Somnath-Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect and LowCode Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Contains valuable features like Appian Process Mining, Appian Portals, and Appian RPA
  • "Recently, we added Appian Process Mining, Appian Portals, and now Appian RPA."
  • "One room for improvement is the ease of UI UX development, like in OutSystems and Mendix."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are medium and enterprise companies.

What is most valuable?

Recently, we added Appian Process Mining, Appian Portals, and now Appian RPA.

What needs improvement?

There have been a lot of improvements, and Appian is now claiming to be a low-code platform with other market leaders, like OutSystems and Mendix.

One room for improvement is the ease of UI UX development, like in OutSystems and Mendix. I'd like to see Appian develop some kind of interface in their platform where the wireframes can be developed.

If Appian could have a partnership with leading platforms like Salesforce or Oracle, I think that would be beneficial for them.

I would also like to see Appian develop an interface to speed up development for business analysts. That sort of an interface is lagging in Appian right now.

I'm a solution architect and have been dealing with Appian for 10 years.

Appian
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Appian is stable.

It's scalable.

Technical support is very good. As a partner, we receive very good support from Appian.

I have previously worked with IBM BPM, OutSystems, Mendix, Unqork, Quickbase, and Pega.

Initial setup was fine. It was user friendly. Appian has the Appian Cloud, so development is fairly easy on the cloud platform.

The cost is a bit higher than other low-code competitors, OutSystems and Mendix. The price needs to be more competitive.

With solutions like OutSystems and Mendix, you can implement headless commerce. For a B2C mobile app, Mendix is pretty good. For customers that have SAP, they have Mendix because it has been acquired by Siemens, and Siemens and SAP have a very good handshake. If they want to implement a low-code platform, they're going with Mendix.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

VP Business Development North America at Geko
Open-source, simple to set up, and offers faster testing on multiple devices
  • "It's a stable product."
  • "We'd like improved functionality for testing new devices."

What is most valuable?

Using this solution allows us to have faster testing on multiple devices.

The solution is simple to set up.

It's a stable product.

The product is open-source.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to have more features. If you compare it to, for example, Katalon, Katalon had more features.

We'd like improved functionality for testing new devices. For example, the last Apple phone is always a pain. The CEO of the bank has it, however, he wants the application running there. The testing of the latest models needs to be possible.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

It's my understanding that the solution is stable. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive.

We find the product simple and straightforward to set up. It's for a mobile application for bank solutions and mobile banking.

We are using the open-source version. We only invested in a couple of tests. However, we are using the open-source version which doesn't cost anything.

We also compared the solution to Katalon, and Katalon had a few better features than Appium. I cannot name each specific feature, however, I know that Katalon had some features that made it even faster.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a partnership with Appian.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd rate the product nine out of ten. We are quite happy with its capabilities.

Appian
November 2022
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Publishing Solutions at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Technical support is excellent, but it is quite expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for some exam results, and related material, as well as some publishing solution material.

What is most valuable?

The workflow designer is the most valuable feature.

It's pretty good as it stands at the moment.

What needs improvement?

In terms of usability, there is a learning curve.

Licensing fees could be reduced.

I have been working with Appian for a year.

Appian is a stable solution.

Appian is scalable.

In our company, we have approximately 100 users.

Appian's use may be expanded in the future. It's a bit of a niche on the exam side right now.

According to my understanding, the technical support team is quite impressive.

It's fine; there's no need to improve technical support.

We are also working with Salesforce.

The initial setup is fine once you get your head around it, but there is a steep learning curve.

We have developers to maintain this solution.

We were able to complete the installation ourselves.

The price could always be better.

The full user license is quite expensive. It's cheap if all you want them to do is look at things, but if more people use an Appian app to update their information, it becomes more expensive.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

You must consider what your use cases will be and ensure that there is a fit, because it is not a cheap option, you must ensure that you get a good return on investment.

I would rate Appian a seven out of ten.

Naveen Dundi - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Design Expert - BPM at Novartis Pharmaceuticals
Amazing support, stable, and regular feature updates and improvements
  • "The solution's most valuable features are the regular periodic and quarterly updates, they are very useful updates. They keep improving the solution more often, and that helps the platform or code always be up to date with the latest features."
  • "The solution could improve by being more responsive when dealing with large quantities of data. Additionally, they can make the decision or rules engine better. It cannot handle too many rules or too many decisions at once."

What is our primary use case?

Appian can be used to helps organizations build applications and workflows.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features are the regular periodic and quarterly updates, they are very useful updates. They keep improving the solution more often, and that helps the platform or code always be up to date with the latest features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more responsive when dealing with large quantities of data. Additionally, they can make the decision or rules engine better. It cannot handle too many rules or too many decisions at once.

I have been using Appian for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

The technical support is amazing. They have high availability when attending to tickets. The extent to which they go to support you is amazing. They go down deep into the issue you are facing and get you to the right expertise. You can access support through forums and the telephone which they respond quickly with details on a solution.

