamTitan Plus about a month ago.

SpamTitan is relatively stable. We've never had an outage. We've had configuration problems, but that's on our end.

It hasn't had any issues with scalability so far. It seems to handle the resources properly. However, I believe it comes down to the amount of AWS resources you throw at it. I don't think there are any issues with the application itself.

Sometimes, it's hard to get ahold of somebody in support, but they seem to know what they're doing when you get in touch with them. They definitely know their stuff, and the engineers are great to work with. It doesn't seem to be a problem if you schedule it. However, it would be hard to reach a support engineer if I jumped on the phone right now.

I'd give them an eight out of 10. I deduct two points because it's sometimes hard to contact the engineers. Otherwise, they have done a great job and they always answer our questions instantly. It's hard to compare their support to others because I've never used another spam solution, and I don't think it's fair to compare it to other tech companies

Positive

Before we adopted SpamTitan, we were using Office 365's built-in spam protection. Microsoft does a basic job of finding spam, but it's not a specialized solution like TitanHQ.

I played a managerial role in the deployment, but I didn't handle the details. I believe it was pretty straightforward. The most difficult part was configuring the Office 365 portion inside the Exchange control panel. The rest was smooth sailing.

One engineer is enough, and it takes about 30 minutes per client when we deploy it for our customers. If the initial setup is done, we only need to add the domain, configure the domain spam setting, and set it up on the client's mail server somewhere, such as Office 365.

SpamTitan is more of an ancillary service that we bundle in our security package. It isn't something we're getting rich off of. We pretty much break even, with a slight uptick in revenue.

We get MSP pricing, which is better than retail. The spam solutions are generally priced the same across the board, but SpamTitan is a little less expensive than some of the premium spam services.

At the same time, I'm not quite sure you get a whole lot more from a premium spam service versus SpamTitan. That's why we went with it. We didn't see the value in spending more money. Who's to say that the other competitors had better artificial intelligence for their spam protection? That's really the only difference between one anti-spam provider and another.

We analyzed four or five different vendors, and SpamTitan had the best features and capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give SpamTitan a solid eight out of 10. It's an excellent product at a reasonable price. If you need spam protection, I think it's a good value. It's pretty easy to use, but there are a few things I'd like to see, like a new GUI on the control panel and an updated authentication system. Aside from that, SpamTitan does its job well.

There's always room for improvement. I only take two points off because no product is ever perfect. I can't even think of a product that would get a perfect 10 from me off the top of my head except for maybe an Eddie Van Halen 5150. That was perfect.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Milovan Milic - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of IT at Ichthus College
    Stopped spam from hammering our Exchange Server, and users can release quarantined messages themselves
    • "We're now using SpamTitan Plus. It has an extra feature so that if you receive an email with a link, it goes to the TitanHQ server and that link is also checked. That is probably the best feature."
    • "The way it rates what is spam and what is not spam can be improved, although that is true with every system."

What is our primary use case?

It's used for protection and to improve our security. We have different layers of protection and this is one of them. SpamTitan's cloud is the first point where our emails are filtered and then they are delivered to us. Before everything is delivered to our Exchange Server it goes through the filter.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, spam emails were hammering our Exchange Server constantly. But now, it's going to the private cloud first and everything is filtered. The only things that are delivered are what should be delivered. All the spam is stopped on the private cloud. Our Exchange Server is not busy anymore.

In addition, in the SpamTitan portal, we can also quickly identify the status of emails, if anyone has missed an email. We can see exactly what is in quarantine and we can check that easily.

And because users can release false positives themselves, we in IT don't have to be busy doing so all the time. Users are not spammed with 20 emails. Instead, they get one email saying, "Hey, you have 20 emails which SpamTitan thinks are spam." The user can choose to tell the system, "This is not spam, it is a valid email." That has also helped save employees' time by not having to sort through junk emails.

There are certain categories of emails that are blocked and end-users don't even see them. That depends on the rating.

When we had different solutions, like McAfee® Security for Microsoft Exchange (MSME), IT had a lot of system administration work. We had to do a lot of updates. Now, because SpamTitan is a cloud solution, we don't need to worry about that. It cuts our system administration time.

Another benefit, of course, is the protection from emails that can damage your organization. We had a case before we had SpamTitan, where somebody clicked on an email and as a result, all our files were blocked and the attackers were asking us for money. Because we have good backups, we just restored from the backups and it was okay. But since deploying SpamTitan, we haven't had that issue anymore.

