Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
IT Project Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Good technical support with very helpful roadmap functionality and reliable stability
  • "Technical support has been very helpful."
  • "We'd like to be able to see different timelines as a part of one task."

What is most valuable?

The roadmap functionality is very nice. All the dependencies and timelines are there.

The board mode and the list of tasks are very handy to have in front of me. It looks very similar to a Trello board. It's very easy to navigate and understand.

The stability is very good.

Technical support has been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to have few more specific features, however, it's possible that Microsoft will decide to implement and deploy them in the future.

It would be nice, for example, if we have stages of the project, to have some tasks that can be split. We'd like to be able to see different timelines as a part of one task.

I'd like to see the dependency of one task but split into a few parts. I'm mostly working with infrastructure projects in the company. Sometimes I have to stop the implementation of one part of the project due to various reasons, and I have to switch to another task. I have to see the stage and stop and show in another part I'm taking in the work. I'm not stopping the project. I'm just switching tasks and I have to see when I can continue the previous response. I need to see that the one task continuing, but not all the time. Right now, the organization is done mostly in my head, however, it would be ideal if I could visualize it with adjusted timelines.

We just started using the solution a few months ago. We're still in the testing phase and haven't fully decided on what were are going to go forward with.

We didn't have any problems with the product. It's very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It works great.

Microsoft Project
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We had contact with technical support on another project and had questions about our migration between two tenants. We talked directly to support and it was quite helpful to use them to get advice and assistance. We had a nice experience overall.

We've worked with Zoho One in the past, as well as a few other premium CRM providers. We were working on a full complex solution for our office that was a CRM with different other solutions. It was for complicated projects, however, we decided to switch to another software.

We are using currently using Office 365 and additional applications from Office 365 such as Branches, Project, and Power BI. We decided to have all the complex solutions from one company that offers connected applications, rather than just choose all different software without the basic platform from which we can connect. That's why we chose Microsoft Project.

We have three licenses. Three people have an opportunity to make projects, and two people are included in the project so they can see the timeline, the board, the task. They're quite happy with what they see in terms of being able to watch over the project.

While we're likely to use Microsoft, we're also looking at Jira, Confluence, and Trello.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users of the solution.

While we are currently using the cloud as we test things out, it's possible, once we make a concrete decision about Microsoft, that we will switch to an on-premises deployment.

Currently, I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten simply due to the fact that I don't know all the opportunities it offers us just yet. We haven't been using it for so long and need some more time to discover all the features on offer.

Solutions Manager, Support Analyst at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The interface is intuitive, so anyone can jump in and start, but reporting could be better
  • "Microsoft Project integrates well with the Microsoft Office family of applications. It has plugins that interact with it and you can use it with Microsoft Teams. We can use plugins to communicate with JIRA, Projectplace, and Planview. It's not widely used in the company, of course, but it's something that can interact with the official tools that we have."
  • "Planview FLEX licensing gives us a central repository where all the projects are stored so you can check the finances, resources, etc. It's quite useful to have everything connected. We don't have that for Microsoft Project. It's disconnected. The reporting capabilities could also be better, especially with finance and resources. Everybody complains about reports. That's why we need another tool."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Project is one of the main tools our teams abroad use for planning, and it's very flexible. Local teams use it to manage small projects locally. It's also a repository for storing financial information that we don't want to track down.

Teams use Microsoft Project for tracking tasks, managing requests, assigning resources, and following up. Workers can submit work to managers for approval and then it's submitted to the main process.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Project provides a starter tool that project managers can learn before moving on to solutions that are more convenient or widely used in the company. The interface is intuitive, so anyone can jump in and start planning.

It's also a tool that is common among many companies, so if I take a new job at another firm, there's a good chance they will be using Microsoft Project, too. When we hire a new person, they can usually start working right away without any training. We only need to teach them how to apply that knowledge to the other tools we use.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Project integrates well with the Microsoft Office family of applications. It has plugins that interact with it and you can use it with Microsoft Teams. We can use plugins to communicate with JIRA, Projectplace, and Planview. It's not widely used in the company, of course, but it's something that can interact with the official tools that we have.

