We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Very good automation, flexible with cloud maturity
  • "Very good automation and very stable."
  • "Customer access to APIs is limited so that logs cannot be checked properly."

What is our primary use case?

AWS is part of our network, we provide services to our internal customers and we have 2,000 plus applications which sit on the VMs and different blade servers. It's a mix, we're using a hybrid environment. I manage the company network and security; we are partners with Amazon AWS.

What is most valuable?

I value the automation and the stability of this product. Whether it is S3, EC2, the LSG, ASG, for us it's all good to implement.

What needs improvement?

AWS cloud has an issue with accessibility to the customer, it's very limited and if there's an internal issue, we won't know about it because they don't expose their APIs to many things. This is a generic cloud problem for all cloud products. It's not just AWS. It's Azure, Google, all of them have the same problem. They will never give you any information, and you can't even check their logs properly. That kind of transparency issue is critical because whether I'm using their infrastructure or not, I should have visibility with regard to what is happening in my network.

I'd like to see compatibility extended to include additional applications which are widely used but not compatible on the public cloud. Without them, you can't build the ecosystems for each and every thing. I realize there are so many applications around and you can't source everything but I'd like to see additional compatibility.

The solution has some limitations because you won't have the space for some of the applications. For example, Google is the only provider with a VMware product line. Some of the applications still need a physical server.

I've been using this solution for six years.

The support is average, just like other cloud providers. It's not so great but it's average. You can't always blame someone, but cloud architecture is like that. Visibility is an issue. They don't offer the latest services and if you don't know, you can just track back to your VMs or the services which you have deployed.

The initial setup was quite complex. You're designing something and have downloaded the infrastructure of cloud providers which is always complex. Once you start using the solution it becomes easy.

It is most cost-effective to go for a long-term license option, that way you get a better deal for the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I think at the cloud maturity level, I would rate AWS first, Azure second and GCP has just started. In 2015/16, AWS had a lot of issues, but now they are coming up with better solutions and better flexibility. That said, the transparency issue is still there.

Azure is good for the Microsoft product line and if you are using that you should go with Azure - they will give you better service. But for third parties, it's the same transparency issue, just like any other cloud provider.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good vehicle to start a small business, it is stable, and it has an easy-to-use dashboard
  • "I like the flexibility of this solution."
  • "I would appreciate more direct support from AWS."

What is our primary use case?

I have my own company, so I am not personally working with it. Rather, my team is working with this solution.

What is most valuable?

My experience with AWS has been good. AWS is a good vehicle to get your business started without too much of an upfront investment.

I like the flexibility of this solution. It's quick ramp up, ramp down, being able to provide the resources at a click of a button.

If you wanted to try a new solution or try it out for a Proof of Concept then provisioning the EC2 and the S3 buckets is very quick.

In addition to that, the sums of scaling operations.

The dashboard is very easy to use.

Its real-time support is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

I would appreciate more direct support from AWS. I have some good personal contacts with AWS and through that, I am able to get some help. But, on a professional level with a small to medium-sized enterprise that needs any direct support from AWS, it is not supported. It is typically a part of the business model. They encourage you to go through one of their Implementation partners.

I have been using Amazon AWS for two and a half years.

The overall stability of the product is good.

We have not used the technical support from AWS, because we are a company without a partnership. We contact their implementation partners for support. We also work closely with our client's implementation partners who have been fairly helpful. They have been able to deliver.

The technical support from AWS has not been very forthcoming. It is very difficult to get.

We also use Lambda functions, such as trolling, multi-threaded, and compute as a service model. That is very interesting.

We liked it very much, and we use it for some of our clients.

Pricing is reasonable, but as your usage goes up, AWS has a provision for businesses, and there's an option of locking it for three years.

I think that they also give discounts. Although, as your scale of operation goes up, I think the price probably becomes too high.

As a startup business, it's very well priced, but if a number of transactions go up, clients have voiced that they are in a situation and feel a type of pressure and desire to move out of AWS.

They feel this way only once the scale of operation goes beyond a critical mass or critical threshold. It becomes a completely managed service beyond a point, and then it no longer remains cost-effective. Our usage goes up as well as the monthly recurring costs.

