IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Abubakar AL Seed - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Senior General Manager at Abdul Latif Jameel
Workflow engines work extremely well to bridge the gaps of processes within our core systems
  • "Good workflow engines that bridge the gaps of processes."
  • "Lacks integration with other products."

What is our primary use case?

I work for the largest distributor of Toyota Lexus in the Middle East. My area is related to car motors. I'm an IT senior general manager and we are customers of Appian.

What is most valuable?

The workflow engines are a valuable feature. We use them to bridge the gaps of processes within our core systems that are either too difficult or too costly to develop within the core system. We bridge those gaps using Appian.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to see the employee experience improved, something we can integrate with SharePoint. Right now we're looking at the Power BI which belongs to Microsoft. It has a lot of good features for low-code no-code development kinds of things. I'd like to see the ability of the software itself to integrate with the core systems. It's a gap that Appian hasn't fulfilled.  I'd like to see integration with Microsoft products as an additional feature. Microsoft Team, or something like that. It's not there or if it is, it requires some work to enable easy integration with SharePoint.

I've been using this solution for eight years.
Appian
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability and stability of this solution are good.

I'd say that the technical support is good.

We visited the workflows that are provided within SharePoint but they did not fulfill the kind of things that we were looking for, or the problems that we were trying to solve at that point of time. We were planning to work on specific domains, specific areas, but you cannot make it work for complex things.

The setup is not completely straightforward but not too complex either. The deployment itself wasn't too difficult, but this is something where features evolve and the things within it over time start moving. Adapting to any new feature while continuing to work is not simple. It makes things more complex. There are around 5,000 people using the product and we have five people dealing with maintenance.

The price should be lower. It's not too expensive but I believe the price could be better.

What other advice do I have?

The product needs to be supported by top management for it to work. This is one of the things that we faced at the very beginning. Second, from a technical point of view, you need to have a dedicated team taking care of this from a product management point of view, not necessarily from a technical point of view because that can be outsourced. I recommend not doing the development in-house, rather to outsource it with one or two partners and the corporate team. I recommend going for the full cloud-based solution architecture rather than having part of it inside and part of it outside. If there is no issue with data sharing then I would recommend going for a fully cloud-based solution. It gives an advantage and reduces a lot of management headaches.  I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Director of national processing at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to set up with satisfactory stability and potentially will scale well
  • "The initial setup was seamless. We didn't run into any hardships at all."
  • "I would like to see more complete university tools. For example, with UiPath, I have had a good experience related to a free course in order to provide some users some different levels of knowledge. This extra training helps users not only use the solution but to develop further within the tool."

What is most valuable?

The initial setup was seamless. We didn't run into any hardships at all.

The solution's stability is pretty good.

While we haven't tried to scale yet, we see that there might be potential to do so in the future.

What needs improvement?

We've had some issues in regards to functionality.

We are currently facing some challenges regarding the potential of using more advanced instruction in order to compare items. We'd like to have more modules so that we can understand the solution a bit better.

I would like to see more complete university tools. For example, with UiPath, I have had a good experience related to a free course in order to provide some users some different levels of knowledge. This extra training helps users not only use the solution but to develop further within the tool.

We're currently working with the solution in order to build a report on its usability. The solution is quite new to us.

The stability was satisfactory. We did have some issues regarding the connectivity. For example, in the conference room, there is no connection anywhere. We sometimes lose connection even when we don't have problems with our network. It's very strange. We don't know why this happens.

We believe the scalability will be good. It has a good perspective in order to escalate the durations, however, unfortunately, we haven't been able to test the market to measure the potential for expansion.

We are in the testing phase, however, if we do decide to deploy the product, our plan is to scale from 20 to 300 users in the near future.

This is our first test regarding RPA. We don't have any other previous experience with other solutions.

We found the initial setup to be quite straightforward and very easy. It was not complex in any way. A company shouldn't have issues implementing it.

To completely deploy everything took about a week. It wasn't too long of a process.

We used consultants and our own IT department to handle the implementation.

The licensing will be on a monthly basis. We are estimating that cost to be around $2000 to maybe $3,000 per month. We don't foresee any costs above that.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a relationship with the company.

Currently, we are in the middle of a test pilot. We have about 20 users experimenting with the solution as we speak.

I would recommend the solution to others. However, I would advise them to measure the requirements associated with the complexity of implementation related to how much coding they need, how complex their interactions will be. These variables may be factors when choosing which tool to use.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Appian
July 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager Software Projects at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good interface with easy integration capabilities and a helpful mobile app
  • "The product has a very good mobile app."
  • "We have clients that want to use Office 365, Microsoft Analytics, and Power Apps. Appian just isn't the same as using something specifically designed to cater to the Microsoft Suite."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for office automation purposes.

