IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable backup solution suitable for virtually anything
  • "It's durable — we achieve what we expect from it."
  • "It's not a user-friendly solution. It's a little bit complicated. The UI is not very friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup as a backup solution for virtually everything. Everything you can imagine can be backed up with this solution.

Within our organization, there are roughly 2,000 employees. We definitely plan to continue using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The virtual SAN is good. All backup products have the same features but it's all about your ability with the code when you are using them. It's durable — we achieve what we expect from it.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

Veritas is stable and flexible. When you're talking about virtualization backup, Veritas is great in a secure environment. It's totally virtualized. It's a good solution.

This solution is very scalable.

The support isn't that great. It could be improved. They should have a faster response time.

The initial installation is quite straightforward. Overall, installation takes roughly one hour.

I've installed this solution many times by myself. If you don't have experience with backup solutions, I think it may be challenging for a beginner.

Our technical team consists of four people, including myself, that handle the installation process.

I am currently evaluating NetBackup as it's required for use on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I trust Veritas. I would recommend this solution to a friend or to any company. But remember, what you'll get from it depends on your personal ability.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If the support was faster and the solution was more user-friendly, I would give it a higher rating.

Antony Beni - PeerSpot reviewer
Head IT at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reasonably priced, comfortable to use, and competitive feature set
  • "I am comfortable with using this product."
  • "The restoration method and the compression ratio need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup for backup.

I am the head of the institution and my team is using this solution. It is used by my team. It is evaluated and secured by me, but my storage team uses it 100 percent. I manage this product.

What is most valuable?

I am comfortable with using this product.

What needs improvement?

I don't believe that it is flexible enough for business operations and other things.

Unlike Veeam, Veritas does not provide a Community Edition.

The restoration method and the compression ratio need improvement.

I had been using Veritas NetBackup for ten years.

I am now working with the Veeam Backup solution. I have been working with Veeam Backup for two and half years. I am using the Community Edition.

I am very satisfied with this product. It's stable and scales well.

We never approached Veeam for technical help as a community addition because community addition does not include technical support.

I would rate Veeam Backup a nine out of ten.

The restoration method and the compression ratio, appear to be slightly better than Veritas.

Both are different, it is difficult to compare. I am comfortable in both they are neck in neck in terms of competition.

It is reasonably priced.

It is dependent on the institution as well as the company's requirements. Veeam provides a free corporate license for their platform, whereas Veritas does not. Perhaps there will be a trial version period, after which we will need to purchase it.

Veeam, for example, has a Community Edition, which is free for usage, without any support. This does not exist in Veritas. You can try it for 30, 40 days, or a month trial, then you need to pay for it and start the obligation. For example, I use Veeam without any subscription or license. There is a big difference.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veritas NetBackup an eight out of ten.

Veritas NetBackup
April 2022
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
597,415 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Masood Hussain - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at Hidada
Responsive support, simple data backup, and useful cloud options
  • "The most valuable feature from Veritas NetBackup is the data is very easy to backup. It is similar to VMware. They recently introduced a cloud feature that is useful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Veritas NetBackup to backup our SAP servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature from Veritas NetBackup is the data is very easy to backup. It is similar to VMware. They recently introduced a cloud feature that is useful.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup for approximately seven years.

The solution is stable.

Veritas NetBackup is a scalable solution.

Our IT department is only using Veritas NetBackup.

The support we have received from Veritas NetBackup has been very good.

I have used Veeam previously and is the best backup solution.

The implementation of Veritas NetBackup is very difficult because we have two types of data storage, one is a regular disk and the other is a tape drive. We are using both. Installing each and every service on the servers, licensing for each in the servers, certifications, and connecting takes a long time.

It took us almost two months to fully implement Veritas NetBackup.

We had help from a partner do the implementation of Veritas NetBackup.

The price of Veritas NetBackup is high, it should be reduced.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as VMware and it is less expensive then Veritas NetBackup. The cost of the solution depends upon how much space you are going to take it. For one TB, it costs almost 190 SR. For maintenance and for a new additional deployment it cost approximately 150 to 170 SR.

What other advice do I have?

Veritas NetBackup I would not recommend, because it's too expensive as for the current implementation.

I rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have more than 1,800 policies that run every day, so the product is stable, but it is challenging to get support when we have a problem

What is our primary use case?

We use NetBackup to protect our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the NDMP.

I've been using Veritas for around five years, but the bank has been using it for longer. They started migrating to NetBackup almost eight years ago.

NetBackup is highly stable. We have more than 1,800 policies that run every day. So the product is stable, but it is challenging to get support when we have a problem.

We scale NetBackup, but it's never so much that we need to add a media server in our environment.

They need to improve their support. In the beginning, their engineers had trouble understanding the issue we were presenting. It took a lot of conversations for them to start troubleshooting the problem.

The complexity of the deployment depends on the data we are protecting. It's a bit complicated if we're working with databases, but it's simple to back up a file system. We can do everything ourselves, but we open a case with Veritas if we have a problem. Two full-time IT employees are enough to deploy, maintain, and manage NetBackup.