So the price is something they should definitely look at. They should look at some kind of cost or price optimization, as the scale grows up large, the more the economies of scale keep in. They should try to become more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am very happy in the technicality area.

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Technology Officer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup, but needs better UI
  • "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The user interface (UI) needs improvement. Right now, it's not the best."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a service provider providing services to customers. I'm using AWS as sort of a generalization. There are 62 products offered by Amazon on cloud-related services, which include EC2, includes Silverlight, it includes a whole bunch of different solutions, F3, EBS, so we've got solutions that we have to support for all of it.

What is most valuable?

Glacier is one of the solution's most valuable features.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The user interface (UI) needs improvement. Right now, it's not the best.

The product's authentication method could be better.

The pricing model could have a more competitive edge.

It would be great, in a future release, if the solution offers unified hybrid management, or hybrid cloud management.

I've been using the solution for four years at my current company. Personally, I have about eight years of experience with the product. I've worked with it for quite a long time at this point.

Generally, the solution is pretty stable. That said, when they have an event or an outage, it's pretty severe.

The solution is quite scalable. A company that needs to expand the solution should be able to do so pretty easily.

We have applications that run on AWS. However, in terms of administrators or interface people, that interface with AWS directly, we have probably about 80 users on the product.

I personally have never conversed with technical support. That said, I haven't heard of any complaints about their level of service. From that, I would assume that our organization is largely satisfied with their support offering.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

If you know the patterns for how to set up and host, it's a quick deployment. We normally automate all of our deployments anyway, so the deployment process itself is quick and easy.

The product is an a la carte service. It offers a set of microservices that are associated with it. Therefore, the solution pricing varies quite a bit.

The pricing could be more competitive. If a company is questioning whether it's cheaper than owning a server yourself and running a server yourself, the general answer to the total cost of ownership is yes, it is cheaper. However, if you have to move data around a lot, it will not be cheaper.

We've evaluated other options as we use a variety of other solutions as well. We've evaluated a lot of other companies.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Amazon partner as well as customers of theirs.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend that most small to medium businesses that they use a consultative agency or a managed service provider to help them with the product.

Overall, I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very stable and scalable, but could use more integration
  • "One of the most valuable things about it, besides the stability, is that you can forget about infrastructure because you're just doing it on AWS. I remember the times before AWS and other cloud solutions existed, and it was a huge pain to get real hardware, put it inside, configure everything, report everything, and do a scale. It was very, very difficult compared to how it is now. Not even just AWS, but what all these cloud providers are doing, I would say, is a huge advancement in technology."
  • "AWS could be improved with more integration, but I can see that they're developing these features and working very hard on their platform."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of AWS, for most projects, is for hosting on AWS and developing locally, as well as testing some AWS environments. We are mostly using this platform from a developer point of view. AWS is our cloud platform by choice.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable things about it, besides the stability, is that you can forget about infrastructure because you're just doing it on AWS. I remember the times before AWS and other cloud solutions existed, and it was a huge pain to get real hardware, put it inside, configure everything, report everything, and do a scale. It was very, very difficult compared to how it is now. Not even just AWS, but what all these cloud providers are doing, I would say, is a huge advancement in technology.

What needs improvement?

AWS could be improved with more integration, but I can see that they're developing these features and working very hard on their platform.

I have been working with AWS for a few years.

Amazon AWS is very stable.

One of the major points for AWS is the scalability that comes with it. You can monitor it really well, and you can even adjust down, or sometimes up. What this technology allows is very nice.

AWS is predominantly used in most of the projects that we have. In my organization, there are thousands of users who are using AWS.

I have never personally contacted tech support.

There isn't really an installation for AWS, but you will need certain certificates to download the interface. I generated some certificates, put them on my machine, and then used them to connect to AWS services.

It depends on the project, but there is usually only one guy needed for deployment. For bigger, more complex platforms, you may need two or three guys to deploy AWS.

I implemented AWS myself.

