Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Manager Software Projects at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good interface with easy integration capabilities and a helpful mobile app
  • "The product has a very good mobile app."
  • "We have clients that want to use Office 365, Microsoft Analytics, and Power Apps. Appian just isn't the same as using something specifically designed to cater to the Microsoft Suite."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for office automation purposes.

What is most valuable?

The Sites features are very nice. We use it extensively.

We have Tempo reports and we enjoy that it has Tempo functionality.

The interface is very good. Our clients really seem to like that.

The product has a very good mobile app.

Overall, the features of the product are very helpful.

It's a solution that doesn't really need a lot of coding, if at all. It's very drag-and-drop. That's what makes it so easy to use.

The product offers a lot of good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution used to be a bit more difficult to use, but we've added Tempo and now everything is much easier. We can do things very quickly.

I've been using the solution for about 15 years or so. It's been well over a decade.

Appian
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

As a person that's more in development, I've never tested the stability or noted any weakness in its reliability.

I'm more on the development side of things and therefore haven't really been exposed to the scalability aspect of the solution. I don't know if it's possible or not.

Currently, we don't have much of a need for technical support. I personally have never been in touch with them. I can't speak to their knowledgeability or responsiveness.

I don't deal with the financial aspect of the solution. I'm not sure how much it costs or if it is expensive or affordable.

I want to migrate to Microsoft PowerApps. I'm actually looking for the feasibility of migrating the existing Appian objects into PowerApps.

What other advice do I have?

We are Appian integration partners.

We have multiple clients using Appian, although some want to move over to Microsoft.

I would recommend the solution. It's quite easy to use, and the drag-and-drop functionality is great. For example, we have database records, and therefore we can easily pull the data from the database and connect and run the process. It's very easy when it's compared to previous versions. One thing to note, however, is that we do have a lot of memory. The memory has to be maintained and managed properly, otherwise, the system performance will come down.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. There really is nothing like it on the market right now.

Advanced App Engineering Sr Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Used to automate processes that were previously done manually
  • "I find the BPM the most valuable feature."
  • "Appian could include other applications that we could reuse for other customers, CRM for example."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian to automate processes that we are currently doing manually. We are working on an agile project. We have 500 people using this solution, most of which are operational.

This particular project started with four cases, or four processes. Next year we plan on doubling this and implementing eight more cases.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to Appian, when we were handling a particular process manually, it took 40 days to resolve. After Appian was implemented, it took only seven days. The improvement in time is amazing.

What is most valuable?

I find the BPM the most valuable feature. It is easy to develop as it is a local solution. Appian is quick to understand and develop.

What needs improvement?

Appian could include other applications that we could reuse for other customers, CRM for example. This would make implementation quicker.

I have been using Appian for three years.

We had some concerns with the stability of Appian when we had a lot of cases. During normal operation it is a stable solution.

Scalability depends on how much you want to embrace the capacity of Appian. If you have a lot of cases, 150,000 for example, the stability will not be good because the memory required is so heavy that the RAM that you need is backed in. If you pass a certain number of cases, and the processes are complex, the situation is not suitable for Appian.

I have had no concerns with customer service.

The initial setup of Appian was straightforward. We have an architect on our team who did the deployment. The deployment depends on the environment. For us, configuration took a day and to deploy no more than an hour.

We use one person, the architect, to maintain the program.

The ROI has been good. Profits increased because of this solution, this is why we are going to implement eight more cases next year.

The cost can be improved, however it is not too high for the customers here in Spain.

What other advice do I have?

My advice before starting to implement this solution you need to consider what you want to do in Appian because everything is not possible. Sometimes when you think BPM process, you think that the interface application is the same, but it's not.

I would rate Appian an 8 out of 10.

Other
Appian
September 2022
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HimanshuTejwani - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The UI and its performance are very nice
  • "In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement."
  • "It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the latest version. We are a low-code platform. Using this product we can easily deploy a process. It will easily create a business process in the minimum time and the minimum effort. It's easy to manage the Business Process Management (BPM) tool. We are Appian partners.

How has it helped my organization?

I cannot see any drawback in this actually. It's a market leader in BPM tools right now, Appian. Its UI and performance are very nice.

What is most valuable?

In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It is very expensive. It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved.

