Bill McKee - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Owner, Platform Services at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great replication and deduplication with helpful new features about to come out
  • "Currently, the features of replication and deduplication have been very important to us."
  • "It was very new when we first deployed it a year ago. Even the upgrade processes and knowing what to expect, as well as documentation, could be more robust."

What is our primary use case?

We're addressing performance issues in our data center as well as the data duplication features to make sure we can be efficient in how we're storing data.

How has it helped my organization?

The main improvement has been storage efficiency. The price per gig of what we're able to store has been the biggest aspect the business has seen.

What is most valuable?

Some of the new features that are coming out, like vVols support are valuable. We're very excited about it. Currently, the features of replication and deduplication have been very important to us.

We've just heard that in the second half of this year, they will come out with support for vVols and the storage replication of those, which are new features. We're very excited about those. We've been waiting for them for a while.

What needs improvement?

It was very new when we first deployed it a year ago. Even just the upgrade processes and knowing what to expect, as well as documentation, could be more robust. We had folks that helped us through, however, we did have some bumps and bruises along the way.

Dell PowerStore
January 2023
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerStore. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2023.
670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using a solution for just over a year.

The stability has been solid for us since we deployed it. We haven't had any issues to speak of. A part failed somewhere, but it didn't cause any user impact, however, that's been the extent of it.

We tend to think of the users being our applications that are in there. However, in terms of the total global footprint of users, we've probably got 40,000 end-users, and probably 500 applications that run on top of it.

We are considering increasing usage. We have two other global data centers where it'll be deployed and then about 120 remote sites that we're just looking at now, whether we should make PowerStore our standard there or stay with the current unity.

My team was involved in the deployment. I know we had the pro deploy services that did a lot of the work for us. It took a little while to get updates done. It sat for a few months before our data center was ready to put it in. Other than that, the deployment went pretty seamlessly.

Once we actually had all the prereqs done, it was deployed within a week, it was probably just a few days even between the two sites. There were a couple of months of waiting, however, that was more on our side.

These were two new Greenfield data center builds. It was like starting from scratch with a partner and now we're migrating workloads into them. It wasn't integrating with anything that existed.

There was one person on my team who was coordinating with outside organizations to do some implementation work for us. He was a cloud/storage engineer.

In terms of maintenance requirements, there's one person who looks after things. We've got it integrated with CloudIQ from a management standpoint. It largely tells us when things need to happen, however, one person keeps up with updates, new firmware, and those kinds of things.

We did have outside assistance. We had Presidio as part of that deployment and we also had Dell's ProDeploy services. Both were very positive. They helped us understand both the prerequisites and what we needed to get started and then got us up and running effectively.

In terms of ROI, I don't have a good measure of it, however, I do know that we've seen definite improvements when we just compare what we've done in the past to what we're doing now. We've definitely seen improvements in terms of price per gig.

The great thing was the guarantee that came with it of the four-to-one deduplication ratio. That really helped with the pricing as well as the anytime upgrades. From a TCO standpoint, we were really able to see some benefits.

We did a bake-off between NetApp, Pure, and Dell. We've used EMC and then Dell storage solutions in our environment for years and have a proven relationship with the organization, as well as the product's capability.

What other advice do I have?

We have a private cloud within our two new North American global data centers. We've looked at connectivity to both AWS and Azure, however, we really don't have any storage replication heading there at this point.

I'd rate the product nine out of ten. With the new features that'll be out in a few months, it just continues to get better.

I like this solution. This was built more from the ground up with new features in mind. In particular, some of the capabilities that are coming out in the near future are really going to set it in a class above what the others have to offer.

Private Cloud
Founder and CEO at Desktoptowork
Machine learning and automation work well, and inline deduplication enables us to host more data
  • "The way you're able to manage all your PowerStores as one solution is very good for us. PowerStore enables you to federate or cluster multiple appliances with automated load balancing. In terms of management, it's helpful that we can do it from a single interface where we're able to manage multiple PowerStores. When you have multiple PowerStores it works intelligently by running the workloads based on the needs of the infrastructure."
  • "The setup process could be improved. We had some issues regarding configuration and the time it took to do things. It wasn't specifically the people we worked with, but more the process and how it's done. They can work on that."

What is our primary use case?