What is most valuable?

SpamTitan has two main features included in it. One is like ClamAV and the other is like Bitdefender. It scans for viruses. There is also content filtering and many other options. For example, you can set up filter rules, you can block email addresses and domains, and you can do pattern filtering.

These days there are a lot of emails with macros and that's a really dangerous situation. A lot of schools are being attacked. We have set it up so that anything that comes with a macro goes into quarantine first. We then get an email notification that there is a macro and we check it. Sometimes it's a false positive, but this way we can control what is released and what is not. You never know what a document with a macro can deliver. It can infect your whole environment.

We have a dashboard where we can see how many emails are legitimate and how many are spam. When people come to us and say, "Hey, we got some spam," we can say, "Look at THE dashboard. Something like 70 percent of the emails coming in are spam, so be happy it blocks all of that email."

And, we moved to something even better than that because we're now using SpamTitan Plus. It has an extra feature so that if you receive an email with a link, it goes to the TitanHQ server and that link is also checked. That is probably the best feature. It is good for security because lots of spam happens via the links that people click, or through emails with viruses and macros.

SpamTitan is also easy to use. You just set it up and everything works the way it should. The user interface is easy to use and navigate. We can quickly do system updates ourselves because we have a private cloud with access to our own server.

What needs improvement?

The way it rates what is spam and what is not spam can be improved, although that is true with every system.

I have been using TitanHQ SpamTitan for four years.

I don't have any recollection of it being unstable.

Because it's in the cloud, you can request a memory or CPU increase, if needed. From their side, it's just a matter of pressing a button because it's all virtual. So scalability is not an issue.

And to move to SpamTitan Plus, we only needed one update and it was done.

Their technical support is fine. We have had a few calls and issues were resolved, sometimes on the same day, sometimes the next day.

I called their helpdesk and I said we wanted to increase the memory and they increased it. The memory was okay, but there is a lot of checking with the ClamAV or BitDefender and the service panel stopped and was disabled. They increased the memory and, since then, we haven't had that problem again.

I don't have any complaints about their speed of response. There's a portal that you call and, within a few hours, somebody responds. Compared to other cloud services, their support is quite good, but it's very difficult to compare. It's like apples and oranges.

Technical support was a very important point when we were considering a solution. If there are any issues and an email doesn't come in, I have a problem.  Email is a primary process and it needs to work.

Positive

We had a different system before, McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange, but it didn't work well. Every update was a disaster. There was a lot of administrative work and it was not efficient. You can't compare it with SpamTitan.

We also used a McAfee Appliance and Barracuda in the past. When we heard about TitanHQ we requested a month or two-month trial to see how it works.

Because we have a private cloud and our own server, setting it up was easy. They did it for us, but there were some settings that needed fine-tuning because SpamTitan needs to learn what is considered spam in your organization. There was an issue at first but they solved the problem and after the first month it was okay.

Technically, the setup was not a problem for us. When deciding on a product we needed to balance the setup and the features. We tested it, no strings attached and, in that trial period, we did all the fine-tuning. When we were happy with it, we started a subscription.

In the beginning, when we set it up, we needed a little bit of time to get to know the system and to find things. But after about a month or two, we had overcome all those issues. We were able to find the features we needed, like SPF reject on failure, for example. We did that ourselves.

We set everything up with the help of their engineers and we are very happy with it.

I'm very business-minded. I negotiated with them because we are in education. I told him that we cannot pay high prices. They were quite good with the EDU pricing and we are quite happy with it.

They have to strike a balance. A product can be very good, but if you can't afford it...

In this case, the product is good, and they were also sensitive to our situation in education, where we don't have a lot of money. We have to be very careful how we spend it and where we invest it.

What other advice do I have?

We also have endpoint protection, in case something gets through the first layer. For that, we have McAfee Endpoint Protection for the computers. But SpamTitan is our first layer of protection.

In terms of our spam catch rate, one month is different from the next month. It depends on the spammers because they change their strategies, but SpamTitan can stop all of it.

Bornwell Mwenya - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Technical Support at ZAMNET
    MSP
    Filters inbound and outbound emails for security breaches
    • "It provides security for the communication between the sender and receiver. It does the encryption perfectly. We ensure that emails are sent without any security breaches. The spam catch rate at the moment is almost 100%."
    • "We would like to improve the number of quarantine reports received per day. At the moment, only one is received within 24 hours. So, there are a number of complaints that we get from customers who want to improve the reporting of the quarantined emails since they only get one copy per day. This means they may not receive other emails that have been received after they get the report. So, we would like SpamTitan to improve on the frequency of the quarantine report."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for filtering emails, inbound and outbound, as well as have it act as a smart host for our external clients. Being an MSP, we primarily use it for filtering emails on behalf of the clients as well as filtering the content that they send and receive using the SpamTitan platform.

