Network Engineer & Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup but the pricing could be better
  • "The solution is extremely stable. It has excellent performance."
  • "The pricing could always be a little bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is similar to a web security appliance. However, it is like filtering on a cloud base, not on-premise. Basically, it is not fully mature, which means it's not yet ready to replace the WSA, however, over a period of time, it could to a certain extent. It's a cloud solution to protect against fake domain IDs. It can be your filtering solution and can also do a few other things with the other features on it.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's a cloud solution.

The best part of Cisco is that Cisco has the second-largest security service cloud for security background checks. That is the big advantage of the Cisco security portfolio.

The solution is extremely stable. It has excellent performance.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The pricing is reasonable. You can negotiate contracts with Cisco.

Integration is very easy. It's not that complicated. Out of two clients, one had an easy integration, which was something new for me. That said, it did take time as it was the initial setup for me.

What needs improvement?

There are always little items that can be fixed in any solution, however, I don't have any specific complaints.

The first time you set up the solution and have integrations, it may be a bit difficult, however, it gets easier.

The pricing could always be a little bit better.

I've been using the solution for about two to three years at this point.

I have been working with Cisco in general since 2013 or 2012.

Cisco Umbrella
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good so far.

We only have two clients on this solution. There's no more than that. There may be 200 users in total. One client had 150 users and the other had around 100 users.

The product has three visions, it depends on what license you want, or the requirement, to be more precise. Whether you're from an adaptation center, or enterprise center, or utility center, it has different flavors for different kinds of customers.

Cisco's technical support has always been quite good. We're quite happy with the level of service they provide to clients.

One of our clients did use a different solution. We ended up replacing it with Cisco Umbrella.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's a very straightforward installation. In terms of the deployment, it hardly will take more than an hour to two. At that point, it is up and running. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the initial setup.

That said, security is always an ongoing process. It's a security product and therefore there's always work to do with it.

The solution has three types of licenses that cover a variety of different company types.

In terms of a commercial contract, it's about getting a discount, which you can arrange for the clients more often than not, so it's fine. It is not overly expensive.

That said, I have not pitched Cisco Umbrella for any clients for the last six to eight months. Due to COVID, I'm not getting a time or interest for doing any POC on this right now.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Cisco.

I haven't done any POCs with this solution in the last 10 months or so, and I only have two clients on the product.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it at a seven out of ten overall. We've been mostly happy with the product.

Network Manager at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
It is user-friendly and very easy to manage, but their support should be more efficient
  • "It is user-friendly. It is easy to manage the solution."
  • "Their support should be improved. It is necessary that the support is efficient. It is not really easy to get a resolution for an issue from Cisco support. They should be faster and more efficient."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for user navigation. We have another solution for the server, and Umbrella is used for the people in the company for web access and security purposes. It helps to avoid security problems and authorize different types of access to the users for different web services.

How has it helped my organization?

I am a network administrator, and for me, it is the best solution because it is easy to manage. It is also effective for web access for the users.

With the old solution, we had a lot of restrictions because it was old technology and it was very important to provide different types of access. Umbrella is a cloud solution, and we can add access to new services or websites. It is a good product.

It is totally transparent for the users. When you have Cisco Umbrella on your computer, you cannot really see the product. It is very important for the users to not see the product.

It is very easy to manage, which is really important. We do not have time to manage this solution, and it is really important to have a good performance without any action or monitoring from my team. We work with Umbrella every day, but we don't need to make any changes on Umbrella because it is working.

It is easy to maintain network connectivity consistently across all workplaces, and it has been a good experience for our employees.

It provides resilience on all the sites. We have five sites, and all the sites have Umbrella.

What is most valuable?

It is user-friendly. It is easy to manage the solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about three to four years.

It is very stable. I do not have a problem with this. We only had one bug three months ago, and we had a problem with the support, but before that, it has been a good experience.

