We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Flexible, reasonable-priced, and it allows for backing up data from both on-premises and the cloud
  • "This is a very flexible product, which allows you to back up not only the physical environment but also the cloud environment."
  • "The integration with SaaS applications like Office 365 needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas Backup Exec is one of the backup and recovery solutions that we implement for our clients. This product is used to implement a backup repository to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

This is a very flexible product, which allows you to back up not only the physical environment but also the cloud environment. It has a lot of system and application support.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it were possible to maintain the information that is in the cloud. The integration with SaaS applications like Office 365 needs to be improved.

We have been selling Veritas Backup Exec for a few months, and Veritas NetBackup for 14 years.

This is a stable solution.

Veritas Backup Exec is a scalable product. This product is used for smaller customers, whereas NetBackup is used more as an enterprise solution.

I have not had end-user experience with the Veritas technical support.

We also work with Veritas NetBackup.

I am not familiar with the installation process, but my understanding is that it's simple.

This product is priced for smaller customers.

What other advice do I have?

Veritas Backup Exec is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

CAD Engineer at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Great backup solution with good file option feature, SQL and EM agent; user friendly

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is as backup for our file servers, SQL, things like that. We're a customer of Veritas and I'm a CAD engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the open file option, SQL agent, and the EM agent. It's a user friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

This is a very good product. I've been comparing it to some DR solutions, there are some products that include disaster recovery which Veritas is lacking for now. It's possible that they will include it in the next release. We're looking for something with a DR backup.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

In general, the stability is good, but we do sometimes…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

In general, the stability is good, but we do sometimes have issues. The documentation is very good so any issues can be solved.

We are a small company and I'm the only person using this product so we haven't tried scaling it. I think the next version, NetBackup, includes the option to expand.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward and only takes about half an hour. We do upgrade patches when new releases come through and also carry out regular maintenance.

The pricing of this solution is moderate, I believe.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
It integrates well with Microsoft solutions
  • "I like that Backup Exec integrates with Microsoft Exchange. We can retrieve backups from the email boxes."
  • "We've experienced some performance issues with Backup Exec. The backup jobs take too long to complete."

What is our primary use case?

We use Backup Exec to back up our virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We've experienced some performance issues with Backup Exec. The backup jobs take too long to complete. And in the future, I'd like to see the option to export backups to the cloud, so we have more room and protection.

Backup Exec is stable, but there are performance issues.

Backup Exec's scalability is good. We have 400 virtual machines supported by two instances of Backup Exec.

Veritas technical support is okay.

We were using Commvault, but we switched because Backup Exec integrates with Microsoft solutions better.

Setting up Backup Exec was complex, but it only took one day. We had help from resellers and consultants. In total, we had five people on our deployment team.

We pay for a yearly license. It's the standard fee plus paid support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas Backup Exec nine out of 10. My only advice is to make sure you have enough hardware to install the platform.

Chief Technology Officer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
It provides good protection from attack, and setup is straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We have about 500 devices, so we want to make sure they are backed up online and protected from attack. Another use case is to back up a client's SharePoint platform. It's SharePoint 2019 SQL. We use Backup Exec to back up that application and the server and restore after a disaster.

What needs improvement?

One area that needs improvement is SQL backup. Backup Exec doesn't support higher availability. Higher availability is when you have two servers that can fail over each other. Veritas can’t back up sql when it’s on high availability

We've been using Backup Exec for three years now.

Backup Exec is stable.

What do I think about the scalability of

What needs improvement?

We've been using Backup Exec for three years now.

Backup Exec is stable.

Backup Exec is scalable.

Veritas has a good support system you can contact when you're having issues. It's very easy.

Setting up Backup Exec is straightforward. It took less than two weeks to get it up and running. You need maybe two people at most if you have a Veritas-certified engineer.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veritas Backup Exec nine out of 10. If you're implementing this product, make sure you get your requirements right from the start. You need to know what you want to achieve with Veritas.

Engineering Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution with a straightforward setup, but the price could be better
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I do not know which version we are currently using, as I am a sales manager and, consequently, cannot expand too much on the solution's technical aspects.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec for four or five years.

The solution is stable.

I do not have direct experience with tech support.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

The solution could be more cost-effective.

I do not know how much the solution costs on a monthly or annual basis. I do not possess information concerning the price.

What other advice do I have?

We do the integration of the solution.

At present, there is only one user, a backup administrator, making use of the solution.

One of our customers in New York City made preparations for a DR site, but the project they had planned for this year was delayed by a year or two owing to COVID-19. It seems to me that the customer likely needed the same solution in the DR site.

I rate Veritas Exec Backup as a five or six out of ten.

Project Manager at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to install and manage, stable and scalable, but the pricing could be improved

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and reseller. We use this solution for a client.

What is most valuable?

Veritas Backup Exec is easily managed.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is an area of improvement and the mode of marketing it.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec for more than five years. I began using it before it became Veritas, it was previously a product under Symantec.

Stability is one of the best features of Veritas Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec is a scalable product. Most of our clients are medium and enterprise-sized organizations.

The…

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and reseller. We use this solution for a client.

What is most valuable?

Veritas Backup Exec is easily managed.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is an area of improvement and the mode of marketing it.

Stability is one of the best features of Veritas Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec is a scalable product.

Most of our clients are medium and enterprise-sized organizations.

The technical support is okay.

We don't use the support frequently, only when there is a problem.

We have worked with other solutions before Veritas Backup Exec.

The initial setup is easy and quite user-friendly.

The pricing can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend purchasing this solution and try it yourself.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec a seven out of ten.

Executive Head Cloud Services at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Stable, reliable, and comes with good support
  • "Its reliability and the fact that we have all the skills that we need for Veritas Backup Exec are the most valuable."
  • "They can improve the reporting component. The reports aren't user-friendly at all. You have to download them to Excel to get statistics."

What is most valuable?

Its reliability and the fact that we have all the skills that we need for Veritas Backup Exec are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the reporting component. The reports aren't user-friendly at all. You have to download them to Excel to get statistics.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec for five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

They have always been good.

Its price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are very happy with Veritas, and we work with them consistently for our servicing. We are a reseller, and we have been their Value Added Reseller of the Year three times.

This solution has been good for us. We have had good support. It is very stable, and it works for our customers. Only the reporting feature needs to be fixed.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Services at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is stable but needs to update the technology
  • "It's quite stable, and so far, we have had no technical issues with Veritas Backup Exec."
  • "The backup is not robust enough when you have a lot of technology."

What is most valuable?

The automation, backup, database backup, and SQL module are valuable features.

It is quite stable as well.

What needs improvement?

They need to make sure that they follow the technology and update in general to be up with modern technologies.

The backup is not robust enough when you have a lot of technology.

I've been working with this solution for seven years.

It's quite stable, and so far, we have had no technical issues with Veritas Backup Exec.

The initial setup was simple. It takes about 8 people to maintain the operational side of things.

Licensing depends on the part of the backup you're using. If you have SQL backup, then you must have a SQL license. If you have normal data backup, you would require a license for that.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at six.

Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.