It is our primary filtering system. We use it to filter emails on behalf of organizations who have their own email system platforms, like Office 365. In terms of extensiveness, we use it 100%.

How has it helped my organization?

We have big organizations within our country who use the SpamTitan service as their primary security system for their intelligent communication with their clients, within the country and outside the country.

It provides security for the communication between the sender and receiver. It does the encryption perfectly. We ensure that emails are sent without any security breaches. The spam catch rate at the moment is almost 100%.

The solution has helped reduce spam rates overall by 75%. It has helped us to reduce the number of attacks that we used to have. It has helped to reduce the number of complaints we've been getting from customers in terms of them receiving a lot of spam and unsolicited emails coming from the outside.

What is most valuable?

• The quarantine feature
    • The reporting feature
    • The content filtering feature

With the reporting feature, we were able to have broader insight on emails that our clients send as well as the emails that get to our clients. We are able to analyze when we get complaints from clients as to what happened to the emails that they sent to their clients, who sent it at what time, and the content in cases of complaints where the client did not get an email from the sender or their emails were not delivered to their sender. We are able to view at what point did the email drop, who sent the email, and to whom.

We use the geo-blocking feature based on IP addresses. We also use it based on the country and the top-level domain. We are able to block any of those three. For example, we get a lot of emails from Japan. Therefore, we have blocked the top-level domain .jp at the end.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not so user-friendly at the moment. We did attend training a few months ago on their new interface. They have a new GUI that is quite user-friendly and easy to navigate.

We would like to improve the number of quarantine reports received per day. At the moment, only one is received within 24 hours. So, there are a number of complaints that we get from customers who want to improve the reporting of the quarantined emails since they only get one copy per day. This means they may not receive other emails that have been received after they get the report. So, we would like SpamTitan to improve on the frequency of the quarantine report.

I have been using it for three years.

Stability is at 99%. We rarely have outages. We rarely contact their support team because their service is running smoothly at the moment.

The solution is scalable. If you contact them for an upgrade or add-ons on your current SpamTitan product, they are very much available to help. The service change is almost instant. Within 24 hours, you are able to upgrade from one package to another, and add-ons are done instantly.

In terms of upgrades, we are considering upgrading from our current license, which accommodates 2,000 emails. We want to upgrade to 4,000 emails. They have been very helpful on how we can implement the upgrade.

Their support is very helpful. We get the feedback that we want on time. There is a feature of their ticketing system that is perfect and easy to track the conversation as well as the history. You can download the chats that you have had with them for future reference.

I have interacted with other vendors or suppliers of almost the same feature. I can say that SpamTitan's support expertise is very good because they know what we go through and help. They have solutions at hand. If you ask them, they can help and direct you to the solution that you need.

Positive

SpamTitan’s geo-blocking feature helps allow us to block spam emails entering our network and servers, reducing our spam intake. Our former solution was only able to handle outbound traffic. That meant that we did not have control over what was coming through our network. For example, we used to get spam emails with unknown usernames, so our customers were getting a lot more spam emails than the important emails that they should expect.

At the time that we acquired the product, we had another product called Proxmox. As we were implementing, we tested it for about four days. After that time, we did not have any issues in terms of complaints from clients because it was smooth. While the other product was running, we brought in SpamTitan. As a strategy, from my end, it was perfectly done.

The previous solution was not user-friendly. It would only filter one way or direction. This meant we needed to buy from them twice, i.e., the same product, for inbound and outbound. Since our budget was constrained, we looked at SpamTitan, and its pricing was perfect. It was easy to deploy and user-friendly.

With the deployment of SpamTitan, we are now able to catch those unnecessary emails coming into our network, which we are able to block. There is a feature, which we have enabled, to verify the usernames that we host, meaning those that we don't host are blocked before they reach our customers or our network.

Before Proxmox and SpamTitan, we were using Barracuda Central. but acquiring the hardware as well as the renewal of Energize per year, that meant going beyond our budget. So, we approached SpamTitan. We noticed that the hardware was cost effective. We could subscribe per quarter, biannually, or annually. That flexibility meant that we had to quickly jump to SpamTitan for those advantages.