What is most valuable?

The Sites features are very nice. We use it extensively.

We have Tempo reports and we enjoy that it has Tempo functionality.

The interface is very good. Our clients really seem to like that.

The product has a very good mobile app.

Overall, the features of the product are very helpful.

It's a solution that doesn't really need a lot of coding, if at all. It's very drag-and-drop. That's what makes it so easy to use.

The product offers a lot of good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution used to be a bit more difficult to use, but we've added Tempo and now everything is much easier. We can do things very quickly.

I've been using the solution for about 15 years or so. It's been well over a decade.

As a person that's more in development, I've never tested the stability or noted any weakness in its reliability.

I'm more on the development side of things and therefore haven't really been exposed to the scalability aspect of the solution. I don't know if it's possible or not.

Currently, we don't have much of a need for technical support. I personally have never been in touch with them. I can't speak to their knowledgeability or responsiveness.

I don't deal with the financial aspect of the solution. I'm not sure how much it costs or if it is expensive or affordable.

I want to migrate to Microsoft PowerApps. I'm actually looking for the feasibility of migrating the existing Appian objects into PowerApps.

What other advice do I have?

We are Appian integration partners.

We have multiple clients using Appian, although some want to move over to Microsoft.

I would recommend the solution. It's quite easy to use, and the drag-and-drop functionality is great. For example, we have database records, and therefore we can easily pull the data from the database and connect and run the process. It's very easy when it's compared to previous versions. One thing to note, however, is that we do have a lot of memory. The memory has to be maintained and managed properly, otherwise, the system performance will come down.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. There really is nothing like it on the market right now.

Advanced App Engineering Sr Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Used to automate processes that were previously done manually
  • "I find the BPM the most valuable feature."
  • "Appian could include other applications that we could reuse for other customers, CRM for example."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian to automate processes that we are currently doing manually. We are working on an agile project. We have 500 people using this solution, most of which are operational.

This particular project started with four cases, or four processes. Next year we plan on doubling this and implementing eight more cases.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to Appian, when we were handling a particular process manually, it took 40 days to resolve. After Appian was implemented, it took only seven days. The improvement in time is amazing.

What is most valuable?

I find the BPM the most valuable feature. It is easy to develop as it is a local solution. Appian is quick to understand and develop.

What needs improvement?

Appian could include other applications that we could reuse for other customers, CRM for example. This would make implementation quicker.

I have been using Appian for three years.

We had some concerns with the stability of Appian when we had a lot of cases. During normal operation it is a stable solution.

Scalability depends on how much you want to embrace the capacity of Appian. If you have a lot of cases, 150,000 for example, the stability will not be good because the memory required is so heavy that the RAM that you need is backed in. If you pass a certain number of cases, and the processes are complex, the situation is not suitable for Appian.

I have had no concerns with customer service.

The initial setup of Appian was straightforward. We have an architect on our team who did the deployment. The deployment depends on the environment. For us, configuration took a day and to deploy no more than an hour.

We use one person, the architect, to maintain the program.

The ROI has been good. Profits increased because of this solution, this is why we are going to implement eight more cases next year.

The cost can be improved, however it is not too high for the customers here in Spain.

What other advice do I have?

My advice before starting to implement this solution you need to consider what you want to do in Appian because everything is not possible. Sometimes when you think BPM process, you think that the interface application is the same, but it's not.

I would rate Appian an 8 out of 10.

Other
HimanshuTejwani - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The UI and its performance are very nice
  • "In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement."
  • "It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the latest version. We are a low-code platform. Using this product we can easily deploy a process. It will easily create a business process in the minimum time and the minimum effort. It's easy to manage the Business Process Management (BPM) tool. We are Appian partners.

How has it helped my organization?

I cannot see any drawback in this actually. It's a market leader in BPM tools right now, Appian. Its UI and performance are very nice.

What is most valuable?

In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It is very expensive. It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved.

We have been using Appian for the last three years. We use it on the cloud and on-premise. We have over 100 users using this tool.

It is a stable product.

It's highly scalable and highly secure. We can also create distributed environments.

The support is great. So actually I'm working as an Appian system administrator. We provide support to our clients.

No, it's not that easy to install, it's a bit difficult to install. But it's a very powerful tool because this product it's a combination of multiple technologies. So that's why.  Implementation is easy in the front end, but when we install it, it's not that straightforward. It takes about 45 minutes to one hour to install. I implemented it myself.

I implemented Appian in-house.

