IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
SUDIPTABISWAS - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager - Information Technology at Emami Ltd
I've found the malware protection feature valuable
  • "I have found the malware protection feature valuable. It is helpful and deliverable and is able to protect my entire organization from getting compromised. It also prevents us from visiting any malicious sites which are not visible to the users."
  • "It could be improved by having a local data center and caching, which can provide protection support. I would like to be able to channel my intel and my network traffic to their clouds, and this feature is not available. Advanced protection or any malware file support, which might be required, is not available."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control how the end users can access our data center services and internet services, which gives us an inner view of the user behavior and how they are doing, and if any malicious activity is going on, knowingly, unknowingly, or both.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization's systems have not been hampered, thereby improving the security of the end users.

What is most valuable?

I have found the malware protection feature valuable. It is helpful and deliverable and is able to protect my entire organization from getting compromised. It also prevents us from visiting any malicious sites which are not visible to the users.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved by having a local data center and caching, which can provide protection support. I would like to be able to channel my intel and my network traffic to their clouds, and this feature is not available. Advanced protection or any malware file support, which might be required, is not available.
Cisco Umbrella
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Cisco Umbrella for four months.

My impression is that it is stable.

My experience with technical support has been good.

The setup was straightforward and was easy to implement.

Our internal team and a partner both worked together to deploy Cisco Umbrella, and it did not take more than two weeks.

Pricing depends on the automation requirements of the organization.

What other advice do I have?

First, understand the requirements and what you are looking for. Second, read the product literature and perform a Poc of that product. You will then be able to determine whether Cisco Umbrella is a good match.

Network Consultant at a security firm with 51-200 employees
One of the easiest ways to avoid phishing attacks
  • "Cisco Umbrella is a totally different solution. They are the first to come up with this idea of security. It's a totally new concept of security for everybody, for every time, real time, perfectionism."
  • "I would like them to make some videos, practical videos, the kind with steps that people can use to learn and deploy"

What is our primary use case?

We have small, medium and enterprise customers.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella is a totally different solution. They are the first to come up with this idea of security. It's a totally new concept of security for everybody, for every time, real time, perfectionism. The browsing is great compared to other products. You will be protected by Cisco rather than other security solutions where you must first be rerouted and then they will start working on the domain rather than this. This couldn't be compared to any other solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to make some videos, practical videos, the kind with steps that people can use to learn and deploy.

You could say maybe two years or three years that we have been working with Cisco Umbrella.

Cisco Umbrella is very stable.

Cisco Umbrella is very scalable.

Cisco technical support is always fine.

A couple of clicks that we have had it up and running. Cisco requires more documentation regarding to the basic configurations. That is what I can say. I don't think I'm expecting it from Cisco's side.

You could say the price is a little bit high.

What other advice do I have?

If you start to talk about it, it's a really interesting new kind of security product rather than other places before it. There is a place to come on to find a solution. So this is one of the easiest ways to avoid phishing attacks. This is one of the strong products. I would rate Cisco Umbrella at a nine on a scale of ten.

Cisco Umbrella
June 2022
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.
General Manager at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Good web filtering features, stable, and scalable, but the security could be improved
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are the Web Filtering and the APT."
  • "If the security issues are taken care of it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella in our clients' companies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the Web Filtering and the APT. The APT is something that I find to be very good in Cisco.

What needs improvement?

The detection of wireless attacks or targeted attacks reports many false rates. This is an area that needs some improvement.

It should be more specific. This can help the customers to know the exact incident details.

The intel logs and the incident proactive security incidents for targeted attacks are also something that needs to be improved.

If the security issues are taken care of it would be better.

I have been working with Cisco Umbrella for two years.

This solution is stable. There are no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution.

I am not managing this area. I have not contacted technical support.

We have worked with Forcepoint and vScaler.

I would recommend vScaler. On the Cloud front, the product is quite stable, and it is easy to manage.

vScaler and Cisco Umbrella are comparable.

I was not a part of the installation and deployment.

I have not received any complaints, it appears that it was seamless.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

The web filtering works well. On the endpoint, the implementation should be properly planned, meticulously planned, to avoid missing any configuration that could cause major issues.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a seven out of ten.

Sean Cottman - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Enterprise Architect at Expanded Reality
Great security and access control features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide Dorel filtering and security for our WiFi environment. I'm the chief enterprise architect and we are customers of Cisco Umbrella.

What is most valuable?

The security and access control features are the most valuable for us.

What needs improvement?

Improvements could be made with the user interface, it could be a little smoother and more intuitive.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

I have scaled it in other companies and it scales very well. It's got a UV, it's got a decent user interface so once you go to Cisco training, they offer it when you buy the product so that if you are a small business looking for something like Umbrella, you can set it and forget it and it works. You can also tie it into your WiFi solution.