What needs improvement?

You can do a lot of stuff with Microsoft Project, but the licensing is for individual computers, so it's not connected to a central platform like the one that we have in Planview.

Planview FLEX licensing gives us a central repository where all the projects are stored so you can check the finances, resources, etc. It's quite useful to have everything connected. We don't have that for Microsoft Project. It's disconnected. The reporting capabilities could also be better, especially with finance and resources. Everybody complains about reports. That's why we need another tool.

I've only been using Microsoft Project for a year. I have more experience with Planview Projectplace, but we use this as well. I'm primarily responsible for Projectplace in my role. I do onboarding for other teams, create the workflows, and work with use case scenarios for various teams worldwide.

It's an on-premise solution. It's never going to break down because it's installed on a local computer. It's highly stable from that point of view, but our use case is also limited.

A project management application is only as powerful as the information you put inside. Projectplace is available to time reporters, developers, engineers, resource managers, and financial controllers. It is a powerful tool that provides a centralized way to gather information.

A director can access Projectplace and see every project involving their teams. You can create custom reports. We have teams that design new reports for the various needs we have. That's the most powerful feature a project management solution can have—the ability to pull out information. That's something we don't have with Microsoft Project.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Project seven out of 10. Better tools are available. Microsoft Project is a decent tool for small startups and medium-sized projects, and it's widely used.

We work with customers to develop products from scratch. The process involves multiple design teams, financial controls, and planning. Each project is part of a larger program, and we have to follow up on that. There are tons of tools that can do this way better. Microsoft Project, in my opinion, is for small and medium-sized projects.

Microsoft Project
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hector-Gonzalez - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Global PMO Manager, Project & Portfolio Management Office Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Improves visibility, offers good integration, and is robust
  • "The integration between SharePoint and Power BI has been great."
  • "We need more integration with Microsoft Teams and other collaboration tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for portfolio management, project management, and program management. It is also used for reporting to leadership on a portfolio level.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives the enterprise and leadership the visibility of what's going on with their enterprise. It provides visibility to all the projects that are going on within the company.

What is most valuable?

The integration between SharePoint and Power BI has been great.

The stability is good.

You can scale the solution as needed.

What needs improvement?

We need more integration with Microsoft Teams and other collaboration tools.

The product could be more user-friendly in some areas.

I've used the solution for a while. I've used it over the last 12 months at least.

The stability is pretty good. It's easy to use and reliable.

The solution can scale. It can scale for a company that's dealing with a medium-size company dealing with 10 to 20 projects, all the way to the large companies dealing with hundreds of projects it's very scalable.

We've got the technology department using the product. We also have businesses using it as well. We have a total of 100 plus people that are using it today in our company.

The solution is being used extensively. We do have plans on working with a third party to potentially make the solution even more user-friendly.

I haven't used their technical support, however, I've partnered up with Microsoft Partners to come up with potential future solutions.

Before Microsoft Project Online, we just used Microsoft Project Desktop and we utilized Microsoft SharePoint to create lists in order to create portfolio trackers and project trackers that way. We needed a more robust solution that can track risk management, budgetary prioritization, et cetera. Microsoft Project does that for us.

The setup can be both complex and easy. I'd rate it 3.5 out of five, with five being an easy setup.

Deployment involves usually implementing the new tools and then adopting and having people use it. Implementation took about three months and then the adoption took another six to eight to nine months of training and making sure people use the tool.

We have admins and that's one or two folks that can handle any maintenance requirements. It's not a high-maintenance product.

We had a consultant assist us with the implementation.

We've seen an ROI from the aspect of efficiencies and having information in one central location. We've cut time in reporting. We've cut time in the administration portion as well, of setting up projects so there's been efficiency. We hope the ROI might expand as we use it more.

I'm not aware of what the licensing costs are. There might be extra costs associated with maintenance.

While it is my understanding that we did look at other solutions, I was not part of that tendering process. I don't know which ones were vetted.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user.

