We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Ashish Jaiswal
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A cost-saving tool that is stable and has good support
  • "Using AWS is really helpful for saving costs."
  • "There should be seminars and online training sessions available from AWS because a lot of people who are not using it would benefit from having the basic knowledge or basic hands-on experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use several tools that are part of AWS, which are onboarded to our infrastructure.

We have five or six EC2 instances that make up our AppDynamics component of the link. We are using Paperclip for restoring files, and we use other scripts as well. These are tools that we use from day-to-day.

What is most valuable?

Using AWS is really helpful for saving costs. We used to have to budget a lot for hardware costs, but now we have EC2 instances that are based on the requirements. For example, if you want one CPU then the cost is based on that, whereas if you require more, then it is automatically included.

What needs improvement?

There should be seminars and online training sessions available from AWS because a lot of people who are not using it would benefit from having the basic knowledge or basic hands-on experience. If they gain experience with it, then they will be happy to use it in the future.

Training could be in the form of more documentation or training videos. Any increase would make this solution easier to handle.

I have been using Amazon AWS for almost two years.

We use AWS on a daily basis and it is really stable.

We have more than 10,000 users on AWS and we are definitely planning to increase usage. We are the MNP and we have close to one million users in our India location.

Currently, we are introducing our web support and once we need infrastructure to be installed, we will create more instances.

The technical support is really good because whenever we we need help, we just raise a ticket and we get a solution.

I know a little bit about  Azure and GCP, but I am only really familiar with AWS. From our perspective, 60% of users implement AWS.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have the guidelines and documents from AWS, so it is easy for us. AppDynamics is also supporting us for the installation of their components.

The time required for deployment is not long. Creating an EC2 instance only takes between 15 and 20 minutes.

We no longer need a team for the installation. When we first started, they guided us, and now we have the experience that allows us to do it on our own.

What other advice do I have?

AWS and its cloud platform are getting to be well known through social sites and other sources. It is definitely a product that we recommend. We have experience with it and encourage other people to use it as well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Digital Services- Cloud Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
You can quickly build and release applications, but performance is weaker than on-prem solutions
  • "You can build and release applications quickly with AWS instead of waiting for months to get the necessary hardware. That's the real benefit. The time-to-market for developing applications is much shorter."
  • "One problem is that the AWS public cloud doesn't have shared storage capabilities. The second thing is the cloud performance versus on-prem."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to run workload applications, ERP systems, LISAP systems, etc. Everything is on the cloud, including our technical infrastructure for computing, storage, and networking. You can deploy applications like SAP or Oracle or run any website with applications on it.

How has it helped my organization?

You can build and release applications quickly with AWS instead of waiting for months to get the necessary hardware. That's the real benefit. The time-to-market for developing applications is much shorter.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about AWS is its ease of use and agility. You can quickly deploy it, and there are no upfront costs.

What needs improvement?

One problem is that the AWS public cloud doesn't have shared storage capabilities. The second thing is the cloud performance versus on-prem. I also have one suggestion that's solution-based. For example, if I want to deploy a medical solution, I would like to have a medical template, so I don't have to set up the infrastructure from scratch. They should provide everything in a pre-defined custom solution blueprint.

We've been using AWS for four years.

AWS is generally reliable, but we've seen a lot of issues lately, so I would say they have some room for improvement. For example, if the user doesn't configure something correctly, it might fail. Even if AWS is reliable, that doesn't guarantee that all the users will be reliable. They need to make the design foolproof.

AWS is a cloud provider, so the scalability is almost infinite. Our company currently has around 500 users on AWS.

We have enterprise support, so they have different levels. If you have enterprise support, they have obligations they must meet. In our experience, Amazon support is above average. Sometimes we get good support. Sometimes we don't. I would rate it six out of 10.

The AWS initial setup is seamless and straightforward. We set it up ourselves, and we have a 10-person team to manage and maintain the solution. Including design and planning, it took us about three months.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS seven out of 10. My advice is to watch out for the cost. A public cloud means you can use any resource, and there is no upfront cost. That means someone can use an expensive computing solution that might cost them tons of money. No one is holding your hand, so you can use it, but you need to be conscious of the cost before using the solution.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is the backup ability
  • "The most valuable feature is the backup ability. Most people are used to one type of backup solution that they're using, but most of these solutions have features that make it difficult to transfer to the cloud. I know that Veeam now gives people the opportunity to backup some on-premises solutions to the cloud. This feature is something that a lot of people are looking for."
  • "I'm not an expert on the product, but if I had to suggest one improvement, I know a feature that would allow a person to backup his on-premise solution to the cloud directly with one click would be useful. This solution should be agnostic because sometimes a product that was backed up with Veeam is highly compatible with Commvault. I think it would be better if these backup features were agnostic. Viewing a build could also be improved. It's not easy to follow up on your consumption and see how much you're paying and how much you will be paying. Viewing the build could be more clear."

