Senior Consultant at Wavednet Group
Enhanced security features, easy to use for all users, and has informative reports
  • "The solution has very good security features, is easy to use for administrators and users, and has informative reports."
  • "I would like to see in future releases a tool to scan for malicious packets and give the location of where they are coming from."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT solution company and we provide network security. This solution is used for securing your network.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in future releases a tool to scan for malicious packets and give the location of where they are coming from. Nowadays all over the world is suffering from ransomware threats. If they could map where those packets are coming from and make the packet monitoring more efficient it will be helpful to prevent more of these kinds of threats.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

Sophos XG
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution has been highly stable.

We have used SonicWall and Fortinet in the past.

The installation is very easy for anyone. The configuration is straightforward, all the information is available through a quick Google search.

The price can be a bit steep but for the number of features, it is worth it. Additionally, the enterprise version of this solution is priced well for all the features that you receive.

If you are thinking about implementing Fortinet, SonicWall, or any other product you will pay extra for additional security features and might need to purchase additional licenses. If they just spend a little more on this solution they will get the extra features for the same amount.

This solution has security features that in other solution you have to purchase them as add-ons, such as malware and email filters. Comparing this solution overall to competitors it is by far the best.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

IT Manager at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
Reasonably priced, implementation straightforward, but could be more user-friendly
  • "The stability of Sophos XG is good, it has good performance."
  • "In the Sophos XG, the SD-WAN has all the rules done separately, such as net policy routing. In the previous version, they were all in a single rule and everything was done that way. The way it is now is difficult for us because we are not used to this newer version. The firewall rules should be easier to configure and create. Everything should be done with a single click."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos XG is used as a network firewall.

What needs improvement?

In the Sophos XG, the SD-WAN has all the rules done separately, such as net policy routing. In the previous version, they were all in a single rule and everything was done that way. The way it is now is difficult for us because we are not used to this newer version. The firewall rules should be easier to configure and create. Everything should be done with a single click.

In the next version, the solution would be more user-friendly overall.

I have been using Sophos XG for approximately two years.

The stability of Sophos XG is good, it has good performance.

Sophos XG has good scalability.

We have approximately 50 people that use the solution in my company.

We use this solution on a daily basis.

We have contacted the support from Sophos XG but we do not require the support often.

We previously used Sophos Cyberoam and we switched to Sophos XG because it was the end of life for the Sophos Cyberoam and the bandwidth was poor.

The initial installation of Sophos XG was not difficult.

We used an integrator to do the implementation of Sophos XG.

We only require one person for the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

The solution is very good and we have received a return on investment.

The price of Sophos XG is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sophos XG a six out of ten.

Sophos XG
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior IT Manager at a agriculture with 11-50 employees
A stable, flexible, and easy-to-use solution that works well and comes with a web management portal that can be accessed from anywhere
  • "It is stable, flexible, and easy to use. It has got a web management portal that can be accessed from anywhere."
  • "I would like to have more artificial intelligence in the web monitoring service that comes with it. It should alert us when particular events happen. It has already got some of that. I know that it is more of a service, and Sophos is already looking at it. It is called SIEM."

What is our primary use case?

It can be used as a firewall, SD-WAN enabler, and secure web gateway. You can also use it for unified threat management, email detection, mobile device management, and wireless management. I use it in the cloud and on-premises, and I have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable, flexible, and easy to use. It has got a web management portal that can be accessed from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have more artificial intelligence in the web monitoring service that comes with it. It should alert us when particular events happen. It has already got some of that. I know that it is more of a service, and Sophos is already looking at it. It is called SIEM.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

We have roughly 700 users who use this firewall.

I have interacted with them a few times. I am very satisfied with their technical support.

We were using FortiGate.

It is easy to install. I have done the installation in less than a day.

We did it ourselves. We have two people for its deployment. We have one engineer and one admin.

It is not that expensive compared to the other solutions. It is about the same price range as Fortigate, which we used previously. Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We're very happy with the product. It works very well, and we don't have too many issues.

I would rate Sophos XG a nine out of ten.

ICT Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, scalable, and fairly stable, but needs simplified interface and better security
  • "We find it easy to use. Its internal configuration is very easy. It is not complicated in terms of use and configuration. It has been fairly stable, and it is also scalable."
  • "They can simplify its interface so that it is mostly drag-and-drop. There was an SQL injection attack on some Sophos devices. They just need to harden their devices a little bit so that they can't be hacked very easily."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it at a gateway level. We are using Sophos XG Series 135.

What is most valuable?

We find it easy to use. Its internal configuration is very easy. It is not complicated in terms of use and configuration.

It has been fairly stable, and it is also scalable.

What needs improvement?

They can simplify its interface so that it is mostly drag-and-drop. There was an SQL injection attack on some Sophos devices. They just need to harden their devices a little bit so that they can't be hacked very easily.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It has been fairly stable.

It is scalable. We had scaled it for the number of users that we have, and it has worked fine for us. We have around 40 users.

