Nestor Raul Quintana Martinez - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultor en Seguridad de la Información at ISS
Fast and easy to setup with a nice DNS-Layer of security
  • "Cisco Umbrella is such a solution and can be implemented very fast and easy. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that are going to use in Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service."
  • "There are cheaper solutions in the market"

What is our primary use case?

The Cisco Umbrella solution offers protection to everyone that will be connected to the internet because Umbrella provides a DNS-layer of security. When someone connects to the internet or they set up the DNS service, that person will use the Umbrella service and the extra layer of Umbrella. All their traits are to be located before they get to the device that the person is using to connect to the internet.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella can be implemented very fast and easily. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that is going to use Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service.

Cisco Umbrella is such a solution and can be implemented very fast and easily. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that is going to use in Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service.

There are cheaper solutions in the market, but when we say that we work with Cisco, usually we must handle the security architecture of Cisco more than a single product, so we can be successful in selling the security solutions.

Cisco Umbrella
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Umbrella at an eight on a scale of ten. I rate it at an eight because there must be something to improve in Umbrella.

Spider Solutions CTO at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Affordable, easy to use, with good visibility
  • "It offers good visibility for the Administrator. The administrator has full visibility of what is blocked or has the knowledge of where users go when they are surfing the internet."
  • "I would like to see more integrability with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella for protecting the web surfing channel.

When users are accessing the internet, mainly for web surfing,  Umbrella will protect the access to the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

It's very Robust.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integrability with other products.

If I could take this information and integrate it with other products, it would be beneficial.

We have been using Cisco Umbrella for two years.

We are using the latest version.

We have no issues with the stability of the Cisco Umbrella.

Cisco Umbrella is a scalable product.

We have 100 users in our organization who are using this solution.

Technical support is fine.

For us, the installation was very easy.

We had the option of using the on-premises device, which would give you better visibility, but we didn't use it. This choice made the installation very easy.

The licensing fee is paid on a yearly basis.

The price is okay. I don't have any issues with the price of the Cisco Umbrella.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella an eight out of ten.

Cisco Umbrella
December 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Business Solutions, UK&I at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is stable and scalable but quite immature at the moment

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide cloud-based security services for our customers.

What is most valuable?

We've found it to be stable and good for our customers.

What needs improvement?

It's a very new product, so it's quite immature at the moment. It can be more user friendly.

We took it in our company a couple of months ago.

It is stable.

It is very scalable. We've got it for very big customers. We probably have several thousand users.

I have not personally interacted with them because we have staff that does that on our behalf.

We switched because we just wanted to be in the Cisco ecosystem, not specifically because other products from other companies were not good enough.

I wasn't involved in that.

There is a subscription cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Director at seamlessinfotech.com
A cloud security service with valuable data and intelligence built-in
  • "I like that it integrates with the infrastructure. I also like the kind of data and intelligence that's built-in. It helps create innovative reports for security."
  • "It could be more secure. It would be better if they provided a transferring proxy as an add-on and more integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella for monitoring and more.

What is most valuable?

I like that it integrates with the infrastructure. I also like the kind of data and intelligence that's built-in. It helps create innovative reports for security.

What needs improvement?

I have been dealing with Cisco Umbrella for two and a half years.

Cisco Umbrella is a stable solution.

Cisco Umbrella is very scalable at the cloud level. All you have to do is increase the internet bandwidth and pay for the license.

Technical support is excellent.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It was simple.

The price depends on the use case, and it's a bit linear. But it depends on the customer's strategy and how Cisco plans to optimize the costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Umbrella a ten.

Veerendra Ganta - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at Datasoft Comnet
A stable cloud-delivered security solution with a useful DNS security feature

What is most valuable?

We like Cisco Umbrella because of DNS security. It's one step ahead of whatever we are using for regular web filtering. In that way, it's more secure than other web filtering products.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The price is definitely a bit high, but we have to pay a premium for Cisco products.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for more than a year.

It's a stable product.

Cisco Umbrella is scalable.

Technical support is helpful and provides quick and fast resolutions.

The initial setup is very easy. Even the integrations are very easy.

Cisco Umbrella is expensive and could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this product to other users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Umbrella a ten.

Cyber Security Consultant at flydubai
A good cloud-based solution for DNS security, but its on-prem rollout is quite challenging
  • "It is a good cloud-based solution for DNS security."
  • "Its on-prem rollout is quite challenging. It needs better coordination with the Internet Service Provider. It is a cloud-based solution, and any endpoint that connects to it has to go through all the gateway ISPs, but some of the ISPs block HTTPS-based DNS. That's where the challenge occurs with Umbrella."

What is most valuable?

It is a good cloud-based solution for DNS security.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

Its scalability is good.

I have not interacted with them because it is done through the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

They need to engage the local service provider to do the technology improvements, such as for HTTPS-based DNS, which is a primary requirement for the customers.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Download our free Cisco Umbrella Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022