It was easy because we did the hosting for the configurations on our end with their help. It was done within a day. It took about five hours to complete the configurations, then have emails in and out through the SpamTitan product.

Within the first three years, we were able to see that this product has been perfect for our business. We have acquired more clients using this platform, unlike with our previous platform.

The collaboration between TitanHQ and us is 95% in terms of positioning us to acquire new business. Titan products manage both inbound and outbound at the lowest cost. All the requirements that we need for this solution are covered. Also, the support is perfect. We don't have any problems with it.

In the last three years, we have acquired or managed to grow the customer base on email services because we get a lot of referrals. Because we have the geo-blocking feature, which quarantines emails, it sends a report to our clients before they accept the email. This means they get to know about SpamTitan. A number of them call us about the solution before we reach out to them and sell the service.

They have different packages, services, or products that they sell. I would recommend it for small businesses to larger organizations, even enterprises, but not individuals.

There is the flexibility to ask them what you want, then they will advise a package that suits your business.

SpamTitan's key differentiators are the pricing, system, and service that we get. They are very different from other systems that we have used or partnered with from Titan.

What other advice do I have?

Before jumping into using the product, I would advise that you research other products as SpamTitan's features are mostly required for businesses at the moment.

I would rate the solution as 10 out of 10.

Owner/President at a tech services company
    Reseller
    Provides a single pane of glass to service all our clients
    • "It is a very easy product to use. There is one interface that services all our clients' health. Once learning the interface, we don't have to learn another one for each client. It is the same interface, which is valuable. Therefore, we find the single interface the most valuable since I have a very small team. I don't have one or two people dedicated to just SpamTitan. We all need to learn the interface and be fluent in it. So, having a unified single interface is a big deal for us. I don't have to teach my people five different interfaces in order to be managing a product. They use one interface for all our clients. It is a single pane of glass, which is huge for us."
    • "We had to do some stuff with eFax in order to get eFaxing to come through. Had we known that ahead of time, we could have had that ironed out before we went live. However, we just didn't realize it was going to interfere with it. After we implemented it, we realized it was interfering with some of our eFaxes, so we had to go figure out why"

What is our primary use case?

It is used for any filtering pertaining to email: viral filtering, scam filtering, and spam filtering. We have implemented it in all our existing customers until now.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented it at one of our largest customers, specifically to knock out viral intrusions on Microsoft 365 platform. It virtually eliminated them, which saves them money because we are not continually battling viral outbreaks for them.

Because of the random nature of attacks, we could have gotten three attacks in a month, but SpamTitan has taken that to zero. We could have gotten one attack in six months, but SpamTitan has taken that to zero. It is difficult to quantify that. By far, it is far more costly to battle a viral outbreak than it is to pay for SpamTitan.

What is most valuable?

It is a very easy product to use. There is one interface that services all our clients' health. Once learning the interface, we don't have to learn another one for each client. It is the same interface, which is valuable. Therefore, we find the single interface the most valuable since I have a very small team. I don't have one or two people dedicated to just SpamTitan. We all need to learn the interface and be fluent in it. So, having a unified single interface is a big deal for us. I don't have to teach my people five different interfaces in order to be managing a product. They use one interface for all our clients. It is a single pane of glass, which is huge for us.

The geo-blocking feature has reduced the amount of viral intrusions from foreign countries, especially recently. We saw an uptick in attempted viral intrusions in SpamTitan right after Ukraine was invaded. Most intrusions were coming from Russian pilot countries. The geo-blocking feature stopped a lot of that.

The geo-blocking feature is very easy to use. We pretty much set the filter up, then blocked a set number of countries. If another country comes through, and we see garbage coming from it, then it is very easy to block. If we have specific sites where we have to allow site X through from that country, that is also very easy to do.

What needs improvement?

We had problems initially when first implementing eFaxing. We had problems trying to get eFaxes to be recorded correctly and come through correctly. That was resolved fairly quickly. However, if you are heavy users of E-fax, I would suggest that you test your eFax before implementing so you can have that ironed out before going live.

We had to do some stuff with eFax in order to get eFaxing to come through. Had we known that ahead of time, we could have had that ironed out before we went live. However, we just didn't realize it was going to interfere with it. After we implemented it, we realized it was interfering with some of our eFaxes, so we had to go figure out why. SpamTitan's tech support was very good. They helped us figure it out. We got it implemented pretty quick and fixed pretty quick. But, in hindsight, that would probably be the one thing where I would say, "Go check your eFaxes. Make sure that they all work."

