We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Advanced App Engineering Sr Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Used to automate processes that were previously done manually
  • "I find the BPM the most valuable feature."
  • "Appian could include other applications that we could reuse for other customers, CRM for example."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian to automate processes that we are currently doing manually. We are working on an agile project. We have 500 people using this solution, most of which are operational.

This particular project started with four cases, or four processes. Next year we plan on doubling this and implementing eight more cases.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to Appian, when we were handling a particular process manually, it took 40 days to resolve. After Appian was implemented, it took only seven days. The improvement in time is amazing.

What is most valuable?

I find the BPM the most valuable feature. It is easy to develop as it is a local solution. Appian is quick to understand and develop.

What needs improvement?

Appian could include other applications that we could reuse for other customers, CRM for example. This would make implementation quicker.

I have been using Appian for three years.

We had some concerns with the stability of Appian when we had a lot of cases. During normal operation it is a stable solution.

Scalability depends on how much you want to embrace the capacity of Appian. If you have a lot of cases, 150,000 for example, the stability will not be good because the memory required is so heavy that the RAM that you need is backed in. If you pass a certain number of cases, and the processes are complex, the situation is not suitable for Appian.

I have had no concerns with customer service.

The initial setup of Appian was straightforward. We have an architect on our team who did the deployment. The deployment depends on the environment. For us, configuration took a day and to deploy no more than an hour.

We use one person, the architect, to maintain the program.

The ROI has been good. Profits increased because of this solution, this is why we are going to implement eight more cases next year.

The cost can be improved, however it is not too high for the customers here in Spain.

What other advice do I have?

My advice before starting to implement this solution you need to consider what you want to do in Appian because everything is not possible. Sometimes when you think BPM process, you think that the interface application is the same, but it's not.

I would rate Appian an 8 out of 10.

Other
HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The UI and its performance are very nice
  • "In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement."
  • "It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the latest version. We are a low-code platform. Using this product we can easily deploy a process. It will easily create a business process in the minimum time and the minimum effort. It's easy to manage the Business Process Management (BPM) tool. We are Appian partners.

How has it helped my organization?

I cannot see any drawback in this actually. It's a market leader in BPM tools right now, Appian. Its UI and performance are very nice.

What is most valuable?

In terms of interface, it's very good. In terms of infrastructure, it's amazing and already using multiple tools behind the scenes. It's a low-code platform, so it's very easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It is very expensive. It is also not easy to learn. Training tutorials could be improved.

We have been using Appian for the last three years. We use it on the cloud and on-premise. We have over 100 users using this tool.

It is a stable product.

It's highly scalable and highly secure. We can also create distributed environments.

The support is great. So actually I'm working as an Appian system administrator. We provide support to our clients.

No, it's not that easy to install, it's a bit difficult to install. But it's a very powerful tool because this product it's a combination of multiple technologies. So that's why.  Implementation is easy in the front end, but when we install it, it's not that straightforward. It takes about 45 minutes to one hour to install. I implemented it myself.

I implemented Appian in-house.

There are two ways to buy the Appian. For the on-premises you have to buy the license; or on the cloud, you have to pay per user. It's an enterprise tool and can be used by enterprises only. So it's a very expensive tool.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone has to work on a BPM, then it's the best tool, and it's currently the market leader in terms of BPM in our country. In the BPM category, I will rate 10 out of 10 for this product.

Other
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Acquisitions Leader at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with real-time data on all connected systems
  • "It provides us with real-time data on all connected systems in terms of how they're integrated with each other and how they are performing in a workflow manner."
  • "The graphical user interface could be easier to use. It should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide us with real-time data on all connected systems — for a continuous process workflow.

Within our company, there are roughly 45 people using this solution — mostly developers. We have two admins that handle all maintenance-related issues.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian has enabled us tо аutоmаtе busіnеss рrосеssеs much faster sо thаt оur usеrs саn rерlісаtе thеm аnd use them on a daily basis to improve their productivity.

What is most valuable?

The most important and the most notable feature is that it provides us with real-time data on all connected systems in terms of how they're integrated with each other and how they are performing in a workflow manner.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface could be easier to use. It should be simplified. When we're dealing with a large number of complex applications, the user interface is not the best. There could be a simpler design especially when it comes to providing a view on handling large users/user groups.

I have been using Appian for two years.

This solution is very stable and robust. The updates definitely work. I've never had to roll back an update.

It works very well actually across systems. It can work across multiple complex systems, as well. There's no problem when it comes to scaling up and scaling out. Still, the interconnections, in terms of provisions of real-time data, can be a little clunky as the current graphical user interface has some issues.

The initial setup was fairly simple and straightforward. It's pretty much plug-and-play.

Deployment time depends on the environment and the use case. It can take anywhere from two weeks to six weeks.

When it comes to connecting multiple systems, Appian fares much better compared to Pega.

What other advice do I have?

First, you have to understand the business logic behind all of your systems before you start developing and interconnecting the systems, and the process flows across the systems. That's the best advice I have.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

In terms of the traffic, the user interface should be improved so that it provides real-time data for complex connections between systems. If that is improved, I would give this solution a higher rating. Otherwise, it's a very stable and very robust product.