There are two ways to buy the Appian. For the on-premises you have to buy the license; or on the cloud, you have to pay per user. It's an enterprise tool and can be used by enterprises only. So it's a very expensive tool.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone has to work on a BPM, then it's the best tool, and it's currently the market leader in terms of BPM in our country. In the BPM category, I will rate 10 out of 10 for this product.

Other
Acquisitions Leader at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with real-time data on all connected systems
  • "It provides us with real-time data on all connected systems in terms of how they're integrated with each other and how they are performing in a workflow manner."
  • "The graphical user interface could be easier to use. It should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide us with real-time data on all connected systems — for a continuous process workflow.

Within our company, there are roughly 45 people using this solution — mostly developers. We have two admins that handle all maintenance-related issues.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian has enabled us tо аutоmаtе busіnеss рrосеssеs much faster sо thаt оur usеrs саn rерlісаtе thеm аnd use them on a daily basis to improve their productivity.

What is most valuable?

The most important and the most notable feature is that it provides us with real-time data on all connected systems in terms of how they're integrated with each other and how they are performing in a workflow manner.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface could be easier to use. It should be simplified. When we're dealing with a large number of complex applications, the user interface is not the best. There could be a simpler design especially when it comes to providing a view on handling large users/user groups.

I have been using Appian for two years.

This solution is very stable and robust. The updates definitely work. I've never had to roll back an update.

It works very well actually across systems. It can work across multiple complex systems, as well. There's no problem when it comes to scaling up and scaling out. Still, the interconnections, in terms of provisions of real-time data, can be a little clunky as the current graphical user interface has some issues.

The initial setup was fairly simple and straightforward. It's pretty much plug-and-play.

Deployment time depends on the environment and the use case. It can take anywhere from two weeks to six weeks.

When it comes to connecting multiple systems, Appian fares much better compared to Pega.

What other advice do I have?

First, you have to understand the business logic behind all of your systems before you start developing and interconnecting the systems, and the process flows across the systems. That's the best advice I have.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

In terms of the traffic, the user interface should be improved so that it provides real-time data for complex connections between systems. If that is improved, I would give this solution a higher rating. Otherwise, it's a very stable and very robust product.

Practice Head at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, high level support, and good performance
  • "Appian's most valuable features are the quick time it takes to develop for the market. It's easy and faster than other BPM solutions."

What is our primary use case?

They are different zones because we have customers spread across various industries. It's spread across BFSI, manufacturing, and retail. The use cases are multifold. Appian is a solution more for finding solutions within the businesses, which are industry-specific, and business-specific. If it is retail, then we use Appian for onboarding solutions, customer onboarding, case management, and multiple.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Appian for more than 10 years.

I have found Appian to be stable.

Appian is a scalable solution.

We have premium support from Appian.

I rate the support of Appian a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of Appian is straightforward.

The number of people needed for the implementation depends upon the use case, the business area, type of customer, and type of engagement. It varies from a minimum of three to a ten-member team depending on the complexity of the project.

Appian has different models of licenses, such as enterprise-wide or user base. The price is less expensive when compared to other solutions and the various models are an advantage.

More flexibility in the licensing model is still needed because initially there were customers who are looking at only one or two use cases of business areas, but now the business areas are changing and there is a larger scope. One license model may not fit everyone. They need to be a little more flexible on the licensing model.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others there are multiple solutions in the market, low code solutions, BPM solutions, and case-finding solutions. There are multiple factors that make a good solution, such as ease to use, configuration, faster time to deploy, development and deploy scalability, and manageability. These are all factors that I would consider when purchasing a solution.

I rate Appian an eight out of ten.

Senior Technical Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Features a robust rules engine for building applications
    • "Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine"
    • "I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for business process management.

What is most valuable?

I like how quickly you can build applications. The low code aspect of it is really useful to get things out to market quickly. Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine.

I've been an Appian consultant for three years now.

Appian virtually has a 99.99% uptime rating. It's very stable.

Appian is very scalable. There's a lot of options for bigger enterprises, like high availability. It's enterprise-grade for smaller to mid-sized businesses.

I have used their tech support, honestly, I'd probably give their support a rating of eight out of 10. They work pretty hard to try to figure out what's going on if there's an issue.

I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker.

There's a one-time setup fee. I think they usually set it up for you. For the typical business user, it's straightforward as they don't have to do anything.

The pricing can be a little confusing to customers. Clients sometimes have to lay out their whole set of use cases and get them approved for specific types of licensing— it's on a case-to-case basis. I think that they're very actively working on improving this, but it can be quite difficult to work out the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the pricing concerns, it's a really great platform.

If you're considering using Appian, my advice is to work with people that have experience building solutions with it, because that's going to lead to fewer problems down the line.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Appian a rating of nine. It's a great business management platform.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Appian Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022