When we first implement SpamTitan, there is a report that gets sent to the end users on a periodic basis. Basically, the email comes with three links on it, and it says, "If you don't want to receive this, click on this link. If you want to receive this once, click on this one. If you want it to continue to come through, click on this one." It's a pretty straightforward, well-written email. However, we get customers who, for some reason, don't understand it. I am not really sure why. I think it is pretty clear and easy to understand. If there is anything that could be improved, it would be that process. I am not really sure what you could do to improve the process since my tech support guys, who work with us are saying, "Why don't people understand this email?" I am like, "I really don't know." We don't see why they don't understand it. It is not everybody either, so it is not like everybody doesn't understand it. There are just a handful of people who are like, "I don't understand it." It is like, "How can you not understand that? It's pretty well-written."

I have been using the solution since July or August last year.

It has been very stable. We have had no instability problems with it at all. It has been pretty much 100% uptime.

It is pretty scalable. In less than a day, we just went from one customer on it with 700 users up to about 2,000 users with no performance issues.

There is a lot of stuff on the user interface, but it is very easy to use. It's very well-organized and easy to find what you are looking for. When we can't find what we are looking for, which happened a couple weeks ago when I was looking for a particular feature and couldn't seem to locate it, their tech support is phenomenal. They usually get right back to you.

The technical support is excellent. We have used them several times. We have had a couple of incidents with eFaxes where we were having problems getting eFaxes to come through correctly. They were able to not only help us determine why they weren't coming through correctly, but help us resolve the problem pretty quickly.

We have worked with competing solutions. I think their tech support is over and above their competitors. Their tech support comes back to us very quickly. They very easily understand the problem and their solutions are usually dead on.

I would rate their technical support as 10 out of 10.

Positive

We went with SpamTitan mainly because of cost.

The implementation was very easy. It took us less than two hours to do our initial implementation. We recently implemented 15 more customers on it, and one of my tech support guys did it in less than a day.

The geo-blocking feature took us a little bit of time to implement, as we tried to figure out which countries to block.

It has a fair, reasonable profit margin.

SpamTitan has helped improve our spam catch rate and reduce our false positive rate by at least 70%. If we are tracking viral intrusions, it is even more than that. It has virtually eliminated viral intrusions.

Everything has really been great with the pricing and licensing. In fact, we just implemented ArcTitan because everything was going so well with SpamTitan.

We evaluated other solutions. We really didn't implement them anywhere because they either didn't seem to do enough or didn't have a decent profit margin. They just weren't really worth our while. There was another solution that did everything SpamTitan does. It does a great job, but it was just far too costly.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. I am very happy with it.

There are five of us working with SpamTitan, and we all wear multiple hats. I am the president of the company, but I also do tech support. I have tech support guys and that is all they do. We all wear the same hats. That is why it is important to have that single interface that is very fluid and easy to use. That way, all of my people can learn it very quickly and easily. So, we can manage it without a big learning curve.

SpamTitan has other suites. They have WebTitan and ArcTitan. We have recently purchased ArcTitan and are using it. We will also probably be moving into WebTitan.

I would rate it as 10 out of 10. It is a great product.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
    DevOps Director at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
    A highly flexible, configurable, and stable solution with outstanding customer support
    • "The solution keeps a copy of inbound and outbound messages for a period, which is a handy feature. It makes it easier to determine precisely what is happening with an email, where it came from, why it isn't routing correctly, why it is or isn't being flagged etc. If an end user forwards us a problematic email, the header information can be lost, making it harder to figure out what's happening."
    • "The interface needs to be improved; some elements aren't where I expect them to be, so it could be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a secure email gateway; the solution scans our emails for spam and viruses and does URL link rewriting. SpamTitan makes sure our incoming and outgoing emails don't contain anything problematic.

How has it helped my organization?

Before implementing the solution, I had 13,000 to 14,000 sitting in my Deleted Items folder on 90 day rolling average. The figure after implementing SpamTitan is 8,000 to 9,000 items in my Deleted Items folder on a 90 day rolling average, so it's stopping thousands of emails that got through before.

We are part of a larger University organization, and many spam emails come from the broader organization. They run Office 365, and there is spam it doesn't catch, despite user reporting. SpamTitan filters out the emails Office 365 misses, for the most part, as no solution is 100% effective all the time.

What is most valuable?

SpamTitan is flexible and highly configurable.