You pay for a license, and that's how you get your own account. These are usually not individual licenses, but rather for a group of people. I think these licenses come at some volume, but I don't know many details about the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS a five out of ten, but it's mainly because I don't feel very experienced in AWS. I have gone to the console many times and seen many features that I have never used. I'm sure I can learn quickly, though, because there is a lot of information shared on the internet about how to use it—there are a lot of resources that you can use to learn, and there are a lot of features available on AWS. They're working very hard on their platform, and I can only see their usage growing in the future.

I would certainly recommend AWS to others.

Md Saiful Hyder
AGM, Enterprise Solutions at Omgea Exim Ltd
MSP
Scalable, robust, and offers many unique services
  • "They provide cutting-edge features compared to other cloud vendors."
  • "Some extensions are better than others."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is useful in many ways. If you want to invest in on-prem infrastructure, it is going to be a huge cost. If you could add auto-scaling features and load balancing features on AWS Cloud, the e-commerce site can use the autoscale feature to handle any traffic threshold or additional workloads. I have two, three customers who are using this feature and they are getting benefits out of it.

What is most valuable?

Amazon, in terms of cloud infrastructure, is really robust.

The product is scalable.

They provide cutting-edge features compared to other cloud vendors.

They offer many services that are unique to AWS

The availability is a good feature. They have certain criteria. For global virtualization, if you want to scale and operate across the world, AWS can provide the infrastructure without limiting the performance. They have those provisions such as availability.

In terms of latency and other things, AWS is great.

The online knowledge base is very helpful and has a vast amount of information for users.

What needs improvement?

The solution could always have better performance.

Some extensions are better than others.

We'd like it if the solution was more secure.

I've been dealing with the solution for over three years. It's been a while.

The solution is robust and stable. The solution is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is highly scalable, especially for the storage part. They have storage called S3 Object Store, which is virtually unlimited. You can scale it to an unlimited amount. It's great.

For AWS, if I compare it to Huawei, Huawei support, Huawei is better compared to AWS, however, AWS is better compared to Google and Oracle or SAP and all of those other clouds. Due to the fact that AWS has a very good knowledge base, you can easily find answers to any issue you might have.

I've also used similar solutions such as Oracle and Azure. I've also dealt with Huawei.

As a cloud-based solution, there isn't really an installation process.

While some clients will take a monthly subscription, we tend to do an SLA reseller with them for a one-year or three-year contract.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller.

As a cloud-based solution, we're always on the latest version. We don't have to manually update it.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. Even compared to other solutions, such as Oracle and Azure, it is much better.

I've been a specialist for AWS for installation, however, I recommend solutions based on the company's requirements. However, it will help them in many ways.

Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has excellent cloud storage and compute services
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are its cloud storage and compute services."
  • "Its only cons are on the data warehouse side. AWS' data warehouse Redshift is not as good as it should be."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon AWS as a data platform.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Amazon AWS could improve on its data warehousing appliance.

Its only cons are on the data warehouse side. AWS' data warehouse Redshift is not as good as it should be.

In terms of what should be in the next release, I would say nothing much other than that AWS has a lot of services doing similar work. If they could consolidate and make sure that the services are defined appropriately, that would be an improvement. Currently, there is a duplicacy of work.

I'm working with AWS for almost five years.

The stability is very good.

You do not need tons of people for maintenance, because a lot of automation will be brought in by AWS, and you can have one or two people to manage the platform.

Amazon AWS' scalability is very good.

There are a lot of features that require scaling - the scale up and scale down aspects of load balancer, Spot Instances, On-Demand Instances, and all those things. You can configure your limits, and based on that, the computer infrastructure can be scaled up.

There are tons of users using it. Whatever the project I work on, there are almost 200 users using it.

There are lot of data engineers, data scientists, and business users using it.

Customer and technical support are very good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The licensing costs are all similar. All charges are similar in nature, such as storage cost, compute cost, VM cost, or VP costs, and all those things. Two advantages on this point here are whether you take Spot Instances or if you reserve for long term usage, then you'll get a lot of benefit.

If you want to use any third party services you have to pay from the Marketplace, but the other things are all pay-as-you-go kind of a model.

What other advice do I have?

Amazon has a great customer base and lot of success stories. That is one advantage that AWS has, whereas the others are catching up. Recently they have more case studies, but for overall breadth of the industry and breadth of the customer experiences, AWS has more customers. AWS has more services than the other competitors.

