We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Amgad Soliman
Senior System & Security Administrator at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
It has a good interface that's very user-friendly
  • "I've tried out Sophos XG a little. It has a good interface that's very user-friendly, but I haven't used all of its functions because I'm only configuring and running the system."
  • "I would prefer if Sophos XG were cheaper. A lower price would benefit me as a system provider for the end customer. The cost of the license and renewal for all the software and devices is somewhat high."

What is most valuable?

I've tried out Sophos XG a little. It has a good interface that's very user-friendly, but I haven't used all of its functions because I'm only configuring and running the system.

I've been working with Sophos XG for six months. I am not an end-user. I only provide the solution and implementation.

I think Sophos XG is very stable because the users who have installed it never mention any issues. It's very stable and scalable.

Sophos XG is a scalable solution. Our clients who use Sophos are not big companies.

I haven't dealt with Sophos support because I'm just doing the basic implementation for the Sophos. But I Sophos support is very experienced and helpful. Sophos has a team for administration and implementation—a good team to improve the application.

It depends on the implementation and the deployment of systems. In my small company, I have four people on my technical team. Two of them specialize in firewall and security. They're working on Fortinet. They deal with antivirus and security implementation as well as Veeam Backup. The other two handle the administration implementation, including Active Directory and other administration solutions.

I would prefer if Sophos XG were cheaper. A lower price would benefit me as a system provider for the end customer. The cost of the license and renewal for all the software and devices is somewhat high.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG nine out of 10. I am a Fortinet partner. If a user asks me which solution to buy, I'll tell them Fortinet. But if the customer needs Sophos, I will implement it for him. However, if I had a Sophos partnership, I would recommend it every time.

IT Executive at Hotel Maluri Kuala Lumpur
User-friendly and easy to explore with many good features
  • "The product is very easy to explore. It has a very good layout."
  • "The solution is tied to the US dollar. You need to pay whatever the equivalent is in your own currency, and, if the exchange is bad, it can really add to the cost."

What is most valuable?

Overall, everything about the solution works well. We haven't had any issues at all.

The features on offer are great. It has pretty much everything we need.

The solution is very user-friendly.

The product is very easy to explore. It has a very good layout.

What needs improvement?

I need to do a bit more research on the product. I can't think of any features that are missing.

We've been using the solution for three years. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time.

The stability is great. We don't have any issues. I haven't come across bugs or glitches. There isn't crashing or freezing. It's reliable.

Technical support is quite good. That said, we really haven't had any issues with the product itself.

I used to use Fortinet. That was at a different company, however.

The solution is very straightforward to set up. It's not too complex. Sophos Endpoint is similar in that respect. It's easy to implement.

The pricing is a bit expensive. That is mostly due to the US exchange. If the exchange is bad, it's quite an expensive option for us.

What other advice do I have?

We are Sophos customers. We're just end-users.

We also use Sophos Intercept X and Sophos Endpoint as well.

It's a good option. It's easy to explore and to use. Everything is pretty straightforward, especially if you compare it to other firewalls.

Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with it in general.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AnkitMittal
Network Engineer at Vibs
Stable, scalable, with a good central dashboard, and good technical support
  • "The most valuable feature is the central dashboard"
  • "I would like to see the performance improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are integrators. We integrate solutions for other our client's companies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the central dashboard. It provides us with good performance.

What needs improvement?

When you utilize the processors, the device hangs. Many firewalls hang because of the high volume of loads.

If we are using the HP policy and the user policy at the same time, the firewall gets hung and it means that we cannot get clear reports.

We have mitigated the firewall with Palo Alto because Palo Alto is working on multiple environments.

I would like to see the performance improved.

I have been working with Sophos XG for three years.

Currently, we are using the MR4 v18.

It's a stable solution.

This product is scalable. I would rate the scalability an eight out of ten.

So far we use this solution for SMB and enterprise companies.

Technical support is very good.

We are also working with Fortinet FortiGate and Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls.

Palo Alto is the best product from a compliance point of view, and security. Fortinet is the second and the last is Sophos XG.

I have installed Sophos XG in multiple organizations.

The initial setup is very easy.

It took less than 10 minutes to deploy.

Sophos is very good for small companies because of the cost of the product compared to other solutions.

The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls to Sophos. Palo Alto is very good and the customers are happy. The hardware is customizable with multiple firewalls. I think that it is the best.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at Wavednet Group
Enhanced security features, easy to use for all users, and has informative reports
  • "The solution has very good security features, is easy to use for administrators and users, and has informative reports."
  • "I would like to see in future releases a tool to scan for malicious packets and give the location of where they are coming from."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT solution company and we provide network security. This solution is used for securing your network.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in future releases a tool to scan for malicious packets and give the location of where they are coming from. Nowadays all over the world is suffering from ransomware threats. If they could map where those packets are coming from and make the packet monitoring more efficient it will be helpful to prevent more of these kinds of threats.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The solution has been highly stable.

We have used SonicWall and Fortinet in the past.

The installation is very easy for anyone. The configuration is straightforward, all the information is available through a quick Google search.

The price can be a bit steep but for the number of features, it is worth it. Additionally, the enterprise version of this solution is priced well for all the features that you receive.

If you are thinking about implementing Fortinet, SonicWall, or any other product you will pay extra for additional security features and might need to purchase additional licenses. If they just spend a little more on this solution they will get the extra features for the same amount.