What is our primary use case?

One of the most common use cases is people using the solution for hosting. Many people use it to backup their on-premises solution to the cloud. This is the most common use case I know of.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'm not an expert on the product, but if I had to suggest one improvement, I know a feature that would allow a person to back up his on-premise solution to the cloud directly with one click would be useful. This solution should be agnostic because sometimes a product that was backed up with Veeam is highly compatible with Commvault. I think it would be better if these backup features were agnostic.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for three years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

Two years ago, I was working on proofs of concept and I got in touch with their support. It was okay and they handled it.

The setup process was quite simple.

My company implemented through an in-house team. My company also provides the maintenance for this product.

Amazon AWS is on the cheaper side, as their pricing is more competitive. There are no additional costs besides the license. However, Azure sells Microsoft licenses, so they have an advantage.

I was aware of Google Cloud and Microsoft Cloud, but I chose Amazon because they have better products and more features. At the moment, Amazon is the leader in everything.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend trying Amazon AWS. You have nothing to be afraid of, as long as you're clear that you can handle your build.

This product is suitable for any company, whether small, medium, or large.

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten, just because there's always room for improvement.

Cloud Solution Manager
Useful storage, scalable, and stable
  • "This solution is used as the basic requirement for any virtual machines use cases, the storage is used for each use case."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for many use cases, such as application hosting, virtual desktops, and disaster recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Customers don't need to calculate what their future requirements need to be. They can start using Amazon AWS no matter what the requirements are and if they increase size it can support them. By using the solution they can reduce their infrastructure, which helps them reduce the cost and of their infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Amazon AWS for a year and a half.

The solution is stable. We have global customers on this platform. If you see the past records of Amazon AWS, there has been rarely any downtime or something happening.

Amazon AWS is scalable., there are different tools that help to maintain the scalability of the solution. Many of the tools are free of cost. There is no restriction on how many people can use this solution.

We have 500 customers in the Mumbai region and we plan to increase usage.

There is vendor technical support but it is not required if they are taking our support. The customers can directly purchase their support. Our small customers, are purchasing AWS support and they are pleased with the support.

The initial setup difficulty depends on the customer's environment. If it's a simple single virtual machine, then it's a simple setup. If it's an SAP-type workload on AWS, then it is somewhat complicated.

If it is a small single-server implementation, it will take one day to deploy. Otherwise, from an application perspective, your team needs to handle everything and it could take beyond 15 days to one month.

We have our own team that does the deployment.

The price of the Virtual Desktop service from Amazon AWS could improve, it is more expensive than competitors. The pricing model we are using is pay-as-you-go. You only pay for what you use.

The technical support from Amazon is extra and there are more than 200 services you can use that has a cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for those thinking about the implementation of Amazon AWS is to start using it, do not have fear to use these services. If you know how it works and you receive the right support, it always helps to reduce the cost and headache of IT.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Software Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Great documentation with an excellent community and a reasonable pricing structure
    • "The pricing model is good. It's pay-as-you-go."
    • "It would be ideal if they could provide automatic health reports. That way, I would be able to understand at a glance the state of my services at any given time."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for deploying some applications that use cloud computing.

What is most valuable?

It offers a lot of tools, which we leverage.

At the moment I'm using Lambda service and also AC2 machines - as a platform as a service and infrastructure as a service.

The pricing model is good. It's pay-as-you-go. You only pay for what you use.

The solution offers a lot of very helpful documentation. There's also a great community that surrounds it that is quite helpful if you have questions or want to learn something.

What needs improvement?

Personally, I need to improve myself in terms of the knowledge I have around the product. My goal is to maybe get certified in order to understand it better. It would be helpful if they would be able to provide me with more certification information.

It's a good platform. I don't have any issues with it at the moment.

I've used the solution for three or four years at this point.

The solution is stable. We have many items deployed in AWS and we haven't had any issues. there are no bugs or glitches. It's problem-free.

AWS provides us with a lot of tools for deploying automatically when we are working, for example, in a new feature. We have options for automatic deployments and don't have issues with size.

There's a lot of great documentation and community support. I'm learning a lot and can find any answers I need there.

I'm working with AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Computing right now.

I work with my customer's solutions and I deploy into AWS to provide the end product for my customers. I don't directly deal with AWS implementations themselves.

The pricing is good and it's set up as a pay-as-you-go. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'd highly recommend the solution to other users. It's one of the best cloud options out there right now.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

VP at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Good support, stable, and easy to scale according to our clients' needs
    • "The most valuable feature is scalability, as it is very easy to scale."
    • "It should be easier to monitor the performance and generate analytic information so that we can determine how to provide better support for our clients."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software company and we use Amazon AWS as part of the solutions that we provide to our clients. The primary use case is an internet banking system. It is used in mobile banking, digital internet banking, and corporate banking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is scalability, as it is very easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we are concerned about is the amount of memory because when we deploy the products, we have to make sure that the client has sufficient resources.