We have been using Appian for the last three years. We use it on the cloud and on-premise. We have over 100 users using this tool.

It is a stable product.

It's highly scalable and highly secure. We can also create distributed environments.

The support is great. So actually I'm working as an Appian system administrator. We provide support to our clients.

No, it's not that easy to install, it's a bit difficult to install. But it's a very powerful tool because this product it's a combination of multiple technologies. So that's why.  Implementation is easy in the front end, but when we install it, it's not that straightforward. It takes about 45 minutes to one hour to install. I implemented it myself.

I implemented Appian in-house.

There are two ways to buy the Appian. For the on-premises you have to buy the license; or on the cloud, you have to pay per user. It's an enterprise tool and can be used by enterprises only. So it's a very expensive tool.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone has to work on a BPM, then it's the best tool, and it's currently the market leader in terms of BPM in our country. In the BPM category, I will rate 10 out of 10 for this product.

Other
Acquisitions Leader at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with real-time data on all connected systems
  • "It provides us with real-time data on all connected systems in terms of how they're integrated with each other and how they are performing in a workflow manner."
  • "The graphical user interface could be easier to use. It should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide us with real-time data on all connected systems — for a continuous process workflow.

Within our company, there are roughly 45 people using this solution — mostly developers. We have two admins that handle all maintenance-related issues.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian has enabled us tо аutоmаtе busіnеss рrосеssеs much faster sо thаt оur usеrs саn rерlісаtе thеm аnd use them on a daily basis to improve their productivity.

What is most valuable?

The most important and the most notable feature is that it provides us with real-time data on all connected systems in terms of how they're integrated with each other and how they are performing in a workflow manner.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface could be easier to use. It should be simplified. When we're dealing with a large number of complex applications, the user interface is not the best. There could be a simpler design especially when it comes to providing a view on handling large users/user groups.

I have been using Appian for two years.

This solution is very stable and robust. The updates definitely work. I've never had to roll back an update.

It works very well actually across systems. It can work across multiple complex systems, as well. There's no problem when it comes to scaling up and scaling out. Still, the interconnections, in terms of provisions of real-time data, can be a little clunky as the current graphical user interface has some issues.

The initial setup was fairly simple and straightforward. It's pretty much plug-and-play.

Deployment time depends on the environment and the use case. It can take anywhere from two weeks to six weeks.

When it comes to connecting multiple systems, Appian fares much better compared to Pega.

What other advice do I have?

First, you have to understand the business logic behind all of your systems before you start developing and interconnecting the systems, and the process flows across the systems. That's the best advice I have.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

In terms of the traffic, the user interface should be improved so that it provides real-time data for complex connections between systems. If that is improved, I would give this solution a higher rating. Otherwise, it's a very stable and very robust product.

Practice Head at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, high level support, and good performance
  • "Appian's most valuable features are the quick time it takes to develop for the market. It's easy and faster than other BPM solutions."

What is our primary use case?

They are different zones because we have customers spread across various industries. It's spread across BFSI, manufacturing, and retail. The use cases are multifold. Appian is a solution more for finding solutions within the businesses, which are industry-specific, and business-specific. If it is retail, then we use Appian for onboarding solutions, customer onboarding, case management, and multiple.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Appian for more than 10 years.

I have found Appian to be stable.

Appian is a scalable solution.

We have premium support from Appian.

I rate the support of Appian a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of Appian is straightforward.

The number of people needed for the implementation depends upon the use case, the business area, type of customer, and type of engagement. It varies from a minimum of three to a ten-member team depending on the complexity of the project.

Appian has different models of licenses, such as enterprise-wide or user base. The price is less expensive when compared to other solutions and the various models are an advantage.

More flexibility in the licensing model is still needed because initially there were customers who are looking at only one or two use cases of business areas, but now the business areas are changing and there is a larger scope. One license model may not fit everyone. They need to be a little more flexible on the licensing model.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others there are multiple solutions in the market, low code solutions, BPM solutions, and case-finding solutions. There are multiple factors that make a good solution, such as ease to use, configuration, faster time to deploy, development and deploy scalability, and manageability. These are all factors that I would consider when purchasing a solution.

I rate Appian an eight out of ten.

