We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
General Manager - IT Infrastructure / Security at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Effective Live Mount feature, reliable, and straightforward installation
  • "The most valuable feature has been the Live Mount feature."
  • "There are some features to improve on in Rubrik. For instance, they should have a tool where we can integrate with our SAP HANA. Directly from the HANA studio, we should be able to do a backup. That's what I'm looking forward to in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Rubrik for our server backups.

How has it helped my organization?

The Live Mount feature is one of the main features we use. It is saving us time in restoring the VMs, allowing us to give them quickly to the developers for testing. There is a faster turnaround time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature has been the Live Mount feature.

What needs improvement?

There are some features Rubrik planning to give in next version. For instance, a tool where we can integrate with our SAP HANA native tool directly from the HANA studio/HANA Cockpit, to trigger backup and restore. We understand it is available in the new version, looking forward to it.

I have been using Rubrik for approximately three years.

Rubrik is stable.

Rubrik is scalable. We can manage multiple Rubrik appliances from a single console.

All of our IT infrastructure team are using Rubrik. We are using it in at our data centers in  India, and we have another  in the middle east. We have recently increased our usage of the solution.

The technical support is good. We have good contact, all the issues are resolved on time.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have previously used a backup tool only for virtual infrastructure, as we were migrating to SAP HANA from a virtual environment. We wanted to have a single solution for virtual and physical  environments , Rubrik is helping us in a great way here.

The initial setup was straightforward. However, since Rubrik was new to use and different than the previous our solution, there were some new things we need to understand, such as SLA based orchestrating. We were used to scheduling it manually before, Once SLA is done the automation in place.

The full implementation process took us two and a half weeks.

The implementation was directly from the OEM.

We have received a return on investment.

We pay annually for the license for Rubrik. There are no additional costs. Initially, we needed to set it up, negotiate and finalize the offer.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise people who are wanting to implement this solution to evaluate their business case and the business requirement prior to making their decision because every enterprise has a different requirements and environments, they should do the thorough assessments, POC's  then decide on what backup fits their needs.

I rate Rubrik a nine out of ten

Systems Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Simple to integrate and scale from small to big
  • "The solution is extremely stable. They've been phenomenal, especially for a young company."
  • "Could be improved from an analytics point of view."

What is our primary use case?

A primary use case and where Rubrik was ahead of the pack, was ransomware attacks. They were one of the first companies that offered proper ransomware recovery, but some of the others have caught up in the meantime.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature from a simplicity point of view is that it is very simple and easy to deploy and scale. You just add one brick; you can start off small and just add on, add on, add on. Whereas with a lot of the other products, every time you've got to upgrade, you've got to pull the backup server out and put a new backup server in that's bigger and stronger. With this, it's building blocks. You can build from small to big.

What needs improvement?

An area of the solution that could be improved is from an analytics point of view, if I had to choose something.

From an integration perspective, it's very easy to create integration. They have most things covered well.

I've been selling the solution for two years.

The solution is extremely stable. You can look at the Gartner Quadrant, where they sit. They've been phenomenal, especially for a young company.

The solution is very simple and easy to scale. It is extremely scalable.

The technical support is fantastic. You can look at the published reviews; they're right at the top, from a response/customer satisfaction point of view.

The initial setup is very simple and easy to deploy. Very straightforward. It's literally, I don't want to say minutes, but from a simplicity point of view, I don't think you can get it simpler.

You only need one person for deployment and maintenance. It's always better to have more than one person, but it depends on the environment. I would say, at least half the staff requirement of what you need with Spectrum.

There is a license requirement for the solution. If you expand or if the maintenance period expires, there's a license renewal as well.

What other advice do I have?

Rubrik is my product of choice at the moment. I would rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Rubrik. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solutions Architect at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Scalable, helpful support, and simple deployment

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Rubrik to backup everything in the infrastructure, except the mainframe. For example, we were using it to do our DR, long-term archive, and some surveys on different cloud tiers.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the most valuable features was the ease of expanding the resources. Additionally, it is able to backup the cloud and on-premise.

I have used Rubrik within the past 12 months.

How has it helped my organization?

I have used Rubrik within the past 12 months.

The main pain points we experienced was the stability of the system. We received a lot of instability when we have upgraded from a certain version to a new version. The newer version was completely filled with bugs and we needed to purge the system every week until we update to a newer version that was available one year later. The stability of the code is the main problem, they need to make it better.

When we have ironed out all the small problems, Rubrik was stable. When we were using our old backup we had approximately 40 incidents per week, with Rubrik we might only have two or three incidents per week. It is a lot more stable than our previous solution.

Rubrik is highly scalable and is easy to do.

The process of increasing or scaling the solution is to add a new server, power on the server, tell the customer they have a new server and then everything gets rebalance on the new server. Increasing and decreasing is very fast and easy.

When updates are needed everything is done through the support. When we need to upgrade we call the support, open a tunnel and the support will upgrade the box.

We have used other solutions in the past.

The initial setup takes approximately four hours. In four hours, we set up the configuration, connected it to VMware, and took the first backup. The whole process was very simple.

Rubrik is priced high, but it was the solution that was providing us encryption and was secure. The solution price is high, but you get what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is for them to try and segregate the database on their own cluster.

I rate Rubrik a ten out of ten.

Principal at a venture capital & private equity firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, supports cloud backup, and can be used as a file server
  • "What I like about Rubrik is that you can back up to the cloud. It is a different kind of backup where you're not archiving the tape. Rubrik is a physical appliance. It is a dedicated appliance to which you can back up, and you can also back up to another device. So, you can back up to Rubrik and then to another device. If you have more than one site, you can set up Rubrik on site A and also on site B. You can back up to the Rubrik on site A and then replicate that data to the Rubrik on site B."
  • "It is a lot more expensive than other solutions, but you get what you pay for."