It is scalable. We deployed it on different sites of the company. We use it for a lot of different services.

We have about 600 users, but we have 1,000 licenses. We might increase its usage.

Cisco Umbrella's support is not really efficient. When we have a problem, it is difficult to have good support. It is not really easy to resolve a problem with Cisco support. Three months ago, we had a problem with it, and the support was not very efficient. I would rate them a six out of ten.

Neutral

We had a French solution. It was an old solution, and it was not sufficient for the company. Cisco Umbrella has been the best for our company.

It is not really easy, but because we have experts with us, it was not complex for us. We did this in one month because it was really important to give good services to the users.

We have seen an ROI, but it is hard to provide metrics.

We did a good negotiation, and at the moment, its price is fine.

I didn't look at other options. I only tested Cisco Umbrella.

What other advice do I have?

It has probably helped us to remediate threats more quickly. It is a good solution for user devices but probably not for servers.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Cisco Umbrella
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dustin Funkhouser - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and security at Education Service Center - Region 11
I can create custom policies for bad domains that we want to block
  • "When it comes to hybrid work it's pretty effective. We've got the agents. We can protect people inside our building and, when they're using their laptops out in the field, they're still protected. It's working well."
  • "If we're trying to deploy it to a Mac through Meraki, it's impossible. The method of deployment for a Mac, and the features available in Meraki, are not compatible at all."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our users from getting to any known bad domains.

How has it helped my organization?

It does what it's supposed to do, protecting us from getting to somewhere that we shouldn't.

The solution also helps us remediate threats more quickly. Examples are when an email campaign comes in with malicious links, or if they're on a website like Facebook which is full of junk that doesn't need to come through.

What is most valuable?

Domain blocking is among the most valuable features. It keeps people from accidentally clicking on something they shouldn't. Also, if I see an email that comes through, I can pick out bad domains that we want to block and make custom policies to block them.

In addition, when it comes to hybrid work it's pretty effective. We've got the agents. We can protect people inside our building and, when they're using their laptops out in the field, they're still protected. It's working well.

The single pane of glass management is also pretty helpful because we don't have to hunt for what we're trying to work on.

What needs improvement?

Getting to some of the reporting features is something that could be improved. When I am tracking someone that has done something, my first hint is usually an email, because I've got those scheduled to come in every so often. But then I've got to log in, dig into that user, find the time period, and then export it. There's a lot of waiting involved through all of those steps.

It would be helpful if there were an embedded link in the email so that when it says it blocked something in particular, I wouldn't have to click through five or six different things to get what was blocked in that email. With a link like that, I could just click from within the notification email and it would take me straight to that page.

I've been using Cisco Umbrella for five years.

I haven't had any issues when using it.

Scaling it is pretty easy. Every time we need to put it on a machine, it's just part of the deployment process.

There are a lot of features that I haven't used. They've been doing a lot of work on it recently and I was talking to one of our Cisco reps who talked about some things we can do with it that we're not doing yet.

I haven't had to use technical support.

It's continuously deployed because, if we wipe out a computer, we've got to put the agent back on it. If we have to put it on a Windows machine, it's easy. If we're trying to deploy it to a Mac through Meraki, it's impossible. The method of deployment for a Mac, and the features available in Meraki, are not compatible at all. Getting it to the point where you could deploy a Cisco product with a Cisco product would be beneficial.

What other advice do I have?

Umbrella is pretty invisible to our employees. Most of them don't know we're using it. There isn't a lot of user training involved, as long as your security people can get in there and do what they need to do.

It's a great tool because you can effectively block a lot of things that can infect your machines. People don't realize they're getting something that's malicious.

Overall, it has been pretty helpful for what we're using it for.