We only pay a yearly license for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetBackup five out of 10. To anyone implementing NetBackup, I suggest hiring a consultant because the product can be tricky to configure. If it's misconfigured, you won't get the results you want.

Senior Presales Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Plenty documentation online, scalable, and stable

What is our primary use case?

Veritas NetBackup is used for backing up data.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having a feature to backup iSeries workloads.

I used Veritas NetBackup within 12 months.

The solution is stable.

You have two agents, one on the server-side and the other on the client side. For the server-side, the product is licensed using Front-End Terabytes. You must buy more Front-End Terabytes licenses for the server to scale, allowing a higher quantity of backup data. On the client side, it is easy to scale, you can add all clients as you wish. Using Windows Server or Linux Server, if you want to back up databases, such as Oracle SQL Server, or if you want to back up applications, such as SAP or Exchange, it can be done.

Veritas NetBackup has a lot of documentation on the web, in the public domain, it is easy. If you like to read a lot of documents, there is a lot of information available. You have the documents, guides, manuals, that are detailed for all kinds of products, for all kinds of clients and agents. When you need to reach technical support, that means your issue is very hard and documentation has no solution.

In my experience, the Veritas NetBackup installation is hard. However, when it is running in operation, it works with no issues or problems. There are some challenges here in Chile and the whole implementation process can take 60 to 75 days.

What other advice do I have?

At the company where I currently work, Veritas NetBackup is our corporate solution an
    when my customers ask for a backup solution, my first option is Veritas NetBackup.

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate Veritas NetBackup a ten out of ten.

Systems Architect at a paper AND forest products with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Impressive scalability, stable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

I am an integrator and I provide solutions for our customers.

This solution is used for the backup and recovery of our customer's data.

What is most valuable?

We like the use of the tasks.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

The implementation process could be simplified to make it quicker.

I was certified with NetBackup in 2008. There was a bit of a break in using backup solutions but I recently started using it again for our customer who is using it. I have approximately two years of experience.

We are working with NetBackup 9.1.

Veritas NetBackup is stable. We have not experienced any bugs or glitches with this solution.

At this moment, we are satisfied with it.

The scalability is impressive. Our clients are mostly enterprise businesses.

At this time, we have no plans to increase our usage or move to another solution. We recently implemented this product and we are satisfied with the tasks it performs.

If we have any issues, we contact technical support in Russia. They provide us with a resolution.

We are very satisfied with the technical support.

The initial setup is not complex. We implement from the Veritas site and we use the knowledge base.

It can take several months to implement this solution. We had to prepare the architecture, the guides, and documentation for several data centers. It was not a fast implementation.

Our license is capacity-based.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veritas NetBackup a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    System IT and Technologies Field Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good technical support but the SQL Server backup features are not up-to-date
    • "The most valuable feature is its stability."
    • "The SQL Server backup features are not up to date."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

Lots of features are in need of improvement.

The SQL Server backup features are not up to date. I would also like to see the Exchange server and Cloud backup handled better.

There are no features for cloud backup in my on-premises environment, which limits me when it comes to managing them.

The performance is poor on our system and it takes too long to complete a backup.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup for more than ten years.

The stability is very good.

My environment is not growing very quickly, so I haven't had the opportunity to check scalability. My understanding is that it is expensive to scale.

We are typically in contact with technical support two or three times a year to deal with issues that arise. They're brilliant, fast, and professional.

The setup was completed before I joined the company.

My licensing model is based on capacity so as we grow, the price we pay increases and it becomes too expensive.

We are currently looking for another solution. One of the reasons is that we know that we can get more for less money.

What other advice do I have?

This backup and recovery product is good, although looking at my current environment, it is pretty old. My advice for anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is to assess the feasibility of it in their environment.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Symantec Business Critical Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Simple GUI but managing dependencies should be agentless
    • "The main thing I like about NetBackup is CloudPoint. You can take a snapshot of the endpoint and back it up with CloudPoint. The data backups are the most important."
    • "Veritas could simplify the firmware recovery in terms of the deployed. The process shouldn't be dependent on the agents. It should be completely agentless."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetBackup to take a snapshot of our endpoint server.

What is most valuable?

The main thing I like about NetBackup is CloudPoint. You can take a snapshot of the endpoint and back it up with CloudPoint. The data backups are the most important. I also like how Veritas has simplified the GUIs. There are a lot of security features in place already around the connection as well as many intelligent policies and a pure understanding of the cloud policies, so it's direct compared to many others.

What needs improvement?

Veritas could simplify the firmware recovery in terms of the deployed. The process shouldn't be dependent on the agents. It should be completely agentless.

I have been using NetBackup for two years.

NetBackup is stable.

NetBackup is scalable.

NetBackup support isn't great, but it's not the worst, either.

Setting up NetBackup is easy, but the documentation is a bit complex. Veritas used to have consolidated documentation, so it was easy to navigate the documents. The implementation guidelines were contained in a single document, so you didn't need to switch between multiple documents. Configuration should be the clearest documentation.

The price of NetBackup is okay. I think it's a little bit expensive but manageable. It has a lot of features, and the backup is better than most applications, so I think the price is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetBackup seven out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: April 2022