IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Director Technology at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
It gives us the speed and predictability to build something in a short time.
  • "Azure's Data Lake services are decent. I like AKS, and API Management is relatively straightforward to use. The security and SIEM options Azure offers are good. All the infrastructure services are easy to use and set up."
  • "Pricing is one area where Azure has room for improvement. There should be some due consideration. Azure has solved some issues with pricing from the development team's standpoint, but it is still quite costly. They should also offer a trial period for the individual platform solutions. I think that would be pretty handy for the developers."

What is our primary use case?

In general, we use Azure for financial services.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure helps us take a few things to the market predictably and robustly. It gives us the speed and predictability to build something in a short time. The cost can sometimes be clumsier, but I believe it is similar to other cloud providers. These are the main advantages, but the price is one factor that has really bothered our clients.

What is most valuable?

Azure's Data Lake services are decent. I like AKS, and API Management is relatively straightforward to use. The security and SIEM options Azure offers are good. All the infrastructure services are easy to use and set up.

What needs improvement?

In terms of adoption, one issue we face is providing training for users who are new to Azure and want to try some features out. There are some methods by which the organization has to allot some budget to them, but it has to be apart from the developer endpoints. It's difficult for them to try out something new. It would be nice if Azure had an evaluation period of 30, 60, or 90 days, so people could try out a few things and learn.That is one challenging area, but this is a problem with all cloud providers, not just Azure. Some free subscriptions are available, but they are for the cloud platform as a whole rather than just a single service. For example, say I don't have a trial subscription, but I want to try something new like Azure AKS for 30 days to learn and to try out.  It's hard to say what Azure could add. There are a few specific requirements that clients raise based on business needs. In general, I don't think there is any particular feature I can recommend.
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Azure for about four or five years.

Azure has had some issues on and off, but that was a couple of years back, and now it seems okay. Sometimes the performance of the cloud degrades, but there are workarounds.

We mainly use AKS, which is pretty scalable, so I don't see any issue there. Azure's scalability is relative, so it depends on the client and the solution. Most of our clients are B2B, so they don't have many users. However, we provide a retail banking solution that involves hundreds of transactions per hour. Azure can handle up to a hundred transactions per second can be supported, so I think it's okay.

We talk to Microsoft support often.

Azure setup is pretty straightforward and we mostly handle it in-house. However, it depends upon the complexity of the use case, how we are deploying, and the kind of application we are building. The build and deployment times depend on how we structure our packaging.

Azure is expensive, but that depends upon who you ask. It probably wouldn't be considered a significant expense for a large corporation, but it's costly for smaller enterprises or startups. Pricing is one area where Azure has room for improvement. There should be some due consideration. Azure has solved some issues with pricing from the development team's standpoint, but it is still quite costly. They should also offer a trial period for the individual platform solutions. I think that would be pretty handy for the developers.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure eight out of 10. I would recommend it. I don't see any challenges from a technology standpoint.

Microsoft Azure
Enterprise Technology Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Can be used to modernize environments and reduce the time spent on building infrastructures
  • "I think the most useful feature has been the remote desktop. It has been very helpful when customers have old applications that are not architected to run remotely."
  • "In my opinion, what could be improved is making the actual costs more predictable. It is very difficult to estimate the cost or the budget you are going to need to run your environment in Azure Cloud. You have to be a specialist to understand how you will be charged, which constantly changes."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using it to modernize customers' environments. We propose that the customers consider moving a number of things into the public cloud instead of building and maintaining everything on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization can focus more on real business problems instead of IT problems. It can also reduce the time spent setting up the infrastructure. This then makes the organization more agile and, in a lot of cases, more reliable. With the public cloud, if your design is okay, the chance of running into a serious outage is, in most cases, lower than that when relying on your own on-premise IT infrastructure, particularly in the case of companies with 50 to 500 people that typically don't have very big IT budgets.

What is most valuable?

I think the most useful feature has been the remote desktop. It has been very helpful when customers have old applications that are not architected to run remotely.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, what could be improved is making the actual costs more predictable. It is very difficult to estimate the cost or the budget you are going to need to run your environment in Azure Cloud. You have to be a specialist to understand how you will be charged, which constantly changes.

As for additional features, it would be great if the pricing could be cheaper for those trying to study and use the cloud. Having a discounted pricing scheme or even a free usage scheme, like a sandbox that is free to use on a continuous basis, for those who are studying would help them to actually generate more business later on. The more people learn to use the clouds, the more business they will actually attract.

They will start pushing solutions into the cloud, but if they have no time or opportunity to learn to use it, they will not be confident in proposing cloud solutions. So until they have been able to validate it in a test environment or a learning environment, they won't take the risk and propose a cloud solution.

I've been involved with this solution for one year.