What is most valuable?

What I like about Rubrik is that you can back up to the cloud. It is a different kind of backup where you're not archiving the tape. Rubrik is a physical appliance. It is a dedicated appliance to which you can back up, and you can also back up to another device. So, you can back up to Rubrik and then to another device. If you have more than one site, you can set up Rubrik on site A and also on site B. You can back up to the Rubrik on site A and then replicate that data to the Rubrik on site B.

I like it. There are so many functions. It can also be used as a file server. It is a physical appliance. It is a backup device, but it can also be used as a file server. It can back up a file share.

What needs improvement?

It is a lot more expensive than other solutions, but you get what you pay for.

I didn't have any issues with it.

You can scale it. It is expensive, and it normally requires their support team's help because it is a physical brick. So, you usually connect another brick to it, and it scales out to that brick. So, it is easy to scale out. Scalability is not a problem.

Since the time I've used it, I never had to call their support. I didn't have any issues with it.

It is pretty easy to set up because it is a physical appliance. You just need to configure IP addresses. There is not much to set up on that. You just plug it into the network and assign IP addresses. After that, you just log in, and you're ready to go.

Some people say it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you want a Maserati, you have to pay for it. If you want to buy a Porsche, you have to pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

If you're still backing the tape, Rubrik is not going to be for you.

I would rate it a strong nine out of 10. It is a solid product.

Director of Technical Services at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent support, beneficial restorations, and simple installation
  • "The most valuable features of Rubrik are the restoration and ease of use."
  • "The solution could improve by having fewer VM Stuns."

What is our primary use case?

We use Rubrik for backup and recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Rubrik is critical for our organization because it keeps our data safe. It helps us meet all of our POs and TOs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Rubrik are the restoration and ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having fewer VM Stuns.

I have been using Rubrik for approximately three years.

We have recently scaled the solution and it went well.

We have an administrator and people who do the restorations that use the solution.

I rate Rubrik support a five out of five.

We were previously using Avamar, but we switch because it was too expensive.

The initial installation was very simple.

I would create the ease of installation a five out of five.

We used a VAR for the implementation and our experience was excellent.

We haven't actually calculated the ROI, but there's a good return on investment.

I would rate the ROI of Rubrik a four out of five.

We are on an annual license to use Rubrik and it is priced well.

I would rate the price of Rubrik a four out of five.

We evaluated other options before, such as Cohesity. We choose Rubrik because it was overall a better solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are wanting to implement this solution I would recommend doing your homework and evaluating other solutions.

I rate Rubrik a nine out of ten.

Boomchi Kumar
Engagement Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Live mount capability significantly reduces complexity and provides good RTO

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution extensively - it helps with fast recovery scenarios and some ransomware issues. The solution is used by the operations department and I believe there are more than five people involved in maintenance, most are storage or network admins. I'm an engagement architect.

What is most valuable?

The live mount capability is the most valuable feature in the product because it reduces the complexity and gives us good RTO.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's pretty rough.

I've been using this solution since it was introduced into the market about four or five years ago.

There is good stability in this…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's pretty rough.

There is good stability in this solution, it's reliable.

The solution is highly scalable and reliable. We have a lot of users in the company, most are storage and backup admins. Not everyone has access to the backup system.

Rubrik customer support is excellent.

I have used Veritas in the past. We switched to Rubrik because the solution offered more.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment to about three hours, no more. The setup time really depends on net issues.

What other advice do I have?

This product is easy to manage.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees
Secure, simple to use , and the support is excellent

What is our primary use case?

It was a test environment for testing the backups.

What is most valuable?

Rubrik is a little better than Cohesity. Rubrik, when compared to Cohesity, Dell, and Veritas, was the best of the four. For the most part, it is easy to use. It is secure.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard and user interface could be improved to make them more user-friendly.

Rubrik was last used six months ago.

We had some stability issues. We encountered some bugs and glitches. I recall having to go to the lab because we couldn't get in from the outside, we had to gain access from within, and I had a network.

What is our primary use case?

It was a test environment for testing the backups.

What is most valuable?

Rubrik is a little better than Cohesity.

Rubrik, when compared to Cohesity, Dell, and Veritas, was the best of the four.

For the most part, it is easy to use.

It is secure.

What needs improvement?

Rubrik was last used six months ago.

We had some stability issues. We encountered some bugs and glitches.

Rubrik is easy to scale.

We had a team of about seven users when we were working with Rubrik.

Technical support was pretty good. They were excellent.

I have also worked with Cohesity, Dell, and Veritas. Cohesity was one of the simplest. It is more user-friendly.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The Rubrik, team assisted us with the installation and the updates.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Rubrik a nine out of ten.

Maan Othman
Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Good protection, impressive support, and suitable for enterprises

What is our primary use case?

It is used for data protection, data backup and security, and disaster recovery. It is also used for backup as a service inside the organization, and it is sometimes also used for cloud migration.

What is most valuable?

The security and the ransomware protection are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

They need to find a solution for SMBs. It is currently only suitable for enterprises or big customers. They need to find a solution that suits SMBs.

I have been using this solution for almost five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

They are very…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The security and the ransomware protection are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

They are very impressive. Their support is good, and they are cooperative.

It was straightforward. It took a maximum of two days.

For its deployment, you need one to two technical engineers. For support, you need one technical engineer.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to compare this solution to others, it should be an apple to apple comparison. This way, you will see the full value of the solution.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Download our free Rubrik Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.