We were in need of a new enterprise storage solution for our virtual machines. We use it for primary systems and processes, so for us it's very important.

How has it helped my organization?

The built-in intelligence adapts quickly to changing workload requirements. It works as we expected it to work. It doesn't give you a view into how it's doing it because it's doing it in the backend, but up until now, every process has been working perfectly fine.

The biggest benefit is that we have an enterprise storage solution we can rely on. It does simplify storage operations. It's easy to manage.

In the few months that we have used it, the performance has been great.

What is most valuable?

The way you're able to manage all your PowerStores as one solution is very good for us. PowerStore enables you to federate or cluster multiple appliances with automated load balancing. In terms of management, it's helpful that we can do it from a single interface where we're able to manage multiple PowerStores. When you have multiple PowerStores, it works intelligently by running the workloads based on the needs of the infrastructure.

The solution's machine learning and automation work well when it comes to optimizing resources. It does inline deduplication which means that the net the amount of storage you have available is bigger. It can do all kinds of optimization in the system itself and that works very well.

We have been using Dell EMC PowerStore for about three months.

The most valuable features of PowerStore are its scale up and scale out. We are able to scale up if we need more space or more power in the current PowerStore setup, but we can also scale out if we want to put in an extra one beside it or in another data center.

Technical support for Compellent was a lot better because for Dell EMC the PowerStore is a new solution and they don't have a lot of people here in the Netherlands with the right knowledge to work on it.

Having said that, I don't have many concerns that it's a new solution. Other people do have concerns about that, but I believe in the knowledge of Dell EMC. Also, it's not 100 percent new. It's based on another hardware system, so I have no concerns.

Before, we were on Dell EMC Compellent hardware, and that was based on a tiering principle whereby we used quick and slower storage. We had more and more issues with that because it was a little bit outdated, around five years old. We were looking for a new solution to house our infrastructure.

The setup process could be improved. We had some issues regarding configuration and the time it took to do things. It wasn't specifically the people we worked with, but more the process and how it's done. They can work on that.

I'm not satisfied with the process they used to do the setup and the timeframe within which everything was done. For example, there were things which we needed to do together with Dell EMC. There were three meetings for doing three specific things, but we could have done them in one meeting. That's why the duration, from the moment we bought the hardware until we were able to use it, was two or three months. We had expected that we would be able to use the hardware quicker. But because of the implementation process, it took us longer than we wanted.

Three months is too soon for us to see ROI.

When we compared it with the other solutions, the pricing of PowerStore was equal. The pricing is good.

I don't know what the names were because I was not 100 percent involved in the selection process, but there were two other vendors we looked at.

One of the main differences was the way they do inline deduplication. In the backend, PowerStore does all kinds of smart things. The result is that with less physical storage being used, we are able to host more data. Also the fact that PowerStore is completely NVMe-based means performance is great, thanks to the technical architecture.

What other advice do I have?

The solution enables you to add compute and capacity independently, although in our environment we cannot add compute. We are able to add storage and that works, although we have not done so because we have only been working with PowerStore for three months and haven't needed any extra capacity yet.

Only three people work with PowerStore in our company, and they are all system administrators.

I'm happy with the choice we made. I can recommend PowerStore because the technical architecture is based on NVMe. They have a good USP. There are other vendors who also have NVME-only systems, but I still recommend PowerStore.

Dell PowerStore
January 2023
670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to add compute and capacity independently, giving us flexibility in responding to business changes
  • "You can add compute and capacity independently. We have sized the solution based on our current needs, but in the future we can choose to increase capacity if we grow our activity in the market. And if we have more business in our monetary system, we can increase compute. The ability to choose what we increase is a good feature."
  • "The only area I can highlight for improvement is that the 4:1 data reduction target has not been reached. This may be due to an issue with Dell EMC's initial analysis of data compression. As a result, we have had to add new physical disks to reach our goal of total available disk space."

What is our primary use case?

PowerStore is joined to four application servers in a cluster. We're running an application that we use to monitor our activity in the financial markets. We collect all the data from the market—books, trades, orders—that we send to the market. In terms of volume, we are collecting about 100 million rows a day for the books, 10 million a day for the orders, and about 500 rows for public trades.

It is a mission-critical application because of compliance and the regulators. We have to maintain this kind of monitoring because it's a direct link to our activity in the regulated market.