I think Microsoft Azure is fairly stable. It also depends on how you set up your design.

As advertised, the scalability should never be an issue. The only thing that would stop you from scaling would be that your application has an architecture that is not scalable.

For public clouds, customer service/technical support is okay. In general, the documentation is very good.

For those who are familiar with Azure, the initial setup is not that complex. However, for those who are using Azure for the first time, it's probably a bit more involved because they may need to create their own virtual data centers in the cloud with the necessary security measures. I think that often this is a bit underestimated mostly because of a lack of knowledge on the part of the new customer.

Software licensing models can be expensive depending on what you need compared to open source solutions, for example. However, if you don't have the technical skills, you may be better off paying for a license and support instead of trying to use open source solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure at eight on a scale from one to ten.

I would advice others to take the time to study it carefully because there's a lot to understand and a lot to know before putting a solution in the clouds. Don't underestimate the complexity.

Hybrid Cloud
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cloud Arquitect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to set up, and very scalable but a bit complicated for large organizations
  • "The solution is very simple to set up."
  • "The solution needs a more integrated password feature."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a single point to check all our application metrics from tool to application.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very simple to set up.

What needs improvement?

Right now, in Azure, with the solution they offer, it's a bit complicated.

The application response time in particular consumes a lot of memory in terms of the CPU and application response time.

The control administration, every single control, every single application or service, has its independent dashboard. It's a bit complex to set up. It's simple to set up, however, when you want a metric for tracking or reporting, it's a bit difficult.

We've had issues with the login feature and have been looking into other solutions due to that ongoing problem.

The solution needs a more integrated password feature.

I've been using the solution for about two years.

The stability isn't that good as compared to AWS. Azure just seems to have more issues in general. It's not the worst, however, it's definitely not the best. We need to make a plan in case the percentage goes down.

We sometimes have issues with the Azure login. It's been a problem for the last few years. We've also had a data center fail.

The scalability of the solution is good. I personally haven't faced any constraints. Therefore, if a company needs to expand, I don't believe there to be a problem in it doing so.

I'm not sure of how many users are actually using the solution at our organization.

I'm not sure if we plan to increase usage or not.

I haven't been in touch with technical support, and therefore can't really speak to their responsiveness or knowledge about the product.

In terms of documentation, we're making our own in-house. We are creating the policies and procedures for how our monitoring should be and we are creating an inventory of which services we have and which metrics each service must have. It's a work in progress.

We're currently looking into different solutions as we've had some issues with Azure over the last few years.

We may have previously used a different solution, however, I might have been new to the company at the time and don't recall what it was.

It's really very straightforward to set up the solution. It's not complex at all. You just need to set up the features your need.

The solution doesn't require too much maintenance.

We usually use the subscription model Azure has. However, that doesn't include monitoring. We're looking at a new budget for that. It would be apart from the main Azure consumption.

However, I don't know the exact pricing. It's not part of the work I do.

What other advice do I have?

We're Azure partners. We have a business relationship with the company.

I'd advise others that Azure is good for monitoring for a small to mid-size organization. For those, it works well. For very complex scenarios, it will be difficult to manage.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten. It's much to complicated for larger organizations.

Senior Director at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Reasonable pricing with intuitive UI but reaching support is difficult
  • "We have found the user interface to be intuitive. Microsoft is a master at UI."
  • "You don't get support from Microsoft very easily as compared to other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cost reasons, for example, when a client's hardware refresh is coming and they don't want to incur the cost on the hardware. We also use it for capacity as, when they buy hardware, those are constrained by capacity.

What is most valuable?

The analytics services are the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The product has many useful features on offer.

We have found the user interface to be intuitive. Microsoft is a master at UI.

The stability is okay.

The solution has the potential to scale.

We have found the pricing to be reasonable.

What needs improvement?

You don't get support from Microsoft very easily as compared to other solutions. For example, AWS. If I reach out to AWS, their PDM team is very quick to respond. The Microsoft Azure team does not.

The downtime could be a bit better. AWS has less downtime.

The solution needs to scale as well as AWS, which scales much better.

I've been using the solution for four to five years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability is okay. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. However, AWS seems to be a bit better.

In terms of downtime, if you look at the reporting side, if you look at the Gartner report, it shows that AWS experienced significantly fewer outages as compared to Azure.

In my experience, I've seen AWS as a little bit more robust in terms of scalability and its features as compared to Azure. That said, Azure is improving every day. Still, AWS seems to be ahead in terms of scalability.

Technical support is not very responsive. They are quite slow.

While the team may be capable, the processes set up around are really bad. If you have to reach out to someone to get technical support, it takes hours and hours of effort to get to them.

The initial setup is neither easy nor difficult. It's somewhere between straightforward and complex. Usually, with our clients, we don't get straightforward projects. However, we can't say they are the most complex out there either.