It should be easier to monitor the performance and generate analytic information so that we can determine how to provide better support for our clients. I believe that they have a lot of information available, so maybe they can have better analytic reporting.

We have been using Amazon AWS for approximately five years.

We have faced no major issues with AWS. So far, so good, and we plan to continue using it.

Scalability is very good and easy to do.

We have three or four clients using this platform. Most of our clients start with something small, and they are looking for growth. This is one of the reasons that we are using this cloud-based system. It gives them something small to start with, that fits their requirements.

I have seen the email exchange on consulting an issue, and so far, their support is okay.

We did not use another cloud platform prior to AWS.

Installation is not a concern for this product, as it is handled by Amazon.

The only concern is during deployment and integrating with other products. However, there are solutions in place for this and it takes between one and two days to complete.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance, but we also have a consultant to assist us.

This is a subscription-based service and there are licensing fees.

We explored using Microsoft Azure and another cloud, but we did not implement either one.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is definitely a product that I recommend because it's stable. Also, The capabilities and features are better than some of the competitors.

Director, Tools Engineering & Security, Data Platform
    Reliable, easy to scale, easy to set up, and the support is responsive
    • "It scales extremely well."
    • "Price can always be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are essentially infrastructure provisioning for backend services. We also use it for environment automation.

We use it for CIPD. So, this is like AWS Beanstalk. We use it for infrastructure provisioning, auto-scaling some of the container services as well, block storage, such as S3.

What is most valuable?

It's a suite of services. There is no one thing that you can pinpoint and say that this is the most valuable.

AWS definitely works for us.

What needs improvement?

There are some subjective pain points, but we are pretty satisfied.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

We are not exactly using the latest version. We are using what Amazon rolls out.

It's software or infrastructure as a service, so we use what Amazon has.

We don' use the beta products and try to stay away from them. We only use what is generally available.

It's a stable solution. It's definitely reliable, we have run enough critical business services on it.

It scales extremely well. Most things are inbuilt. It is easy to scale vertically and horizontally.

It also functions on a tiering level, and that is based on what kind of customer you are.

Internally, there is some tiering on which they respond to tickets.

Overall the customer service support is pretty comfortable.

They usually respond and resolve tickets fairly quickly.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

They have different pricing models for each suite of services. For example, if you are with EC2; E2 has spot instances and EC2 has on instances. You can pay upfront or you can reserve an instance.

You can pay upfront or you can on an annual basis for certain machines, and you can keep them up which you get quite a competitive discount.

You can take spot instances, as in certain predefined instances, that you can spin up when you need it, but those ten to be expensive because it's ad-hoc.

You can also just go with the normal EC2 instances that are charged at the usual pricing rate.

For us, it's use-case specific and we move between all three pricing options.

Price can always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

As a customer, I would wholeheartedly recommend this solution to others.

From our use cases and standards, most of the things are pretty much covered, so we're happy.

I've been pretty happy with my experience with AWS. I would rate Amazon AWS a solid nine out of ten.

Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Offers many useful features and is easy to use
    • "One of the most valuable features is that Amazon AWS has a lot of data centers and regions where we can position our virtual machines for leverage. Amazon AWS is also easy to use. You can quickly spin up something, use Explorer, building proofs of concept, things like that. Once the proof of concept is built once and we know how things are going to look from a production perspective, we try to move everything to the data centers. These features and the ease of use are the main reasons why we use AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We are essentially using a couple of virtual machines. We also use Amazon's transcoding services that convert video formats. We use it for internal purposes, especially for specific applications that it has.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that Amazon AWS has a lot of data centers and regions where we can position our virtual machines for leverage. Amazon AWS is also easy to use. You can quickly spin up something, use Explorer, building proofs of concept, things like that. Once the proof of concept is built once and we know how things are going to look from a production perspective, we try to move everything to the data centers. These features and the ease of use are the main reasons why we use AWS.

What needs improvement?

There are no additional features I would like to see. All the features we require are already provided and we aren't looking for anything else beyond that.

In general, the only feedback I have is about the startup programs they used to have. Startups would get a particular amount of credits so that people who are just starting their own business could export. This is no longer the case, but it was very good because it helped a lot of people start their businesses. Amazon should consider this again.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is scalable.

I have never needed to contact technical support.

I previously used Azure. I was working for a company that used Azure CSP, but I prefer AWS.

The initial setup is straightforward. I'm technically proficient and did it myself.

I implemented through an in-house team. We're a small, boutique-type company, but we are proficient enough.

In terms of price, there are less expensive options.

We are using open source technology, so there is no licensing.

I looked at Google Cloud also, but I still would prefer AWS. It has automation and scripts that we can leverage. People are familiar with AWS, so it's our top choice for public cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I absolutely recommend Amazon AWS to anyone who wants to start using it.

I would rate Amazon AWS a 10 out of 10. That's the main reason why we're using it.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
      Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.