Site Reliability Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its features are a great complement to the basic infrastructure of any company

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently using AWS to create two environments with the EC2 instance. I have one environment for staging and developing processes and another environment for production.

What is most valuable?

I like ETL, the EC2 platform, and Route 53. These features are a great complement to the basic infrastructure of any company. The AWS platform has many features, but the fundamental cloud infrastructure is the most important.

I've used AWS for around two years.

AWS is reliable. I've seen around 10 issues in the whole time I've been using it, so I think that is highly stable.

Amazon AWS
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

AWS is a cloud platform, so it's inherently scalable.

The cloud platform can have problems, but AWS has a good SLA. If a region has problems, Amazon will fix the issue, so the customer never knows.

Deploying AWS is complex in the beginning. It becomes more intuitive once you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals. However, a person with no AWS experience might find it overwhelming at first. Total deployment took around two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS nine out of 10. It's a complete solution. If Amazon added any more features, that would just be a pleasant surprise for me because AWS perfectly fits the needs of my current job.

Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes it easy to scale and spin up resources and is pretty dependable

What is our primary use case?

We are mostly using it for DevOps.

We are using its latest version. They do auto-updates and update it at their own will.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to spin up resources.

What needs improvement?

There is no control of downtime.

I have probably been using this solution for eight months.

Over the past couple of days, we've had some outages. It seems they had some network issues, but overall, it has been pretty dependable and stable.

It is easy to scale. We probably have about 50 users who use this solution.

They're decent. Sometimes, they take a while to get back to you. It depends on the severity.

We were using another solution. We switched to it because of its ease of use, ease of deployment, and cost.

Its setup is of medium complexity. It depends on what you're setting up. Some of the things are easy, and some of the things are difficult. For example, setting up infrastructure as code with Terraform is difficult.

It is comparable if you add in the price structure to an on-prem solution.

What other advice do I have?

On the DevOps side, make sure you know what you're doing for security before you implement it. Make sure it is secure.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Amazon AWS
December 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Venkateswarlu Paturu - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A cloud computing solution with great elasticity
  • "The compute and the elasticness of the compute is really great. Whenever there's a load, it automatically adds the servers and then reduces the servers based on the configuration. This is really wonderful, more cost-effective, and it's been really good for us."
  • "AWS support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We're using several Amazon products. We use Amazon AWS Compute Service, AWS Elastic Load Balancing, and a huge private VPN or a virtual private network are created out of it. We also use an API Gateway. There are several products and several services that AWS provides, and we're using them.

What is most valuable?

The compute and the elasticness of the compute is really great. Whenever there's a load, it automatically adds the servers and then reduces the servers based on the configuration. This is really wonderful, more cost-effective, and it's been really good for us.

What needs improvement?

AWS support could be better.

I have been using Amazon AWS for many years.

AWS support could be better. It could be faster and straightforward.

There's no initial setup or installation. It's all configuration.

A few of our customers pay for it yearly and monthly. Sometimes, when it's related to the data, the pricing seems to be high. It could be cheaper on a transactional basis.

We did evaluate a couple of other products like Google Cloud and  RTCloud, but our customers decided to go with AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this cloud solution to new customers.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS an eight.

Roberto Dalt - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Information Systems Engineer / CIO at Azienda ULSS 2 Marca Trevigiana
Provides a good value for money, and is highly scalable and stable
  • "Its scalability is powerful. We are providing services for people to schedule an appointment for the vaccine and for COVID testing to see whether they are positive or negative. In one night, we can have 240,000 people in one minute to schedule an appointment. I am very happy with the scalability."
  • "The dashboard can be improved a little bit to provide more information."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AWS for storage for the database server and data.

What is most valuable?

Its scalability is powerful. We are providing services for people to schedule an appointment for the vaccine and for COVID testing to see whether they are positive or negative. In one night, we can have 240,000 people in one minute to schedule an appointment. I am very happy with the scalability.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard can be improved a little bit to provide more information.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

We open the services at midnight, and we have many people taking our services, and it has been very stable.

Its scalability is wonderful. It is suitable for enterprises.