My advice to anyone thinking about using Amazon AWS is that they need to set up the foundation well, and they need to choose the right partner to do the implementation. The more experience the partner has, the better the implementation will be.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS an eight.

IT Solutions Architect at canvia.com
Control Tower enables us to organize the different accounts our clients have
  • "It's a very flexible and customizable service"
  • "Monthly costs can be high if you don't maintain your usage"

What is our primary use case?

All of our clients look to migrate their workloads to the cloud and we propose the use of AWS depending on the technology of the client or the workload they want to migrate. Our primary use cases are workloadmigrations, infrastructure as a service (IaaS), sometimes platform as a service (PaaS) and software as a service (SaaS). We use different AWS services, Elastic cloud compute, Web application firewall, AWS firewall, LAMBDA, CloudTrail, and others.

What is most valuable?

AWS has a lot of services that are very good. One of the services I use is AWS Transit Gateway. This service allows me to communicate between different networks in different accounts. It's good for network communication. The other service I use a lot of is "Control Tower", it's a service used to organize the different accounts our clients have.

What needs improvement?

With regards to improving the service, I don't see any room for improvement at this time. I love the technology, it is a very good public cloud offering with very good services. Until now, there are no services that I don't like.
One other aspect, it would be good to see the basic service level improved with regards to response time. They don't offer 24-hour support.

I have been using Amazon AWS for around two years.

AWS is very stable. They have an SLA of 99.99%.

AWS is very scalable.

My experience with AWS support is very good. There are four types of support: basic, free, business and premium. It depends on the level of support you have which determines how quickly they can respond about an incident, ticket or request you have.

It's very easy to set up services in AWS. Depending on the solution you need to deploy it can be very quick. A virtual machine can be deployed in 5 minutes.

Our company is a partner with Amazon, we implement in-house.

What is hard with the public cloud service like AWS, is ensuring you maintain a good budget. Plan the monthly consumption properly. If you don't have the expertise in the cloud, your monthly cost can go very high. It's also very easy to set up services in AWS.

I would also suggest companies look for a good partner that has the necessary experience to deploy the services when moving to the cloud. It's very simple, but you need to design a very good architecture for cost optimization and performance.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good for integration. It's very flexible and customizable with other services, public, cloud and on-premise.

Steve Drill
VP Platform Engineering at Hydrogen
Reliable with good reporting and good documentation
  • "The payment structure is very good."
  • "The security right now needs improvement. It's not bad, per se. It's just that there's always room for improvement in security."

What is our primary use case?

We have a financial services application that's a very broad purpose API set. There are rest APIs for executing financial transactions and maintaining financial data. We also have a series of applications built on top of that.

What is most valuable?

Every aspect of the product is excellent. We have no complaints.

The reporting aspects of the solution are excellent.

The documentation that is on offer is very good.

The initial setup isn't too complex. A company shouldn't have any problems implementing the solution.

The stability is very, very reliable.

The payment structure is very good.

The scalability is excellent. There aren't really any limitations

What needs improvement?

The security right now needs improvement. It's not bad, per se. It's just that there's always room for improvement in security.

I'd love to see guarding duties enhanced.

The pricing could be a bit better. It's something that can always be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for years. It's been a while.

The stability is tremendous. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable. The performance is excellent.

The scaling is phenomenal. We use a lot of auto-scaling. It's really fantastic. If a company needs to expand, it can do so easily.

In our organization, we have 15 users of the product.

It is very seldom that we have had to contact technical support. That said, when we have, it's been very responsive. We are quite satisfied with the level of service provided. It's been very good overall.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not too complex. A company that would like to implement it themselves shouldn't have any problems doing so.

The solution is set up as a pay-as-you-go. It's very convenient.

The pricing could always be better, but it's pretty darn good. We're looking into some options for some pricing improvements through some Amazon partners.

There are not any additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

We did look at other clouds, however, ultimately, we chose AWS. We've been extremely happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user.

I've been an enormous fan of AWS. It does exactly what I need it to do. It would be hard to convince me to use anything else.

I would recommend other potential users to absolutely do it. It cannot be beaten. I'll never run a data center again.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. We're very happy with the product overall.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.