We rarely contact their technical support. There was a time when our head office contacted their technical support. It was an issue in 2008, and they provided a patch.

We used Cisco ASA five or six years ago.

We found it easy to install. Its installation took around one to one and a half hours.

I did it myself. I have had some training on the product. In terms of support, we have just two guys who handle the support. Two people are enough for its deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a fairly stable and good solution. We will keep on using it.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

Entrepreneur at Carmel Infotech Solutions
Reseller
Good reporting, stable, with local support available
  • "It is feature-rich, I like the server authentication, and the reports are good."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements made to the policy and simplify the policy-making, as the complexity of it makes it really tough."

What is our primary use case?

I am a reseller.

What is most valuable?

It is feature-rich, I like the server authentication, and the reports are good.

What needs improvement?

The recent changes of the policy compared to Cyberoam are a little bit less user-friendly and complicated. Cyberoam is much easier to use.

Security could be better.

I have been working with Sophos XG for more than six years.

It's a stable product.

It's more scalable than most, but like other products, a Sandbox cannot be scalable.

Our clients are small and medium-sized companies.

We get a local-level team for support. There is less support with Cyberoam.

Cyberoam is the first product I started selling. We sell Fortinet also. Customers prefer Fortinet.

There is not a lot of difference between Sophos and Fortinet, they are very similar but in a large environment, Fortinet is better.

The initial setup is really not a problem, but the policy-making is a bit complex.

The price is not reasonable. The price is a bit higher.

Cyberoam is better in terms of cost.

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend Sophos but there is a Enterprise security concern so I prefer Palo Alto.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Cameron Andrews - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at Knox
Easy control management, easy setup, and reliant support
  • "Web filtering is easy enough to deploy, manage, or make exceptions to."
  • "The logging side of it could definitely be better. Some of the logging lacks, and the information that they provide you, especially in the spam filtering section, could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for web content filtering, spam filtering, and VPN.

What is most valuable?

The setup and the control management are easy enough. For the most part, the features that it offers work well.

Web filtering is easy enough to deploy, manage, or make exceptions to.

What needs improvement?

We're going into our third year.

For what we use it for, it does what we need to do with little to no issue. It is not overly complex for us to be able to deploy what we need.

We're a school. We have 150 staff and 700 to 800 students.

I haven't had any problems with their technical support. Every time we've had to call them, they have been fairly reliant. They have been able to solve the issue or the question that we had.

I've been through a few.

Its setup is easy enough.

Because we're in education, Sophos gives us a very competitive price for it.

What other advice do I have?

When we first got it, we were on version 17. We have now upgraded to version 18. There was a significant change between versions 17 and 18. Once you get your head around those differences, it is not that complex. Now, version 18 does some stuff that some of my older firewalls used to out of the box. So, that in itself was more of a nicety. It makes things a lot easier.

I would rate Sophos XG a nine out of 10.

Thameem Ansari - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior solution architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Suitable for any environment, plenty of features, and strong protection capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for typical perimeters a firewall is used for. Recently they have added some more additional security such as web application firewalls and email security as part of their offering.

What is most valuable?

The solution has all the security features you would need for any type of environment. I have found the protection capabilities and email security protection most valuable.

What needs improvement?

In feature releases of the solution, I would like there to be an increase in the detection capability. The detection is low compared to the other solution available in the market.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

The solution has been stable. However, two years ago there were some issues causing stability concerns.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

I have found the technical support could be more knowledgeable and faster in the future.

The installation was very easy. When comparing the installation to other firewalls it takes approximately the same amount of time. We were able to complete the migration from our old firewall in one day. In terms of migration downtime, it is in the average range compared to other solutions. The rolling out of the policies time depends on the existing environment.

The deployment and maintenance of the solution can be done by one technician, it is very simple.

There is no license required to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Head Operations at Intersect Technologies
Easy to deploy at customer locations and it is priced well
  • "Using Sophos endpoint and the firewall, synchronized security is easy."
  • "LAN inbound and outbound traffic requires more control."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XG with medical institutions and corporate banks that we work with. There are approximately 20 employees working with this product in our company.

What is most valuable?

Being centralized, Sophos provides us threat protection there. Even with standalone, we are able to provide the Sophos firewall. Having an internal dashboard and a single dashboard with some endpoints is also valuable. By using Sophos endpoint and the firewall, synchronized security is easy.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement with service and support. LAN inbound and outbound traffic requires more control and an additional stop.

We have been using Sophos XG for almost 10 years. We are partners with Sophos.

Stability and performance is good.

The solution is easy to scale.

There is no maintenance required with Sophos XG because it is a cloud product.

Previously I was using Cyberoam and Fortinet. We switched because there was a lot of hardware, and the performance was not satisfactory. We were experiencing space concerns with the hardware, the dual processor, and even the single processor. This also meant that synchronized security was not there as well.

The initial set up of the solution was simple. It took about 20 minutes.

We implemented the software on our own.

The price is cheaper compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG because it is easy to deploy at customer locations and it is priced well. I would rate this product a 10 out of 10.

Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022