Senior Technical Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Features a robust rules engine for building applications
  • "Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine"
  • "I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for business process management.

What is most valuable?

I like how quickly you can build applications. The low code aspect of it is really useful to get things out to market quickly. Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine.

I've been an Appian consultant for three years now.

Appian virtually has a 99.99% uptime rating. It's very stable.

Appian is very scalable. There's a lot of options for bigger enterprises, like high availability. It's enterprise-grade for smaller to mid-sized businesses.

I have used their tech support, honestly, I'd probably give their support a rating of eight out of 10. They work pretty hard to try to figure out what's going on if there's an issue.

I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker.

There's a one-time setup fee. I think they usually set it up for you. For the typical business user, it's straightforward as they don't have to do anything.

The pricing can be a little confusing to customers. Clients sometimes have to lay out their whole set of use cases and get them approved for specific types of licensing— it's on a case-to-case basis. I think that they're very actively working on improving this, but it can be quite difficult to work out the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the pricing concerns, it's a really great platform.

If you're considering using Appian, my advice is to work with people that have experience building solutions with it, because that's going to lead to fewer problems down the line.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Appian a rating of nine. It's a great business management platform.

Private Cloud
Naveen Dundi
Solution Design Expert - BPM at Novartis Pharmaceuticals
Amazing support, stable, and regular feature updates and improvements
  • "The solution's most valuable features are the regular periodic and quarterly updates, they are very useful updates. They keep improving the solution more often, and that helps the platform or code always be up to date with the latest features."
  • "The solution could improve by being more responsive when dealing with large quantities of data. Additionally, they can make the decision or rules engine better. It cannot handle too many rules or too many decisions at once."

What is our primary use case?

Appian can be used to helps organizations build applications and workflows.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features are the regular periodic and quarterly updates, they are very useful updates. They keep improving the solution more often, and that helps the platform or code always be up to date with the latest features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more responsive when dealing with large quantities of data. Additionally, they can make the decision or rules engine better. It cannot handle too many rules or too many decisions at once.

I have been using Appian for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

The technical support is amazing. They have high availability when attending to tickets. The extent to which they go to support you is amazing. They go down deep into the issue you are facing and get you to the right expertise. You can access support through forums and the telephone which they respond quickly with details on a solution.

The standalone and distributed environment installations are straightforward. There are clear instructions, documentation, and support available. However, the installation into a distributed environment can be more challenging.

I have had assistance from Appian support for the implementations.

The license is a bit expensive and the pricing model is sometimes confusing for new users or business users. It is difficult for them to know what volume of usage they will have to be able to purchase the best-suited license at the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Appian an eight out of ten.

Paul Parisi
Enterprise Architect at Mobiliser
Fast to build simple to medium complexity solutions
  • "Form building capabilities and well thought out process modelling are key points to this product."
  • "Authoring tool is slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built."

What is our primary use case?

Process Automation and Forms Digitisation, implementation of organisational wide processes rather than use of COTS.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian was not selected by any of the organisations I've worked with to date for production use.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Support for complex models really needs significant improvement

Flexibility in the architecture is not there

Management or reusable assets is extremely limited and poorly designed

Business rules are not aligned to industry best practices

Authoring tool slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built

Integration to project SDLC (such as testing methods, build systems etc needs work)

Trial/evaluations only.

This product is targeted to mid size companies and not highly scalable complex processes.

Average, although a small responsive team Appian has been fast growing stretching their ability to service customer needs.

Reasonable, stronger than say IBM or Oracle technical support but it is still critical to engage in a full POC activity with this product to ensure it fits your needs before proceeding with an implementation. The closed nature of the platform means there is limited to no help outside of that technical support team which is already stretched based on the ever increasing customer base.

What other advice do I have?

Compare this product closely to open source options, IBM and Pega. For simple solutions using simple models Appian may be sufficient and would provide better ROI than investing in building a team to support a more complex tool but for complex models I'd look for a stronger tool-set.

CTO at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
The most complete platform of its kind, great for case management and document processing

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for process management, automation, insurance claim processing, those kinds of things. I'm the CTO and a reseller of this product.

What is most valuable?

This is the most complete solution of its kind, dealing with BPM and RPA, AI, case management, and document processing. It's a complete platform which is what makes it so good.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see business rules management included as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see business rules management included as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Appian provides great technical support.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product offers flexible licensing options.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Appian because I've had experience with other solutions and I know this is the best.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Nyamtseren Batdelger
CEO at DigitalWorks
Stable, easy to use, and strong financial industry features.

What is our primary use case?

Appian main focus is on the financial sector, especially banking use cases.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a lot of strong features for the financial industry, it is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve robotic process automation.

I have been using Appian for approximately one month.

The stability of this solution is good.

The scalability of Appian is good.

The installation did not give us any problems.

What is our primary use case?

Appian main focus is on the financial sector, especially banking use cases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve robotic process automation.

I have been using Appian for approximately one month.

The stability of this solution is good.

The scalability of Appian is good.

The installation did not give us any problems.

We have approximately three people that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

The price of this solution is a little high here in Mongolia.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Appian a nine out of ten.

Download our free Appian Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.