Jessica Boutin - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Blocks a lot of threats and that means we don't have to remediate them
  • "The most valuable features for us include tenant lock, content filtering, and DLP solutions, looking for PII and information being exfiltrated."
  • "There are a couple of different pieces that have different portals. I know they're working on getting them all into one portal, but that's probably the biggest thing that needs improvement right now. It's not a single pane of glass yet."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking to solve multiple challenges, from DLP all the way through to regular content filtering offsite for our hybrid and remote employees.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Cisco Umbrella has brought us into compliance with our customers on a number of points.

Also, it's very important that the solution helps support hybrid work. That was one of the main reasons we got it. About 45 to 50 percent of our employees are either fully remote or hybrid. We needed a solution that would follow them home.

In addition, it's very helpful for securing infrastructure from end to end and detecting threats. It's blocking a lot of stuff, so we don't even have to remediate. It's blocking things before they get to us.

Resilience in cyber security is very helpful and this product has increased our security posture quite a bit.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us include

• Tenant lock
  • Content filtering
  • DLP solutions, looking for PII and information being exfiltrated.

Also, the policies are applied wherever you go, and that's good.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of different pieces that have different portals. I know they're working on getting them all into one portal, but that's probably the biggest thing that needs improvement right now. It's not a single pane of glass yet.

I've been using Cisco Umbrella for about a year.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the product.

The scalability is very good and that's another one of the reasons that we chose this product. You can slowly ramp up the policies. You don't have to build it all at once. We started small and have been deploying more and more of the features of the full SIG Essentials package that we have. We can add more users when need be. It scales on a policy and a user and a deployment basis.

We have about 400 end-users and five sites. We use the AnyConnect module on the local workstations.

The solution's technical support has been very good. I haven't had to call them very much, but the technical support has been good when I have needed it.

Neutral

Previously, our users were only in-house and we had internal firewalls that were doing a lot of this work. But now that they're hybrid, we had to come up with a new solution.

We evaluated Prisma because we have Palo Alto firewalls, but it was more expensive and more difficult to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think our workers like it all that much. It has actually made employee morale worse because we block a lot of stuff. But that's not really the product's fault. It's our policy. It makes things a little bit more cumbersome for them, but it definitely makes us feel safer.

I would tell leaders who want to build more resilience within their workplaces to do it. It's important because one hack and your business is done. Your reputation is everything in this day and age. Being resilient and being able to recover from that type of stuff before you're actually exfiltrated is a big deal.

Overall, Cisco Umbrella is pretty easy to use, pretty easy to deploy, and it does what we want it to do.

Michael Abadeer - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Security Operations Manager at BeyondTrust
Securing DNS, specifically for the remote workforce we have today, fills a big gap
  • "It enables us to go granular in the customization of blocking some categories on the DNS."
  • "Having ready-to-go templates with best practices is definitely something that would be an improvement. Deployment, from day one, is something that definitely needs to be improved for Cisco customers."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for DNS filtration across all data centers, offices, and remote users.

How has it helped my organization?

The blocking of all the non-malicious traffic from DNS request queries has been huge. DNS is very important from a security perspective. Securing this layer, specifically for the remote users and the remote workforce that we're seeing today, is definitely a big gap that needed to be filled.

The DNS Umbrella agent is already installed on the core machine. So from day one, when our CEO sent all employees to work remotely, all we had to do was flip a switch to have a DNS filter on all core machines.

The visibility that Umbrella gives us into what a user is doing, versus what we want to block, is huge. It's not that we're policing things. It's just a matter of watching and having visibility. We're definitely not going to block every domain, but having visibility is very big.

What is most valuable?

It enables us to go granular in the customization of blocking some categories on the DNS.

Also managing all the DNS aspects from one portal is definitely great from a security perspective. Sometimes we get a malicious URL in a phishing campaign on the email side. Blocking a domain across the whole company in one minute is definitely great. To block a DNS request very quickly you just add the domain to the Global Block List and in one second it's blocked.

Another feature that is good in Umbrella is applying and maintaining network connectivity consistently across all workplaces. You can go through the categories and do templates based on the sites, such as a data center or a branch and apply policies based on that.

