IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
MD.SIHAB TALUKDAR - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Stable, integrates well, and is easy to install
  • "What we like most is security and how easy it is to integrate with other appliances."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the integration of VDI NSX with Cisco Umbrella."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for DNS security that is integrated with Active Directory. We are also using public DNS connectivity for the filtering of underlying threats.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The different levels of security, such as backend security and internet security, need improvement. In the next release, I would like to see the integration of VDI NSX with Cisco Umbrella.

We have been using the entire Cisco Solution for three years.
Cisco Umbrella
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In the two years that I have been using this product, it has been stable. We have not had problems.

It's a scalable solution.

My experience with technical support is that when you open a case, you get better support. I ordered a part and was told that it was not available. When I opened a case, it was better.

In addition to Cisco Umbrella, we are using Cisco Firepower.  We use the entire Cisco solution that includes Cisco Umbrella, Cisco AMP for Endpoint, and Cisco Firepower.

The initial setup is easy. It took a day to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

We use the entire Cisco solution and we are happy with the product integration. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Solutions Pvt at iDesign Data Solutions Pvt.Ltd.
Analyzes the domain security and helps us implement the securest policy
  • "It analyzes the domain security helps us implement the securest policy."
  • "I would like to see integration with SecurNX in the future."

What is most valuable?

I think Umbrella is good enough as of now. It has the security of domains. It analyzes the domain security and helps us implement the securest policy. This feature is presently not being provided with other technologies. It's a multi-tenant solution. Multi-tenancy MSSP packages, they're all ready. As well as any cost amounting deployment security coverages with DNS and intelligence policy of production and protocols.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with SecurNX in the future.

We have contacted Cisco technical support a number of times for Cisco They are two hundred percent. They are very efficient. Any kind of support you can stay with Cisco. We don't have any issues with technical support.

The initial setup is traightforward. There is no complexity in the setup. The setup took minutes only.

Setup and maintenance are done by our own team.

It is not a very expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Umbrella is a very good product as of now as there is no competition. It is an excellent product. It is, actually, a must for our organization. It is not a very expensive product. I would rate Cisco Umbrella at a ten on a scale of ten.

Cisco Umbrella
July 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Business Solutions, UK&I at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is stable and scalable but quite immature at the moment

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide cloud-based security services for our customers.

What is most valuable?

We've found it to be stable and good for our customers.

What needs improvement?

It's a very new product, so it's quite immature at the moment. It can be more user friendly.

We took it in our company a couple of months ago.

It is stable.

It is very scalable. We've got it for very big customers. We probably have several thousand users.

I have not personally interacted with them because we have staff that does that on our behalf.

We switched because we just wanted to be in the Cisco ecosystem, not specifically because other products from other companies were not good enough.

I wasn't involved in that.

There is a subscription cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Director at seamlessinfotech.com
A cloud security service with valuable data and intelligence built-in
  • "I like that it integrates with the infrastructure. I also like the kind of data and intelligence that's built-in. It helps create innovative reports for security."
  • "It could be more secure. It would be better if they provided a transferring proxy as an add-on and more integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella for monitoring and more.

What is most valuable?

I like that it integrates with the infrastructure. I also like the kind of data and intelligence that's built-in. It helps create innovative reports for security.

What needs improvement?

I have been dealing with Cisco Umbrella for two and a half years.

Cisco Umbrella is a stable solution.

Cisco Umbrella is very scalable at the cloud level. All you have to do is increase the internet bandwidth and pay for the license.

Technical support is excellent.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It was simple.

The price depends on the use case, and it's a bit linear. But it depends on the customer's strategy and how Cisco plans to optimize the costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Umbrella a ten.

Tetsuya Suenaga - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager and Senior Consultant at NTT DATA
Easy to tailor to our client's environment and needs
  • "The user interface is great. It's very easy to tailor to our client's environment and needs."
  • "I would like to see more integration between Cisco Umbrella and Cisco DNA Center."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers used an older version of Cisco, but we proposed Cisco Umbrella for their POC phase.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There should be some programs for the POC phase.

I would like to see more integration between Cisco Umbrella and Cisco DNA center

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for one and a half years.

Cisco Umbrella is very stable.

The support is very good.

The price of Cisco Umbrella is a little higher than similar solutions; however, I am not exactly sure what the price difference is.

We compared Cisco Umbrella to other solutions including vScaler and Palo Alto.

Integration is better with Cisco. Cisco Umbrella performed very well compared to vScaler and other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Veerendra Ganta - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at Datasoft Comnet
A stable cloud-delivered security solution with a useful DNS security feature

What is most valuable?

We like Cisco Umbrella because of DNS security. It's one step ahead of whatever we are using for regular web filtering. In that way, it's more secure than other web filtering products.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The price is definitely a bit high, but we have to pay a premium for Cisco products.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for more than a year.

It's a stable product.

Cisco Umbrella is scalable.

Technical support is helpful and provides quick and fast resolutions.

The initial setup is very easy. Even the integrations are very easy.

Cisco Umbrella is expensive and could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this product to other users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Umbrella a ten.

Systems Support Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, fast, and effective cloud-delivered security

What is our primary use case?

Generally, we use Cisco Umbrella to prevent DNS attacks within the LAN. As we are a data center, that is our main use case.

Within our organization, there are roughly 500 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

It's good for local communication with the data center and LAN.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for one and a half years.

Stability-wise, it's good. I have never encountered any bugs.

The technical support is very good.

Actually, we recently switched over to Zscaler because it has more features and it's more scalable than Cisco Umbrella.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, so I can't comment on that.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco Umbrella to other interested companies. It's a very flexible and secure application — it's very good.

Overall, I would give Cisco Umbrella a rating of 10 out of 10.

Cyber Security Consultant at flydubai
A good cloud-based solution for DNS security, but its on-prem rollout is quite challenging
  • "It is a good cloud-based solution for DNS security."
  • "Its on-prem rollout is quite challenging. It needs better coordination with the Internet Service Provider. It is a cloud-based solution, and any endpoint that connects to it has to go through all the gateway ISPs, but some of the ISPs block HTTPS-based DNS. That's where the challenge occurs with Umbrella."

What is most valuable?

It is a good cloud-based solution for DNS security.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

Its scalability is good.

I have not interacted with them because it is done through the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

They need to engage the local service provider to do the technology improvements, such as for HTTPS-based DNS, which is a primary requirement for the customers.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Download our free Cisco Umbrella Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022