The standalone and distributed environment installations are straightforward. There are clear instructions, documentation, and support available. However, the installation into a distributed environment can be more challenging.

I have had assistance from Appian support for the implementations.

The license is a bit expensive and the pricing model is sometimes confusing for new users or business users. It is difficult for them to know what volume of usage they will have to be able to purchase the best-suited license at the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Appian an eight out of ten.

Paul Parisi - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Architect at Mobiliser
Fast to build simple to medium complexity solutions
  • "Form building capabilities and well thought out process modelling are key points to this product."
  • "Authoring tool is slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built."

What is our primary use case?

Process Automation and Forms Digitisation, implementation of organisational wide processes rather than use of COTS.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian was not selected by any of the organisations I've worked with to date for production use.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Support for complex models really needs significant improvement

Flexibility in the architecture is not there

Management or reusable assets is extremely limited and poorly designed

Business rules are not aligned to industry best practices

Authoring tool slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built

Integration to project SDLC (such as testing methods, build systems etc needs work)

Trial/evaluations only.

This product is targeted to mid size companies and not highly scalable complex processes.

Average, although a small responsive team Appian has been fast growing stretching their ability to service customer needs.

Reasonable, stronger than say IBM or Oracle technical support but it is still critical to engage in a full POC activity with this product to ensure it fits your needs before proceeding with an implementation. The closed nature of the platform means there is limited to no help outside of that technical support team which is already stretched based on the ever increasing customer base.

What other advice do I have?

Compare this product closely to open source options, IBM and Pega. For simple solutions using simple models Appian may be sufficient and would provide better ROI than investing in building a team to support a more complex tool but for complex models I'd look for a stronger tool-set.

it_user427839 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user427839User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

I am sure this comparison between Appian and Pega is going to be extremely beneficial for me to do evaluation.

SajeevNair - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief technology officer at Conneqt Digital
Allows end-to-end process workflows with minimum turnaround
  • "Appian's most valuable feature is that we can create end-to-end process workflows with minimum turnaround."
  • "Appian could be improved by making it a strict, no-code platform with free-built process packs."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Appian for end-to-end process automation.

How has it helped my organization?

We use appian for IT services implementations of our esteemed clientele in CX transformation, process automation ,EX transformation and app modernization areas

What is most valuable?

Appian's most valuable feature is that we can create end-to-end process cloud ntive  workflows with minimum turnaround.

What needs improvement?

Appian could be be further improved by making it a strict, no-code platform with in-built process packs.

I've been using Appian for six years.

Appian is stable.

Appian is scalable.

Appian's technical support could improve, especially their response turnaround.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

used multiple options. Since i represent  product agnostic  IT services organization, cant comment furthur on this

The initial setup was relatively straightforward, and deployment took around an hour.

NA

first year itself break even happened.

What other advice do I have?

Anybody thinking of implementing Appian should have an enterprise-wide roadmap. If you're doing an enterprise-wide digital transformation, Appian is worthwhile, but not for just one or two use cases because the license costs are higher. I would rate Appian as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Pankaj  Khera - PeerSpot reviewer
Delivery Leader - Digital Transformation at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It's flexible so you can reuse it for a variety of use cases
  • "Appian helps you do a lot of things. It's easy to configure and build an application platform, and it offers a lot of features that you find in an RPA solution. It's flexible so you can reuse it for a variety of use cases."
  • "While Appian is generally flexible, it's rigid in some ways. It takes longer to do something that isn't available out of the box."

What is our primary use case?

Appian is primarily used for building workflows and low code applications.

What is most valuable?

Appian helps you do a lot of things. It's easy to configure and build an application platform, and it offers a lot of features. It's flexible so you can reuse it for a variety of use cases.

What needs improvement?

While Appian is generally flexible, it's rigid in some ways, doesn't allow you lot of options to cutomize. It takes longer to do something that isn't available out of the box.

I've been using Appian for a couple of years.

Appian is stable.

Appian is scalable. We have a few more ongoing deployments, so the number of users will definitely go up.

There can be some improvement in support, start giving customer more importance than process

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The cloud version is managed by Appian, so it doesn't take a lot of time.

The cost of Appian varies depending on the kind of license, and there are no additional costs that I'm aware of.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Appian eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Advisor in Business Transformation Programs at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Flexible adaptation, stable and trusted solution

What is our primary use case?

We used this solution for the digitalization of all our legal processes. It has very flexible adaptation and the ability to save and automate processes. In addition, it is easy to change the user interface and improve it, make reports, and obtain information copies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is trustability. The preparation, reports, information, and data model are also valuable.

What needs improvement?

The ability of the interface to load automatic data is not great.

We've used Appian in the last year.

It is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution, and we have about 30 to 40 people using it in our company.

I rate the technical support a ten out of ten. They are very good.

The setup was not difficult. It requires a technical profile, but it's a low-cost application.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. I would recommend taking the tutorials and courses. There is a lot of material available to learn how to use and take maximum advantage of the application.

Download our free Appian Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022