What needs improvement?

Having ready-to-go templates with best practices is definitely something that would be an improvement. Deployment, from day one, is something that definitely needs to be improved for Cisco customers.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for four years.

The stability is a 10 out of 10.

The scalability is also a 10 out of 10. We use it across all the company's offices and data centers. We have 1,500 users.

The Umbrella service itself is great. Sometimes, with technical support, we go through "tag" problems, but otherwise, it's pretty smooth.

Neutral

We did not have a previous solution. We used to use CWS, which was Umbrella before it was named Umbrella.

The ROI is visible in the portal through the executive reports. They show how many times we block malicious sites. Management definitely gets a view of the fact that we're blocking a lot of malicious domains with Umbrella.

We have a security Enterprise Agreement with Cisco, so the pricing is good. We take many security products in one agreement, so we have no complaints about the price.

What other advice do I have?

From a DNS perspective, Cisco Umbrella is the number-one technology now.

Samuel-Emesoronye - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Architect at Signal Allinace
Excellent support, but this should be available on a regional basis
  • "I like the original functionality, which allows for providing secure DNS services."
  • "The integration with Cisco could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the most updated version, although I cannot definitively give the number. I believe it is 1.6.

What is most valuable?

I like the original functionality, which allows for providing secure DNS services. To define that, one's users can be on-net or off-net. This can be either in one's office or a remote location. This is the functionality that I find to be most prevalent in the area.

What needs improvement?

While the way the solution works with the functions is fantastic, updates or the ability to secure the vault while offline for cloud-based services should be addressed.

The integration with Cisco could be better. We already have something along these lines and so far so good.

Local support should also be provided, so that there will not be a need to lump us in with the European pool. For other products, Cisco does have local support. There is a local number which can be reached should the need arise. The support should be more regionalized, as we are talking about an endpoint to endpoint solution. Owing to the number of people who interface with the tool and the response time, local support should be provided. The local support job should handle the app of Cisco Meraki.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for over a year.

Cisco Talks is just about the best technical assistance center in the world. I have no complaints or issues with it.

In the past I worked with Checkpoint Harmony, which is a similar tool that provides a certain level of endpoint support to users and a measure of coverage.

I like the responsiveness of the technical assistance center of Cisco Talks. As such, I will always go with Cisco. It was thanks to the technical assistance center that I went with Checkpoint Harmony on one occasion.

For organizations in which I have been involved, I start off easy and then proceed to compliant, since there is a need to ensure that one does not overly complicate his work. The deployment for each person is generally very difficult. We start with easy, at which point we are encouraged to have a good grasp of the technology, without which the entire environment will be locked down and nobody will be able to do anything. As such, I start with easy and migrate the customers to compliant over time.

Each environment has two people who are responsible for deployment.

In the region I'm from, that of EMAR, Europe, the Middle East, Eastern Asia and Africa, our organizations do not have many liquid cash assets, so the price could be better.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution both internally and externally, as the company for which I work, Signal Alliance, is a systems integrator.

One should keep an open mind when it comes to using the solution, start off easy and then proceed to compliant.

I rate Cisco Umbrella as a seven out of ten.

Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Secure and flexible with no latency issues, and it is easy to set up
  • "I haven't found any issues related to latency or any other issue."
  • "Cisco Umbrella should introduce an on-premises device."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers for all Cisco products.

We have contracted a couple of schools for a proof of concept for the customers who purchase Cisco Umbrella. We have also deployed it to virtual machines in the customer's environment.

We have also deployed Active Directory connectors, and we have directed the customer's traffic towards Cisco Umbrella and their DNS Service.

We have also monitored and provided a course for the customers.

This product can be used for DNS security. DNS security basically provides protection because Cisco thinks that 90% of the attacks come from DNS. So, they warn us that if customers protect the DNS, then they are 90% secure.

