We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
George Nel
Instrumentation Superintendent Systems at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Customizable with a straightforward setup and reasonable pricing
  • "The product is scalable."
  • "The reporting module that got integrated into the system itself, used to be a standalone solution and I preferred that."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it in the OT environment. We use it for important equipment, voice equipment, safety devices, and to alarm and report on.

How has it helped my organization?

Solarwind NPM gives you a quick overview of the OT environment. This greatly  improves response times on down equipment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite customizable.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution is stable.

We have had a good experience with technical support.

The product is scalable.

So far, we have found the pricing to be reasonable.

It meets expectations. With a bit of SQL knowledge, you do manage to get a lot out of your reports.

What needs improvement?

There are still huge concerns about security. The image of Solarwinds NPM took a huge knock due to SUNBURST and SUPERNOVA. Security experts are still concerned. I would suggest that Solarwinds put more effort into rebuilding trust with the customers and the market.

I've been using the solution for five or six years. I've been using it for a while.

The stability is great and any issues we face are addressed very quickly by technical support.

The scalability is there. If you need to scale the solution, you can.

Technical support is good. All of the issues I had were addressed by the support team within hours. They are helpful and responsive and I am satisfied with the level of support.

The initial setup is not difficult or complex. It's quite simple and straightforward.

We have an internal team that can handle any maintenance we need.

In-house

As we monitor safety equipment and underground phones, the first incident you can prevent and save a life, the ROI is instantaneous.

The product compares well against all the other monitoring software out there. It is not overpriced at all.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

The solution is easy to use and customization is possible. It is extremely powerful when set up correctly.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been pleased with its capabilities, although its level of security is still worrisome.

System Engineer - Infrastructure Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Lightweight, easy to install, useful reports, and the local support is good
  • "The product is lightweight in terms of memory use, requiring only 10 megabytes or less."
  • "The integration needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to monitor our performance. It gives us visibility of our environment, especially for software.

What is most valuable?

The agent that we use is also light and does not block server memory.

SolarWinds makes it easy for us to monitor our environment.

The reports that it generates are useful for creating documentation.

What needs improvement?

The integration needs to be improved. SolarWinds has many modules for things like application monitoring and network performance monitoring, but sometimes they are not as good as others that are being used. This means that we use other tools and eventually, we want to integrate them into SolarWinds. It might also be the case that we have other tools, like Splunk and Windows Event Collector, and we want to integrate them but can't.

We began dealing with SolarWinds NPM about two years ago, in 2018

SolarWinds is quite stable. In the last couple of weeks, I have heard that they have a bug or a security hold in the RMM platform. Luckily, we do not use it, but instead, just use NPM. Nevertheless, we contacted the supplier and asked them to help us update to patch the security hole.

I think that it is easy to scale.

We receive our support from the local vendor and it is good. When we call and ask for support, the response is very good.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It was easy for us to install and the deployment took about one month to complete. In the first week, we gathered the software that we wanted to install. From there, it took us another week to do the different installations. After that, we deployed the agent and the tools for working with it.

We use BigFix to deploy, so it's easy for us.

The product is updated regularly.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I can recommend it, especially if you have a Windows environment and network. That would not be complex. My only issue is with the integration.

Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Scalable, traditional brand; multitenancy needs improvement
  • "What I've found most valuable about the solution is that it's scalable."
  • "The solution is not always good with new features, so it's take a long time."

What is most valuable?

What I've found most valuable about the solution is that it's scalable.

What needs improvement?

An area of the solution that needs improvement is the multitenancy. I'd like to see more features that deal with multitenancy in the next release.

I have been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

There are issues with newer features so it can take a long time to adjust. The solution is in bad shape because of software hacks.

The installation takes about one day. However, it can take more than a couple of days to work with SolarWinds NPM or other products. The integration is part of the project.

We have specialists that take care of the installation. Usually you need two or three technicians to implement, depending on the company's experience. The main part is integrating the customization.

To get the positive business case within ROI, return on investment, sometimes also use the NCV, the net constant value.

There's standard licensing, and then it depends on the size of the customer. I have customers that pay anywhere from 25K up to 200K, depending on the subscription model.

The competitors can be PRTG in combination with, for example, log monitoring features. There are lots in that space.

If you look at SolarWinds, it's a very traditional brand, and there are a couple of competitors who are far more modern, also in the layout. Some of the competitors have better visibility, and also have licenses more suitable for some customers.

What other advice do I have?

We have a couple hundred customers using this solution.

Whether the solution is right depends on the customer's needs. What does he want? What is the company's strategy? What expertise does he have? Does the company have its own technicians? Does higher management have the strategy to help their specialists or not?

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior Systems Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Covers everything from end to end, from the standpoint of endpoint machines and the routers and switches
  • "It covers everything from end to end, from the standpoint of endpoint machines and the routers and switches. The switch port also comes there."
  • "It has covered everything, so no improvement is required at their end. The only thing is the price."

What is our primary use case?

It is for our current infrastructure or servers and storage system. We're using it globally to monitor our global network. We are currently monitoring all the infrastructure APM, network, switches, and routers. We have some elements in the UK and the USA.

What is most valuable?

It covers everything from end to end, from the standpoint of endpoint machines and the routers and switches. The switch port also comes there.

What needs improvement?

It has covered everything, so no improvement is required at their end. The only thing is the price.

We have been using this solution for around eight years.

It's stable. We didn't face any issues in the last period.

It's scalable. We see expansion there. More than 500 users are currently using it.

We contacted them once last year. We requested their support with an upgrade. They were very helpful.

It's easy and straightforward. There is no complication.