How has it helped my organization?

An interesting feature is the guaranteed reduction when it comes to the physical capacity of the disk. We have 30 terabytes of SSD and that is equivalent to 100 terabytes of effective capacity. It allows us to reduce the costs of capacity.

Our previous solution was Dell EMC Compellent. What we have seen immediately is how easy it is to use PowerStore compared to Compellent. PowerStore is much simpler to manage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features include

• easy of use
  • performance in terms of read-write capacity.

It is also important that you can add compute and capacity independently. We have sized the solution based on our current needs, but in the future we can choose to increase capacity if we grow our activity in the market. And if we have more business in our monetary system, we can increase compute. The ability to choose what we increase is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

The only area I can highlight for improvement is that the 4:1 data reduction target has not been reached. This may be due to an issue with Dell EMC's initial analysis of data compression. As a result, we have had to add new physical disks to reach our goal of total available disk space. Dell EMC has met us partway on this DRR issue by providing some of the additional disks free of charge, but we have had to purchase the remaining quantity of the disks we need.

We have been using PowerStore in our production environment for a few months, after using it in pre-production for about two months.

The stability has been very good so far.

We have not tested the scalability yet. All our data is well supported in the current solution, but we sized the new solution with more capacity than the previous one had.

The initial setup of PowerStore is a straightforward process. Setting up the Compellent was much more complex.

Overall, the setup took us about three weeks.

We ran it in a pre-production environment initially. We loaded all the data that was in production into the new environment and ran our application in both the pre-production and the production environments, just to test the stability and the availability of the application.

There are four people involved with the solution in our IT operations, and there are about 50 people who use the application that runs on it. Our application is a specific, department-level application, that is used for monitoring the activity in financial markets, so its use is limited to our business area. That is why the number of users is limited.

Dell EMC's support was very efficient during the setup of the entire solution. They handled the complete setup in terms of connections and also helped us with the software configuration and moving data from our old solution into the new solution.

We haven't seen ROI yet, but the return for us will be in the efficiency of monitoring our activities.

The pricing is in line with other vendors' pricing, more or less. There are no costs in addition to the standard fees.

We did not evaluate other solutions because Dell EMC is a partner for us and we're satisfied with them. We have evolved with their solutions and PowerStore is the best. Dell EMC is our vendor and provides us with all our other client-server solutions.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, I am satisfied by the simplicity and ease of use of the PowerStore.

Solutions Architect/ Consultant at IVT
Efficient, good performance for deduplication and compression, and it integrates well with VMware
  • "Overall, we're quite happy with the product because we can move the data that is stored on more than 10 of our current storage devices to a single PowerStore."
  • "There is no Synchronize replication feature on the storage."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our PowerStore units are used for VMware VMs and vSphere. We migrated the VMs from our Unity storage.

We have two sites; the data center site (DC) and the disaster recovery (DR) site. We only use the PowerStore on the DC site. The project was put on hold due to COVID but we plan to continue with it this year.

How has it helped my organization?

VMware integration with the product is good. We use vSphere, which is one of the main VMware functions. In addition, we use vSAN for storage, and we have to use the SIEM.

This solution has helped us to simplify our storage operations, although we have a lot of storage devices and too few administrators. Because of this, we're looking for a software solution to assist us with administration. This is something that we will be doing next year.

Overall, we're quite happy with the product because we can move the data that is stored on more than 10 of our current storage devices to a single PowerStore. In terms of efficiency, this solution is the best choice for us.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication and compression features are quite impressive because when we enable this feature on other products, such as HPE 3PAR, we have a lot of latency. With PowerStore, we don't have that issue.

This device is less CPU intensive than the EMC Unity and the HPE 3PAR.

PowerStore supports the iSCSI interface, which we find helpful. We use one for our fiber channel but another one for iSCSI.

What needs improvement?

There is no Synchronize replication feature on the storage.

PowerStore should include more NAS functionality.

I have been using EMC products since 2003, although I began using Dell EMC PowerStore only last year.

Stability-wise, we have had no issues at all. In the past, all of our EMC products have been stable. We have not had the storage fail or had a faulty port. We have not even had to call support since putting it into production.