VijayS1 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of digital transformation at Maantic
    Easy to install and setup and has accessible process orchestration
    • "Appian is easy to install and set up, and it does not come out with your audit. It has accessible process orchestration and process management. With Appian, the time to market is much faster."
    • "I would like to see more features for enterprises. They would also benefit from adding documentation and training on their site."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization uses Appian for content management for our documentation. We are also using the solution for endpoint authentication in our clinic for clinical trials. In terms of banking, we use Appian for contract and access management.

Over the past 13 years, we have implemented Appian for 53 customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are anticipating a few improvements from Appian. The product competes well with peer platforms, however, when you compare past that scale, there is room for improvement.

I have been working with Appian for 13 years.

Appian is stable because it is on the cloud and it has options, actions, and latency.

The solution is scalable when compared with the support of the infrastructure. It has proven to be scalable as far as the authentication time has been procured.

Technical support with Appian is good, however there is room for improvement.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward. When compared with other solutions, Appian is much faster. It is easy to install. It is simple to transfer from the cloud, allowing you to get started immediately with the solution.

The process took us two days. If someone were implementing on-premises, it may take longer.

The licensing of Appian is less expensive when compared to other BPMs in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Appian is a good solution if you are going to implement BPM or automation into your organization. It can work on a small scale and scale larger afterward.

I would rate Appian an eight and a half out of ten overall.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Technical Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Features a robust rules engine for building applications
    • "Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine"
    • "I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for business process management.

What is most valuable?

I like how quickly you can build applications. The low code aspect of it is really useful to get things out to market quickly. Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine.

I've been an Appian consultant for three years now.

Appian virtually has a 99.99% uptime rating. It's very stable.

Appian is very scalable. There's a lot of options for bigger enterprises, like high availability. It's enterprise-grade for smaller to mid-sized businesses.

I have used their tech support, honestly, I'd probably give their support a rating of eight out of 10. They work pretty hard to try to figure out what's going on if there's an issue.

I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker.

There's a one-time setup fee. I think they usually set it up for you. For the typical business user, it's straightforward as they don't have to do anything.

The pricing can be a little confusing to customers. Clients sometimes have to lay out their whole set of use cases and get them approved for specific types of licensing— it's on a case-to-case basis. I think that they're very actively working on improving this, but it can be quite difficult to work out the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the pricing concerns, it's a really great platform.

If you're considering using Appian, my advice is to work with people that have experience building solutions with it, because that's going to lead to fewer problems down the line.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Appian a rating of nine. It's a great business management platform.

Private Cloud
    Somnath-Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect and LowCode Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Contains valuable features like Appian Process Mining, Appian Portals, and Appian RPA
    • "Recently, we added Appian Process Mining, Appian Portals, and now Appian RPA."
    • "One room for improvement is the ease of UI UX development, like in OutSystems and Mendix."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are medium and enterprise companies.

What is most valuable?

Recently, we added Appian Process Mining, Appian Portals, and now Appian RPA.

What needs improvement?

There have been a lot of improvements, and Appian is now claiming to be a low-code platform with other market leaders, like OutSystems and Mendix.

One room for improvement is the ease of UI UX development, like in OutSystems and Mendix. I'd like to see Appian develop some kind of interface in their platform where the wireframes can be developed.

If Appian could have a partnership with leading platforms like Salesforce or Oracle, I think that would be beneficial for them.

I would also like to see Appian develop an interface to speed up development for business analysts. That sort of an interface is lagging in Appian right now.

I'm a solution architect and have been dealing with Appian for 10 years.

Appian is stable.

It's scalable.

Technical support is very good. As a partner, we receive very good support from Appian.

I have previously worked with IBM BPM, OutSystems, Mendix, Unqork, Quickbase, and Pega.

Initial setup was fine. It was user friendly. Appian has the Appian Cloud, so development is fairly easy on the cloud platform.

The cost is a bit higher than other low-code competitors, OutSystems and Mendix. The price needs to be more competitive.

With solutions like OutSystems and Mendix, you can implement headless commerce. For a B2C mobile app, Mendix is pretty good. For customers that have SAP, they have Mendix because it has been acquired by Siemens, and Siemens and SAP have a very good handshake. If they want to implement a low-code platform, they're going with Mendix.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Download our free Appian Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022