We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Senior System Administrator at Secure Code
A stable and scalable business email and calendaring server that's user-friendly
  • "It's a very user-friendly application. The mail server is also valuable when compared to other services like SquirrelMail."
  • "From a security point of view, Microsoft should enhance the new features. Technical support could also be better."

What is most valuable?

It's a very user-friendly application. The mail server is also valuable when compared to other services like SquirrelMail.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Microsoft Exchange for about three or four years.

Exchange is a very good Microsoft product, and it's very stable. It's rare to face issues like mailboxes, but troubleshooting is very easy.

From a security point of view, Microsoft Edge's role is very good. This is because the Edge server is not part of an internal network. If there's a vector attack on Exchange, it will affect only the internal Exchange Edge server and not our private network or DMZ.

This product is reliable and very scalable. We have almost 5,000 users at the moment.

Technical support is average at best. Many times Microsoft engineers took a long time to support us after we logged a case.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Exchange is for any company with 400 to 500 people, but a mid-size company can also use this product. It's not very costly for them. The alternative many companies are using is Gmail desktop services with about 100 users. I don't know about the quantity, but many companies are using Gmail as a free service because they don't want to invest in other products like Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Office 365.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Exchange a nine.

IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support, simple to set up, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for email and communication. We also implement this product for our customers.

What needs improvement?

In the version we have, I would like to see better communication between the end device and the Exchange server.

We have been using Microsoft Exchange for the last 15 years.

We use Exchange on a daily basis and most of the time, it is stable.

Exchange is very easy to scale and we have approximately 1,000 users.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Microsoft Exchange for the last 15 years.

We use Exchange on a daily basis and most of the time, it is stable.

Exchange is very easy to scale and we have approximately 1,000 users.

If we have an issue where a support ticket is escalated to level three then we will contact the vendor. The technical support is good and we haven't had any issues.

I have not personally worked with other similar solutions.

The initial setup is very simple.

We are a partner and deploy this product on our own. There is four or five staff who are system administrators.

We provide level one and level two technical support for our customers.

With respect to pricing, this product is somewhere in the middle. Everything is included in the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product but our version is reaching end-of-life. I would recommend using the most recent version of Exchange.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Flexible messaging server with longstanding reputation for stability
  • "Exchange is very scalable, it's one of the most important things about this software."
  • "An area for improvement would be the convenience of working with Azure services from Exchange on-premise installations."

What is our primary use case?

My main use case is corporate messaging.

What is most valuable?

The most important things are its long reputation of stability and that it has a lot of options for corporate staff.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for at least 15 years.

This is a very stable solution.

We've had some issues getting responses from Microsoft support lately, as they seem not to be very interested in the Russian region nowadays.

Exchange isn't a very hard solution to implement, though the infrastructure can require some changes in advance. Deployment can take anywhere from a few months to a few years, depending on the size of the customer and the project.

Exchange is better for medium to large businesses because it can be quite costly for SMB, which may not need all the options the product provides. Customers may also need to buy additional client licenses depending on the options they require.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

BrianSvendsen
Controls Engineer at C-Tech Controls
Easy to set up but doesn't work very well on a virtual machine

What is our primary use case?

We use it just for email.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't work very well on a virtual machine. We had to move it around. There are also issues when you try to move it between computers.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for around ten years.

Its stability is not so great. We can't move mailboxes because of a corrupt file or random issues, which causes headaches.

We didn't have any need to scale it. We have got the same number of people in our company. We have 20 users at the moment. They are accountants and engineers at the job sites.

How

What is our primary use case?

We use it just for email.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for around ten years.

We don't really use them. We use a local IT company for any major issue.

We've had the same solution for a long time.

The setup program is straightforward, but there are hiccups when you try to move it between computers. You come across different issues.

Its price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a seven out of ten.

Ashraf Attia
Sr. Microsoft Engineer at nournet
A user-friendly email and calendaring server with lots of features
  • "It's an excellent product from Microsoft. It provides more flexibility to the end-users. As it's connected with Teams, it also enables collaboration."
  • "From a security perspective, Microsft Exchange can be improved. All that needs to be added is security, but that's an internal hierarchical problem from the product itself and not the end-users."

What is our primary use case?

We use Exchange for email services and collaboration services.

What is most valuable?

It's an excellent product from Microsoft. It provides more flexibility to the end-users. As it's connected with Teams, it also enables collaboration. You can share documents through emails and more. There are lots of features, and it's very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

From a security perspective, Microsft Exchange can be improved. All that needs to be added is security, but that's an internal hierarchical problem from the product itself and not the end-users.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for about ten years.

There are some limitations when it comes to scalability, but Microsoft always continues to improve it. Now I'm serving more than 2,000 users, and I think my company serves about 10,000 users.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward for the small use cases. Each case is different, but for the most part, it's almost straightforward.

Microsoft doesn't have a unit price, it's based on the quantity, and they offer great discounts.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to go with Exchange. Exchange Online is also very similar to Office 365.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Exchange a nine.

IT Support Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Compatible with other clients, effective business features, and simple client setup

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange for emails.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Exchange is comparable to the Outlook client. Both are Microsoft products, and most people are familiar with Outlook. This is why the best feature of Microsoft Exchange is the ease of use. It is more compatible with the client software, especially for Microsoft Outlook. There are a lot of features available that are required for businesses users.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for approximately five years.

Microsoft Exchange is stable. However, there are other solutions that are more stable, such as Zimbra.

The…

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange for emails.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for approximately five years.

The solution is stable, but it could improve. It's crashing if there is a big mail database.  The Zimbra solution is better in this area.

We have approximately 200 people using this solution and we plan to continue to use this solution.

We have contacted support. The support for Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 is widely available and is good.

I have used Zimbra.

The installation is simple for the clients.

We have approximately three engineers that support this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Exchange an eight out of ten.

Architecture Director at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
We're confident in the solution because the support is always there for us
  • "Exchange's interface is good. All of our engineers like it and are accustomed to using it."
  • "The main problem with Microsoft products is that we're constantly required to install patches and fixes."

What is most valuable?

Exchange's interface is good. All of our engineers like it and are accustomed to using it.

What needs improvement?

The main problem with Microsoft products is that we're constantly required to install patches and fixes. In fact, Microsoft frequently publishes, which is in itself a guarantee of quality, security updates especially for the OS that we are forced to apply. The problem is, this causes us to do a lot of testing before we go into production to make sure that our systems continue to function properly.

I've worked as an administrator of Microsoft Exchange for five years.

We haven't identified any serious problems with Exchange.

We have always used Exchange. That's a strategic choice for our company. We are confident in Microsoft because their support is always there for us.

The setup was easy. When we first deployed Exchange, we had some guidance from Microsoft, but now our engineers use it effortlessly.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Exchange eight out of 10. I hope Microsoft will continue to support the on-premises versions of their products because they are increasingly orienting themselves toward Exchange in the cloud. Unfortunately, cloud services are unavailable here in Nigeria.

Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly and scales with our organization, but they need better anti-spam functionality

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Exchange for our email. It is hosted with Zimbra and we use Exchange to interact with it.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of spam email that comes in, so they should add functionality to help fix this problem. Better integration with other service providers would be helpful.

I joined the company two months ago and I have been using Microsoft Exchange since then. The company has been using it for much longer.

This is a stable product. With our IT putting a firewall in place, it is robust.

My impression is that…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other service providers would be helpful.

My impression is that it's scalable. We have approximately 1,000 users.

I have not has a reason to contact Microsoft for support.

When I joined the company, my laptop was pre-configured, so everything was already done.

Our in-house IT team is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this is a good product and I am happy with it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.