Instead of resolving their domains through normal global DNS servers, this solution provides security.

Cisco Umbrella grades all of the domains that are present in its own grading and specifies which are malicious, which are whitelisted, which are not safe, which domains have recently been, and which show some spike in the graph that sometimes they come up and suddenly they go offline.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella is very flexible, and it does not show any kind of delay that someone is responding to their DNS server, outside of their network and outside of their environment.

I haven't found any issues related to latency or any other issue.

They have Umbrella Investigate, which uses machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to find malicious attacks in the domains.

What needs improvement?

There should be some sort of appliance for those customers who do not trust the cloud. Cisco Umbrella should introduce an on-premises device.

Customers should have the ability to manage on-premises.

While support is provided, the response time could be faster.

I have been acquainted with Cisco Umbrella for two years.

We are providing the latest version.

Cisco Umbrella is scalable. We provide services to customers. We have some customers who have been using this solution for one and a half years.

I have contacted technical support. My experience is that it is a bit slow. The response is a bit slow, but they provide support.

People have many queries online. In terms of the support, they may be a bit delayed but ultimately the problem will be resolved.

Before Cisco Umbrella, there wasn't any security product.

There is a product called Infoblox, but I haven't used it.

The installation is pretty straightforward and it only took 10 minutes to deploy.

We require only one person for the deployment and the maintenance of this solution, who understands it technically.

We are system integrators and we do the implementation ourselves for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

We will continue to sell this product.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a nine out of ten.

John Okunade - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A cloud-delivered security solution with a useful DNS layer security feature
  • "I like the DNS layer security."
  • "It would be better if there was a little bit of flexibility for organizations that don't have SD One in their environment. Because of the complexity of the environment, it's not easy to actually turn on the feature of the secure internet gateway for our users. We have not been able to explore that option yet."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cisco Umbrella temporarily for DNS security, but we want to migrate to secure the internet gateway, which is what we are working on at the moment.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco Umbrella has improved our organization in the sense that we have more users working from home because of the pandemic. We have a lot of users working outside of the office.

Cisco Umbrella helps secure our environment more because we've deployed some of our applications to the cloud. Our 365 team applications are running on the cloud. Cisco Umbrella helps protect us by guiding threats in external parameters.

It's been helpful for us in the sense that we can see and guide what is coming into the enterprise using Cisco Umbrella in the cloud. This is good for users that are working outside of the office environment and working from other remote locations.

What is most valuable?

I like the DNS layer security.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there was a little bit of flexibility for organizations that don't have SD One in their environment. Because of the complexity of the environment, it's not easy to actually turn on the feature of the secure internet gateway for our users. We have not been able to explore that option yet.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for almost six months.

For stability, I will give it 30%

Scalability is okay. I think it has that functionality. Depending on the perspective of the environment, you can scale to any capacity you want because this is a cloud solution.

Technical support is okay.

We had issues with our traditional secure web gateway. Our environment is not entirely SD One supported yet. We had problems with the SWG device for dot com users. We got advice from Cisco that Cisco data can do the same functionality for that. So, we'll be using it.

We were using Broadcom as our secure web, but we had issues with the number of connections that it could handle. That's the setback, and that's why we're opting for the Cisco umbrella solution.

We have a partnership with a company here, and we have a partnership with Cisco. Most of our appliances in the environment are Cisco products, and we felt that going for a product from them would serve our data. We didn't look at other products.

This solution was deployed across different locations for different users.
We have six remote locations, and we have two data centers. It's deployed across all of those locations.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage potential users to go for it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Umbrella an eight.

John Okunade - PeerSpot reviewer
John OkunadeNetwork Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Top 10Real User

The introduction of Cisco umbrella into our infrastructure was a tremendous change. It has helped to protect the infrastructure better. Because every traffic exiting to the internet is now being filtered. Also combined with Cisco WSA for web proxy, it is a good one.

Download our free Cisco Umbrella Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022