Geo-blocking is a great feature. It's simple, and it works; we pick a country, and the tool blocks mail from that country. There isn't a list of countries to select from, we have to type in the country name, and it brings up matches, which is a little cumbersome, but it still works quite well. The feature is good to have, but we don't see a massive influx of emails being blocked.

A huge feature for us is the link rewriting configuration; we can set exemptions for link rewriting from particular organizations. The rest are rewritten and checked against the SpamTitan database of problematic sites and email sources. The user is notified of the outcome of the check, which is excellent when it's hard to determine if an email is legitimate or not.

The solution saves employees' time. Many of our faculty are physicians who don't have much time to check their emails, especially if they need to scroll through and delete spam mail, which can hide important messages. A cleaner inbox is easier to use and saves time, probably an hour a week per user. That might not sound like much, but we had physicians with inboxes so full of spam they stopped checking their emails, which is no longer the case. Our catch rate is up significantly, and our false positives have dropped considerably, saving the end user time.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't intuitive enough for me to go in and write specific rules and exemptions.

We have been using the solution for about nine months.

The stability is excellent. We filter 45,000 to 50,000 emails a week through the solution and haven't had any server issues. Physically rebooting the primary server causes a failure to the backup server, which is how it is supposed to work, the stability is solid.

The solution is highly scalable and easy to scale. The appliances are straightforward to get up and running and to add to the system. A few clicks and checks are all that's required.

The customer service is outstanding. If I have a question, I can open a ticket, and they usually get back to me within hours. They can also remote in if I turn on remote access, so they can fix what needs to be fixed or tell us what we need to do to resolve our issue. Their support is fantastic.

I can send TitanHQ a ticket with the information of a rule that requires updating and provide them remote access to our system via a code. Usually, within 24 hours, their rule post developer will have come in and provided a solution for us, which is incredible.

Positive

We previously used GFI MailEssentials, but it wasn't being updated. It was almost two years since their last update. They updated their filters and virus database regarding the software, but that's it. We saw an increase in spam getting through, and my team and I spent more time releasing false positives. GFI didn't work well in our multi-exchange server environment and didn't perform as we expected.

We looked for another solution, did a POC with SpamTitan, found it impressive and decided to implement it. One of our requirements was an on-prem option due to HIPPA regulations regarding information sharing, which narrowed the selection down. Another requirement was a solution that sits in front of the email as a gateway. This further limited the selection, and SpamTitan was the natural choice.

The deployment is very straightforward. TitanHQ provided a knowledgeable staff member to support our deployment, and it was clear he was very experienced and wonderful to work with. He was patient and made an excellent first impression. The initial setup required two people, myself and the staff member from TitanHQ, and it didn't take long. We set up two appliances and a failover solution, which we did over three separate meetings of an hour each during the first month of the POC. By the end of the month, I was ready to purchase, and no further setup was required.

The solution is very lightweight in terms of maintenance, we've had one major update over nine months, and that was a click of a button to download and install. We can set updates to auto-install, and the minor updates, including antivirus definitions, happen by themselves. TitanHQ puts a lot of effort into maintaining SpamTitan on their end.

I don't have any precise numbers, but I would say the product provides an ROI. An intangible ROI is decreasing the footprint for a phishing or some sort of email related security attack.  By doing such a good job of weeding out the bad messages we reduce the number of potentially harmful messages making it to the users inbox.  We train our users on how to spot spam messages, but that is not full proof.  By significantly catching more spam messages and rewriting the hyperlinks this has further reduced the chances of someone mistakenly interacting with a bad message.  Thus increasing our security foot print.

The pricing is very reasonable. I know the cloud version costs more because of active 24/7 monitoring, but we take care of that as our setup is on-prem. SpamTitan is in line with what we were paying for GFI MailEssentials but works much better.

I don't remember what other solutions I considered. The person I worked with from TitanHQ was fantastic; they helped me with the POC and any information and advice I needed. That was one of the main reasons I didn't dig much further into other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SpamTitan a nine out of ten.

Typically, we don't see large amounts of spam stopped by geo-blocking, but we have the feature activated for a few countries, the major players.

We don't use the geo-blocking exemptions feature because we block the whole country at this point; we don't have business dealings with other countries.

SpamTitan is an excellent product; the only issue is with the UI, which is somewhat dated. TitanHQ is working on updating it, however. I would advise users not to be discouraged by the UI because the solution works well; it's a solid option.

Download our free TitanHQ SpamTitan Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022