We tend to do setups for our clients.

The pricing is fair. It's not overly expensive.

Lately, I have been researching technical comparisons between Azure and AWS for SAP HANA 2.0 migration from on-premises to the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

We are Azure partners.

I'm mainly providing services to my customers, and therefore am not necessarily an end-user.

For the most part, I would recommend Azure. However, we cannot just recommend Azure blindly. Azure suits mostly the customers that are using the Microsoft suite of products. It brings your own licenses into the play so that you don't end up with another cloud. If you're using Microsoft products, then Azure is a straight fit for you. You should not evaluate any other cloud. However, if you're not using the Microsoft suite of products, if you're using MS Skills, running Solaris, and all of those things, then you have to evaluate which cloud is better.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, scales well, good interface, and provisioning a server is fast
  • "Provisioning a server is fast, taking only one or two minutes before it is ready."
  • "At this point, the latency is too high to use Azure in our production environment."

What is our primary use case?

We have a private cloud, but we are interested in having a hybrid cloud that includes Microsoft Azure. This use of it as an Infrastructure as a Service will help us to expand our scale using our hardware.

Primarily, we use Azure to test services and solutions that we want to use on the public cloud. Nothing in production is being used on Azure yet because of latency.

What is most valuable?

Azure is helpful when you want to set up a server, such as a Linux test server. For example, we can transfer our code to the test server and do a comparison.

This solution is easy to use. It has quite a good interface for things like provisioning a server.

Provisioning a server is fast, taking only one or two minutes before it is ready. In our private cloud, this process still takes longer.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for data streaming in the future because I understand that currently, data streaming is not there. It would work like Kafka does, in Microsoft Azure. If they can provide the Platform as a Service and Infrastructure as a Service, it will be better.

For example, if want to use Kafka, I should be able to purchase Microsoft Azure and then use my Kafka license. This would also give me support. Right now, using it requires first getting a server through Infrastructure as a Service, then getting a Kafka license, then installing the server in the cloud.

We started using Microsoft Azure last year.

Azure is a scalable product. We are not using it extensively yet because we just started exploring it for use as a testing server. However, if we are satisfied with the security and issues with latency then we are going to set up performance tests.

We have not had any issues with support. The interface is quite user-friendly, so we have not needed to contact them. I think that they do have assistance available for onboarding, or creating a server.

We did evaluate other solutions but that is the job of another team in the company. I was only told that we also tried Google Cloud.

The initial setup is straightforward. Microsoft Azure provides an easy interface to log in and create a server.

The pricing is flexible. Our company engaged in negotiations to get a better price, which resulted in a two-year contract.

It seems that the cost of using the service in the short term is definitely good. However, in the long-term it is different. The long-term cost is higher than if you set up the servers on-premises, which is something that could be improved through more competitive pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Our usage is rather limited right now but for what we use it for, the product is quite good and we are satisfied with the services. This is a product that I can recommend for anybody who does not want to invest a lot of money in their own hardware.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

ManuelVallejo - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Useful for data analytics, artificial intelligence, and helps you get more value from your cloud investment no matter what your future goals are
  • "With the Azure solution, you can get more value from your cloud investment no matter what your future goals are. It depends on your level of familiarity with the cloud you are using or with your computing. Azure helps you with every stage of the cloud."
  • "Something that could be added to the solution is the use of deep learning, which is going to grow in the near future."

What is our primary use case?

Azure is a big world with potential things that we have to check and learn. We have Azure as the data analytics, artificial intelligence, and much more. I work with technology like Microsoft, Symantec, and with Azure connectivity online, like SaaS.

We are integrators for AWS and Azure.

I don't know the exact number of users because we work with different customers. So one customer is only servicing one, another customer has probably 300, another customer has probably 500. We have different customers with a different number of users that use this technology.

What is most valuable?

With the Azure solution, you can get more value from your cloud investment no matter what your future goals are. It depends on your level of familiarity with the cloud you are using or with your computing. Azure helps you with every stage of the cloud. When you start using Azure, you don't even buy it. It's just a simple sign-in and a free account, and you get free services. It's a great way to get into that kind of technology. That's why I've been using this solution for almost eight years.

They have a feature from the network, the communication, so the firewall is the most communication that we can find when we try to work with the Azure platform. Perhaps it's our environment, and that not all the customers are familiar with how to work with cloud technologies. For that reason, it's the most communication that we can find. I am in the Azure service sales, and that is one of the features that can help you to stay informed and take any action in the area that you found a thing generated for.

It has a personalized dashboard for service issues. You can check the Azure service help, and you can find any issue that you have in your platform. It's a safe point to check when you have an issue, so you can manage the issue and learn how to track that issue, and you can more effectively execute plans that you have to scale or that you have to put in action using Azure bots.