I'd advise potential new users to make sure they select a tool that will be useful to the end-user. This tool is really catered to project managers, while the majority of the folks who are executing projects are not what I call professional project managers.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Founder at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Exceptional for waterfall methodologies, reliable, but better integration needed
  • "In my experience, this solution is one of the best for the waterfall management model."
  • "The solution could be more flexible when it comes to integration."

What is our primary use case?

We used the solution for the waterfall framework model for management.

What is most valuable?

In my experience, this solution is one of the best for the waterfall management model. You are able to analyze, allocate tasks easily, chart, use different kinds of graphs, and the atmosphere is something similar to other Microsoft Office products. Having similarity to Office is the reason why it is easy to use. The majority of people already know how to use those pieces of software.

There are plenty of features in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more flexible when it comes to integration.

They added the Agile Framework also to their solution. I think Agile does not work with this kind of spreadsheet platform. Mainly for Agile, it needs something such as Kanban or Scrum board. There is also a need for a tool for brainstorming on a whiteboard online but this solution does not have this feature.

If the solution wants to match the Agile Framework, it would be better to add something similar to Asana, Kanban or Scrum board. This way companies and teams can easily create a sprint and follow up. It will be easier for the Scrum Master coach to facilitate communication between groups and teams. If they let people choose their Agile methodology, such as Jira, it would be better.

I have been using the solution for one year.

I had no problems using the solution, it operated fine.

Since the solution does not have some features to better use other methodologies it is limited. We have approximately 100 employees using the solution.

There are many communities for Microsoft products. I was not in contact with customer support.

You cannot easily do brainstorming in this solution. This is why we have evaluated other solutions and are currently considering a DevOps solution. When companies that want to transform to agility or Agile Frameworks consider going to some tools similar to Asana as a Kanban or Scrum board and for Agile software development, they might go with Microsoft Azure. This solution has been created for the Waterfall framework, and even if Microsoft added some features to use for Agile Framework it will not work because it has not been created for Agile frameworks specifically as Scrum or Kanban has.

The installation for doing the Waterfall methodology is easy. You do not need a lot of training, but if you want to do advance operations, such as Excel, you need to be trained. There are many pieces of training online on platforms such as YouTube and Udemy, people can easily learn. You do not need a special course or to have a certificate.

Our project manager does most of the implementation.

I do not remember the exact cost we paid but usually, they charge per user per month. The price is not that important for enterprise, they prefer to have something useful and works. If it makes your team more productive, then the price does not matter so much.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing this solution understand that is it best for those who want to stay with the Waterfall framework. First-time businesses in some industries such as construction, Waterfall is a better choice. It depends on the industry, but the majority of industries and companies are moving to Agile methodology.

I rate Microsoft Project a six out of ten.

George Isaac - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Manager at InterCAD Systems Pvt Ltd
Reseller
It's one of the only solutions you can use in just about any industry, but it hasn't updated its features since 2013
  • "Microsoft Project is one of the only solutions you can use in just about any industry. It's difficult to do that with most other project management tools. There is a lot of flexibility within the product assets. Most sectors can utilize Microsoft Project successfully because it doesn't have any generic adapters."
  • "Microsoft Project has much room for improvement. The solution is still stuck where it was in 2013. Not much has changed since then. There is a lot that can be changed in the enterprise segment."

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Project is one of the only solutions you can use in just about any industry. It's difficult to do that with most other project management tools. There is a lot of flexibility within the product assets. Most sectors can utilize Microsoft Project successfully because it doesn't have any generic adapters. Primavera is a competitor from Oracle, and they've got adapters for some industries but not others. For example, they have adapters for construction management, so people who are on construction projects usually go for Primavera because the adapters make it easy for them to scale out a project.

With Microsoft Project, you need to do more work to get the same thing, but that is the advantage of having adapters. Adapters make it easy for certain sectors to implement their projects, but Project doesn't have that, so anybody can use it. That is the best thing about Microsoft Project

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Project has much room for improvement. The solution is still stuck where it was in 2013. Not much has changed since then. There is a lot that can be changed in the enterprise segment.

There hasn't been a significant addition to the enterprise part of Microsoft Project since 2013. The biggest change was the integration of Power BI reporting into Microsoft Project. Other than that, we are seeing still the same features

Some of the underlying things have changed. For example, data management is quite different. It's called Dataworks, and database management is different. Data is handled differently, but there haven't been any new features on an enterprise scale.