We plan to expand our usage in the future. One of our next goals is to purchase a PowerStore for our DR site because we need to have replication for our financial use case. We also plan to replace some of our other storage devices with PowerStore because we need to improve the overall efficiency.

We have not opened a technical support case with Dell for PowerStore but because most of our products are from Dell, we have dealt with them in the past. We have purchased approximately 100 servers from Dell and we have always been quite happy with their support. We don't have any issues with them and I would rate them a ten out of ten.

Every time we have an issue, they work with us to resolve the problem. There has never been a need for a repeat call and we are quite happy with that.

We have many Dell EMC Unity storage devices, including the Unity 450 and Unity 650, but we wanted a new, smaller storage unit.

The main reason that we moved to PowerStore was the compression and deduplication.

The initial setup is easier than other products, such as Unity.

We were able to set up the storage and put it into production within one day. PowerStore is very quick to set up. By comparison, Unity will take at least two days to install.

We are happy with the pricing that we get from Dell.

What other advice do I have?

This solution enables us to add compute and capacity independently, although we have not had to change our configuration.

PowerStore uses machine learning and automation for optimizing resources but we are just starting with it, so I don't know much about these features.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Sr. Manager, Data Center Practice at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good block storage with responsive support and an easy implementation process
  • "The solution is extremely stable."
  • "It's also only supported with a limited amount of switches."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, and we use them to demonstrate to our customers the PowerStore interface as well as to power our own lab demos, running vCenter, NSX, and other software utilities.

How has it helped my organization?

For our demo lab, before we got PowerStore, we were running on a really outdated storage platform that was running out of space and didn't have enough internal resources to be able to power our customer demos. This product really helped facilitate and we do quite a few PowerStore demos since we have that device.

What is most valuable?

Our older PowerStore is where most of our demos are located. We're just using it as a block of storage and storage to power the VMware environment. That's been our main use case.

What needs improvement?

The networking was difficult and complicated. It took as long to configure it correctly for the networking, as to roll it out. It would be good if there was a way to simplify the network complexity.

It's also only supported with a limited amount of switches. If I hadn't bought the Dell switches, I would've had some issues with my legacy switches. That's been our number one issue with customers, when they say, "oh no, I'm going to use this other switch."

We have two PowerStores. We have one that's three years old, and we have a new one we just implemented a couple of weeks ago.

The solution is extremely stable. We haven't had any issues with it.

We only have the product in one location. Only six people have touched the solution. That's between the people who maintain it and sales architects who use it for demonstrations.

We have full Dell support. One time, my engineer was in the lab and knocked a power cable loose. I got an email within 15 minutes saying "you had an unexpected node failure, and do you need help?" They were on top of it. They are right there and they reach out proactively.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We had Compellent previously and that had aged out. It was six years old. Then we had EqualLogic that was in place just for NAS storage. That one also aged out and was running out of space. This product replaced both of those units.

I was involved in the initial setup of this solution. It was pretty straightforward. With the first implementation, we were done in about 12 hours. That included the networking switches. The unit, PowerStore itself, is probably deployed in only six hours.

The solution requires maintenance. I am not the one who performs the maintenance. Our lead engineer handles it.

We used Dell Professional Services during the implementation. I also had my lead PowerStore engineer and some of our sales architects shadow it, as well as a couple of my other engineers who hadn't used PowerStore. Dell let us have about four people shadow the installation so that my staff could get some knowledge as it got deployed.

We've seen an ROI. We're a reseller. Being able to do those demos for our customers helps us sell more products.

I don't really have any line of sight on the pricing. I heard it's comparable to the other Dell storage units.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a really good product.

I'd advise potential new users to have a demo or do a hands-on lab to try it out. Also, make sure you buy supported switches.

Private Cloud
Wafa Ben Ameur1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales System Engineer at Onetech Business Solutions
Great migration performance with unlimited scalability
  • "Migrations are very easy and fast."
  • "More demonstration and training options are needed."

What is our primary use case?

Our company partners with the solution to offer customers storage as a service. We currently use the solution internally for our data center and to conduct tests or demos.

We have not yet used the solution for customers because product lead time is slow and long.

How has it helped my organization?

We are focused on providing our customers with quality service. The solution saves customers time and money because it handles migrations quickly and does not require additional IT resources or staff.

What is most valuable?