We deployed it in one day. We had POC in one day, and we prepared the servers, virtual machine. We did the installation, database setup, and firewall setup in one day. It was easy.

We get some consultants. If there are some challenges, then we definitely need a consultant.

It is too expensive.

We also use Microsoft Operation Manager SCOM. Microsoft is dedicated to monitoring servers, but it needs some improvement in network monitoring. SolarWinds is more appropriate.

We are also comparing SolarWinds NPM and Zabbix. Currently, we have SolarWinds NPM, but its license is about to expire. We need to see which product is suitable for our environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SolarWinds NPM. From the product side, it covers everything. It is perfect.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Feature-rich with good technical support
  • "The people in technical support are very good."
  • "The interface could be made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we evaluated this product, amongst others, for one of our clients. This product is used as a network monitoring tool.

What is most valuable?

This product has a lot of good network monitoring features.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be made more user-friendly. There are lots of features but using them is a little bit difficult. For somebody doing network monitoring for the first time, it is quite difficult to use. For example, they could add better dashboards.

We evaluated this solution for one month.

It was used on a daily basis during the PoC and it was stable, once the configuration was completed.

We did not test scalability during the PoC. There were four or five network operators and the infrastructure included more than 200 devices.

This product is supported well. The people in technical support are very good.

The setup is a little bit complex and it took me about a week to deploy. It took time to configure everything.

Expertise is required in order to deploy this solution. I received some support during the implementation and deployment.

The price is more expensive than some other products, such as ManageEngine.

I also tested ManageEngine while I was evaluating SolarWindws, and I prefer ManageEngine so that is what we decided to implement. It was more user-friendly, less expensive, and we didn't need to bring in any help for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is if they have expertise in SolarWinds then they should implement it. If they do not, then they should look at another option.

Overall, SolarWinds is a very good product. However, compared to ManageEngine, there is room for improvement.

Server and Network Monitoring Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
User friendly console for the end user
  • "The most valuable feature is the way it monitors the environment, and how user-friendly the console is for the end-user. The interface is also very easy and it captures all the information very well."
  • "This product could improve by adding cloud monitoring. I want SolarWinds NPM to do much more integration, and have more involvement in cloud monitoring, like AWS or Google, or Azure. I feel like it requires lots of improvement for cloud monitoring in NPM."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the way it monitors the environment, and how user-friendly the console is for the end-user. The interface is also very easy and it captures all the information very well.

What needs improvement?

This product could improve by adding cloud monitoring. I want SolarWinds NPM to do much more integration, and have more involvement in cloud monitoring, like AWS or Google, or Azure. I feel like it requires lots of improvement for cloud monitoring in NPM.

I've been working with this product for almost ten years.

The support could be improved. Within the last two, three years, I would say the support has declined. It has degraded, but not that bad. We are still getting solutions, but sometimes, calls stay on hold. When we try to call the support team, it continues to ring on their side. About half of the time it gets connected very quickly, but the other half takes some time to connect. Sometimes I wait more than 10 minutes. It's not totally bad, as we are still getting support. Nowadays, we prefer to send emails to them, so whenever they have someone available, they can revert back to us and we can schedule a call with them.

The pricing is reasonable. In the last year we tried to look for different applications and those other applications are even more expensive.

If someone wants to install this application, they need to be very specific what environment they want to monitor, whether they want to monitor in a hybrid environment or just cloud, or just on prem, because the setup is going to be quite different in all aspects. When it comes to installation, someone has to have a better understanding of what they're actually going to monitor, how many nodes they are going to monitor, how many network device they are going to monitor, etc. With respect to that, the licensing changes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SolarWinds NPM an eight out of ten.

Senior Solutions Specialist (Network & Security) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The GUI is good but it is lacking features found in competing products

What is our primary use case?

We have a data center that is used by multiple clients and we need to see how applications are performing when clients are on our network. The NPM tool is used to analyze what different applications are consuming, in terms of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the graphical user interface.

What needs improvement?

SolarWinds needs to be improved such that it is on par with the leading products in the market. There are better products available, albeit more expensive.

We have been using SolarWinds NPM for three months.

This is a mature product and the stability is quite good.

What do I think about the scalability of the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the graphical user interface.

What needs improvement?

We have been using SolarWinds NPM for three months.

This is a mature product and the stability is quite good.

We have eight users including an operations analyst, system analyst, and support engineers.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are good.

SolarWinds was the first product of this type that we used.

The initial setup is straightforward. The implementation took about two weeks in a controlled environment. We had no problems with the installation and connecting to our devices.

We did not require assistance for the deployment.

One person is suitable for deployment and maintenance.

It is not an expensive product.

We will probably continue looking for a better product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend, although it requires technical skills in order to use it.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Accounts Officer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides good monitoring capabilities, generates useful reports that save us time
  • "The most important feature is reporting. The reports that are generated are useful and they save a lot of time with respect to monitoring."
  • "I would like to have a Syslog server module for this product. That would make the solution better."

What is our primary use case?

This product is useful for monitoring our network devices.

It monitors bandwidth utilized on the network and tells us whether particular nodes or particular services are available or not.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is of good caliber and we get better results by using it on our network.

Not many technical people are needed for administration.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is reporting. The reports that are generated are useful and they save a lot of time with respect to monitoring.

What needs improvement?

We began using SolarWinds NPM a few months ago.

This is a very stable solution and we use it extensively.

SolarWinds NPM is scalable.

Up to now, we haven't opened any cases to tech support. Our local support is helping us to deal with the issues and if required, we will contact the vendor for support.

This product is easy to install.

A single technical person can deploy it.

We have a technical team aligned with our support SLA and they are helping us in this regard.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

Download our free SolarWinds NPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.