Microsoft has developed more user-friendly Project implementations beyond enterprise use cases. They're transitioning from the enterprise platform to something that everybody can use, but they are losing out on features.

We have been selling Microsoft Project for a couple of years.

Microsoft Project is stable, but it requires a lot of customization.

Microsoft Project is highly scalable. It can handle anything from one user to 10,000. What makes Microsoft Project different is that a single person can handle thousands of tasks in a project easily.

We haven't spoken to anybody at Microsoft support because they do not have a big team on Microsoft Project for this region, but we learned about production solutions through implementation.

We picked up a couple of orders for Microsoft Project for certain shipbuilding companies. We took their projects and did a study, then implemented a solution for them that was tailored to their particular needs. We learned on the job, but there was no guidance or support from the vendor.

Project is essentially an extension of an Excel sheet. You need to configure a lot of things to get your project management done correctly, and the use case scenario is different for each customer. Some require Project for certain needs, which may not be the same for the next customer. We need to understand the customer's work requirements, and we will build a solution on Microsoft Project.

What other advice do I have?

Seven out of 10. My advice for Microsoft Project or any project management solution is to set clear goals. You need to have a vision in mind when thinking about Microsoft Project deliveries or any other project team delivery. If you don't have a clear vision, you may not realize project value, and that might lead to issues.

Systems Software Specialist III at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with a good user interface and excellent scalability
  • "The user interface is very clean."
  • "Once we commit our status, changing it is hard."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to enter our status and our time. For each task that we're doing, we have to enter a monthly status. It's for project management.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution has been so much better than the previous project management tool we had been using.

It's very easy to select the projects. It's so easy to save the project, task, and hours that I want. You don't have to think about it.

The user interface is so clean. The previous EPM product was so hard to understand in terms of the user interface.

What needs improvement?

Once we commit our status, changing it is hard. Sometimes, I may make a mistake about a holiday or something. I may not remember that there was a particular day that was a holiday and I may enter time on that day as if I worked. Sometimes I want to fix it. It would be ideal if the holidays were pre-installed so that we wouldn't make that mistake, that would be ideal. It should allow us to set it so that we cant enter time on holidays.

I have only explored maybe 5% of Microsoft Project as we're only using it to log things. I haven't seen a lack of features.

I've been using the solution for about one year at this point.

I haven't had any issues with stability. There aren't bugs or glitches, at least, none that I have witnessed. It doesn't crash or freeze. Overall, it's quite good.

Every employee has to use this solution, and we are a sizable organization. Likely, we have thousands of users on this product.

The solution is on the cloud, and therefore it can scale so well. We have our own internal cloud, and Microsoft has a cloud as well. If a company wants to expand it, it should be able to do so with relative ease.

I can't speak to the quality of Microsoft's technical support. I've never contacted them, so I can't say how knowledgeable or responsive they are. We have our own internal support. We are a very big organization, so we have an internal support team that assists us if we need help. They may reach out to Microsoft directly, however, I have no knowledge of their interactions.

We did previously use a different project management solution. I've only seen the user interface. It's my understanding that it is called EPM, or something to that effect. I like Microsoft's solution much more. It's a better product.

I only use the solution. I did not have to set it up. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to do this as I am just an end-user in the company.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user and customer. My organization is a large company and we're a big customer of Microsoft.

I don't know which version of the solution I'm currently using.

My life has improved so much with Microsoft Project. It works extraordinarily well.

Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Founder & Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A complete, all-rounded enterprise product from the portfolio management and individual project management perspective
  • "It is a complete and all-rounded enterprise product. From a portfolio management perspective and an individual project management perspective, it is a corporate-wide project management product. It can be used for resource planning, financial planning, task planning, etc."
  • "It is a traditional Waterfall-based solution, so it doesn't lend itself particularly well to Agile development. You can record Agile sprints within it, but it is not really an Agile-based product. It can store the basic information about budgets that an Agile set of work is looking to use, but that's about it."