Tech support at Cisco is great. Not just for this project. I've been working with Cisco equipment and Cisco tech for 25 years now and I've never had a problem with them.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward. We had an implementation strategy and it wasn't particularly difficult.

What other advice do I have?

In general, Umbrella is a competitive solution for small or large enterprise. It's never the cheapest, but it's always in the competition, at least in my experience. I would recommend the solution, there's no reason not to go there, depending on your specific situation, of course.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Nestor Raul Quintana Martinez - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultor en Seguridad de la Información at ISS
Fast and easy to setup with a nice DNS-Layer of security
  • "Cisco Umbrella is such a solution and can be implemented very fast and easy. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that are going to use in Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service."
  • "There are cheaper solutions in the market"

What is our primary use case?

The Cisco Umbrella solution offers protection to everyone that will be connected to the internet because Umbrella provides a DNS-layer of security. When someone connects to the internet or they set up the DNS service, that person will use the Umbrella service and the extra layer of Umbrella. All their traits are to be located before they get to the device that the person is using to connect to the internet.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella can be implemented very fast and easily. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that is going to use Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service.

Cisco Umbrella is such a solution and can be implemented very fast and easily. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that is going to use in Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service.

There are cheaper solutions in the market, but when we say that we work with Cisco, usually we must handle the security architecture of Cisco more than a single product, so we can be successful in selling the security solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Umbrella at an eight on a scale of ten. I rate it at an eight because there must be something to improve in Umbrella.

Spider Solutions CTO at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Affordable, easy to use, with good visibility
  • "It offers good visibility for the Administrator. The administrator has full visibility of what is blocked or has the knowledge of where users go when they are surfing the internet."
  • "I would like to see more integrability with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella for protecting the web surfing channel.

When users are accessing the internet, mainly for web surfing,  Umbrella will protect the access to the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

It's very Robust.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integrability with other products.

If I could take this information and integrate it with other products, it would be beneficial.

We have been using Cisco Umbrella for two years.

We are using the latest version.

We have no issues with the stability of the Cisco Umbrella.

Cisco Umbrella is a scalable product.

We have 100 users in our organization who are using this solution.

Technical support is fine.

For us, the installation was very easy.

We had the option of using the on-premises device, which would give you better visibility, but we didn't use it. This choice made the installation very easy.

The licensing fee is paid on a yearly basis.

The price is okay. I don't have any issues with the price of the Cisco Umbrella.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella an eight out of ten.

MD.SIHAB TALUKDAR - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Stable, integrates well, and is easy to install
  • "What we like most is security and how easy it is to integrate with other appliances."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the integration of VDI NSX with Cisco Umbrella."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for DNS security that is integrated with Active Directory. We are also using public DNS connectivity for the filtering of underlying threats.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The different levels of security, such as backend security and internet security, need improvement.

We have been using the entire Cisco Solution for three years.

In the two years that I have been using this product, it has been stable. We have not had problems.

It's a scalable solution.

My experience with technical support is that when you open a case, you get better support. I ordered a part and was told that it was not available. When I opened a case, it was better.

In addition to Cisco Umbrella, we are using Cisco Firepower.

We use the entire Cisco solution that includes Cisco Umbrella, Cisco AMP for Endpoint, and Cisco Firepower.

The initial setup is easy. It took a day to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

We use the entire Cisco solution and we are happy with the product integration.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Solutions Pvt at iDesign Data Solutions Pvt.Ltd.
Analyzes the domain security and helps us implement the securest policy
  • "It analyzes the domain security helps us implement the securest policy."
  • "I would like to see integration with SecurNX in the future."

What is most valuable?

I think Umbrella is good enough as of now. It has the security of domains. It analyzes the domain security and helps us implement the securest policy. This feature is presently not being provided with other technologies. It's a multi-tenant solution. Multi-tenancy MSSP packages, they're all ready. As well as any cost amounting deployment security coverages with DNS and intelligence policy of production and protocols.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with SecurNX in the future.

We have contacted Cisco technical support a number of times for Cisco They are two hundred percent. They are very efficient. Any kind of support you can stay with Cisco. We don't have any issues with technical support.

The initial setup is traightforward. There is no complexity in the setup. The setup took minutes only.

Setup and maintenance are done by our own team.

It is not a very expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Umbrella is a very good product as of now as there is no competition. It is an excellent product. It is, actually, a must for our organization. It is not a very expensive product. I would rate Cisco Umbrella at a ten on a scale of ten.

Download our free Cisco Umbrella Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022