I don't directly take support from Amazon. We have a company for technical support, and their suggestion was great. The technical sample that they gave was very easy. It helped to resolve the problem quickly.

It was very easy.

I did it myself.

It is not the cheapest one, but there is a good ratio between the quality of service and the pricing. Its price is good for me.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Yogesh (Datamotive) - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder at a tech company with 11-50 employees
On-demand pricing, stable, scalable, and easy to use
  • "The ease of use is the biggest benefit."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see better pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to run some of our workloads.

What is most valuable?

We like the on-demand pricing.

The ease of use is the biggest benefit.

They deliver in terms of features.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see better pricing.

I have been using Amazon AWS for almost a year.

I am using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

This is a scalable product. In my organization, I have 15 to 20 people who are using it.

I don't see any reason why they would not continue using this solution.

I don't have any experience with technical support.

We did not use another solution previously. We started using AWS.

It's all in the cloud, so there is really no installation.

What attracted us was the on-demand pricing. It's a pay-per-use model.

It is costly, but when you use the pay-per-use model, it is cheaper.

The price could be cheaper, but it's better than what is available.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

Chef manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Helpful technical support, easy setup, and highly stable

What is our primary use case?

We have migrated all of our on-premise production environments to the Amazon AWS cloud and we use many AWS services.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more secure.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately six months.

Amazon AWS has proven itself as the market leader in the cloud solution environment and is highly stable.

The solution is scalable.

All of our production environment is hosted on Amazon AWS and we have approximately 12,000 users that use it.

We have enterprise-level support that is very good from the AWS team.

We use other solutions, such as Microsoft Azure for UID and Google Cloud services for DCP.

The initial setup is not difficult and it did not take us more than one day.

We have a managed service provider that helped us with the implementation of the solution.

We have a 60 person team that manages our data operations and infrastructure. The team consists of many levels, such as system engineers, architects, and managers.

We have a monthly subscription for Amazon AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

EmanTaky - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Administrator at KnowledgeNet
High quality features, flexible, and excellent virtualization capabilities
  • "The most valuable features I have found are the Database Migration Service (DMS) for monitoring the host and routing, Route 53, and EC2 tools. The DMS is not available in any other solution that I am aware of. They have a very flexible and professional solution."
  • "If you have not had previous training or studied guides it will be a little difficult to use the solution. However, the difficulty also depends on what you are using the solution for. They can improve by providing more documentation, such as tutorials and videos."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for network virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I have found are the Database Migration Service (DMS) for monitoring the host and routing, Route 53, and EC2 tools. The DMS is not available in any other solution that I am aware of. They have a very flexible and professional solution.

What needs improvement?

If you have not had previous training or studied guides it will be a little difficult to use the solution. However, the difficulty also depends on what you are using the solution for. They can improve by providing more documentation, such as tutorials and videos.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

I have found the stability very good.

The scalability is good.

The technical support has been fine in my experience.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Amazon AWS is the most powerful tool and is at the top for cloud and for virtualization. It has many features and products. It is wonderful and I keep learning from them.

I would highly recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

Lucas Sain - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer at SYSDE
A mature product that is extremely scalable and easy to expand
  • "In general, the cost management in Amazon is complicated. It's not too straightforward."
  • "The solution is pretty mature."

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the product is excellent.

The solution is pretty mature.

What needs improvement?

In general, the cost management in Amazon is complicated. It's not too straightforward. That's a little bit of a problem that they have.

Sometimes, their interface is kind of old. We see that they're trying to move forward and modernize, however, they've gotten a little bit behind compared to, for example, Azure, which obviously started later, and yet, has a better interface. Not better. I would like it if it was easier to reach certain items.

We have quite a bit of experience with AWS.

We have found scalability to be the most useful aspect of the product so far. it's very easy to expand to whatever size you need.

We also use Azure and Oracle.

While AWS is more mature, Azure has updated its user interface and seems more modern in comparison.

We implement the solutions for our clients if they need us to. We deal with AWS, Azure, and Oracle for the most part.

What other advice do I have?

We are an implementor.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've mostly been pleased with the solution's capabilities.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022