This solution has security features that in other solution you have to purchase them as add-ons, such as malware and email filters. Comparing this solution overall to competitors it is by far the best.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Senior IT Manager at a agriculture with 11-50 employees
A stable, flexible, and easy-to-use solution that works well and comes with a web management portal that can be accessed from anywhere
  • "It is stable, flexible, and easy to use. It has got a web management portal that can be accessed from anywhere."
  • "I would like to have more artificial intelligence in the web monitoring service that comes with it. It should alert us when particular events happen. It has already got some of that. I know that it is more of a service, and Sophos is already looking at it. It is called SIEM."

What is our primary use case?

It can be used as a firewall, SD-WAN enabler, and secure web gateway. You can also use it for unified threat management, email detection, mobile device management, and wireless management. I use it in the cloud and on-premises, and I have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable, flexible, and easy to use. It has got a web management portal that can be accessed from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have more artificial intelligence in the web monitoring service that comes with it. It should alert us when particular events happen. It has already got some of that. I know that it is more of a service, and Sophos is already looking at it. It is called SIEM.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

We have roughly 700 users who use this firewall.

I have interacted with them a few times. I am very satisfied with their technical support.

We were using FortiGate.

It is easy to install. I have done the installation in less than a day.

We did it ourselves. We have two people for its deployment. We have one engineer and one admin.

It is not that expensive compared to the other solutions. It is about the same price range as Fortigate, which we used previously. Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We're very happy with the product. It works very well, and we don't have too many issues.

I would rate Sophos XG a nine out of ten.

ICT Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, scalable, and fairly stable, but needs simplified interface and better security
  • "We find it easy to use. Its internal configuration is very easy. It is not complicated in terms of use and configuration. It has been fairly stable, and it is also scalable."
  • "They can simplify its interface so that it is mostly drag-and-drop. There was an SQL injection attack on some Sophos devices. They just need to harden their devices a little bit so that they can't be hacked very easily."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it at a gateway level. We are using Sophos XG Series 135.

What is most valuable?

We find it easy to use. Its internal configuration is very easy. It is not complicated in terms of use and configuration.

It has been fairly stable, and it is also scalable.

What needs improvement?

They can simplify its interface so that it is mostly drag-and-drop. There was an SQL injection attack on some Sophos devices. They just need to harden their devices a little bit so that they can't be hacked very easily.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It has been fairly stable.

It is scalable. We had scaled it for the number of users that we have, and it has worked fine for us. We have around 40 users.

We rarely contact their technical support. There was a time when our head office contacted their technical support. It was an issue in 2008, and they provided a patch.

We used Cisco ASA five or six years ago.

We found it easy to install. Its installation took around one to one and a half hours.

I did it myself. I have had some training on the product. In terms of support, we have just two guys who handle the support. Two people are enough for its deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a fairly stable and good solution. We will keep on using it.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

Entrepreneur at Carmel Infotech Solutions
Reseller
Good reporting, stable, with local support available
  • "It is feature-rich, I like the server authentication, and the reports are good."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements made to the policy and simplify the policy-making, as the complexity of it makes it really tough."

What is our primary use case?

I am a reseller.

What is most valuable?

It is feature-rich, I like the server authentication, and the reports are good.

What needs improvement?

The recent changes of the policy compared to Cyberoam are a little bit less user-friendly and complicated. Cyberoam is much easier to use.

Security could be better.

I have been working with Sophos XG for more than six years.

It's a stable product.

It's more scalable than most, but like other products, a Sandbox cannot be scalable.

Our clients are small and medium-sized companies.

We get a local-level team for support. There is less support with Cyberoam.

Cyberoam is the first product I started selling. We sell Fortinet also. Customers prefer Fortinet.

There is not a lot of difference between Sophos and Fortinet, they are very similar but in a large environment, Fortinet is better.

The initial setup is really not a problem, but the policy-making is a bit complex.

The price is not reasonable. The price is a bit higher.

Cyberoam is better in terms of cost.

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend Sophos but there is a Enterprise security concern so I prefer Palo Alto.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Cameron Andrews
System Administrator at Knox
Easy control management, easy setup, and reliant support
  • "Web filtering is easy enough to deploy, manage, or make exceptions to."
  • "The logging side of it could definitely be better. Some of the logging lacks, and the information that they provide you, especially in the spam filtering section, could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for web content filtering, spam filtering, and VPN.

What is most valuable?

The setup and the control management are easy enough. For the most part, the features that it offers work well.

Web filtering is easy enough to deploy, manage, or make exceptions to.

What needs improvement?

We're going into our third year.

For what we use it for, it does what we need to do with little to no issue. It is not overly complex for us to be able to deploy what we need.

We're a school. We have 150 staff and 700 to 800 students.

I haven't had any problems with their technical support. Every time we've had to call them, they have been fairly reliant. They have been able to solve the issue or the question that we had.

I've been through a few.

Its setup is easy enough.

Because we're in education, Sophos gives us a very competitive price for it.

What other advice do I have?

When we first got it, we were on version 17. We have now upgraded to version 18. There was a significant change between versions 17 and 18. Once you get your head around those differences, it is not that complex. Now, version 18 does some stuff that some of my older firewalls used to out of the box. So, that in itself was more of a nicety. It makes things a lot easier.

I would rate Sophos XG a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.