They have free coursework that you can check on the website, and a free update that you can find for SQL server security. We are more familiar with Azure, so maybe we have to wait a couple of years to get more familiar with AWS.

What needs improvement?

Something that could be added to the solution is the use of deep learning, which is going to grow in the near future.

We are waiting for a new version, a new RFID for Azure Virtual Desktop AD 1, or Virtual Live Desktop AD 1. It really needs a whole new platform, because I think their platform has the best opportunity to offer features like HORIZONT.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is to just read and keep in touch. The technology is something that I have to read about every day, keep in touch with, study, take courses, and take certifications. So, currently, the best advice I can give to anyone is to keep updated.

Every time you check online you can find a new feature from Azure. The world of Azure is so big, so there is plenty of information that you can find, check, and test.

CTO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Cloud-based, stable, simple to install, and with good advanced-level support
  • "It is easy to install."
  • "A good strategy would be to include a feature for integrating with external ecosystems."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. We use Microsoft to provide a service to our customers.

We offer SaaS software for the marketplace.

We offer SaaS software for the B2B marketplace and provide solutions to our customers through public cloud infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

We have yet to explore this solution and what it has to offer because we are still in the transformation phase from Amazon to Azure.

What needs improvement?

It could be more open to external solutions.

Integration with other ecosystems would be beneficial. During this transitional period, this is our primary concern. For example, when we offer solutions to our customers, we must connect to their IT ecosystem, which we are unable to do in some cases.

We would also like to improve the security.

We switched from Amazon to Azure six months ago.

In the short time that we have been using this solution, it appears to be stable enough for our needs.

We work with 50 companies that use this solution on a daily basis.

We have no issues with the technical support. It's fine.

We needed to find someone who could help us. It depends on the support contract you have with Microsoft.

The standard level of support was obviously insufficient for us, and we had to resort to a more advanced level of support for partners who had complex technical questions. This meant that there would be some additional support costs, but everything would be fine once you made that decision.

We use Auth0, which is an IAM-based solution.

We are using an identification solution provided by a cloud provider. We are based on Azure. We work with a Microsoft Azure infrastructure, and we use the solution provided by Microsoft to authenticate the users.

It is easy to install.

It took us a few months to deploy. I did not take a lot of time to move to Azure but moving to another infrastructure using microservice takes longer.

We are coming from a moderate approach to installation and going for a modular one that is based on microservices.

To be able to manage the microservices, we made some modifications.

The length of time it took to complete the implementation was primarily due to changes we made to the infrastructure that was required for our customers.

We have a dedicated team of ten people who will deploy and manage the infrastructure.

We have a separate Dev team for the application itself.

Customers pay for our software and use our solution as a service through monthly payments. They don't pay the licensing fee directly to Microsoft.

We provide a solution as a service to our customers. They pay us for our services, which are based on Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this solution to others who are considering using it.

I would rate Microsoft Azure an eight out of ten.

Sarith Sasidharan - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
Reliable, has easy provisioning, and offers good integration capabilities
  • "The solution offers very good upgrades and updates regularly."
  • "Technical support is lacking right now. It needs to be better."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the product as an infrastructure as a service. I'm basically using it to host services.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy to provision. This is one of its most valuable aspects.

The solution offers pretty good integration capabilities at this time.

We've found the pricing to be pretty good so far. It's not too expensive.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The stability is quite good. It's a reliable product.

We have found the scalability to be very good.

The solution offers very good upgrades and updates regularly.

What needs improvement?

The product can be a bit confusing at times. It's not well laid out. The interface, for example, can be a bit hard to figure out and they seem to be constantly changing things on us.

It's a rather new product and therefore lacks the maturity of other options. There is much they can do to add to it and to improve it. That may likely come with more time.

Up until two or so years ago, they weren't even accepting customer feedback on the solution. They've just started to do so, and they have given users a sense that improvements will be on the way sometime in the future.

Technical support is lacking right now. It needs to be better.

We've been using the solution for more than 12 months at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance, overall, has been rather reliable for our organization.

The product has the capability to expand. If a company needs to scale it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

Technical support needs to be better. We are not quite satisfied with their level of support. They need to be more responsive to use when we have queries.

We actually use Amazon as well. We did use it before, however, we are also still using it. We use both Azure and Amazon at this time.

We did not find the initial setup to be too complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company should be able to handle the deployment without too many issues.

The pricing is decent. We don't find that they are charging too much. It's pretty fair.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud deployment, the solution is constantly updating itself, therefore we always have access to the latest release.

We have about 300 to 400 users on it currently. It's a business unit with various users of different job descriptions.

We are planning to increase the usage in the future.

I'm not sure if the company will use this solution for the long term or if they are considering trying something new. That is yet to be determined.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're mostly quite happy with it in general.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Azure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022