What is our primary use case?

I used it at another company. I'm not working for the same company at the moment. I was employed on a consultancy basis, and this product was used for IT project management.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete and all-rounded enterprise product. From a portfolio management perspective and an individual project management perspective, it is a corporate-wide project management product. It can be used for resource planning, financial planning, task planning, etc.

What needs improvement?

It is a traditional Waterfall-based solution, so it doesn't lend itself particularly well to Agile development. You can record Agile sprints within it, but it is not really an Agile-based product. It can store the basic information about budgets that an Agile set of work is looking to use, but that's about it.

I have been using it for 25 years.

Its stability, reliability, and performance are fine.

There are no problems with its scalability.

We had about 150 users. It was being used on a daily and hourly basis. I was the program director, and all the project management teams were using it daily.

To my knowledge, I have not directly contacted them on this particular product. We had reached out to the original implementation consultants who were a Microsoft accredited organization but not for technical support. It was more for consultancy.

It was quite complicated. It needed consultants that were specialists in it to help with the implementation. Most of it was done before, but it wasn't widely used. So, we took that implementation and built on it.

In terms of maintenance, because it's a cloud-based solution, it's real-time.

It was a three-year license deal that was reconciled on a quarterly basis. It is a reasonably priced product, and I consider that we got good value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to others, but it really depends on what they're looking to gain out of this. I would not recommend buying the portfolio management product if you do not have an established and reasonably mature portfolio management setup. If you don't have that, then you're paying for a product, but it will only get used as an individual standalone project management product, and you will not take advantage of the portfolio features. So, buying the portfolio management licenses doesn't make sense unless you've got an established or reasonably mature project office. There should be better alignment and integration with general portfolio management.

It is not a fully integrated Agile product set. It can be used to store basic information. If you've got a blend of Waterfall and Agile projects and you've got overall budgets, then you can record your Agile perspective within it, but you can't use it purely as an Agile product. For that, you'd probably use Azure DevOps or something like that.

It needs a degree of planning before it's implemented. I would recommend organizations to do that, rather than jumping in feet first.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Abdul  Faheem - PeerSpot reviewer
Global sales head at MEPCSA
Great cloud version with excellent functionality but needs better Gantt features
  • "I especially like the reporting tools, which are visual tools and offer visual reports."
  • "The Gantt set needs to be improved. The grid lines needs to be more interactive."

What is our primary use case?

It's my day-to-day software.

I use it for my projects. I handle the portfolio. I have multiple projects and I need to monitor those projects and generate reports and consolidate everything.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is great.

Microsoft Project is good overall. However, I especially like the reporting tools, which are visual tools and offer visual reports. The visual reports is what I like about Microsoft Projects.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The Cloud version has far more advanced features in it. I haven't hands on it yet, however, I have seen the product, and it has all the enhancements that are required.

I've been using the solution for 15 years now.

It is a stable, reliable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have about 100 people on the solution.

The company is now starting to use the cloud version. They stopped implementing any other versions. Once we migrate to the Cloud version, then we have to see how it's going to compliment us in terms of scaling.

I've not contacted the call center or the support center for any support. I go on the community website and try to find it to see if I can find any kind of troubleshooting steps there, and I manage issues on my own.

I used Primavera previously.

Primavera is not user friendly, and has no support on the database types. It requires certain a format to be implemented. There are many differences between these two solutions. For a billing or for operational use, Primavera definitely doesn't really suffice.

The setup was straightforward and not as complex as Primavera or any other project management tool.

When it comes to the on-prem deployment of the older versions, you don't usually get the results, you don't find it online. They are not readily available. We need to get into the third party applications and download the third party results. From there on, it's a marathon to install. The cloud version is easier.

There's not really any maintenance needed.

I used my administrator during the implementation. I asked him to assist me.

I don't have very much information in terms of pricing. However, it is a necessary tool for us and therefore whether it's cheap or expensive for us.

I'm not sure as to if we need to pay for any extras or deal with ancillary fees.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Microsoft.

I'm working with the 2019 version at this point.

I'd advise users to go for the cloud version. It's easier to deploy and share.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Project Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022