The solution's scalability, capacity, and performance are great.

Migrations are very easy and fast. The solution works well with native products such as VxRail, Unity, or VMware.

What needs improvement?

Products that are not native sometimes cause migration issues.

The solution should include access to Dell Demo Center. Our prior partnership included it and I was able to learn more about products, schedule demos, view functionalities, and run tests in real-time. Without access, I have to wait to get answers to my questions.

More demonstration and training options are needed. It is important to understand the solution before speaking with customers about its functionality and benefits.

Documentation and videos are not very rich and should include the whole interface with detailed information that can be shared with customers.

I have been using the solution for one year.

We don't have enough use cases to determine overall stability. The solution does perform well when scaling.

The solution's scalability is great. Customers view this as an advantage because they can roll out in stages.

The company previously used Dell Demo Center.

In my role as presales engineer, I implement products for a demo environment. I have knowledge of HPE 3PAR and NetApp but have worked almost exclusively with Dell products for twelve years.

The setup is advertised as plug-and-play but it is not quite that easy.

We installed the solution in-house for our demo environment.

The price is high compared to the Tunisian market. The solution is T-level but is not priced that way. Customers want the option to scale in or out while managing costs.

We are using PowerStore 1000 but that is already secondary level since 1200T and 1200X have been released.

The price is more exciting when you consider the solution's scalability and performance.

We were already with Dell so we knew the solution would easily manage our migrations.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Storage Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Great support and great for smaller businesses but needs more maturity
  • "The support is very good."
  • "It needs more mature code."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a POC. We have Extreme IOs that we're looking to replace, and this was brought in as a potential replacement for them.

How has it helped my organization?

For our scenario, it doesn't really fit the bill for where we're trying to go. The unit's fine. Unfortunately, it's a relatively greenfield type of product and we're looking for something with a little more robustness that's been in the field more. PowerMax works great, of course, and that's probably what we're going to go to instead. We just decided Power Store was just not going to fit the bill for what we needed. We needed something with a higher tier in the end.

What is most valuable?

The support is very good.

For smaller shops, the solution is useful.

What needs improvement?

We felt like this was just kind of a mix of Extreme IO and Unity. We weren't happy with Unity, which is why we weren't going to use Extreme IO. It seems like they just kind of merged two products and made this solution and while I'm sure it's great for smaller shops, we are not a small shop.

It needs more mature code.

The VASA plugins for ESX could be enhanced. My understanding is that that is in the roadmap.

I've using the solution for about a year.

I'd rate the stability at a three or four out of ten. It could be more stable.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a six for scalability.

We've been quite happy with support. they are very good.

We're trying out PowerMax, and will likely move in that direction instead of sticking with this product.

We have not witnessed any kind of ROI while using the solution.

The pricing could be better. I'd rate it four out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

For new users, I would heavily suggest they evaluate their environment with real-world loads, not synthetic loads, when considering the solution.

I'd rate the product five out of ten.

Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Mid-range data storage solution used as a lab to showcase new technology
  • "This solution is very useful to us as we use it internally for all of the services that we need. We use it as a lab and we showcase new technology to the customers and how it can help them going forward."
  • "I do not like having to use VPLEX for synchronous replication, as opposed to having the store software built-in."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for VM and some AI storage. It's mostly an internal use server. We use it for the lab, and customers can access it. We use iSCSI on it.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is very useful to us as we use it internally for all of the services that we need. We use it as a lab and we showcase new technology to the customers and how it can help them going forward.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very easy to use and easy to install. Everything essentially comes with it. All of the software is there for us.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

We use the 500T model which is not scalable but there are other options that offer scalability from Dell.

The technical support for this solution is really good. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward. We did all our prerequisites before the Dell representative came on-site to help finish it off. It is a plug-and-play setup. I was the only person involved in setup and deployment. I made sure that all the information needed was provided to Dell. The only maintenance that has been needed so far is some software upgrades.

We implemented this solution with help from Dell.

The licensing for this solution is good and is in the mid-range tier. It matches the old UDXT platform.

What other advice do I have?

PowerScale does everything you need it to do. That said, the advice I have is to determine what you need it for upfront because there are some decisions you have to make upfront and if you don't make them then, you'll have to restart later on.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Dell PowerStore Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: January 2023